bratton is a winner

Discuss Hispanic gangs, Southsiders, Sureños in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: bratton is a winner

Unread post by Noog » June 4th, 2004, 9:39 am

I can see that this thread hasn't been touched for a while. Shame cos its so full of intelligent, thought through stuff. So I want to respond, as an observer from overseas.

I live in London. Rich rich town. Every rich town has ghettos tho'. I live in a borough called Hackney. Much of Hackney is ghetto - large housing estates (equiv of US 'projects'), high youth unemployment, high levels of drug abuse, gun crime and violence. A tough place to grow up.

Last night on TV I saw a documentary about Chief Bratton and his attempts to bring his 'successes' in reducing crime from New York to LA. As far as I could see, he has failed dramatically. The focus of the doc was on South East LA, patrolled by the South East Division of the LAPD. Now Hackney is a tough area, but boy, those areas in SE LA were somethiong else again man. Nineteen murders in one weekend, stuff like that. We have one or two by comparison. Man, the gang life seemed so entrenched, carved in stone almost. So much murder and violence. They were looking at one little gang, I think they were called K Mob and that one of 'em had blasted a cuopole of cops with a shotgun.

What was shocking for me was this - a whole community so brutalised, traumatised, fearful beyond belief, disempowered, at the very bottom of the pile. What shocked me was that those neighbourhoods are in one of the richest states in the richest country in the entire world! And it resembled downtown Kingston in Jamaica, real third world.

What shocked me was that Bush asked for and got 9 Billion Dollars for the war in Iraq and cuts any resources getting into the varrios/ghettos/hoods.

I fear that the banal and tragic truth is that the US Government are so institutionally racist to the core, that they jsut do not care one little bit about the fate of so many of God's children in the ghettos. They do not care that the place is saturated with drugs and guns, as long as the police can keep the ghetto residents seperate from white / middle-class America. Thats what the police do. As long as the problems of inner-city LA are out of sight and out of mind, then those politicians are happy to let the ghettos rot.

Bratton asked LA Council for more police officers and resources. In New York there are around 40,000 police. In LA there are around 9,000 and a bit! Buit I must remember that it aint all 'bout police numbers to sort the thing out a little. Its about social justice on a large scale and the police arnt demonstrating that they can deliver on that side eh! Its about all of those issues that the people writing these threads have talked about. RESOURCES> EDUCATIONAL ACCESS>JUSTICE- HOUSING - TRAINING - ACCESS TO A HOPE AND A FUTURE.

So who can bring change then. Cheif Bratton? Even from here, thousands of miles away....nah, he cant do it. Who can? Somehow, I hope to believe that the answers lie within those communities themselves, hidden in the thoughts of people like you who posted on this flow. One man can change the world.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » June 4th, 2004, 5:19 pm

Conman wrote:
NYorker wrote:You know what's sad is this:
1: If the cops lay off of the gangbangers and let anarchy rise then ya'll will say they don't care about the Black and Latino community.
2: In their effort to stop crime and make your neighborhoods safe they step up enforcement for smaller "quality of life crimes" then ya'll will say they are racist and coming down too hard on you!!!
3: Bratton & Guliani's quality of life crime initiative REALLY worked in NYC and made it a safer place.....THAT'S A TRUE FACT.
Someone said something about a gulag...what are we supposed to do with violent felons? Give them a suite at a 5 star hotel? NO!!!! Put their ass in jail and try to rehabilitate them!!!
Blacks complain about the cops being racist....maybe some are....but blacks are the ones KILLING other blacks at alarming rates!!! The same goes for Latinos in those areas.
If you are living clean and have nothing to hide....then don't worry about being pulled over and questioned by the police soon they will identify you as a "good guy".
I am soooo sick of the black and latino apologist making up such BS excuses for the community, in my opinion it helps spread and give continuity to the BS that's going on now! People know right from wrong....basically.
Many people's values are so F'd up and that's how our communities are in shambles!!! Excuses suck and cripple our communities .....accountability & self respect will help our communities be stronger!!!!
My last thing:
I am so tired of the puzzy azz excuse that "the CIA bought crack into our communities" so the F what!!! It didn't mean we had to take it!!! It didn't mean that after "we" (I never did) took it and saw how F'd up it could be ....that we had to deal it and fight and kill each other over territory to F more people's lives up by dealing it to them! Noooo before anyone comes up with the excuse "that's the only way we can make money" that's another false BS excuse...go to school , get a job, start your own business. I've seen Central Americans come over here and ride a bicycle and a year later have their own cars through something called HARD WORK. Sooo many of the same fools that deal drugs and kill each other because of a color or gang affiliation or mistaken identity, will say "I love my Black/brown people" yeah right! If you did ya'll would have been more unified and stuck together instead of killing each other...worse than animals.
I say this out of love and concern for my people....black, brown, white, asian etc...not hate. Peace.
^^^
I can not agree with everything you wrote there fella.

That's cool bro, we all have different perpectives on things. I know we both want what's best for our communities.

Bratton may have sold the quality of life initiative in NY, but LA is a whole different animal. The "Broken Windows" technique will not work here in LA.
Conman , I know a lot of people out in Cali seem to think the brothers here in NY are soft( I am not saying you) we may not have had such organized gangs as you but we had a smaller type of gangs called Posses and there were a lot of killings etc out here, the NYPD though is 3 times larger than the LAPD and the initiatives did work out here.

You mention accountability......I agree with you but "LEADERSHIP" is needed greatly in the Black community.

We agree there brother as well as on many other things(boxing etc.)

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 7th, 2004, 9:58 am

Help me here -

What is the essential differences between the cities New York and Los Angeles in relation to the seeming intractability of gang impacted life in LA?

Why did things work in NY, when they clearly are not working in LA?

Did Bratton collude with that Mayor in NY, Guillianni (cant spell his name) and just lock up hundreds of young people from ethnic communities for minor things, using the 'Taxi Driver' approach ("someday a real rain'll come 'n wash all the scum off the sidewalk..etc"!) and locking young people up for nothing much, the zero tolerance thing?

Is that what he wants to do in LA, zero tolerance?

Anyhow, things seem to have got so bad out there that it is fast resembling a hidden civil war. I heard that more young people have been killed in LA in one year than have American soldiers in Iraq! I just cant get over the fact that LA is in the richest state in the richest couintry in the world......

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » June 10th, 2004, 2:36 pm

It's pretty surprising but don't let the stats mislead you into thinking all of CA is a warzone because it's not.

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » June 10th, 2004, 6:10 pm

Noog wrote:What is the essential differences between the cities New York and Los Angeles in relation to the seeming intractability of gang impacted life in LA?
^^^
Gangs are a way of life in LA. Nearly everyone (Black, brown, or Asian) has some sort of connection (family, friends, lovers, etc.).
Noog wrote:Why did things work in NY, when they clearly are not working in LA?
^^^
My opinion...the Broken Windows technique does not work in LA because of the city's spreadout structure, and the organization and history of LA gangs. Gangs are deeply embedded in the neighborhoods/jails of LA and have been for generations.

NY has major crime, but LA is another type of animal. An animal that I don't believe an outsider with other ambitions can handle.
Noog wrote:I heard that more young people have been killed in LA in one year than have American soldiers in Iraq!
^^^
As many other large cities; check NY, Chitown, and Houstons stats, they will probably resemble LA (or Iraq).

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » July 10th, 2004, 3:29 pm

Since gangs have been part of society since prior to the inception of the founding of the US, thats a clear indication that gangs are going no where, EVER. We need to educate those that are anti-gang, that there are ways to work with and communicate with gangs.

We can try to reduce the conflict and serious crime committed, but the eradication of gangs would be the wrong philosophy to do to deal with gangs. I think the police, for the first time , are realizing this.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » May 26th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Since Chief Bratten took over the helm of the LAPD, I can personally feel that crime has gone down overall in L.A.

The Chief is out there puttin' in work all day and every day. You don't see fools hanging around posted up like back in the day.

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Hispanic gangs”