bratton is a winner

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
mcowen

bratton is a winner

Unread post by mcowen » May 17th, 2003, 3:19 am

He has had success in New York and Boston when crime was really bad in those cities. He was hired in Los Angeles because he is considered a great chief with a flawless track record. He will succeed in Los Angeles, and the gangs will be no more. :!:

Unread post by Guest » May 28th, 2003, 1:32 pm

i think that gang banging will never stop.unlike other crime orginizations gangs don't have leaders. so gangbanging lives in the heart of every member. in the mafia you take out the head you take out everyone. i think bratoun should quit while he is still ahead.

bree

i think ya mean weiner no winner

Unread post by bree » June 4th, 2003, 3:08 pm

wow...i was really suprise ta find a post flatterin bratton on this site.
first off a war on poverty, on us, is not always equil ta crime. an that while fo sho' crime can be in some ways curbed when it is done so through B/S tough on crime litigation that targets minorities (such as STEP, gang injunctions, etc etc) an violates civil rights, well that ain even coo.

ima try an keep this somewhat brief an urge anyone who want to holla at me at bree@streetgangs.com fo more background or whatever do so.

relief ain finna come from no wack police chief. it will only come from within our own communities. look back at history of LA, the rampart scandal...they police (and they racist policies) that they put on the streets are the biggest thugs around.
the reality is no matter what they say in the press they don't even wanna end gang warfare. how else can ya explain the fact that there are gov issue guns all over the hood in the hands of gang members. these laws an policies are not about endin crime, jus keepin it where they want it...in the hood away from they perfect white world.
again, relief is only finna come from within us. we need to elevate our own minds an the minds of each other not expect the outside to care, because they ain finna care because it don't sevre them to do so. we still live in segregation. white supremacy has been created over an over again by laws that target an criminalize minorities an poor people since the emancipation of slaves in the 1960's an segregation in the 1960's. dang, right now 86% of suburban whites livein in places with a black population of less than 1%. we get left with weak school, no books, broken down teachers who are scared of they students rather than concerned with they futures. when i GRADUATED school in LA i read on a 5th grade level.
these legistations an wars on poverty/drugs/crime/gangs....US are only about servin the white power hold. they address symptoms, not the problems.
what about jobs? i mean real livin wage jobs. access to good educatio? free schools, with good teachers, vocational trainin. Health care?
ima end this about here, tho i could go on at length. i urge yall to study history an make sence of this system that we live in. empower yoself an your loved ones. if you wish ta contact me do so an i can send ya readin materials on history, the system, etc.
foward always backwards never.

BIG DUSTY LOCO

Well

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » June 5th, 2003, 4:47 pm

I agree with you Bree on certain points, but there comes a time when a MAN emerges from being a BOY. I gangbanged when I was younger, I know the pain, and Rampart wasn't no joke, especially when they clocked your ass in a dark alley with no one around. But let's be real here, gangs wasn't nothing positive coming out of it at all. Anyone familiar with the lifestyle knows the downward spiral it leads to. Let me ask you this, aside from the blatant racism, amerikkkan colonialism/imperialism, and distorted histories taught in public schools, why is the smaller gang-member population requiring a huge amount of budget to address them? It's because these kids can't get it together. You mix in the drugs/alcohol abuse, continued cycle of UNEDUCATION, rampant availability of murder weapons dropped into the hood...you get what you get. But what about all the "hooks" and "squares" that live in the hood? What keeps them from bangin' senselessly? I think they are the real G's in the hood, they fight off peer pressure and go about their business you know. They don't blame every single thing that happens in their lives on everyone else. Taking responsibility for your actions is a right to manhood, across all races/creeds/colors. Look at Alonso, he's got degrees, not in murder, but scholarly degrees...paper that holds weight in this world we live in. I'm not black, I don't claim to be black, but I do respect and honor the fight that all the true G's fought...G's like Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey, Dr. King, The Black Panthers,etc. These cats fought for civil liberties in the U.S. that the rest of us minorities take luxury too. We all owe them what we now experience in our lives here in the states. I should hope that the youngsters of today realize who they are, where they come from, and what they need to be in order to further the betterment of the communities they came up in.

This police chief Bratton, he's a politician all the way through. As long as he's doing his job in keeping crime down and encouraging postive police/community relations, he should be all right. You'd be a fool to think he's some kind of savior, he didn't ride up in here to be that, he took the job to get a paycheck and some politrix points. L.A. is a very racial place. If you look back into Los Angeles history, you'd find some crazy things about the hoods you now live in. Check it out sometime...who these cats were that got streets named after them...Adams, Crenshaw, etc...

stay up...

bree
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

HIS- story

Unread post by bree » June 6th, 2003, 4:10 pm

yea, i agree on some points with ya as well.
for the reccord, i did also grow up in inner city LA, graduated HS with a 5th grade eduaction an then in my 20's began to see an value education an educate mysself. i obtain a schlorship ta college an am about to graduate next year. i have fought very hard fo everythin i have in life, but also was blessed by GOD with some serious luck.
as per history, that is my topic ah choice, problem bein that most of what we taught is rewritten to take the rebellion out an we are left with only a partial (at best) understandin. i agree that the cycle of uneducation in the hood is pitiful, but when presented with the learnin structures an all that we are given, i think it is understandable. i do believe that if kids were taught things that related to them, they would stay in school.
also fo the reccord, i hope to bring what i have learned back to the hood. i have been greatly critized fo this, some ol ya don leave the hood only ta go back...but as i said before, relief will only come from us. i think that each of us has an obligation to where we are from an that i ain really comin up if i'm leavin so many behind.
which bring me back to the subject at hand. racist legislation will not fix this mess. an when you start messin with takin civil rights away, well its jus a slippery slope, because they will continue to take them away till we are left with nothin. an sure, the squares an all that might think its coo at first, that it is jus gang bangers rights, but it will build till it is theirs as well. we already still livin in segregation an to believe that mainstream white society really sees a poor black person from the hood as any different than a gang banger is an outright lie. always remember that racism is inhearant in the system.
i am thinkin of Malcolm X again how he stated about white people:
[/i]You can't change his mind about us. We've got to change our own minds about each other. We have to see each other with new eyes. We have to see each other as brothers and sisters. We have to come together with warmpth so we can develop unity and harmony that's neccessary to get this problem solved ourselves."
As fo the drugs, i mean where you think those came from? how bout those gov issue guns all over the hood? the reason they sink so much time, PR an $$$ into the war on gangs is to perpetuate the fear that society has of them so that in turn they can justify they measures an take our rights an again reaffirm they own power an domination.
i think thats it fo now....holla
bree

BIG DUSTY LOCO

true...

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » June 6th, 2003, 9:54 pm

Racist practices and inherent undertones in the "system" is still here, no doubt about that. But let me ask you, you throw upon a people slavery, massacre, brainwashing, cultural sabatoge, genocide, drugs, weapons of mass destruction...the black man has not fallen!!! Jews were persecuted for thousands of years, they are not gone! I just think that over years of plotting and planning of negative virtues by the oppressors unto the oppressed, it's going to take a while before people wake up. True, the coca plant does not grow in our backyards. It's imported as any other commodity that's sold on a retail level. But who the hell told people to sell that stuff, to abuse that stuff? Is it the only way you can get paid on this here street? Man, thats a cop out, you don't see other people do that to themselves. True, it seems there are forces that "encourage" use and abuse in certain areas, but as a people, cats have to be strong and resist. C'mon, with this country's history of racial prejudice...the black man is still standing tall. There just ain't too many "strong" brothers on the same page. Some get lost in the system, wasting their warrior spirit on "unimportant" things.

stay up bree...holla back

bree
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

cop-out?

Unread post by bree » June 7th, 2003, 12:56 pm

naw, if ya look back at any time in history, when there are few options fo people they always turn to alternative ecomony....an besides there is substancial eveidence that crack was put inta the hood by the CIA.
as fo myself, i have been blessed to meet many strong brothas, my shout out to all them. madd love.
i know a lot of gang-bangers an ex-bangers (if there is such a thing), many of whom are beautiful, strong people who live by strict rules an codes an do much good fo the world. i think there are some fucced up views of what "all" gang-bangers are. an that goes back ta what i was sayin malcolm said re: relearnin how we look at each other an developin unity an fixin our own mess. i see a lot of gang members doin that.
and regardless of anythin else i will never say that restrictin someone's rights is aight. i mean why have rights then? if they can jus take them away?
foward always, backwards never....

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

time for change

Unread post by alexalonso » June 9th, 2003, 5:12 pm

The prison system along with the rest of the judicial corruption must change in order to change the streets.
Three square meals, workout facility, tv etc... Why would someone care to go there if they live in a place where welfare and food stamps becomes all a man can get by on? Of course they don't care to go fuck up a few innocent people walking down the street with a wrong colored shirt on.
If Billy Bratton wants to do anything, supply his force with a few uzi's, sawed off shotguns, PSG-1 sniper rifles and sit on the roofs, in the houses, in the trees of the streets where gangs roll. Just pick em off one by one. Until the prison system and all it sucks from the american people is changed, fighting gang with violence is the only option.
Would anyone be upset with one less gang member walking the streets and not sucking tax payers money? I doubt it.
Start going hardcore Billy, or nothing will be done. Actually, scare the living shit out of those who dare to get in the way of another human's gross happiness.

BIG DUSTY LOCO

"Legal" gangbanging?

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » June 10th, 2003, 9:21 am

In essence what your saying is that "legalized" gangbanging is okay? I think it's not right to give one person power to kill/murder another person. It's not a crime to be a member of a gang. It's only a crime when these gang members commit crimes as described in the state/federal penal codes. Remember, the original purpose for these sets were for community empowerment/upliftment/positivity against the racist white police gang and racist white youth gangs. The Chicano Pachuco's from the Zoot Suit Riots were reacting against the white youth military gangs (navy, marines, army). What gang members are now are far different from the past, but their enlistment into their set doesn't mean they are "immediate" criminals. It will take money in education, after-school programs, community involvement, and strict penalties to get things going. I think strenuous rigorous activity in prisons need to be re-enacted...chain gangs, hard labor. Giving these youngsters something to do while their locked up is a neccessity. They have too much time sitting around, devising and absorbing "negative" prison culture. I don't know why they haven't enlisted the youngsters into military boot camps, make them serve the country they live in. I think you can take the gangbanger and his mentality, and translate them into the military and it's codes. Both are similar, just the causes are drastically different. But fighting fire with fire, it's a losing battle and no one will learn anything from it. NO issues will be resolved with more killing. Only hate will be instilled and burn for as long as someone carries the torch, which is exactly the way rival gangs operate. LAPD gang vs. street gang? NO, I don't think so.

And losing rights? I think we as gang members lose our rights the minute we pull the trigger, the minute we sell that ten piece, the minute we do dirt. Actually, we just give our rights away, we give up on living in the society. With what I know now, I'd rather be a stand up G who never sold dope to a fiend, the same fiend that broke into somebodys car and stole CD's to fund his high. I'd rather be a stand up G who held down his neighborhood fist to fist, giving physical beatdowns to those that aggressed upon our domain, instead of shooting everything that moved. I'd rather be a stand up G who encouraged the peewees to get their high school diplomas, to stay in school, to try college. If most gangbangers travelled and saw how people live in third world countries like Africa, Latin America, Southeast Asia...they'd realize how good they got it here, they'd realize the opportunities they should be taking advantage of, instead of letting all these opportunities go. See, I put the "negative" hood business out of my life and I don't pass it down to the younger cats out there. I choose to be smart and enjoy the good life.

Power and Strength...

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Big D

Unread post by alexalonso » June 11th, 2003, 8:09 am

Big Dusty,

Your answer to my post was perfect. That is exactly the message I am putting out. Of course fighting fire with fire never wins. It's the simple facts of what you said;
"It will take money in education, after-school programs, community involvement, and strict penalties to get things going.
This is where we need to not have a prison system that is so giving to the criminal in unproductive ways and more giving in ways that will only help him make it in the world. The only way is to increase the education in both prisons and cities. The obvious formula would be to hang instead of inject, but only before complete DNA evidence proves them guilty. Does the American civilian have any idea how much money is being sucked from those that live in the state of a man on death row? That money would be enough to supply the education, after-school programs etc...
How about forcing companies like Nike to move their labor force from Vietnam to upstate New York or any other prison locale.
Then, give each worker in the prison a bank account. Pay them what you pay those in Vietnam to work. Only this time, a man who gets out of prison has a little something to live on and the lesson of work=reward.
You can't just put a man in prison and let him go, calling him rehabilitated. That's the most foolish thing I have ever heard. He must be ready for the world and more importantly excited about the opportunities he will have when his day comes.
All we can do is pray for now, especially for those men and women (thousands) who are on death row and do not belong there.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » June 24th, 2003, 2:38 pm

You guys talk about square but the whole system is square. That's why the culture is not raising up ready to support some of the ideas in the last two posts before this one.

Do you really think Nike and the politicians wouldn't create a program exactly like that if 80% of the population was clamoring for it. Nike and the politicians would fall over themselves in a rush to get it done if it served their own needs. If it brought glory, praise, and much more money to them. In the end, I fear the reason is that not enough people care.

Most find it far easier and safer to putt between a nice home, the golf course, work, and favorite watering holes than it is to be a part of something demanding, dramatic, and life changing for everyone involved including themselves. It takes a real missionary zeal to bring real change. And I'm not kidding about that.

Your thoughts?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Truths

Unread post by alexalonso » June 25th, 2003, 9:17 am

WC,
The culture definitely won't rise up to do something dramatic as what I presented because of the 'we want results now' mentality that the average ignorant voter thinks.
I know the politicians and Nike would create a program like mine if the average American took some time to look at a few truths. For one, how many terrorists do you know? Secondly, in order to identify a terrorist, terrorism must be defined and understood.
Terrorism: The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.
Thirdly, the American’s mindful belief regarding the fight against terrorism is related to horrible events such as the 911 attack and Al-Qaeda War, 1st World Trade Center Bombing, Khobar Towers, Riyadh bomb, US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, and the USS Cole, Oct. 2000.
The reality of this mindset is that American people prefer to fight against those who have killed a combined 3,326 est. people since 1993.
WTC, Pentagon, Pennsylvania (September 11th, 2001): 3,018 killed
1st World Trade Ctr Bombing (February 26th, 1993): 6 killed
Khobar Towers (June 25th, 1996): 19 killed
Riyadh bomb (November, 13th, 1995): 5 Americans, 2 Indians k.; 4 suspects executed.
US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania (August 7th, 1998): 259
USS Cole (October 2000): 17 US sailors + 2 bombers
TOTAL: **3,326**

The sad truth of the matter is that in 1998 alone, a total of **16,926** persons died of drug-induced causes in the United States. The category 'drug-induced causes' includes not only deaths from dependent and nondependent use of drugs (legal and illegal use), but also poisoning from medically prescribed and other drugs. That statistics doesn’t even take into account, accidents, homicides, and other causes indirectly related to drug use. Also excluded are newborn deaths due to mother's drug use." The total number of deaths in the US in 1998 was 2,337,256.
Thus, the real war we should be fighting is the drug war, but for some reason the country prefers to choose fighting and paying a lot of money for something that we cannot see. I guess it’s easier that way because they don’t have to stare themselves or their children and friends in the face.

Quick note: The FBI, after 911, took 400 of its combined 11,000 officers off of the anti-drug task force.
Is it just me, or is this country and the government far from understanding the truth?
You said the whole system is square. If you mean square in the slang sense of, a person who is regarded as dull, rigidly conventional, and out of touch with current trends, then I most definitely disagree with you. The trend of the government is way out of touch with the current trend of the terrorism from drugs.
The real missionary zeal will only occur when the American people change and open their ears and eyes to reality.

AJ-

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » June 25th, 2003, 10:01 am

I stand behind my previous post. The apathy of the many toward the ghetto from middle America and up is a reality. Now there are many exceptions thank God. But it is what it is. Most people have the mental and physical ability to choose what they want to do and they exercise it accordingly to how it best benefits themselves. My view on the apathy argument may change in time but right now that is it.

Your stats look look legit to me so for the purpose of this discussion; I accept them. And if every illegal drug could disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow, in my humble opinion, the world would be a better place. But there is a sense in America that we have lost the real war on drugs and now just fight to keep the flood back. There is a sense among voters that it is not a problem that is going to be defeated yet still important to control.

Terrorism is a serious issue. We really did need to start dealing with it appropriately after 911 (but carefully so as to protect individual freedoms of citizens) so that 3,326 doesn't become 3,000,326 as a result of a nuclear explosion in a major city because we didn't deal correctly with the threat ahead of time. For that scenario, prevention is the only cure and there are no 100% guarantees. There is just what we do.

Still, however, don't even get me started on the fears that Homeland Security may someday turn into a monster shredding individual freedoms like a paper shredder tears into paper. Geesh!

AJ

Unread post by AJ » June 26th, 2003, 8:10 am

Basically you are trying to tell me that since the drug war is too large to defeat, then we turn to something that could possibly cause a nuclear explosion.
I guess the death toll from drugs isn't an overnight explosion and thus we ignore it.
Can someone please explain why we have spent more money on fighting terrorism in the last two years than on the drug war in the last ten years.
I agree with you in that all voters care to do is contain the war on drugs.
What in the world shall we ever do? Just go on and putt between the lines I guess.

AJ

BTW. Homeland Security already has grown some body hair and a few iron teath. Definately another monster shredding individual freedoms is growing.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » June 27th, 2003, 11:24 am

i think brees and dusty both right...but dusty you wanna stand like a g and protect yo hood with yo fist , just like old school bangaz back in the dayz ,when we use to believe in martial arts, but if you protect your hood with your fist nowadays you gonna end up in custody, and protect your hood 3 time and youll end up in pelican bay 4 life . i really agree with bree i know a gang of homies who are doing a gang of positiv things around them like the homie daddy v selling cds at the swamp meet or sylvio frum majestics car all those homies are still down with their hood and they are positiv and honestly selling weed never kill nobody ... i stopd school when i was 12 i went thru a lots of shit then i did sum boxing went in the navy and since that day iv decided to travel around the world but werever i go im reppin my hood and my set yes ima banga but i dont think i deserv to fell victim of how i look like or were im from fucc prejudice most of young males from compton are down with a set is it a crime?

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

true

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » June 27th, 2003, 4:10 pm

bgCASPERsscc,

What I meant about the holding down your hood with fist was to promote life through struggle, not death. True, it's not like the old days and the streets are definitely full of dishonorable people. As a boxer, you have learned about discipline as it pertains to your physical and mental being. On the street, you learn how to survive by any means necessary. If we brought it back to the "old school", learning how to box is a win win situation. To those punks out there that are scared of a good old fashioned ass whoopin', them cats will always go to the gun 100% of the time simply cuzz they can't back up their walkin. But to the G's out there that give it their all toe to toe, they learn to respect and earn respect by their skills. No one can take that away. I understand the street law dictates more image than personal gain, nobody wants to look like a punk in front of his homeboys, but thats where this cycle fails to teach the youngsters. You might get knocked down, but you can always get back up, never give up, never let up...or better yet "can't stop won't stop". I know it's way too late to even think about boxing in the street, I'm just rappin' to you on a "wish" level. You've made a definite change in your life that is positive for you and yours, more power to you. You've overcome the hood politics and haters...keep it positive.

And your right as well, being a gang member is not a crime. When the cops mess with the youngsters on the block, they are people too with their own prejudices from their own experiences. They bring all that to their job, and whether it's right or wrong, they do it. Let's be real here though, if you look like a G, your just running the risk getting harrassed. That's just the cost to pay when you walk the streets like a boss I guess. Stay up...

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: bratton is a winner

Unread post by stateraised2000 » July 25th, 2003, 3:28 am

"in the mafia you take out the head you take out everyone."

cant agree with you on this one, you take out the head and another one takes his place, thats partly why the mob has a "commission" to deal with that. just like in ALL hoods you smoke a shot caller and someone will only take over...there aint NEVER gonna be an end to hoods and gangbanging. its been around for hundreds of years. bratton aint gonna solve the situation, the police adapt, the homies adapt... im sure theres been other people in his position who have more game than him, what happened? aint nada changed, just got worse. the change gotta come from within the lifestyle...and not by FORCE! that aint never gonna fix shit. speaking only for myself, if the SYSTEM or ANY PERSON IN SO-CALLED AUTHORITY gonna try and MAKE me do something then i'm gonna rebel and make it a point to do the opposite of what them fools be telling me. i'm sure im not the only one out there that feels this way...that dont mean im gonna run out there and try and blast one of them, it means im gonna go into the slick mode and get over as long as i can. you will get caught, aint no avoiding that, or get smoked, but thats all part of the game. i think you giving this guy bratton too much credit. he aint no savior of the mean streets. theres too many of the homies and only some of them, while they watching or chasing one set 50 other sets are getting over, it aint nothin but a "merry go round" and it aint never gonna change till the peeps MAKE it change...

MID TOWN

Unread post by MID TOWN » July 29th, 2003, 8:00 pm

gangs will never die, just like over here in the midtown area, for a minute all the gangs around here where diein out, loosin hella members. But now the gangs are buildin up agian recruiting members here and there. Like I kno schoolyards jump people on the hood in juvenile hall regardless of what the person says, they put him on the hood and make him ride fo em.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » July 30th, 2003, 2:48 pm

tuslic,

That's how I remember some crips jumped in people. There would be certain days that they just recruited people by jumping them in, whether they wanted to or not. The whole school was talking about it and nobody wanted to look a PBGC or LBGC in the eye, in fear of being chosen...LOL. The PBGC's jumped in my homie when we were in junior high. He kept telling them that he wasn't down with it, so he had to fight them for days straight, each one of them. I think they were hoping it would change his mind and just join up with them, but instead my homie just did what he had to do and fought all of them each day until they said it was squashed. He always came to school the next day with a new bruise or wound...LOL.

Its just a cycle gangs go thru though, from inactive to very active. It just takes one cat to get a fire up his ass to start some beef with somebody, and another cat to be down to oppose that person. Two opposing forces.

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 23rd, 2003, 7:23 pm

For real, homie, I don't think anybody can hope to end gangbanging. One thing is that mafia is different from Crips/Bloods. Also, you can try injunctions and busting gang leaders, but it still won't die off.

pimpedoutgucisuit

Unread post by pimpedoutgucisuit » November 3rd, 2003, 8:59 pm

Sup ppl. i just want to clear one thing up right here right now. what branton did in nyc had no influence in my hood. i dont remember who said it but someone said that he was like a hero or somthin like that. all he is is a cop thatcame up with a plan to stop gang bangin..... if i had said to someone important that i could stop bangin and showed them that in a FEW select areas my idea worked i could be where branton is right now. but dont anyone make the mistake of thinkin he is there to help yall. he dont give a sh it about yall trust. no pig ever cared. all he wants is to make a name for himself. on Ft green (my street) we have the protection of the MM. we are in the heart of their turf and i speak for my whole family when i say that i am greatful to them and their brother gangs HB and PHTL i am not a gangster never was. i am proud of that but it hurts me to see my homies dien and bein carted off ta jail. heres how it is. straight up, it is not how many Gs are put down in the dirt nor how many gangs are desolved because if u look at what happened with the originals like malcom and the black panthers when they were taken, all a sudden there were a whole lot a small homies creatin clicks so they could survive. it isnt that my homies blame anyone else for their mistakes they know who they are and have no fantasies about it. its the fact that they dont know how to get out. i feel for my 3 brothers and anyone else who is still bein strangled by the concrete jungle i hear constantly that the police or the priest or the schools are gonna do somethin to help us out of the hood.... but they dont! the bible says that u can not fight fire with fire and expect to win. those were words spoken by the greatest man to ever walk the earth. and comon sence tells us that is true. if we want gang violence to stop then we need to get rid of the hatred and the bitterness. that is the answer. not no pompus prick who thinks he can play god on our home turf you know? i know that when someone steps onto mau mau turf they take their life into there owne hands. angels have no power to protect when u walk down my street, and the reason is that there is so much hatred out there and i am sure it is the same in yalls hoods.... one day though i am goin back to my home and i will bring as many homies as are willing out with me that is my goal that is why i am tryin to go back to school. i want to be a good influence on my brothers and sisters back home. and ppl like bratton are just makin it worse. thats all i had to say. thanx to whoever takes the time to read this.

From The Heart: yall stay pimpin.

Slim
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Slim » January 29th, 2004, 8:26 pm

Bratton is a piece of shyt. He is a politician in a uniform w/ a badge. He will finish his 5-years as Chief and seek higher office. LA is a stepping stone for him. The cops monitoring this web-site can tell you that because they probably cant stand his ass either.

ruthless

Unread post by ruthless » February 16th, 2004, 6:17 pm

I think Bratton will screwww up! They should follow up on the kiddie crap first. If they can't "a murder case" what makes you think he can fly. I think they need to find there dirty cops first before they look for trouble.

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » March 22nd, 2004, 10:42 am

If Bratton is who i think he is then (gangs in L.A.) are in trouble. Bratton might not be able to stop all gang activity, but i guaratee you that he will put a major decrease (in the crimes committed by gangs). I really hope Bratton is able to clean up L.A. to make it a safer place to live............
~DreamerGirl~

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 22nd, 2004, 1:37 pm

Most people want well adjusted people as their neighbors in Los Angeles DreamerGirl so they can get on with living life and having fun. Locking people up who commit real crime (as opposed to a lot of the BS that is called crime) is necessary in this world so they can't continue to terrorize. However, locking fools up and then not working hard to rehabilitate and also not getting at the root of the problem at the street level partnering with good churches and civic groups to offer real neighborhood education and empowerment programs that do create real change is a bad joke that is going to come back and bite hard someday. Basically your just locking people then warehousing them for a time and rereleasing them as part of the world's largest "catch and release" program. The cycle just gets bigger, the prison population grows, the agencies that prosper off this get bigger and politic for more and more money and power, etc.. "Crime" becomes a necessary commodity to many who prosper off it. Their livelihoods depend on it. It is not in their best interest to not have crime.

Unfortunately, it's really a lot deeper than that though when you put it in perspective from a historical and social context. The time of the 60's reformer is long passed and the many many people who benefited and saw their lives change during that period have passed peacefully after successfully reentering society. You can blame it on the modern glorification of gangsterism that hit in the 80's if you like. The clock has been pushed back into the 50's and I expect if things keep going they will be warehousing so many people on so many various charges (more laws creates more prisoners) it will blow your mind in twenty years. Will society sink back to the old 1920's holes and dungeons?

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » March 26th, 2004, 7:25 pm

CHIEF BRATTON IS LEADING THE CHARGE

As gangs rise, so do calls for US-wide dragnet

Los Angeles takes lead in cooperation effort, with national conference and regional database.

By Daniel B. Wood | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

LOS ANGELES – At one end of Sgt. Steve Edward's office is a list of Los Angeles county gang homicides, up last year to 184. At the other end hangs a national map peppered with colored push pins, showing the migration of L.A. gang members to every state in America.
The twin points of data highlight what l.a.w enforcement experts say is a sobering trend nationwide: Gang violence is up sharply, and increasingly police say the problem requires national - not merely local - solutions.

Now, even as Congress is considering a bill to vastly expand federal antigang efforts, Los Angeles is becoming a leading advocate for greater coordination among police jurisdictions and the FBI.

Local and statewide databanks are already operating across several jurisdictions, and police departments are working together to coordinate stings and drug busts, as well as share patrol cars, personnel, and even jail space. But L.A. police chief William Bratton says this must be viewed only as a start.

"No municipality in the country can solve this without help at the federal level," Mr. Bratton says in an interview here.

Not everyone agrees with Bratton that the FBI's focus should be as much on gangs as on the terrorist threat. But the problem is clearly on the rise. Across the country, youth-gang homicides spiked from 692 in 1999 to 1,100 in 2002.

Experts expect partnerships between l.a.w enforcement agencies to grow. "It's clearly time to develop a national strategy," says Matthew McLaughlin of the FBI in Los Angeles.

The FBI recently joined with Bratton and other national law enforcement officials to hold a conference on the challenge. Two more are to be held this year, to examine both the nature of the problem and how to create a larger, less permeable dragnet coast to coast.

Some analysts say such plans may be misdirected, arguing that Bratton overstates the extent of gang migration from such cities as Chicago and Los Angeles to rural and urban areas. "Bratton compares these gangs with the mafia, but they are no such thing. They are indigenous, local entities," says Malcolm Klein, professor emeritus at the University of Southern California who has studied gangs for 40 years.

But Bratton and others say the problem isn't getting enough attention.

"There is a giant need for Congress and [the] president to recognize that gangs are the emerging monster of crime in America," Bratton says. "The war on terrorism now needs to focus on domestic terrorism. People in America's biggest cities aren't concerned about a hijacked plane hitting their neighborhood as much as they are on edge about drive-by shootings and stabbings on their front lawns." And, he says, no city can face the challenge alone.

A case in point: Although L.A. recently made headlines by cutting its murder rate by 22 percent from the previous year, nearby jurisdictions are seeing a spike.

"Bratton has done a great job cracking down in Los Angeles," says David Berger, an assistant district attorney for the city of Lancaster, 90 minutes north of L.A. "Over the same exact period, our gang problem has shot sky high; His criminals are leaving there and coming here."

The Los Angeles Regional Gang Information Network was launched here last month by five regional districts. Used with the statewide intelligence database CalGang, the system is expected to multiply the coordination of antigang strategies. It can eliminate conflicts between two jurisdictions tracking the same criminals - and in some cases ensure greater safety by warning federal and local officers of drug busts planned for the same night.

"Until now, you had all these various law enforcement agencies more or less working alone," says Sgt. Frank Carey of the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department. "This is really a quantum leap in tracking crime and getting convictions."

Shared data collection - often put together after years of detective work on the street - has led to organized sting operations and has helped put 2,300 of L.A.'s most violent gang members in jail over the past decade.

"There are patterns to the way gangs move into an area; what businesses they infiltrate; how they affect education, health care, neighborhood employment," says L.A. Sheriff Lee Baca. "The point is we don't have a national strategy to deal with this and we need one."

Meanwhile, many police departments, faced with budget cuts, say they have had to commit resources to international antiterror operations. "[Congress] took the money from existing [domestic] programs, often those devoted to gangs," says Jonathan Miller, homeland security chief for the Los Angeles Police Department. "So now that all these same entities are looking for money to fight gangs, they are finding that it is all gone."

Now law enforcement departments are watching a bill by Sens. Orrin Hatch (R) of Utah and Dianne Feinstein (D) of Calif. that would pump $700 million into antigang efforts across the country, and make street-gang recruitment a federal crime.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » March 26th, 2004, 11:50 pm

"This is really a quantum leap in tracking crime and getting convictions."

Homies key on that quote. The gulag is going to be showing some serious numbers in ten to twenty years. I'll be in the old folks home thank God.

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » March 27th, 2004, 3:43 pm

Good post Commonsense. I see by this post, Bratton surely is going to take a bite out of crime.

~DreamerGirl~

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » April 8th, 2004, 5:19 pm

DreamerGirl wrote:Good post Commonsense. I see by this post, Bratton surely is going to take a bite out of crime.

~DreamerGirl~
^^He won't hang around long enough to see it. Bite out of crime.....he is all about statistics.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » June 1st, 2004, 8:26 pm

Conman wrote:
DreamerGirl wrote:Good post Commonsense. I see by this post, Bratton surely is going to take a bite out of crime.

~DreamerGirl~
^^He won't hang around long enough to see it. Bite out of crime.....he is all about statistics.
You know what's sad is this:
1: If the cops lay off of the gangbangers and let anarchy rise then ya'll will say they don't care about the Black and Latino community.
2: In their effort to stop crime and make your neighborhoods safe they step up enforcement for smaller "quality of life crimes" then ya'll will say they are racist and coming down too hard on you!!!
3: Bratton & Guliani's quality of life crime initiative REALLY worked in NYC and made it a safer place.....THAT'S A TRUE FACT.
Someone said something about a gulag...what are we supposed to do with violent felons? Give them a suite at a 5 star hotel? NO!!!! Put their ass in jail and try to rehabilitate them!!!
Blacks complain about the cops being racist....maybe some are....but blacks are the ones KILLING other blacks at alarming rates!!! The same goes for Latinos in those areas.
If you are living clean and have nothing to hide....then don't worry about being pulled over and questioned by the police soon they will identify you as a "good guy".
I am soooo sick of the black and latino apologist making up such BS excuses for the community, in my opinion it helps spread and give continuity to the BS that's going on now! People know right from wrong....basically.
Many people's values are so F'd up and that's how our communities are in shambles!!! Excuses suck and cripple our communities .....accountability & self respect will help our communities be stronger!!!!
My last thing:
I am so tired of the puzzy azz excuse that "the CIA bought crack into our communities" so the F what!!! It didn't mean we had to take it!!! It didn't mean that after "we" (I never did) took it and saw how F'd up it could be ....that we had to deal it and fight and kill each other over territory to F more people's lives up by dealing it to them! Noooo before anyone comes up with the excuse "that's the only way we can make money" that's another false BS excuse...go to school , get a job, start your own business. I've seen Central Americans come over here and ride a bicycle and a year later have their own cars through something called HARD WORK. Sooo many of the same fools that deal drugs and kill each other because of a color or gang affiliation or mistaken identity, will say "I love my Black/brown people" yeah right! If you did ya'll would have been more unified and stuck together instead of killing each other...worse than animals.
I say this out of love and concern for my people....black, brown, white, asian etc...not hate. Peace.

zzzz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by zzzz » June 1st, 2004, 11:53 pm

NYorker wrote:I am soooo sick of the black and latino apologist making up such BS excuses for the community, in my opinion it helps spread and give continuity to the BS that's going on now! People know right from wrong....basically.
Regardless, these issues must keep coming up...You can't just say "Fuck it" and forget about it and let the cops do whatever the fuck they want. They do that in a lot of third world countries, and guess how the cops are over there?? But no, we're not like those people, we're much more civilized right? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL! Anybody who has a badge and a gun and all that power in a place with a high crime rate, MUST be under extreme scurtiny, or else they eventually WILL abuse their power. Remember the Rodney King beating? I wonder how many other people that $h!t happened to before it was caught on tape? Yeah, Rodney King ran from the police and he was drugged up and they claim the procedure they used was routine. LOL. It's funny how we have had back to back episodes of COPS on FOX for how many years now? NEVER have we seen officers kicking and beating a guy on the floor repeatedly, aired on cops. No matter how many fleeing and/or drugged up suspects they encounter. You would think you would have seen this tonnes of times over the years, considering what happened on the King tape was so 'routine'. But anyways....who's to say, the same $h!t didn't happen to someone who didn't do all of that, and just was in the wrong place at the wrong time with some racist dick head cop?

I guess it has to happen to your "All-American average Joe" for anyone of importance to give a damn.

Conman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Conman » June 2nd, 2004, 2:53 pm

NYorker wrote:You know what's sad is this:
1: If the cops lay off of the gangbangers and let anarchy rise then ya'll will say they don't care about the Black and Latino community.
2: In their effort to stop crime and make your neighborhoods safe they step up enforcement for smaller "quality of life crimes" then ya'll will say they are racist and coming down too hard on you!!!
3: Bratton & Guliani's quality of life crime initiative REALLY worked in NYC and made it a safer place.....THAT'S A TRUE FACT.
Someone said something about a gulag...what are we supposed to do with violent felons? Give them a suite at a 5 star hotel? NO!!!! Put their ass in jail and try to rehabilitate them!!!
Blacks complain about the cops being racist....maybe some are....but blacks are the ones KILLING other blacks at alarming rates!!! The same goes for Latinos in those areas.
If you are living clean and have nothing to hide....then don't worry about being pulled over and questioned by the police soon they will identify you as a "good guy".
I am soooo sick of the black and latino apologist making up such BS excuses for the community, in my opinion it helps spread and give continuity to the BS that's going on now! People know right from wrong....basically.
Many people's values are so F'd up and that's how our communities are in shambles!!! Excuses suck and cripple our communities .....accountability & self respect will help our communities be stronger!!!!
My last thing:
I am so tired of the puzzy azz excuse that "the CIA bought crack into our communities" so the F what!!! It didn't mean we had to take it!!! It didn't mean that after "we" (I never did) took it and saw how F'd up it could be ....that we had to deal it and fight and kill each other over territory to F more people's lives up by dealing it to them! Noooo before anyone comes up with the excuse "that's the only way we can make money" that's another false BS excuse...go to school , get a job, start your own business. I've seen Central Americans come over here and ride a bicycle and a year later have their own cars through something called HARD WORK. Sooo many of the same fools that deal drugs and kill each other because of a color or gang affiliation or mistaken identity, will say "I love my Black/brown people" yeah right! If you did ya'll would have been more unified and stuck together instead of killing each other...worse than animals.
I say this out of love and concern for my people....black, brown, white, asian etc...not hate. Peace.
^^^
I can not agree with everything you wrote there fella.

Bratton may have sold the quality of life initiative in NY, but LA is a whole different animal. The "Broken Windows" technique will not work here in LA.

You mention accountability......I agree with you but "LEADERSHIP" is needed greatly in the Black community.

Bratton to me is simply padding his resume for a cushy Federal gig later on down the line. I do not believe in anything he is doing. Besides, he is an outsider and truly does not understand LA........based on the parts of that special I saw last night, he will eventually start to understand that he is not the right man for this job........

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”