Is East LA a City?

Discuss Hispanic gangs, Southsiders, Sureños in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
Beef
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Is East LA a City?

Unread post by Beef » May 23rd, 2004, 11:08 am

Is east LA a city of itself...i mean isnt there a "welcome to east la sign"? and dont the streets basically start at 1st street again once east la starts...i know im not explaining myself well...sorry for that...but can anyone answer my question....
thanks

Impala
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: East LA

Unread post by Impala » May 23rd, 2004, 6:19 pm

East L.A. the way I have always understood is basically divided between L.A. City..From the bridges over the L.A. River going east to Indiana Ave.
This area is called "Boyle Heights".

From Indiana Ave. to Garfield Blvd. (where Montebello begins) is unincorpirated L.A. County.
This is where you see the "Welcome to East L.A." on the street signs.

Like I said, to anyone who is from here; Boyle Heights and the county area is ALL EAST L.A.

Beef
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Beef » May 24th, 2004, 7:53 am

hey thanks a lot impala!
Didnt you mention you stay there...
i have never been there, to my knowledge...might of accidentally slipped in there when i was lost driving around...haha...but for no reason been in there...i have heard that its not nearly as bad as everyone says, and that a lot of people are really cool there and dont want no drama with anyone...

one more question...dont the streets start over in east la...like 1st, 2nd, etc....
thanks again

Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » May 24th, 2004, 12:19 pm

Tank wrote:hey thanks a lot impala!
Didnt you mention you stay there...
i have never been there, to my knowledge...might of accidentally slipped in there when i was lost driving around...haha...but for no reason been in there...i have heard that its not nearly as bad as everyone says, and that a lot of people are really cool there and dont want no drama with anyone...

one more question...dont the streets start over in east la...like 1st, 2nd, etc....
thanks again
Impala's info is pretty much accurate.

If you were to map East Los, it wouldn't be a perfect square or anything. The western border is the LA river; southern border is Olympic Blvd.; the east has a number of different borders because there isn't one street that divides the place; northern border is the area around the 10 freeway.

I wouldn't advise anybody to walk around like it's an amusement park or anything. To the best of my knowledge, if you look like a banger, you gonna get checked, and possibly shot at. If you just a regular person, minding your own bizness, respectful, and not acting stupid, you might be alright.

The western half (Boyle Heights) is patrolled by lapd and the eastern half is patrolled by LA sheriff's dept. but everything else is run by the city of LA: schools, parks, budgets, and all that other stuff.

Yes, 1st street start right at my hood on Mednik and 1st.

Beef
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Beef » May 24th, 2004, 7:16 pm

How many numbered streets are in east la

Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » May 24th, 2004, 8:56 pm

That's a strange question dawg but I would say that it goes down to around 11th or 12th street.

Beef
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Beef » May 26th, 2004, 10:16 am

sorry if you think it was a strange question...i was just curious how big the area was...thats all...
thanks tho'

Beef
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Beef » May 26th, 2004, 10:19 am

the reason i asked is because all cities are different...i didnt know if the streets in east la were the same streets that are in downtown or south central...understand?

MANDO

Unread post by MANDO » May 27th, 2004, 6:23 pm

THE LOTT 13 SURENO Gang

Varrio initials – TLS 13
O.G. Varrio Name – THE LOTT STONERS 13 Gang

Abbv name – LOTT X3, THE LOTT
Clicks – Locos, Chicos, Dukes, T.I.K., Tiny Dukes, Diablos, Los Boys

East Los 213 Area - (L.A. county will always be 213 to the O.G.’s)
Originated 1977

Varrio Slogan: Living On The Top
Note- this is only the varrio slogan, NOT the varrio name

Original 1st Hood – EAST LOS - Lado Viejo
This hood is home to the Locos, Chicos, T.I.K., and Diablos click ( some Dukes )

2nd Hood – EAST LOS - borders and crosses over into Montebello
This hood is home to the Dukes, Tiny Dukes, and Los Boys clicks (some T.I.K.)

3rd Hood – N.E. Huntington Park borderline with Maywood
The homies claim EAST SIDE out of respect and solidarity for the O.G. 1st Hood, even though technically they are SOUTH EAST.
This hood is home to the T.I.K. Click (other clicks come and hang-out / party)

Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » May 27th, 2004, 7:24 pm

Tank wrote:the reason i asked is because all cities are different...i didnt know if the streets in east la were the same streets that are in downtown or south central...understand?
No sweat, I aint trying to net bang. To answer your question, yeah, 1st street start there then it goes down to 12 or 13th street. They don't run all through the East Side though, just part.

Beef
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Beef » May 27th, 2004, 9:30 pm

hey thanks a lot...

creep alien
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by creep alien » July 26th, 2004, 4:39 am

the east la area yrs ago was called "sleepy lagoon"?

BIGG LISTO
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOS

Unread post by BIGG LISTO » September 7th, 2004, 8:58 pm

No it wasnt. Sleepy Lagoon was a swimming hole that Mexican kids went to in South East L.A. back in the days.

jsantana

Unread post by jsantana » November 8th, 2004, 2:53 pm

Sleepy Lagoon was a reservoir by the Los Angeles River. Frequented by Mexican Americans who were denied access to public pools, the swimming hole was named after a popular song of the time performed by big band leader and trumpet player Harry James. Research indicates the reservoir was near the city of Maywood at approximately 5500 Slauson Boulevard. Replaced by a plastic factory and and a U.S. Government warehouse facility, nothing remains of the reservoir once known as Sleepy Lagoon.

Source: http://www.sleepylagoon.com

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: Is East LA a City?

Unread post by alexalonso » April 14th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Beef wrote:Is east LA a city of itself...i mean isnt there a "welcome to east la sign"? and dont the streets basically start at 1st street again once east la starts...i know im not explaining myself well...sorry for that...but can anyone answer my question....
thanks

East Los Angeles is not a City and it is not part of the City of Los Angeles. It is unincorporated Los Angeles County, therefore it is policed by the Sheriff's department not LAPD. It shares a boundary with the City of Los Angeles on the north and west side (Indiana Street). Montebello and Monterey Park are to the east of East LA and City of Commerce is to the south.