Clanton Hoods

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Re: Clanton Hoods

Unread post by femun » June 12th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Clanton St. was renamed "14th place" not 14th St.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#lat=34.029277890 ... vt=m&trf=0

SHYSTER
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SHYSTER » June 12th, 2012, 9:05 pm

alexalonso wrote:Here is a map from 1978 that shows the four Clanton hoods. I always thought Pico-Union hood in Westlake was the first one.
That's an interested map. Is that map posted somewhere or do u have it? I would love to see how Los Angeles gangs have evolved since the 70's...

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » June 12th, 2012, 10:16 pm

SHYSTER wrote:
alexalonso wrote:Here is a map from 1978 that shows the four Clanton hoods. I always thought Pico-Union hood in Westlake was the first one.
That's an interested map. Is that map posted somewhere or do u have it? I would love to see how Los Angeles gangs have evolved since the 70's...

It my personal map based on some old files I was given about 1978.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 12th, 2012, 10:19 pm

This is the order of the Clantons as I see it

- 1st Hood: East Side
- 2nd Hood: Pico Union area
- 3rd Hood: Pico Western
- 4th Hood: Hollywood
- 5th Hood: North Hollywood

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 13th, 2012, 1:42 am

alexalonso wrote:This is the order of the Clantons as I see it

I think I figured it out. The 1st hood is actually the second hood, but the 1st Westside hood, and there is NO fifth hood. The North Hollywood hood is the 4th Hood and the last hood.

- Eastside Hood
- 1st Hood: Westside Pico Union area
- 2nd Hood: Pico Western
- 3rd Hood: Hollywood
- 4th Hood: North Hollywood

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 28th, 2012, 5:55 pm

xxx wrote:There was a Clanton 14st flick floating around the internet. It had the Original CLanton Street in the background....

im told the Original Clanton Street was off Central Ave & 14th Street, in that area..

here it goes....

Clanton 14 was created in 1921 on Clanton Street in Los Angeles, California. During World War II Los Angeles renamed Clanton Street to 14th Street, which is why they are called Clanton 14. In 1942, member Frank Torres was shot by a member of the First Street Gang at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum during a city high school track meet. This caused city officials to realize there had been a Pachuco gang problem in the city, whilst the Sleepy Lagoon incident with the 38th Street gang had national news media coverage on the Los Angeles gang problem leading to the 1943 Zoot Suit Riots. Clanton 14's recruiting policy has remained strict over the decades. Generally, they only allow people of Hispanic descent to join their ranks. Refusal to allow some to join lead to the creation of the infamous 18th Street gang. It was around 1964-65 the 18th Street gang was formed by an American Samoan who grew up in the Pico Union area of Los Angeles named Rocky Glover who was known for actively recruiting children, foreigners and others not allowed in Clanton 14. The 18th Street gang was the first Hispanic gang to recruit African-Americans as well. Today Clanton 14 and 18th Street are bitter rivals that has left a trail of bloodshed over the decades. The Los Angeles Police Department used to nickname the 18th Street gang Clanton Throw-aways.
Do you know what the cross street is on this pic? I dont think it is Central, looks like a smaller residential street.

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Unread post by femun » June 29th, 2012, 4:49 pm

alexalonso wrote:
xxx wrote:There was a Clanton 14st flick floating around the internet. It had the Original CLanton Street in the background....

im told the Original Clanton Street was off Central Ave & 14th Street, in that area..

here it goes....

Clanton 14 was created in 1921 on Clanton Street in Los Angeles, California. During World War II Los Angeles renamed Clanton Street to 14th Street, which is why they are called Clanton 14. In 1942, member Frank Torres was shot by a member of the First Street Gang at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum during a city high school track meet. This caused city officials to realize there had been a Pachuco gang problem in the city, whilst the Sleepy Lagoon incident with the 38th Street gang had national news media coverage on the Los Angeles gang problem leading to the 1943 Zoot Suit Riots. Clanton 14's recruiting policy has remained strict over the decades. Generally, they only allow people of Hispanic descent to join their ranks. Refusal to allow some to join lead to the creation of the infamous 18th Street gang. It was around 1964-65 the 18th Street gang was formed by an American Samoan who grew up in the Pico Union area of Los Angeles named Rocky Glover who was known for actively recruiting children, foreigners and others not allowed in Clanton 14. The 18th Street gang was the first Hispanic gang to recruit African-Americans as well. Today Clanton 14 and 18th Street are bitter rivals that has left a trail of bloodshed over the decades. The Los Angeles Police Department used to nickname the 18th Street gang Clanton Throw-aways.
Do you know what the cross street is on this pic? I dont think it is Central, looks like a smaller residential street.
It's more than likely Griffith Ave,Paloma St or Essex St. which are all between San Pedro and Central and intersect 14th Place. If you drive around that area you'll notice that the the few houses that are still there are of the same arcitecture as the ones in the pic.

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » June 30th, 2012, 2:37 pm

forgive me if this has been stated earlier on in the thread, but does anyone know when this photo dates from? it would also be interesting to know whether any of the people in the photo have descendants who are active clantoneros now...

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » July 1st, 2012, 8:49 pm

Even though there are no more houses in the community, you will occasionally find Clanton graffiti, but I wouldnt consider this area on the 1200 block of East 14th Place an active turf anymore.
Attachments
clanton-14th-place-op-logo.jpg
Clanton graffiti on 14th Place (1200 East block)
clanton-14th-place-op-logo.jpg (237.78 KiB) Viewed 14330 times

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » July 3rd, 2012, 4:55 pm

Black Fire Department on Central Ave in ES Clanton hood.
Attachments
Company 30.jpg
Company 30.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 14321 times

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » July 7th, 2012, 12:32 pm

I found a 1948 map where you can see Clanton street going San Pedro (W) to Central Ave (E), only about 4 blocks, passing through Griffith, Paloma and Essex. They eventually changed the name to 14th Place and you will notice there was already 14th Place off Hill Street.
Attachments
1948-la-map-clanton.jpg
1948 LA Map - Clanton Street
1948-la-map-clanton.jpg (263.93 KiB) Viewed 14312 times

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » July 8th, 2012, 3:17 am

femun wrote:
alexalonso wrote:

It's more than likely Griffith Ave,Paloma St or Essex St. which are all between San Pedro and Central and intersect 14th Place. If you drive around that area you'll notice that the the few houses that are still there are of the same arcitecture as the ones in the pic.
I figured out that this is the corner of 14th Place (Clanton) and Essex looking north. Guys are standing on northwest corner.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » January 29th, 2013, 9:10 am

first off, let me say this is a good fucken thread about one of L.A's oldest Chicano varrios ^^
xxx wrote:Image
2nd ~ that drawing right there (even tho it has Boogie's placaso on top) was done by my old Y.A. cellie Bully from east side Clanton 14th Street

take that to the bank!!

I recognize my ol cellies drawings anywhere... that old shit was/is his signature trade mark

seen him put dozens of drawings like that together

shout out to the camarada Bully de la Clantone!

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » February 5th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Who is Mr. Boogie if anyone knows.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » February 6th, 2013, 7:42 am

thats Bully's homeboy ... also from east side Clanton 14th St

he was on Brown Kingdome when it was up and running

firme vato

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » February 6th, 2013, 10:57 pm

why do they show satanas all the way in hollywood?

i was always under the impression they were in temple street hood in westlake back then. them being a click of temple in the beginning. TST/STS after all.

lol everyone always mistaken them for saNtanas.

poor sts. they got history (for an asian gang) and got some rep but all their enemies and the newspapers and cops call them santanas instead of their right name.

search satanas in latimes and daily news and nothing pops up.

search santanas and all their shootings and hood comes up. lol

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 4th, 2013, 12:46 pm

judastaugamma wrote:
why do they show satanas all the way in hollywood?

i was always under the impression they were in temple street hood in westlake back then. them being a click of temple in the beginning. TST/STS after all.

lol everyone always mistaken them for saNtanas.

poor sts. they got history (for an asian gang) and got some rep but all their enemies and the newspapers and cops call them santanas instead of their right name.

search satanas in latimes and daily news and nothing pops up.

search santanas and all their shootings and hood comes up. lol
I remember Satanas in Hollywood during the 1980s, they were pretty active and well known from 1984 - 1988 and I think in the 1990s they started to fade as did Clanton did in many of their neighborhoods.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » March 4th, 2013, 6:10 pm

oh satanas was in hollywood too but their main/original area was rampart.

satanas faded because they really weren't a suburb gang.

most filipino youths are in suburbs now.

i think their suburb cliques cerritos, oxnard, etc. made it past the 90's.

funny thing about filipino gangs, the hardcore ones died out.

the never did anything or soft new pinoy gangs lived on.

KollmarVago408
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KollmarVago408 » July 10th, 2013, 9:49 pm

You're all forgetting the varrio they have in san Jose ca . Ws clanton on willow st .

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » July 10th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Haven't heard much about west side clanton from SJ in years. Was hearing about east side clanton more, but not so much either any more. I'm sure they forgot some out of state hoods to, but then again maybe nobody cares?

KollmarVago408
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KollmarVago408 » July 31st, 2013, 4:18 pm

i wouldnt care for out of state but clanton in san jo is cali so u kno once they get locked up their soldiers for the eme inside the pen

tiarastlokos
What city do you live in now?: north hollywood

Unread post by tiarastlokos » May 3rd, 2015, 10:39 pm

There's also another hood in panorama city.. they're "so hated" clique. So I'm sure if this one ends up growing in numbers it will end up being they're 5th hood.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » May 5th, 2015, 1:53 am

what about their hood in the rollin 60's n hood were they was even bangin along them ??

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » June 3rd, 2015, 11:19 pm

@1 wrote:I found a 1948 map where you can see Clanton street going San Pedro (W) to Central Ave (E), only about 4 blocks, passing through Griffith, Paloma and Essex. They eventually changed the name to 14th Place and you will notice there was already 14th Place off Hill Street.
there's 14th street next to 14th place too.

so the 14th place is actually what use to be clanton street?

RudySerrano
What city do you live in now?: Carson

Unread post by RudySerrano » February 3rd, 2017, 12:12 am

My uncle is one of the four guys in the photo. The photo is from 1941. I have a photo of them after WWII started that was taken at the some spot with two of them in uniform. My uncle is 2nd from the right him and his buddy on his right are the ones in uniform. After the war he did not continue in the gang. In fact my mom (his sister) says he never was really in the gang, just hung out with them to get rides to the dances. I am pretty sure the photo was taken on 14th and Paloma. My grandparents lived on Pico near Central.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » February 6th, 2017, 2:28 pm

RudySerrano wrote:My uncle is one of the four guys in the photo. The photo is from 1941. I have a photo of them after WWII started that was taken at the some spot with two of them in uniform. My uncle is 2nd from the right him and his buddy on his right are the ones in uniform. After the war he did not continue in the gang. In fact my mom (his sister) says he never was really in the gang, just hung out with them to get rides to the dances. I am pretty sure the photo was taken on 14th and Paloma. My grandparents lived on Pico near Central.
Which one was your uncle and what was his name.

LakotaSioux
What city do you live in now?: LA

Unread post by LakotaSioux » February 7th, 2017, 9:31 pm

alexalonso wrote:
RudySerrano wrote:My uncle is one of the four guys in the photo. The photo is from 1941. I have a photo of them after WWII started that was taken at the some spot with two of them in uniform. My uncle is 2nd from the right him and his buddy on his right are the ones in uniform. After the war he did not continue in the gang. In fact my mom (his sister) says he never was really in the gang, just hung out with them to get rides to the dances. I am pretty sure the photo was taken on 14th and Paloma. My grandparents lived on Pico near Central.
Yo you cant read? He said his uncle is the 2nd from the right

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » February 9th, 2017, 7:12 pm

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » February 9th, 2017, 7:16 pm

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » February 12th, 2017, 5:11 pm

LakotaSioux wrote:
alexalonso wrote:
Yo you cant read? He said his uncle is the 2nd from the right
need the name.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » February 15th, 2017, 4:34 am

tiny gordy aka et gordito from clantone

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » January 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm

alexalonso wrote:
alexalonso wrote:This is the order of the Clantons as I see it

I think I figured it out. The 1st hood is actually the second hood, but the 1st Westside hood, and there is NO fifth hood. The North Hollywood hood is the 4th Hood and the last hood.

- Eastside Hood
- 1st Hood: Westside Pico Union area
- 2nd Hood: Pico Western
- 3rd Hood: Hollywood
- 4th Hood: North Hollywood
I was confused on the "First Hood" myself and then read some based on testimony from some OG Clanton members (1960's & 1970's).

The Clanton hood that used to be in Pico-Union and the Clanton hood currently on the East Side once all connected and were all part of the First Hood.

The borders, according to what they said went: Hoover (west), Olympic (north), King (south), L.A. River (east). It was a large hood that eventually got broken up as other gangs rose in the area, especially 18th Street. Clanton Street also ran through this area of course which is now 14th Place. The only remnant of the First Hood is between Main (west), 30th St (north), 35th St (south), San Pedro (east).

Is Second Hood basically defunct almost? I hear there are some diehard veterans who still do hitups along Pico between Wilton & Western.

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”