Santa Monica 13

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
MesqFlaco
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Dallas County

Unread post by MesqFlaco » January 4th, 2008, 8:22 am

First off I'm just glad to get some more opinions on this matter... I think we all have truths to what we think about or what we've seen in SM.

I personally met, hung out with and slept in the same apartment with some SM 17's. Like I said in other threads I got relatives in SM and they are from the SM 17st Pequenos. Maybe others go by 17 st lil locos or something else but the ones I met had "PEQUENOS" specifically tattooed on them.

At that time (1999 or 98 I think) they were having some light weight beefs with the "bigger homies" from SM 13. NOT WARS, NOBODY GETTING SHOT and nobody saying SM is 2 totally diff gangs - just more like personal beef that probably started over a girl or some dumb shit. This is where I originally based the 2 gang theory from.

Now, let me broadcast as loud as I can: I DON'T KNOW, it's just my theory/opinion.

Now SM is not a small city But like I and others have said the area in SM with gang activity is so small, WHY WOULD THERE BE 2 CLICKS? If anything, it's so small that they should all claim the same thing as there is not enough property or reason for generating 2 clicks of one gang. But they don't.

One side affiliates with Pico hood, the other 17th st. and both can be found all over SM and neighboring cities - not only in the specific area they claim - like any other gang.

B_One
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by B_One » January 6th, 2008, 1:09 pm

MesqFlaco wrote: I personally met, hung out with and slept in the same apartment with some SM 17's. Like I said in other threads I got relatives in SM and they are from the SM 17st Pequenos. Maybe others go by 17 st lil locos or something else but the ones I met had "PEQUENOS" specifically tattooed on them.
SM 17st = SM PWLS, Santa Monica Pee Wee Locos, Pequenos

SM13 = Santa Monica Lil Locos

"One side affiliates with Pico hood, the other 17th st. and both can be found all over SM and neighboring cities - not only in the specific area they claim - like any other gang."

I agree with most of what you said except that one clique claims 17th st and one claims Pico hood. 17th Street is in the Pico Neighborhood. That is not the distinction between the 2 cliques.

REEBOK

Re: Santa Monica 13

Unread post by REEBOK » September 9th, 2009, 9:21 pm

whos the deepest out all 4 sm cc v13 sotel ?

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » September 13th, 2009, 9:10 pm

i was wrong about this situation.

I hollar at a Santa Monica from SM13, he said there are many independent gangs that have come and gone in SM.

SM17 are the Originals, and SM13 are youngsters that came along later and didnt want to take orders from the Vets from SM17.........

So Santa Monica is similar to Paciaoma & Maravilla, even Aliso / Pico Projects, multiple gangs in one Neighborhood.

Pico Neighborhood is Small, thats crazy that there is more then one gang in the area, and not clicks off of one big SM Gang.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » September 15th, 2009, 10:06 am

Anybody heard of that rapper Buyo from SM? I guess it's good SM got some shine in the rap game (well besides Proper Dos who were from there as well) since WLA is not very widely represented, along with that fool Ces from CxC getting some shine, but god damn, that fool is a terrible rapper though.

advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by advocate » February 12th, 2010, 2:28 am

[quote="REEBOK"]whos the deepest out all 4 sm cc v13 sotel ?[/quote]

I've always heard Culver City was the deepest and all 4 dont really get along...the only ones i wasnt sure about were Venice & Sotel. I have family from Venice and they never really mentioned Sotel...I would just always hear about their beefs w/ CXC & SM.

H572DSTA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by H572DSTA » February 12th, 2010, 9:54 am

Cold Bear wrote:Anybody heard of that rapper Buyo from SM? I guess it's good SM got some shine in the rap game (well besides Proper Dos who were from there as well) since WLA is not very widely represented, along with that fool Ces from CxC getting some shine, but god damn, that fool is a terrible rapper though.
you mean that guy with santa monica 13 tatted above his eyebrows???

he did a song with Joka boy from tunas

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 12th, 2010, 5:01 pm

I think thats ernie G from Proper Dos, yeah I seen that tuna rapper all flamed up but he a PK, CK, NK super sureno lol. but other then that that was a cool track... harpies (conejo), TF (jokaboy), SM 13 (ernie G) on the beat.

shing
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re:

Unread post by shing » November 7th, 2010, 1:20 pm

xxx wrote:Thats what i thought.

I bumped into one Santa Monica years ago.

He shaved his eye brows.

Santa on one side Monica on the other.

------------------------
that sounds like Spanky from SM17

shing
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re:

Unread post by shing » November 7th, 2010, 1:33 pm

B_One wrote:Graveyard is not inactive. They are small, but they are still beefin with SMG on a regular basis.

SMG is 1 gang. 17th street Pee Wee Locos is a click. Whoever said there are 2 gangs, 1 that affiliates with Pico Neighborhood and one that affiliates with 17th Street, is WRONG. 17th Street is part of the Pico Neigbhorhood. SMG and GYC are both active in the Pico Neighborhood. The Pico Neighborhood extends from 11th Street to Stewart, from the 10 Freeway to Pico.

There is only 1 Latino gang in Santa Monica. SMG is one of the original 4 WS varrios.
In the early 90s there was an upstart gang called the House Rockers Crew in Santa Monica. Some of their OGs were black but the rest were hispanic they even had one white boy. Their color was grey and used to beef with SM13, SM17 and Sotel. They died out really quick. Kind of hard to move into someone's hood that's been around for 40+ years.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » November 17th, 2010, 3:24 pm

/\/\/\/\/\

I remember HRC. It could mean High Rollin' Crips or Hard Rockin' Crew. They also fought WS Crazys.

shing
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by shing » November 19th, 2010, 2:09 am

Silencioso wrote:/\/\/\/\/\

I remember HRC. It could mean High Rollin' Crips or Hard Rockin' Crew. They also fought WS Crazys.
House Rockers Crew

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California

Unread post by TheAngels » February 3rd, 2013, 7:14 am

xxx wrote:i was wrong about this situation.

I hollar at a Santa Monica from SM13, he said there are many independent gangs that have come and gone in SM.

SM17 are the Originals, and SM13 are youngsters that came along later and didnt want to take orders from the Vets from SM17.........

So Santa Monica is similar to Paciaoma & Maravilla, even Aliso / Pico Projects, multiple gangs in one Neighborhood.

Pico Neighborhood is Small, thats crazy that there is more then one gang in the area, and not clicks off of one big SM Gang.
Interesting. At first I thought SM17st was a click of SM13, then later I thought of them as being two separate gangs. Turns out based on your convo with a SM13 member that the two are separate but get along and share the same hood. Almost like SM13 just branched off from SM17 to be more independent...

I still don't understand how a gang can still survive there with the gentrification going on, or how that's a "hood". I've been through that Pico neighborhood and it doesn't compare to the hoods in South Central or the hoods around MacArthur Park.

Thing I don't understand is how Graveyard Gangsta Crip can survive as a gang while not getting along with SM13 yet share the same small Pico neighborhood. I never see any Graveyard hitups on the walls, and never saw them around. They were already small, and then after they beat this White guy to death a couple years ago (according to the news), SMPD hit Graveyard with "Operation Tombstone" and arrested a bunch of members. Pretty much an injunction. I heard that only like 4 active Graveyard Gangsta Crips are around today, but that's just words on the streets.

Wonder why they ain't defunct again.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » February 3rd, 2013, 8:59 pm

I thought that SM 17th Street was a click of Varrio Santa Monica 13. Are they truly separate????

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » November 20th, 2013, 3:55 pm

I saw a list recently that showed the gang population by city throughout L.A. County. It showed Santa Monica as having 250 gang members. By comparison, Torrance, a larger city, has 100 gang members and Redondo has 80. So, Santa Monica has a uniquely large gang population for a generally affluent and white/Asian majority city. The gang population in SM is comparable to much tougher and poorer cities like Hawthorne or Artesia. I think the resilience of the Pico Neighborhood is probably the reason. Gentrification has never really altered the demographics of that area.

elOriginalMartinez
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: East Los

Unread post by elOriginalMartinez » November 20th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Silencioso wrote:I saw a list recently that showed the gang population by city throughout L.A. County. It showed Santa Monica as having 250 gang members. By comparison, Torrance, a larger city, has 100 gang members and Redondo has 80. So, Santa Monica has a uniquely large gang population for a generally affluent and white/Asian majority city. The gang population in SM is comparable to much tougher and poorer cities like Hawthorne or Artesia. I think the resilience of the Pico Neighborhood is probably the reason. Gentrification has never really altered the demographics of that area.
Silent

do u have the link to that?

and was it for current gang membership or some old info?

AztecNinja
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: San Gabriel

Unread post by AztecNinja » November 21st, 2013, 8:08 am

I work in SM. I went to Tacos Por Favor the other day on my lunch break and had to park by the Cemetary. While walking I saw a bunch of candles and rosaries in a alley basically a memorial to what I assume was a murder being that it was in some deadend alley.

advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by advocate » November 21st, 2013, 6:36 pm

Aztec-was the vigil in a dead end alley off of Michigan Ave?

advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by advocate » November 21st, 2013, 6:37 pm

And tacos por favor is pretty decent....there arent alot of good mexican food spots on that side of town.

AztecNinja
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AztecNinja » November 21st, 2013, 8:07 pm

Yes it was a small dead end alley like 50 ft at the most, and it was on MIchigan. And yeah Tacos Por Favor is decent by SM standards. I always eat at big joes on broadway and 20th, Bay cities deli is bomb, Pono burger is the best burger I ever ate! But $11 for just a burger is steep.

advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by advocate » November 22nd, 2013, 1:13 am

Yeah Big Joes is good...ive eaten there a few times. If you ever close enough to head a little south to Venice, theres a little stand called La Playita on Lincoln Blvd just north of Rose Ave & the Whole Foods parking lot. The ceviche there is pretty legit.

I wonder if thats the vigil from the guy who got killed in the alley earlier this year. It happened like a few days after the big SMC shooting. Three dudes from Sotel got busted for that alley murder....i think it was like at 8 in the morning. It was right there in an alley on Michigan near 16th St. I seen that vigil when it first happened....didnt think it would still be up though.

AztecNinja
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AztecNinja » November 22nd, 2013, 7:23 am

Sotel still around? I thought it would have been Venice or something.

advocate
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by advocate » November 22nd, 2013, 6:23 pm

Yeah Sotel still around...I go to a church in their neighborhood & used to work around there too. They hit up a good amount on the walls all around. When I first heard about that shooting I thought Venice too because they'd been going at it for the past couple years but it was Sotel. Heres a link to an article about it:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/12 ... g-20130612

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » November 26th, 2013, 3:35 pm

elOriginalMartinez wrote:
Silencioso wrote:I saw a list recently that showed the gang population by city throughout L.A. County. It showed Santa Monica as having 250 gang members. By comparison, Torrance, a larger city, has 100 gang members and Redondo has 80. So, Santa Monica has a uniquely large gang population for a generally affluent and white/Asian majority city. The gang population in SM is comparable to much tougher and poorer cities like Hawthorne or Artesia. I think the resilience of the Pico Neighborhood is probably the reason. Gentrification has never really altered the demographics of that area.
Silent

do u have the link to that?

and was it for current gang membership or some old info?
It was posted on thehoodup. I'll try to find it. It was current.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » November 28th, 2013, 12:31 am

I find it hard to believe Santa Monica has 250 gang members... are these active members living in Santa Monica and banging?

I mean the Pico hood is small and gentrification has been spreading across the west side. I drive through the Pico neighborhood sometimes and it doesn't even look or feel like a hood. Looks like a quiet & clean area. At least not compares to places I've been to in South Central.

And to my knowledge there's only 3 gangs in SM -- SM 17st, SM 13, and GraveYard Gangsta Crip... And GYGC to my knowledge is only a few members left because the cops came down strong on them after some dude got killed. They weren't big to begin with but it sounds like they're less than 10 deep when it comes to active members in Santa Monica.

Sotel I hear is only about 25-30 deep today on the Westside. Compare that with the 80s and early 90s when they were like 200 deep.

I don't know anything about how deep SM 13 or SM17st is... anyone have any ideas?

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » November 28th, 2013, 12:50 am

^Gang member number estimates are almost always inflated. They count inactive, semi active and "affiliates" or people that happen to be labeled a gang member because they hung out at a certain place or with certain people.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » November 28th, 2013, 3:59 am

RuthlessCray wrote:^Gang member number estimates are almost always inflated. They count inactive, semi active and "affiliates" or people that happen to be labeled a gang member because they hung out at a certain place or with certain people.

i guess it depends on how you look at the numbers affiliated with the barrio (varrio)

gang members on the books are the ones "documented" because they got busted doing something

but the actual people from the varrio can be a long ass lista

that's why it never ends

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » November 28th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Are they all really those that got busted doing something though? I remember seeing people get stopped just for looking a certain way and be put down as a gang member.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » November 28th, 2013, 2:23 pm

250 gang members in a city of 90,000 isn't that much. My point was SM had more gang members than other middle-class cities with a gang presence, like Torrance, Redondo, Huntington Beach etc.

You should also remember that SM actually has two gang areas. The Pico Neighborhood, which is home to SM's "home" gangs like SM17 and GYGC, and South Santa Monica which has spillover from Venice 13 and VSLC.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » November 28th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Silencioso wrote:250 gang members in a city of 90,000 isn't that much. My point was SM had more gang members than other middle-class cities with a gang presence, like Torrance, Redondo, Huntington Beach etc.

You should also remember that SM actually has two gang areas. The Pico Neighborhood, which is home to SM's "home" gangs like SM17 and GYGC, and South Santa Monica which has spillover from Venice 13 and VSLC.
I don't think there are 250 currently active gang members in Santa Monica.....if u r talking about gang members documented over time then perhaps 250. grave yard has about 20 to 30 members and so does SM13, and the spillover from V13 and Venice Shoreline is minimal

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » November 29th, 2013, 2:17 am

Silencioso wrote:250 gang members in a city of 90,000 isn't that much. My point was SM had more gang members than other middle-class cities with a gang presence, like Torrance, Redondo, Huntington Beach etc.

Yeah that spillover in the south makes sense... I'm guessing that area you're referring to is on both sides of Lincoln near Penmar golf course near that Whole Foods.

I was told VSLC doesn't even stay in Oakwood anymore for the most part. Even Oakwood is getting gentrified. Amazing because back in the early 90s that was one of the most violent areas of LA... the West Side was surpassing South Central in homicide rates at one time. This year there hasn't been one murder in Oakwood. Times change.

I don't know the status of V13 but I hear a lot of them moved to Antelope Valley.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » November 29th, 2013, 2:23 am

@1 wrote:

I don't think there are 250 currently active gang members in Santa Monica.....if u r talking about gang members documented over time then perhaps 250. grave yard has about 20 to 30 members and so does SM13, and the spillover from V13 and Venice Shoreline is minimal
Yeah if you talk about every SM13, SM17st, or GYGC member alive right now who are inactive or in prison, I'm sure there are hundreds. But the ones still in Santa Monica banging I think is less than 100.

There was only one gang murder in Santa Monica in all of 2013, and it was that spot in the Pico hood that AztecNinja mentioned walking by. They just don't have the numbers that they used to. I can't believe Sotel was behind it though; I thought that beef was squashed or at least died down.

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”