Heavy Metal influence - 1980s

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Heavy Metal influence - 1980s

Unread post by alexalonso » December 26th, 2009, 4:23 pm

During the 1980s, I used to know some Mexicans from Mid City Stoners, that had a hood from 3rd Street to Wilshire, between Western & Wilton that were big into heavy metal music. When I would see the Harpys of Washington & 23rd, I noticed they were not big into it. They were listening to rap in the mid 1980s.

Today seem like Heavy Metal does not exist, but was wondering if the heavy metal influence was county wide during the 1980s. In 1981 - 1986 what were Hispanics listening too.

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Re: Heavy Metal influence - 1980s

Unread post by femun » January 24th, 2010, 9:17 pm

In the early 80's the main beef was cholo gangs vs. stoner gangs. Everything Martinez wrote about in his "the Lott x3" thread also happened in Pacoima. All the stoner gangs in Pacoima faded away or became cholo gangs.

There was:
Lev Street Rockers(gone)
Hard Rock Freaks(gone)
Back Street Kids(gone)
Pacoima Brown Stoners(Now Pacoima BrownStone Locos)

I'm sure there's more I'm unaware of. San Fernando had a few too I'm just not sure which.

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » January 24th, 2010, 10:48 pm

femun wrote:In the early 80's the main beef was cholo gangs vs. stoner gangs. Everything Martinez wrote about in his "the Lott x3" thread also happened in Pacoima. All the stoner gangs in Pacoima faded away or became cholo gangs.

There was:
Lev Street Rockers(gone)
Hard Rock Freaks(gone)
Back Street Kids(gone)

I'm sure there's more I'm unaware of. San Fernando had a few too I'm just not sure which.

Damn, so what were the first STONER gang and what was the first cholo gangs that beefd with the STONERS!

I think MS Stoners and 18st would be the first?

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Unread post by femun » January 25th, 2010, 9:17 pm

I'm only speaking on Pacoima, but as far as I know MS didn't start till about the mid 80's. By this time The stoner gangs in Pacoima were already fading away.

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » January 25th, 2010, 9:32 pm

femun wrote:I'm only speaking on Pacoima, but as far as I know MS didn't start till about the mid 80's. By this time The stoner gangs in Pacoima were already fading away.

Oh my BAD G, Thats where you from or originate?

Also, I was referring too Stoners vs Gang!

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 2nd, 2012, 7:28 pm

The Mexicans I grew up with was listening to Metalica, Ozzy Osborne, Sid Viscuious, Van Halen and a few other ones, where heavy metal t-shorts with torn sleeves.

jeff
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jeff » March 11th, 2012, 2:50 am

it's still easy to see MS-13's heavy metal roots, if you look at their hand sign, they throw up the devil horns which is the universal sign of heavy metal adherents. this subculture has resurfaced in australia of all places, where there are feuding aboriginal gangs named after heavy metal groups.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 3rd, 2012, 2:26 am

jeff wrote:it's still easy to see MS-13's heavy metal roots, if you look at their hand sign, they throw up the devil horns which is the universal sign of heavy metal adherents. this subculture has resurfaced in australia of all places, where there are feuding aboriginal gangs named after heavy metal groups.
I heard from a researcher that MS Stoners were active in 1979, and they may have been into the Heavy Metal music. I wonder if their hand sign is related to that. That's is very interesting.

istekse818
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: san fernando

Unread post by istekse818 » August 30th, 2013, 11:09 am

femun wrote:In the early 80's the main beef was cholo gangs vs. stoner gangs. Everything Martinez wrote about in his "the Lott x3" thread also happened in Pacoima. All the stoner gangs in Pacoima faded away or became cholo gangs.

There was:
Lev Street Rockers(gone)
Hard Rock Freaks(gone)
Back Street Kids(gone)

Hard rock freaks reminds me of hardcore freaks from san fer

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » October 6th, 2013, 11:59 pm

Where us heavy metal? I found this interesting quote.
Heavy metal obviously isn't the most popular genre of music. But from the early to late 90's, metal really faded by the wayside. It wasn't as cool anymore. Bands who played glam & pop metal like Poison & Def Leppard declined, Thrash bands like Metallica & Megadeth changed their styles, British new wave & power metal bands like Dio, The Scorpions & Iron Maiden stayed in Europe. The only bands that got big out of that era were Pantera & Korn.

Eventually the metal scene rebounded by the new millennium, but as I look around and listen in 2013, I'm noticing less and less heavy metal around. And it's not like this new subgenre of music suddenly appeared either. MTV stopped hosting the Headbangers Ball program, the grammys are no longer airing the award for best metal performance, the rock 'n roll hall of fame tends to ignore inducting heavy metal acts in general.

Think heavy metal is even less popular today then it was back during the early 90's grunge days?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 7th, 2013, 4:18 pm

here's my two bits on this

up in north east one of the most renown stoner cliques that you can find in any varrio roll call today were the chevy chase locos. chevy chase later went on to become part of toonerville., and down in san pedro the sps were the ones whose later locos became referred to as the san pedro stoners 13, and then later on there came up the leland park stoners., leland park stoners were part leland park locos and boys together with rancho san pedro people who hung out at the park together with leland park people, and since they weren't all entirely all cholo style but stoner locos, they became known as the leland park stoners., i think that in those later 1970s and early ochentas, being a stoner per say was the norm., you didn't have to start out as a young schooled vato in the varrio ways., there were just too many sounds coming out in the airwaves, and stone rock music was heavy back then., if you fired up, dropped acid or smoked dust, that was it, you were a stoner out there in the parks and parties, the other side of the coin was the outgoing cholo style which a lot a people back then had a distaste of, same like in every generation, people not entirely all there with the cholo/gangster style., later crowds would get into the rave of the party crews and hip hop world, some would get into the rock-a-billy style and some even come from the biker world., back then was the same thing, anyone listening to rock-steady or acid rock you could label as a stoner, and so when it came to all those young neighborhod locos on the streets, eventually a lot of them would latr get jumped into this or that varrio., of course, you always had some loco a.k.a. stoner crowds with the numbers and they were able to maintain themselves alive strong., but i think we all understand the reality of how things were and how most neighborhood locos a.k.a. stoners would start out hanging out being a crowd partying and getting stoned, and then later on moving up and getting jumped in with someone

istekse818
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by istekse818 » October 8th, 2013, 6:31 pm

@1 wrote:Where us heavy metal? I found this interesting quote.
Heavy metal obviously isn't the most popular genre of music. But from the early to late 90's, metal really faded by the wayside. It wasn't as cool anymore. Bands who played glam & pop metal like Poison & Def Leppard declined, Thrash bands like Metallica & Megadeth changed their styles, British new wave & power metal bands like Dio, The Scorpions & Iron Maiden stayed in Europe. The only bands that got big out of that era were Pantera & Korn.

Eventually the metal scene rebounded by the new millennium, but as I look around and listen in 2013, I'm noticing less and less heavy metal around. And it's not like this new subgenre of music suddenly appeared either. MTV stopped hosting the Headbangers Ball program, the grammys are no longer airing the award for best metal performance, the rock 'n roll hall of fame tends to ignore inducting heavy metal acts in general.

Think heavy metal is even less popular today then it was back during the early 90's grunge days?

Ur right grundge killed heavy metal but heavy metal has evolved into death black metal and its very popular in euroupe

andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by andrew » February 10th, 2014, 9:24 pm

my cousin live near downtown LA.....when i visited i met the Mota Locos......buncha homies, 80s style cholos with flannels and winos and LONG HAIR listening to thrash metal.......of course i knew some sui's that came to denver sometimes, as well as LADS who seemed to be all vatoed out.....not the leather jacket variety i seen pics of.....thumper was from hollywood but the rest all claimed torrance SS LADS...............i also met some cat in 85 named jammer from ES Longos who was another thrasher and a half......he said something about long beach suis being their friends until something happened and they were bitter enemies afterwards

i hadnt seen any long haired cholo types since the 80s come to think of it....and im not talking ponytail types.....im talking metalhead bushy long ass hair ready to go jam some slayer types in dickies and pendletons

SHYSTER
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SHYSTER » February 10th, 2014, 9:38 pm

There was:
Lev Street Rockers(gone)
Hard Rock Freaks(gone)
Back Street Kids(gone)

I also remember the Shakin Cats out in San Fernando. They were rockabilly's then turned into a gang...Shakin Cats Midgets...

istekse818
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by istekse818 » March 8th, 2014, 5:14 pm

seems like ska and punk has taken over the backyard scene in the 818

valleroguy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Canoga Park

Unread post by valleroguy » May 6th, 2015, 1:03 pm

There was:
Lev Street Rockers(gone)
Hard Rock Freaks(gone)
Back Street Kids(gone)

There is still a gang in Pacoima called Lev Street, don't know if it's the same dudes and they just dropped the 'rockers' but that is still a neighborhood.

valleroguy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Canoga Park

Unread post by valleroguy » May 6th, 2015, 1:12 pm

There always gonna be a few dudes from the younger generation that prefer to adopt the current 'fads' & 'fashion' rather than the traditional cholo attire. You can witness that phenomenon to this day, with a lot of the younger gang members wearing skinny jeans & rocking the stretched ears, & other piercings.

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”