Barrio Viejo & Barrio Pobre

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Barrio Viejo & Barrio Pobre

Unread post by MARTINEZ » May 22nd, 2013, 11:42 am

in Chicano circles

the placaso is the name that rings in gang circles... not the last name .

The last name is known only in family circles, next door neighbors and tight homeboys ... outsiders would not be keen to last names.

thats why i asked you for his hood name?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » May 22nd, 2013, 9:39 pm

[quote="MARTINEZ"]in Chicano circles

the placaso is the name that rings in gang circles... not the last name .

The last name is known only in family circles, next door neighbors and tight homeboys ... outsiders would not be keen to last names.

thats why i asked you for his hood name?[/quote] tru but its something i read online i DID SEND THE TEXT 2 a vatos from cvtf that is legit thats the name of that vato you want ? why dont you ask around people you know from cvtf unless you lost contact
factS i put on here ARE ENUF TO WEITHER DEBUNK OR CONFIRM HERE'S THE FACTS 1ST YEAR OF THE START IS 1962
2 ND THE OG SPOT IS ORIS STREET TORTILLERIA IN FRONT OF THE CHRUCH ON THE EAST LARGO SIDE OF THE TRACC
3RD THE OG FAMILY WHO STARTED ALL THAT IS THE MENDOZA BROTHERS
4TH THERE WAS ONLY CV3 AND LA 5 AND WILLOWBROOK WINOS IN THE HUB CITY CHICANO GANG SCENE AT THAT TIME NO
NOW ANY VATOS FROM THERE CAN TELL U WEITHER IS LEGIT OR NOT DO I NEED TO SAY THATS BIG WIZARD ONE TO RING BELLS ? NO I DONT THINK SO YOU HAVE ENUF MATERIAL TO DBUNK OR CONFIRM

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » May 24th, 2013, 9:48 am

si’mon - since you offered, shoot the names of the vatos you texted?

all the vatos from CVTF that I know personally is cus I did time with them in Y.A. and the county jail, except one I met out here and partied with, but he’s busted too now

Ok – lets tackle this shit

 I’m cool with 1962 being the start date for Compton Tortilla Flats

 I’m cool with Oris Street being their 1st block

 I’m cool with 1962 there being only La Tres (CV3) and La Quinta aka The Fifth now CV-155, Willowbrook Winos? never heard of before, and then Tortilla Flats

now the rest,

I’m not going to blindly co-sign just cus some random Facebook vato that nobody knows is all of sudden saying the complete opposite of what all his homeboys have been saying for decades

 None of us really know for an absolute fact the Mendoza brothers are the originators. Why is this just now being brought to light? No TF ever mentioned them to me before …ever.

 Why for the last 50 + years have all the CVTF vatos all claim they are descendants off the Original East Los x Tortilla Flats??? Why lie?

is it possible that Compton TF has no connections to East Side TF? possible yes .. .probable – NO

here’s why?

 If they had no connection – that means in 1962 these Mendoza guys looked up to East Los so much, that he started a COPY CAT gang …

 cus I’m sure they knew there was an old varrio named Tortilla Flats in East Los

Is that the legacy he wants to bring to life now… they are a copycat gang with no real ties to the east side???

That they bit the name because they admired them so much??

You feel me?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » May 24th, 2013, 10:33 pm

ok con respecto i feel you ...now i found the shit back here it goes te lo regalo
shit the article is even bigger than what i saw in a forum i found it back here 4 street gang.com exclusiv story about el comptone varrio tortilla flat trece :January 25, 2008  |  by Richard Valdemar - Also by this author

If poverty is the mother of crimes, want of sense is the father. – La Bruyere
I was there when this monster was spawned. The Tortilla Flats Gang was born in Compton, Calif., about 1962. The Mendoza Mexican Tortilleria was on the east side of Willowbrook just off of Oris Street. After church on Sundays the Mendoza brothers (all of them very large and tall) and several of their friends, including my friend and schoolmate Ronnie Gutierrez, hung out outside the store and maybe drank a little beer.
Sometimes they would get out their slingshots (like David used in the Bible, and not the ones made with rubber bands) and launch rocks from the Willowbrook railroad tracks or cherry bombs at the passing freight trains. They could sometimes be a little intimidating, but Joe, the younger Mendoza brother, was also a friend and schoolmate of mine.
The city of Compton already had several African American and Hispanic gangs active in the area. The Compton Farmers, the Swamp Boys, the Slauson Village, and the Businessmen passed occasionally through the small primarily Mexican American Willowbrook neighborhood. The Compton Varrio Tres, Florence 13, Willowbrook Winos, and 155th Street gang were at war most of the time in this tiny corner of Compton. Gang members were killed, drugs were sold, and citizens were robbed or beaten every day, but it never made the paper.
Tortilla Flats
One of the older Mendoza brothers had been reading a book for school by John Steinbeck called "Tortilla Flats." Early one Sunday morning while I was walking to church to serve Mass, I saw along the white wall north of the Mendoza Tortilleria in large black Old English letters the words "TORTILLA FLATS." The group now had a name, but it would earn its reputation later on.
After junior high school, Ronnie Gutierrez, like most of the T-Flats, dropped out of school to be a kind of leader of the gang. The gang continued to grow in numbers and violent reputation in my absence. I was gone into the service and for Vietnam (1966-1969), but in 1970 I joined the Sheriff's Department and returned to Willowbrook as a patrol officer in 1976.
Nobody in that gang today ever read Steinbeck. Like the other surrounding Hispanic gangs they have devolved into violent psychopathic thugs with drug fried brains and no honor or ethics, they victimize their own race, neighborhood, and even their own homeboys.
Chuckie
Chuckie was nine when he ran away from his home in South Gate to hang out with the Compton Tortilla Flats gang. He had been sexually molested by a neighbor after his father abandoned his mother. The T-Flats became his new family. For brothers he chose Midget and Woody, two Veteran members only a few years older than Chuckie. Both had been shot and seriously wounded by rival gangs before Chuckie got there in 1993. For a mentor and father figure he chose Rafael "Crook" Gamboa.
Over the years Chuckie became proficient in fighting, burglary, firearms, and grand theft auto. First his homeboy and adopted brother Woody and then later Midget spent time in the California Youth Authority (CYA) prison systems. This is the gang's higher education system and the T-Flats members were schooled and became loyal Sureños under the leadership of the Mexican Mafia prison gang there. Chuckie too spent years in juvenile camps and CYA facilities hardening his Sureño heart. After being sentenced to life in prison, and being told by the sentencing judge that he should "never be allowed to set foot in free society again," Midget became a Mexican Mafia associate.
In September of 2003, I was called to the LA County Jail by friends of Chuckie, Midget, and Crook. I interviewed Gamboa and learned that in 2002 the Mexican Mafia had dispatched Tortilla Flats member Dennis "Lil' Boxer" Gonzales, who was on the run for an attempted murder in Alhambra, to basically take over Oklahoma City, Okla., for the Mexican Mafia. The Eme had done this before in Albuquerque, N.M., a few years before this.
Plata o Plomo
This is the method of operation. The LA gang members from a particular gang or a coalition of LA-based gangs united under the Sureño or SUR 13 name will move into your town. They will be well financed and seemingly have an endless supply of drugs (speed or cocaine). A group of them will approach the local drug dealers and "make them an offer they can't refuse" to either sell the gang's discounted dope or be killed.
This is the old Mexican choice: "Plata o Plomo" (silver or lead). Greed and fear sway most to the Sureños' side. The few that resist are soon murdered. They also approach the local gangs and initiate them under the Sureño reglas or rules. In Oklahoma City this was the South Side Trese gang. South Side is another way of saying SUR and Trese is the number 13. The number 13 represents the 13th letter of the alphabet, "M" for Mexican Mafia. The T-Flats also utilized local women tattooing them with "LA" on their ankles even though they were not from Los Angeles.
Crook's job was to secure large quantities of drugs and drive them from California to Oklahoma City. The last shipment was 10 pounds of high-grade methamphetamine called "glass" or "ice" and 100 pounds of marijuana. Crook recruited more T-Flats (CVTF) and Compton Varrio 70s (CV70) members for muscle. His adopted "son" Chuckie arrived looking to "put in work" for the Sureños. They approached the local gang members that had relatives and homeboys in the prison system and began recruiting for the Mexican Mafia. Lil' Boxer Gonzales also supplied the local Mongol outlaw motorcycle gang with their dope.
Lil' Boxer Gonzales provided the T-Flats gang members with a hit list of local dealers and gang members that would not pay or resisted in some way his control. Some were Hispanic and one was an African American. But one was different; the target was in LA, and he was an LAPD police officer.
I later learned that this "green light" to hit a cop was for LAPD Officer Adrian Chin who had been involved in a shooting incident in Los Angeles in February of 2000 in which Compton Tortilla Flats gang member Oscar "Ghost" Figueroa was shot and killed. I made the notifications and warned Officer Chin personally.
The Tide Turns
Things were going great. Except for the few holdouts, the Sureños ruled Oklahoma City's gang underworld. Little Chuckie volunteered to be part of a team to hit the home of a local gang member and drug dealer who owed Lil' Boxer drug money. Crook Gamboa claimed that he had tried to stop Chuckie from being involved in the incident but failed. Crook did not trust Lil' Boxer and he felt that something was wrong.
At 19 years old little Chuckie was killed in the house of the local drug dealer. The OK City drug dealer was dead also, but rumors began that Crook and Chuckie's crime partner Clumsy had betrayed and killed their own homeboy.
After Chuckie's funeral in Palmdale, Calif., Gamboa was arrested for parole violation. He was very remorseful, and under religious conviction. This was not a false sorrow of someone who was caught. I believe he truly felt guilty for introducing that 9-year-old runaway to the Compton Tortilla Flats gangster life, and later to his homeboys Woody, Midget, and Lil' Boxer. Gamboa felt terrible that people were saying that he killed Chuckie, and yet he really felt that he had helped to kill him in another way.
Midget's life was over, condemned to solitary confinement in the Security Housing Unit (SHU) forever; Chuckie's life was over, as he lay in an unmarked grave forever; and Gamboa's life was over also, unable to return to his home and gang for fear they would murder him.
Rafael "Crook" Gamboa agreed to cooperate with the U.S. Attorneys Office in Oklahoma City, and testify against the Mexican Mafia and the gang he loved so much. I traveled to Oklahoma City to assist in obtaining Gamboa's cooperation and to try to explain the significance of his information on this huge conspiracy case. I don't think they really got it.
In the August 28, 2006 press release the U.S. Attorney said; "Cooperating defendants, witnesses, and confidential informants all provided information that led to surveillance, arrests, search warrants, and the seizure of significant quantities of crystal methamphetamine and cocaine. Investigators were able to document the importation of additional quantities of crystal methamphetamine and cocaine into Oklahoma prior to the investigation. The organization was held accountable for a total of 42 lbs. of crystal methamphetamine, conservatively estimated to have a "street" value of over $3.8 Million and 5 ½ lbs. of cocaine, conservatively estimated to have a "street" value of over $515,000. IRS investigators documented Western Union wire transfers totaling over $244,000 in drug proceeds between Oklahoma City, California, and Florida."
Rafael Gamboa was promised consideration. But he was a stranger in a strange land, and he became distrustful of the Federal and local officials after they "mistakenly" placed him with the gang suspects that he testified against on more than one occasion. He was stabbed and beaten by the bad guys and given more than 20 years in prison by the "good guys."

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 24th, 2013, 11:00 pm

yes the name may also come from wannabeezm of the east los one but unless its BS its neverless interesting

snino1989
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: HxA

Unread post by snino1989 » May 25th, 2013, 9:59 am

Lonewolf can u post the whole long beach gang map or send me a copy please

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » May 26th, 2013, 3:33 pm

bgcasper wrote:yes the name may also come from wannabeezm of the east los one but unless its BS its neverless interesting

that was a good read., ey gracias
imo, tortilla flats was a common name for mexican barrios, that's why you have tortilla flats in several different areas, like east los, compton, torrance and encinitas, not to mention the tortilla flats from tejas., it is one of those names that can spring up individually in different places under similiar circumstances, kinda like the same thing that happens with barrios that sprung up next to water hole areas, canta ranas is another name that exists in history books of barrios that have no connection to one another, and you can even push it a little by including places like la rana in torrance, sapo in banning and frog town in north east los. the tortilla flats in encinitas share a similiar story like the one you posted, and they have no allegiance, nor connections to the ones in los.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 26th, 2013, 9:42 pm

[quote="Lonewolf"][quote="bgcasper"]yes the name may also come from wannabeezm of the east los one but unless its BS its neverless interesting[/quote]

that was a good read., ey gracias
imo, tortilla flats was a common name for mexican barrios, that's why you have tortilla flats in several different areas, like east los, compton, torrance and encinitas, not to mention the tortilla flats from tejas., it is one of those names that can spring up individually in different places under similiar circumstances, kinda like the same thing that happens with barrios that sprung up next to water hole areas, canta ranas is another name that exists in history books of barrios that have no connection to one another, and you can even push it a little by including places like la rana in torrance, sapo in banning and frog town in north east los. the tortilla flats in encinitas share a similiar story like the one you posted, and they have no allegiance, nor connections to the ones in los.[/quote]
DE NADA !!!its always good to read your old school varrios post ...and my interrest in old school gang culture is the reason why im here so lets share !!! also testimony from og flateros weither contredicting or confirming is also interresting i personnally shared it with somebody mentioned in that text i found him back and he is who he say he is and im waiting on his reply but i will keep him out of this board for obvious resason he is still curently servin time imagine his name ringin over gang story aint good for his next hearing

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » May 28th, 2013, 12:34 pm

bgcasper wrote:ok con respecto i feel you ...now i found the shit back here it goes te lo regalo
shit the article is even bigger than what i saw in a forum i found it back here 4 street gang.com exclusiv story about el comptone varrio tortilla flat trece :January 25, 2008  |  by Richard Valdemar - Also by this author

If poverty is the mother of crimes, want of sense is the father. – La Bruyere
I was there when this monster was spawned. The Tortilla Flats Gang was born in Compton, Calif., about 1962. The Mendoza Mexican Tortilleria was on the east side of Willowbrook just off of Oris Street. After church on Sundays the Mendoza brothers (all of them very large and tall) and several of their friends, including my friend and schoolmate Ronnie Gutierrez, hung out outside the store and maybe drank a little beer.
Sometimes they would get out their slingshots (like David used in the Bible, and not the ones made with rubber bands) and launch rocks from the Willowbrook railroad tracks or cherry bombs at the passing freight trains. They could sometimes be a little intimidating, but Joe, the younger Mendoza brother, was also a friend and schoolmate of mine.
The city of Compton already had several African American and Hispanic gangs active in the area. The Compton Farmers, the Swamp Boys, the Slauson Village, and the Businessmen passed occasionally through the small primarily Mexican American Willowbrook neighborhood. The Compton Varrio Tres, Florence 13, Willowbrook Winos, and 155th Street gang were at war most of the time in this tiny corner of Compton. Gang members were killed, drugs were sold, and citizens were robbed or beaten every day, but it never made the paper.
Tortilla Flats
One of the older Mendoza brothers had been reading a book for school by John Steinbeck called "Tortilla Flats." Early one Sunday morning while I was walking to church to serve Mass, I saw along the white wall north of the Mendoza Tortilleria in large black Old English letters the words "TORTILLA FLATS." The group now had a name, but it would earn its reputation later on.
After junior high school, Ronnie Gutierrez, like most of the T-Flats, dropped out of school to be a kind of leader of the gang. The gang continued to grow in numbers and violent reputation in my absence. I was gone into the service and for Vietnam (1966-1969), but in 1970 I joined the Sheriff's Department and returned to Willowbrook as a patrol officer in 1976.
Nobody in that gang today ever read Steinbeck. Like the other surrounding Hispanic gangs they have devolved into violent psychopathic thugs with drug fried brains and no honor or ethics, they victimize their own race, neighborhood, and even their own homeboys.
"
Very interesting read to say the least ...

But I’m not convinced.

at best it makes for good torica / conversation about the origin of Compton Tortilla Flats,

but it’s far from hood gospel.

One of the older Mendoza brothers had been reading a book for school by John Steinbeck called "Tortilla Flats."

How does he know he was reading that book?

Did he actually see him read it?

Did that very same vato tell him about the book and that’s how he came to the conclusion?

If he knew for a fact that he was reading that book, he would have known which Mendoza brother it was …

he doesn’t even know which one it was reading!

only that it was “one of older brothers:shock:

Common now!!

if you’re going to take credit for coming with the Official Varrio name of another varrio that already exist in East Los …

shit’s got to be concrete solid.

…………………

The rest was a very good read … regarding Chuck, Midget, Crook ect from CVTF

also

The Compton Farmers = Farm Dog Compton Crips

the Swamp Boys = Original Swamp Hood Compton Crips

The Compton Varrio Tres = CV 3

Willowbrook Winos = CV Willowbrook

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 28th, 2013, 8:18 pm

cv willowbrook ?? cv willow street is very recent gang did u ever heard of c willowbrook ?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » May 28th, 2013, 8:38 pm

bgcasper wrote:cv willowbrook ?? cv willow street is very recent gang did u ever heard of c willowbrook ?

Willowbrook 13 goes back to the 1950s, but has been defunct for a long time
It is mentioned in several writings, and there's even wall tags pictures on the flickr pages

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 28th, 2013, 10:12 pm

[quote="Lonewolf"][quote="bgcasper"]cv willowbrook ?? cv willow street is very recent gang did u ever heard of c willowbrook ?[/quote]

It is mentioned in several writings, and there's even wall tags pictures on the flickr pages[/quote]
ok ok thanks for that info what was their boundaries hang out enemigos ?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 10th, 2013, 11:18 am

bgcasper wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:
bgcasper wrote:cv willowbrook ?? cv willow street is very recent gang did u ever heard of c willowbrook ?

It is mentioned in several writings, and there's even wall tags pictures on the flickr pages
ok ok thanks for that info what was their boundaries hang out enemigos ?
yeah i'm not deep with their story, just saying from what i've ran in to by reading, and not from personal knowledge
Willowbrook 13 by deduction would of have to been operating in the area along Willowbrook Avenue, along the Mexican parts like CVLS13, CV124, CVL36 areas, I can't see them being anywhere else., sort of like the same about Jardin (Gardens) from Watts, they were in the same area where Imperial Courts were built, and that was that.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 10th, 2013, 1:40 pm

I wanna say thats not the 1st time I've heard that Jardin 13 was in Watts ^

so my question is - where they in Watts before they were in East Side / Montebello??

cus I do know Jardin has been around a good while

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 10th, 2013, 4:37 pm

i don't have access to my crates full of papers right now, but Watts Gardens (Jardin) and Jardin 13 from So.East Side are two diff varrios altogether. The J13 (S'ELA) got its name from Montebello Gardens, which is what the area around there was part of on the maps. The Watts Gardens went defunct. The Watts Jardin was said to been around as far back as the 1920s up to the 40s, maybe even the 50s, and the whittier blvd J13 was born in the 1950s. Well at least, that's how i understand both their histories to be.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » June 11th, 2013, 12:20 am

[quote="Lonewolf"]i don't have access to my crates full of papers right now, but Watts Gardens (Jardin) and Jardin 13 from So.East Side are two diff varrios altogether. The J13 (S'ELA) got its name from Montebello Gardens, which is what the area around there was part of on the maps. The Watts Gardens went defunct. The Watts Jardin was said to been around as far back as the 1920s up to the 40s, maybe even the 50s, and the whittier blvd J13 was born in the 1950s. Well at least, that's how i understand both their histories to be.[/quote]
I ALSO HEARD about a compton jardin at one point

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » June 11th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Hmm, I thought jardin was Gardena.

yourmomslover
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Compton

Unread post by yourmomslover » August 13th, 2016, 8:16 pm

We started in boyle heights in the early 30's and migrated to Compton in the early 60's on oris in that tortilleria our og's were selling dope there all day.. A PF og said his grandpa was from my hood CVTF and that White Fence broke off us in 1939.. We've been told to be the first FLATS hood then Primera Flats.. Cuatro Flats broke off us too, when we left to Compton way back in the day.. We started Encinitas Flats too.. COMPTON TORTILLA FLATS

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » August 19th, 2016, 6:29 am

also them torance flat had connect with cvtf they had snipper clicc found that name funny ...also whats the deal with pacoima flat and valinda

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 7th, 2017, 7:50 pm

MARTINEZ wrote:I wanna say thats not the 1st time I've heard that Jardin 13 was in Watts ^

so my question is - where they in Watts before they were in East Side / Montebello??

cus I do know Jardin has been around a good while

Watts JARDIN was located right where the Imperial Courts projects were built. JARDIN was tucked in between Largo & Colonia Watts.

LakotaSioux
What city do you live in now?: LA

Unread post by LakotaSioux » February 7th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Back to the topic of Barrio Pobre and Barrio Small Town of Long Beach. Both have hoods in Orange County.
Barrio Pobre has a hood in Anaheim (ABP) off Lincoln and Beach they hang around Laxore Street, Schweitzer Park, and The Biltmore Apartments.They started sometime in the 90s by people from Long Beach Barrio Pobre.
Barrio Small Town also have a hood in Anaheim and Santa Ana. Anaheim Barrio Small Town Los Tiny Winos neighborhood is on South Dakota St. And Avon Pl
And the Santa Ana Barrio Small Town Los Bandits neighborhood is on Pacific and Warner.
The Long Beach BST started the BST in Anaheim. Then the Anaheim BST later started the Santa Ana BST

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » February 9th, 2017, 6:59 pm

barrio pobre ...well its really the long beach one that started a small one family gang in compton ...dont know if they still exist???[attachment=0]12679_215024488667019_1049386317_n.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
12679_215024488667019_1049386317_n.jpg
12679_215024488667019_1049386317_n.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 8405 times

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » February 9th, 2017, 7:05 pm

[attachment=0]13221045_610851429084321_4547273485577748271_n.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
13221045_610851429084321_4547273485577748271_n.jpg
13221045_610851429084321_4547273485577748271_n.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 8404 times

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”