1992 (why was this year the most violent year)?

Discuss Hispanic gangs, Southsiders, Sureños in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

1992 (why was this year the most violent year)?

Unread post by TheAngels » December 15th, 2012, 9:50 pm

1992 always stood out to me. It was the most violent year in L.A. history. It was the year of the Riots. It was in the era when "gangsta" movies like 'Boyz N The Hood', 'South Central', and 'Menace II Society' were blockbusters. West Coast gangsta rap was at its peak popularity & sales.

1992 saw 2,589 murders in L.A. County. This year, in 2012, we're on track to have about 550 by years' end.

What's the explanation for 1992 being so violent? Was it crack? Was this before police had stiff injunctions against gangs? Was it before all of the gang abatement programs were prevalent?

And when you look at national homicide rates, 1992 was the most violent year around the country. Ever since that year, homicides have been dropping.

I'd just like to hear from others as to why 1992 and the early 90s in general was so violent.

swiften
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: buena park

Re: 1992 (why was this year the most violent year)?

Unread post by swiften » December 16th, 2012, 12:46 am

The 3 strike law passed in 1993?

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » December 16th, 2012, 4:00 am

swiften wrote:The 3 strike law passed in 1993?
That could have helped crime drop, but not why 1992 was so violent. I think part of why 1992 was so violent, had to do a lot with drugs. In the bay area there was a lot of dope like crack & beefs over drugs. Basically I think crime sort of reached a peak n things needed to change, which happened.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » December 17th, 2012, 7:29 pm

TheAngels wrote:1992 always stood out to me. It was the most violent year in L.A. history. It was the year of the Riots. It was in the era when "gangsta" movies like 'Boyz N The Hood', 'South Central', and 'Menace II Society' were blockbusters. West Coast gangsta rap was at its peak popularity & sales.

1992 saw 2,589 murders in L.A. County. This year, in 2012, we're on track to have about 550 by years' end.

What's the explanation for 1992 being so violent? Was it crack? Was this before police had stiff injunctions against gangs? Was it before all of the gang abatement programs were prevalent?

And when you look at national homicide rates, 1992 was the most violent year around the country. Ever since that year, homicides have been dropping.

I'd just like to hear from others as to why 1992 and the early 90s in general was so violent.
if you check the murder stats, there were more murders in 1980 and 1995, those are the two worst years on record for LA City.

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » December 17th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Yeah i knew it was around 95-7 being the worst years i thought.

How many murders in 1980 were documented, reason why i say documented cgbecause back in 1980 when gangs were at there
highest peak thanks through the introduction of the dope game more seriously on a multi million dollar hgang leaders during the late late 70's (78ish9) - 86ish8 with that being said robberies, murders for carving out turf that some hoods hold to this day. ts hard to typ on my phone in this forum smfh but whateva gotta copy and paste so excuse me, as i was saying with all the money,floating around during that time, documented bodies were counted but they alos had money tand connections to get rid of bodies however they could back then....especially in the 80s no forensics, barely any technology in that time, it was hard for them to find bodies in plain sight let alone planned out hits from whealthy dope boys....shit did rick ross ever get convicted of any murders?? Im sure he had people whacked and so on with other people who were heavey at the time.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » December 19th, 2012, 9:35 pm

youngspade wrote:Yeah i knew it was around 95-7 being the worst years i thought.

How many murders in 1980 were documented, reason why i say documented cgbecause back in 1980 when gangs were at there
highest peak thanks through the introduction of the dope game more seriously on a multi million dollar hgang leaders during the late late 70's (78ish9) - 86ish8 with that being said robberies, murders for carving out turf that some hoods hold to this day. ts hard to typ on my phone in this forum smfh but whateva gotta copy and paste so excuse me, as i was saying with all the money,floating around during that time, documented bodies were counted but they alos had money tand connections to get rid of bodies however they could back then....especially in the 80s no forensics, barely any technology in that time, it was hard for them to find bodies in plain sight let alone planned out hits from whealthy dope boys....shit did rick ross ever get convicted of any murders?? Im sure he had people whacked and so on with other people who were heavey at the time.
In 1980 there were 1,028 murders in the City of LA. There were a lot in 1992 too, 1,092. In 1993 there were 1,077. I dont remember for 1995 but I may have been wrong on that. I will post all the homicide numbers on the page from 1980 to 2011.

But 1980 was the worst year in LA's history because the population was also much smaller. That was the highest murder rate in LA history.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » December 19th, 2012, 11:36 pm

alexalonso wrote:
youngspade wrote:Yeah i knew it was around 95-7 being the worst years i thought.

In 1980 there were 1,028 murders in the City of LA. There were a lot in 1992 too, 1,092. In 1993 there were 1,077. I dont remember for 1995 but I may have been wrong on that. I will post all the homicide numbers on the page from 1980 to 2011.

But 1980 was the worst year in LA's history because the population was also much smaller. That was the highest murder rate in LA history.

Alex, what do you think is the explanation for the sharp rise in 1980? Crack comes to mind, but I don't know.

And what do you think the continuous drop in crime since the '90s can be attributed to? This year is lower than last, and lower than the year before that, and so on...

I was looking at L.A. County stats... but we're going to have about 550 murders total this year county wide. I don't know what the L.A. City stats. Probably in the 300s I bet.

http://www.streetgangs.com/homicides/lachomichart.html

http://projects.latimes.com/homicide/map/

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » December 20th, 2012, 2:34 am

Crack wasnt on the streets in 1980, Crack hit in 1982 / 83.

1992 increase has nothing to do with gangs. This was a national trend all over the US.

Check out my homicide charts for LA

http://www.streetgangs.com/cities/los-a ... cides-2006

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » January 17th, 2013, 4:15 pm

alexalonso wrote:
youngspade wrote: In 1980 there were 1,028 murders in the City of LA. There were a lot in 1992 too, 1,092.

I can speak on 1992 all mothafuckan day, cus i paroled from Y.A. in April 1992 (but I wont right now... :mrgreen: )

right during the L.A. riots

@ alonso - im suprised like a mothafucka about 1980 -

do you have a chart or can you tell us where most of the gang activity /murders were at

shit... also keep in mind, not only was the pop much small in L.A.back then but also there was way fewer gang

thats saying sum!

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Unread post by femun » January 17th, 2013, 8:12 pm

The 80's/early 90's were a crazy time, I call this the "Crack Era" Life wasn't worth much back then.

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Hispanic gangs”