History of the Highland Park 13 Gang

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

History of the Highland Park 13 Gang

Unread post by yoda100 » October 26th, 2019, 7:42 pm

The Highland Park 13 gang was formed in 1972 in North East Los Angeles, they were originally known as the "Baltimore street locos" gang, named after the street where the gang would hang out, between Avenue 50 and Avenue 53 & Baltimore. Females have always been apart of the neighborhood from the start. Originally Highland Park 13 started as a social club for local latino youth to protect themselves from other violent youths. They also used the cartoon character "Speedy Gonzalez" as a logo for the gang, and would also use a "Jalapeno" to diss their biggest rival, the "Avenues" gang. Their rivalry with the Avenues gang did not start until 1981, and their rivalries with other surrounding gang's did not start until the early 1990s.

In the early 1980s, the Highland Park 13 gang began to expand its turf, by forming two new clicks on opposite sides of the original neighborhood. The two new clicks that the Highland Park 13 gang formed at this time, were the "50th street chicos" on Avenue 50, and the "Strickland Boys" which became known as the "Peewee Locos" on Strickland Ave. By the late 1980s, Highland Park 13 formed another click called the "Dukes" click. The Dukes click hung out on Avenue 50 with another click known as the "Chicos Malos", aswell as on Monterey Road. The Dukes would later be known as the "50th street Dukes" click. In the early 1990's, a tagging crew known as the "Back Street King's" was formed in North East L.A, they were courted into the HLP gang and formed their own click, the "Back Street Locos", but then reverted back into the "Back Street King's". One of the last click's to be formed by HLP was in 2002, calling themselves the "York Blvd Criminals", and around the same time of the formation of this click, two local tagging crews were recruited into the gang, "LCM, Los Crazy Mexicans" and "FTC, Fuck The Cops".

Til this day, they continue their beef with the Avenues gang, with over a dozen shootings & murders on both sides.

Deceased members of the Highland Park 13 gang.

Jonathan Val, 17, shot & killed by the Avenues gang on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 4:10pm. Val was standing on a sidewalk at 4:10pm, when a vehicle drove up and fired numerous shots. Val was struck twice, once in the chest and the back, before he fled on foot and collapsed on N. Ave 57st. He was taken to Hungtington Memorial Hosptial, where he was pronounced dead at 5:00pm.

Primo R.I.P
Lady Sleepy R.I.P
Johnny "Conejo" R.I.P
Kapper R.I.P
Eddie "Bosco" R.I.P
etc.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: History of the Highland Park 13 Gang

Unread post by yoda100 » October 26th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Ray Loco R.I.P

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » October 26th, 2019, 7:54 pm

HP13
Attachments
Highland Park 13.jpg
Highland Park 13.jpg (57.09 KiB) Viewed 15285 times

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » October 28th, 2019, 1:14 am

Very interesting info.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » October 28th, 2019, 1:53 am

TheAngels wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 1:14 am
Very interesting info.
Yup, one thing that caught my attention was, this hood started in the 70s, I was suprised, I always assumed they were a mid to late 80's gang. And another thing was i also thought they broke off of "Avenues", but they didn't, they came up on their own. Also I had a typo in this and messed up on the disses LOL sorry to the Highland Park gang, I did not mean to disrespect yall, the term "Jalapeno" is actually the diss for Highland Park by their rivals and its not a diss to the "Avenues" gang, the correct diss towards the "Avenues" is "Noodles" or "Sopas".

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » October 28th, 2019, 2:21 am

yoda100 wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 1:53 am
TheAngels wrote:
Very interesting info.
Yup, one thing that caught my attention was, this hood started in the 70s, I was suprised, I always assumed they were a mid to late 80's gang. And another thing was i also thought they broke off of "Avenues", but they didn't, they came up on their own. Also I had a typo in this and messed up on the disses LOL sorry to the Highland Park gang, I did not mean to disrespect yall, the term "Jalapeno" is actually the diss for Highland Park by their rivals and its not a diss to the "Avenues" gang, the correct diss towards the "Avenues" is "Noodles" or "Sopas".

Interesting. I always figured HP13 was always its own hood, but I thought the Cypress Park Boys either broke off from the Avenues or were closely cliques with the Avenues before becoming rivals. From what I understand the Cypress Avenues clique (Aves 13) is basically the part that joined the Aves, and the CP Boys didn’t. I’m not exactly sure.

One thing I was trying to do was map out HP13’s hood... I have a general idea but not precise... Here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 57996&z=13

I don’t think their west side goes all the way to Eagle Rock Blvd... maybe just west of Avenue 50? And based on what you wrote their north side is somewhere in the hills south of Yosemite Drive... You also mentioned Monterey Road which means they go east of the 110? The Southern border I’m thinking is where Dog Town and Avenues territories meet. Is the Garvanza area part of HP 13 or Avenues? Or neutral?

I’m guessing HP13 name their cliques “50th Street” & “59th Street” even though they’re avenues because of their beef with the Aves?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » October 28th, 2019, 1:37 pm

good history.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 31st, 2019, 9:58 pm

TheAngels wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 2:21 am
yoda100 wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 1:53 am
TheAngels wrote:
Very interesting info.

Interesting. I always figured HP13 was always its own hood, but I thought the Cypress Park Boys either broke off from the Avenues or were closely cliques with the Avenues before becoming rivals. From what I understand the Cypress Avenues clique (Aves 13) is basically the part that joined the Aves, and the CP Boys didn’t. I’m not exactly sure.

One thing I was trying to do was map out HP13’s hood... I have a general idea but not precise... Here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 57996&z=13

I don’t think their west side goes all the way to Eagle Rock Blvd... maybe just west of Avenue 50? And based on what you wrote their north side is somewhere in the hills south of Yosemite Drive... You also mentioned Monterey Road which means they go east of the 110? The Southern border I’m thinking is where Dog Town and Avenues territories meet. Is the Garvanza area part of HP 13 or Avenues? Or neutral?

I’m guessing HP13 name their cliques “50th Street” & “59th Street” even though they’re avenues because of their beef with the Aves?
just a lil' correction.. the initials are "HLP" not HP13., the reason why? HP belongs to Huntington Park Locos, they're older than HLxP

second.. HLxP was beefing it with everyone around way before the 90s ~> FACT !!!

but no, HLxP never was part of the AVES, nor a break off of anyone that I know of about them., neither was CPBoys a break off of the AVES, I wrote a little history on the CPBoys here posted somewhere.. gotta old family from there, so.. and no they don't go down to Monterey Road, that's AVES.

HEADHUNNAGANGX4
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Unread post by HEADHUNNAGANGX4 » November 5th, 2019, 1:32 pm

been runin into alot of HLP's in dena , they bang the H real hard andhave gotn alog with head hunna gang 614 through the H love from my two encounters with them ,1stencounter was through hunna gang automatic / lil hunna skam bam #2 ,and 2nd encounter cat was sayn he related to rapper lil snupe , but reguardlessk both encounters the conversations held were just about being a H hat plug , they mouths water over d.at H ,to the poit 14 can be brought up and the H trumps enething else said , ive had two ave encounters in dena too , once when the mnm street was really active with the hunnaz i yelled out to sum blued up ese walkn roun where was he from ? he yelled out aves and i just yelled out what? and he ran fast as hell , and other was jus sum ave in liqour store sayin aves alot to et his surroundings know hwere he was from , he might have known who i was and just wanted to get a reaction out of me , but nutn directed just was yelling aves in the store alot lol

Chicanoism
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: OC

Unread post by Chicanoism » November 15th, 2019, 12:44 am

I’ve got a few old school HLP photos but this is one of my favorites. It was taken around 1981 in front of Franklin HS and besides HLP you’ve also got AVES and DT all in the photo. Now all three of these varrios are deadly rivals.
Attachments
11FCD070-EF71-4477-B269-528D5CFD395C.jpeg
11FCD070-EF71-4477-B269-528D5CFD395C.jpeg (157.68 KiB) Viewed 14557 times

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » November 18th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Chicanoism wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 12:44 am
I’ve got a few old school HLP photos but this is one of my favorites. It was taken around 1981 in front of Franklin HS and besides HLP you’ve also got AVES and DT all in the photo. Now all three of these varrios are deadly rivals.
that's a firme flica ese Mr. CE :)

That's a trip if it's 1981 because DxT was already going at it with the Avenues, but i can relate to a little bit of get-along en las clechas, like DxT and 43rd did at Nightingale when i went there. Never went to Franklin, just Lincoln.
Back in the later mid 70s, HLP was in its infancy.

Chicanoism
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: OC

Unread post by Chicanoism » November 20th, 2019, 7:45 am

I researched the year by asking two people who might have the best knowledge about this particular photo; the daughter of one person in the photo and a guy who went out with a girl in that photo around the time it was taken. I also have access to one person in the photo but he’s not as easy to get ahold of.

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”