Questions about the 1978 Gang Map

Many neighborhoods can not maintain themselves with the level of competition. They may get pulled into other neighborhoods or they just fade out. Only discuss those areas from LOS ANGELES that are gone.
TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Questions about the 1978 Gang Map

Unread post by TheAngels » December 24th, 2016, 1:45 am

I was looking at this map the other day... Many of these hoods are still active of course and more or less hold the same territory...

Just had a few questions for anyone who might know?

1.) Notice small green "W/S 18th Street" hood on the top left (next to the pink rectangle)...? I know that area and that's on the northeast side of Beverly & Fairfax... right across from CBS Studios. Was that really an 18th Street hood? Because that area today is a yuppie area so it's hard to imagine any gangs claimed that as their hood. I know LA was rougher at one time but I just never imagined that was ever a hood.

2.) See the "W/S Crips" in green on the bottom left? Was that hood really called "West Side Crips" at one point or is that area just a bunch of Crip sets and they were too lazy to list them? Because today that area is mainly the Crip hoods belonging to School Yard, Mansfield, West Boulevard, Marvin, and some By Yoself Hustler... Wondering if they were W/S Crips that broke up into a bunch of smaller hoods... (I grew up in this green area)...

3.) Satanas in pink in the center -- right above 18th Street... That area is around John Burroughs Middle School, and I know that area... Nicer upper-middle class homes... part of Hancock Park. How was that ever a hood? Or did some Satanas have some wealthier parents?

I'm thinking either Mr. Alonso would know this, or some older heads who were around... Or maybe some younger guys who know their history...

Map:

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Re: Questions about the 1978 Gang Map

Unread post by bgcasper » December 28th, 2016, 1:52 am

clanton was hudge thats what really change on sur side ..yep west side crip is mysterious since we exepct the og wsc been more toward manchester and the hunned

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » March 10th, 2017, 11:04 pm

well I ain't no expert but here's my two cents on the topic., in the later part of the 1970s CLANTONE 14ST had the most territories in the west side like the map shows, but the pink area closest to Belmont High School was C14 and not 18ST., 18ST was more towards Alvarado and below 6th street.

Also, 18ST never actually occupied ALPINE's territory in-between Sunset, Broadway and the Stadium was still very much VAR all the way into the early 1980's. I know for a fact that they were 18 streeters living over there, but they did not own the territory.

Echo Park "did not" extend to the lake. ExP was mainly north of Sunset concentrated along Echo Park Avenue, that's it.

Diamond street actually went all the way up to Sunset, and they also extended all the way to Angelino Heights at one time.

Also, the only STS semi-hood that I remember from back then was the one in actual Pilipino Town next to TST hood. In fact, I don't believe STS to actually have held down streets like the chicanos, they banged, but I don't ever remember anyone ever saying this is SATANAS varrio, never ever, they had a general area but no actual varrio, and yeah some of them cats had parents with money, I partied a couple of times with some ladies from them and they had some big ass fine pads, at least, that's what they seemed to me back then coming from the pjs.

BTW, I don't think this is an actual map from 1978, there's just way too many big territories shown for the west side in those years., you got to remember that back in those years it was certain smaller areas along certain streets that had the gangs, but the biggest chunks of the west side were well-to-do neighborhoods. And who ever Crayola that map messed up in the way they write w/s for west side, and also with spelling santanas instead of SATANAS. Therefore my conclusion is that this map was not drawn in the 1970's.

One more thing, they forgot to include V V R in that map. Varrio VISTA Rifa was very much around in the 1970's.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » March 12th, 2017, 5:27 am

interresting only way to know is to ask the 1 who brang that map to that forum and were he got it from

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 28th, 2017, 9:33 pm

The map is definitely from 1978. I have the actually physical copies and it was given to me from a retired Sheriff deputy. Also I do recall 18th Street in the small section next to Alpine during the early 1980s, infact I was there about 1 year ago, and still see 18th Street placas. I always thought of that as one of their offial varrios.

HNIC
What city do you live in now?: LAC

Unread post by HNIC » April 22nd, 2018, 1:24 am

WS Crips in that area is really due to the Godfather Crips, all of em, Pico, Marvin, and Harlem all had a hand in Crippin going to Mid-City/WLA

HNIC

Unread post by HNIC » April 22nd, 2018, 1:35 am

[quote="HNIC"]WS Crips in that area is really due to the Godfather Crips, all of em, Pico, Marvin, and Harlem all had a hand in Crippin going to Mid-City/WLA[/quote]
1978 WSC was already there but the sets really formed right after that, Marvin, Playboy, SYC, Geer Gang, West Bl all came after or about 1979-80...

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » April 26th, 2018, 10:06 pm

1979 defenetly the turning year in crippin the death of raymond and the tookie busted for a death sentence ....that year

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 3rd, 2018, 5:22 pm

bgcasper wrote:1979 defenetly the turning year in crippin the death of raymond and the tookie busted for a death sentence ....that year

Big U also said in the VladTV interview that around 1979 was the year Crippin changed... and became more of the "gangbangin" that we saw in the 80's & 90's (and today to a lesser degree).

Also I believe '79 is when the 60's vs Eight Tray beef started...?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 19th, 2018, 7:29 am

yess exactly 1979 the tray vs 60 started

Pico2jeff

Unread post by Pico2jeff » May 19th, 2018, 10:38 am

If ws crip ran that whole area in 78, what years was Mid town family active? Also that 18st hood above Rollin 20s must explain that old ms18 hitup i found on Adams and Manhattan. I have been seeing clanton 14 hit up on Washington and Venice between Normandie and Western for years but never ran into 1. Also they didn't list Hoover park family and they dont list Rollin 20s and Black Stones as bloods is it possible this map was made before 78 because there were alot of gangs around by 78?

Pico2jeff

Unread post by Pico2jeff » May 19th, 2018, 10:41 am

Also there was a gang called West Side Locos around Adams and Catalina anybody heard of them?

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 19th, 2018, 3:59 pm

I'm still curious about that 18th Street hood in the green rectangle on the upper-left... No one here seems to know.

That area is off Fairfax & Beverly, across from CBS Studios, which is not a "hood" or a gang area today and hasn't been at any time I remember. Although Fairfax stores that have sprung up over the last 10+ years has brought in a more street/urban vibe, but most people who live there are yuppies.

But 1978 was a different time period than today of course and times change.

If I were to guess, it was a small 18th Street set that went defunct due to rent/housing prices, court-ordered evictions, police crackdowns, etc.

I could see it having potential to be 18th Street in the 70's, as there are a lot of apartments in that area; maybe at one time they were low-income but today they are costly...

I might walk that area looking for maybe old 18th Street tags in concrete...

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 19th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Pico2jeff wrote:Also there was a gang called West Side Locos around Adams and Catalina anybody heard of them?
There's a current West Side Locos in the area between Palms & Playboy Gangster Crip hood...

I don't know if that's part of the same hood/lineage or a new different set. I'm guessing it's the same hood that branched out.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 19th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Pico2jeff wrote:If ws crip ran that whole area in 78, what years was Mid town family active? Also that 18st hood above Rollin 20s must explain that old ms18 hitup i found on Adams and Manhattan. I have been seeing clanton 14 hit up on Washington and Venice between Normandie and Western for years but never ran into 1. Also they didn't list Hoover park family and they dont list Rollin 20s and Black Stones as bloods is it possible this map was made before 78 because there were alot of gangs around by 78?

It's also possible the Sheriffs who made this map weren't completely up to date or detailed. They may have knew of them as the Black Stones for years and weren't on top of the whole "Black P. Stones/Blood" changes that had just occurred. Like listing that Mid City area as "W/S Crip" when others say it was just a mix of Crip sets with their own names, but cops weren't being that detailed in their labels.

HNIC

Unread post by HNIC » September 4th, 2020, 3:10 pm

What's the area in yellow located just south of Echo Park? This image of the map cuts off right at that area but the whole shows something there. That area is Osiri Boys now but I'm sure they weren't there circa 1978...?