50's-mid 60's gangs

Many neighborhoods can not maintain themselves with the level of competition. They may get pulled into other neighborhoods or they just fade out. Only discuss those areas from LOS ANGELES that are gone.
Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

50's-mid 60's gangs

Unread post by Silencioso » May 6th, 2005, 2:30 pm

East LA:

El Hoyo Soto
Lil First
La Primera (Big First)
Honey Drippers
Valley Rats
Volksmen
Saxons
Amelia St.
Macy St.

Downtown LA:
Palo Verde
Bishop
River Rats

West LA:
Los Reyes de Venice
Los Chivos
Los Dados
Satans
Lil' Lords

South LA:
Lil Quarter

SF Valley:
Undertakers

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: 50's-mid 60's gangs

Unread post by Silencioso » May 10th, 2005, 2:04 pm

West LA cont.

Buzzards (50's Santa Monica)
Black Cross (40's Venice/Ocean Park)
Dragons (40's Santa Monica)

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » May 18th, 2005, 12:47 pm

LONG BEACH

Brown Life (became West Side Longo)

POMONA

Sharkies (became Pomona 12th Street)

SG Valley

Thee Mystics
The Animal Tribe (became Lomas)

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » May 18th, 2005, 12:48 pm

EAST LA (1940's)

Black Legion
Rowan St.
Downey Ramblers
Black Widows (female)

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » May 23rd, 2005, 8:31 am

Silencioso wrote:EAST LA (1940's)

Black Legion
Rowan St.
Downey Ramblers
Black Widows (female)
The Black Widows were Pachuca's - right?

The Downey Ramblers were White teens - right?

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » May 30th, 2005, 9:03 pm

i HEARD OF River Rats, but that was many years ago. DO you know what year they were oout Silencio? Was it the early 1960s?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » May 31st, 2005, 8:37 am

Silencioso wrote: SG Valley

Thee Mystics
The Animal Tribe (became Lomas)
Chale ese, "LOMAS" (The Hills), were already in existance prior to these 2 you mentioned. What happened is that all those youngster clubs of the day, ended up getting cliked up under LOMAS, in order to be able to withstand the pressure coming down on them by San Gra or other varrios like El Monte Flores.

Re-read the book, it a cool & well-writte life story of a veterano from AT/LS.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » May 31st, 2005, 8:40 am

alonso wrote:i HEARD OF River Rats, but that was many years ago. DO you know what year they were oout Silencio? Was it the early 1960s?
Probably a dis' for Frog Town River Side?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » May 31st, 2005, 8:51 am

Silencioso wrote:East LA:

La Primera (Big First)
Honey Drippers
Macy St.

Downtown LA:
Palo Verde
River Rats

West LA:
Los Chivos
Los Dados
Satans

South LA:
Lil Quarter
La Primera - later days PRIMERA FLATS
Honey Drippers - I beleive became WF Clique?
Macy St. - later days Dog Town 1933, before the projects built in 1943.
Palo Verde - later days La Loma, over by the old Chavez Ravine area.
Los Chivos & Los Dados - later days Culver City varrio.
Satans ? Could be "SATANAS", real olden Mexican-Pinoy varrio on the WS

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » June 2nd, 2005, 2:32 pm

River Rats are mentioned in an old LA Times article on gangs from 1953. Most of the older gangs mentioned above come from old LA Times articles.

CHivos and Dados became CXC?

Did Los Reyes become Venice 13?

I don't think The Satans are connected to Satanas. They were a small local gang.

Downey Ramblers were pachucos. They might have been white or partially white. Don't know.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 2nd, 2005, 6:16 pm

Where can I find & read that L.A. TImes article of 1953 gangs?

Downey Ramblers "Pachucos"? Are you sure about this one, because back in those decades "Downey" was a white neighborhood, there is a book (the same one that has that Animal Tribe / Lomas info), which re-itereates this fact about certain areas like Lynwood, South Gate & Downey being white neighborhoods were Mexicans were not welcomed.

If you read the Sleepy Lagoon fact-story as well, you'll find out that the Downey gang that has a part in the rumble, "were" white kids / youngsters -not Pachucos. But do you have any more info on these Downey Ramblers?

The Chivos & Dados were from the Del Rey Mexican immigrant enclave of what today compromises Mar Vista & southwest Culver City, wether they actually became CC13 I can't say, I don't know. But there is a book that I read a long time ago about that part of town that made mention of these clubs.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » June 7th, 2005, 12:39 pm

I doubt they became CXC 13. CXC 13 didn't become a single consolidated gang untill the late 80's. Before that, several gangs shared the varrio name CXC
- CXC Diablos, CXC Dukes etc. These weren't just different cliques. They were diffent gangs in the same general area that pulled together agianst common enemies like V13.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 8th, 2005, 5:09 pm

Silencioso wrote:I doubt they became CXC 13. CXC 13 didn't become a single consolidated gang untill the late 80's. Before that, several gangs shared the varrio name CXC
- CXC Diablos, CXC Dukes etc. These weren't just different cliques. They were diffent gangs in the same general area that pulled together agianst common enemies like V13.
I think you're way off on this one.
CxC to my understanding was "1" varrio long before the late 80's, and they held down their sh*t hard from as far back as can remember. They been there 4the longest time, beefing hard against 18ST & LNX13 & PBG, V13 & Santa Mona Locos, and this was even before the 80s.
I'm not doubting you that there were others around, but the part about CxC not being consolidated -I got to call you on that one -don't ring true to me because I schooled with some of the vatos from CxC for a couple of years and they never let out any divisions in their ranks or varrio.

They other thing about Sotel using "S13", never during the 70s that I was around did I ever see them hit up S13, it was always "STL" SoTeL, in the same manner that LeNoX tags up, now if they changed it up, then they changed it up, oh well, but being that they are an old varrio - it does go against the norm, but I ain't there in contact anymore, so I will step back on this one. However CxC had a clique claimed by some vatos called CxC SHADY TREE LOCOS and they would hit up "S3L" to differentiate themselves from "STL" SOTEL, this was back around 1978/79.

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » June 10th, 2005, 5:15 pm

Silencioso wrote:East LA:

El Hoyo Soto
Lil First
La Primera (Big First)
Honey Drippers
Valley Rats
Volksmen
Saxons
Amelia St.
Macy St.

Downtown LA:
Palo Verde
Bishop
River Rats

West LA:
Los Reyes de Venice
Los Chivos
Los Dados
Satans
Lil' Lords

South LA:
Lil Quarter

SF Valley:
Undertakers
Honey Drippers are WF.HDS

Never heard of Valley Rats or any of the ither so called old East Los hoods except Macy.

Other old school honorable mentions that no longer exhist are

Chavez Ravine
Beaudry Boys
Alpine St (practically gone)
Downey Boys (these are the vatos talked about in the Sleepy Lagoon incident. THEY ARE NOT WHITE BOYS FROM DOWNEY. They were Chicanos from Downtown LA. Broadway's orignal street name was Downey. That some old school knowledge for that ass, straight from the mouth of my Great Tia, original Pachuca from Temple St.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 14th, 2005, 8:15 pm

GIBBY wrote:
Honey Drippers are WF.HDS

Never heard of Valley Rats or any of the ither so called old East Los hoods except Macy.

Other old school honorable mentions that no longer exhist are

Chavez Ravine
Beaudry Boys
Alpine St (practically gone)

Downey Boys (these are the vatos talked about in the Sleepy Lagoon incident. THEY ARE NOT WHITE BOYS FROM DOWNEY. They were Chicanos from Downtown LA. Broadway's orignal street name was Downey. That some old school knowledge for that ass, straight from the mouth of my Great Tia, original Pachuca from Temple St.
I keep coming across the Barrio Palo Verde = Chavez Ravine
so where there 2 Barrios in that area or was the Gang called PV?
but no CR gang -just the community name?

Hey Gibby, I was reading the book Going Down To The Brrio by Joan W. Moore, and in it you I read that the WF Honneydrippers was a girls clique. The ladies would play a song with the same name over and over again, that the WF Originals baptized them with the name. The book also states that LiL Fence was also a girls clique -this is not how I understood the name to have been originated historically, so I ask you for insight on it.

There is also a recently out book by Eduardo Obregon "Murder At The Sleepy Lagoon" which goes into detail about all the players like 38th ST & Downey Boys who where involved in the incident that came to be known as The Sleepy Lagoon.

As to the BISHOPS, they were the og Black South Central gang from those days if I've done my research well.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » June 15th, 2005, 1:52 pm

There was a Chuco gang called Bishop, named for Bishops Road near whats now Dodger Stadium. It was one of three varrios in the old Chavez Ravine area. The other two were Palo Verde and La Loma. I remember seeing La Loma in the 80's but I think it's long by now. Bishop and Pola Verde are ancient history.

River Rats and Valley Rats/Valley Vampires may have been black gangs or mixed gangs. The old articles in the times don't usually mention the race of the gangs or gangs members. Sometimes they list peoples names if they were arrested and you can tell by the last names.

By the way, as far as I can tell from my research the oldest varrio in L.A. that still exists is Dog Town. They're mentioned in an article from the 1910's. There was a gang back then called Boyle Heights that was white. Times change.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » June 15th, 2005, 1:52 pm

There was a Chuco gang called Bishop, named for Bishops Road near whats now Dodger Stadium. It was one of three varrios in the old Chavez Ravine area. The other two were Palo Verde and La Loma. I remember seeing La Loma in the 80's but I think it's long by now. Bishop and Pola Verde are ancient history.

River Rats and Valley Rats/Valley Vampires may have been black gangs or mixed gangs. The old articles in the times don't usually mention the race of the gangs or gangs members. Sometimes they list peoples names if they were arrested and you can tell by the last names.

By the way, as far as I can tell from my research the oldest varrio in L.A. that still exists is Dog Town. They're mentioned in an article from the 1910's. There was a gang back then called Boyle Heights that was white. Times change.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 15th, 2005, 5:59 pm

Dog Town as far as I have been able to trace it back to, is 1933, 10 years before the projects were built. There was a neighborhood in that Mision Junction Distict, full of Mexicans, Japanese & Chinese that was named Dog Town. The name was derived from the large amount of dogs roaming the railroad tracks where a large amount of waste was disposed of by the rail roads, later the name was adopted by the Mexican Gang and when the R&R grew and expanded like the rest of the city, the locals were bought out or displaced from their homes & lots, but many resisted, until the projects were built and the rest of the people moved in, so now all you have in that area in terms of residents are the Proyectos, but these came in 1943, much later than the actual DT gang has actually existed.
Some of this information was given to me by an old DT veterano who I ran into down here in SD a few months ago, as well as some book reading that I've done of the early part of the century.

East Side Clover (La Trebol), goes back also to the same 1930s period, and my uncle who's lived and worked in Lincoln Heights for the longest, told me not too long ago that these vatos where the originals in The Heights, pre-dating all the rest and that it is false as others speculate about White Fence having ever had any extent outside of the East Side in olden times.

The other old one in N.E.L.A. is FROG TOWN also pre-dating ToonerVille, who did not break off FTR. Instead TVR is said to have originated in a place called Las Tunas Canyon over by Verdugo & The Foothills, and later these Vatos incorporated with others, but that did not take place 'til much later during the 50s.

I'm always trying to get more detailed info, but it is kinda hard for me because I'm down here in SD far away from so many people who I could ask if I was in L.A.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 15th, 2005, 7:43 pm

TEMPLE STREET is dated back to "1912", so they may be the Oldest Barrio Gang still in existance?

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » June 21st, 2005, 11:30 am

lonewolf wrote:TEMPLE STREET is dated back to "1912", so they may be the Oldest Barrio Gang still in existance?
Chale, TST doesnt go back to 1912. Some claime it goes back to 1923 but that even pushin it back atleast 10 years if not more.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » October 27th, 2005, 3:42 pm

POMONA (late 50's)

Sharkies (became Pomona 12th St.)
Red Hearts
Red Dragons
Lancers
Vikings

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » October 16th, 2006, 5:24 pm

West LA (UNI H.S. area) - early 60's

Barons
Ladds (no relation to later punk rock gang - LADS)
Los Falcons de Sotel (became Sotel 13)

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » December 23rd, 2010, 2:49 pm

South L.A.

Regents
Bedouins
Chain Gang
Lonely Ones

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re:

Unread post by alexalonso » March 10th, 2011, 11:47 pm

Lonewolf wrote:Dog Town as far as I have been able to trace it back to, is 1933, 10 years before the projects were built. There was a neighborhood in that Mision Junction Distict, full of Mexicans, Japanese & Chinese that was named Dog Town. The name was derived from the large amount of dogs roaming the railroad tracks where a large amount of waste was disposed of by the rail roads, later the name was adopted by the Mexican Gang and when the R&R grew and expanded like the rest of the city, the locals were bought out or displaced from their homes & lots, but many resisted, until the projects were built and the rest of the people moved in, so now all you have in that area in terms of residents are the Proyectos, but these came in 1943, much later than the actual DT gang has actually existed.
Some of this information was given to me by an old DT veterano who I ran into down here in SD a few months ago, as well as some book reading that I've done of the early part of the century.

East Side Clover (La Trebol), goes back also to the same 1930s period, and my uncle who's lived and worked in Lincoln Heights for the longest, told me not too long ago that these vatos where the originals in The Heights, pre-dating all the rest and that it is false as others speculate about White Fence having ever had any extent outside of the East Side in olden times.

The other old one in N.E.L.A. is FROG TOWN also pre-dating ToonerVille, who did not break off FTR. Instead TVR is said to have originated in a place called Las Tunas Canyon over by Verdugo & The Foothills, and later these Vatos incorporated with others, but that did not take place 'til much later during the 50s.

I'm always trying to get more detailed info, but it is kinda hard for me because I'm down here in SD far away from so many people who I could ask if I was in L.A.
I traced Dog Town back to 1895 when it was Mexican and Irish. The LA Times published articles about them in the 1890s. Also there are references to Alpine in the 1890s too. Now there are the oldest gangs in LA, but I done think Alpine is active anymore.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 11th, 2011, 7:05 am

Weren't the Slausons, Businessmen, and Harlem Godfathers back in the 60's as well?

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » March 16th, 2011, 5:24 am

Rebel Rousers too. Pops told me about this gang back in the day. He said they would get into it with the Slausons.

Return to “Inactive and Past Gang Neighborhoods”