Van Nuys Asian Boys ABS, Asian Boyz ABZ

There is a rich history in our urban streets and many articles and documentaries are discussing these guys. Post your thoughts here about those O/Gs, Veteranos and other historical figures from the past.
judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Van Nuys Asian Boys ABS, Asian Boyz ABZ

Unread post by judastaugamma » September 7th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Son Thanh "SONNY" Bui, Vietnamese, Reseda, ABS
Convicted of 6 murders, 8 attempted murders.

Roatha "SNAPPER" Buth, Cambodian, Van Nuys, ABZ
Convicted of 5 murders, 2 attempted murders.

Kimorn "WOODY" Nuth, Cambodian, Van Nuys, ABZ
Convicted of 5 murders, 2 attempted murders.

Bunthoeun "TOO SHORT" Roung, Cambodian, Van Nuys, ABZ
Convicted of 3 murders, 7 attempted murders.

Sothi Menh, Cambodian, Echo Park, ABS
Convicted of 3 murders, 7 attempted murders.

David Evangelista, Filipino, Taft, ABS
Convicted of 1 murder, 6 attempted murders.

Tony "KY" Ngo, Vietnamese, Reseda, ABS
Convicted of 1 murder, 6 attempted murders.

Los Angeles Daily News
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/LAPD+CLOS ... a083863151

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SUSPECTS+ ... a083868172

Los Angeles Times
http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/20/news/mn-24877

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/mar/03/local/me-13486

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Van Nuys Asian Boys ABS, Asian Boyz ABZ

Unread post by judastaugamma » September 7th, 2012, 1:49 pm

The group was suspected of 17 murders, 39 attempted murders and 80 other crimes from 1995 to 1996. Then charged initially with over 40 crimes including extortion, arson, home invasion robbery, kidnapping and 13 murders. By trial, the prosecution went ahead with 7 murders, 18 attempted murders and 5 conspiracy to commit murder charges.

A list of some of the murder victims:

Armando Estrada and Miguel Limon, Valerio Street VST, on April 14, 1995.

Rogelio Ferman, Mara Salvatrucha MS, on July 23, 1995.

Chen Peng, Paul Vu and Ben Liao, Wah Ching WC, on August 1, 1995.

Cu Duong, Asian Boys ABS, on March 23, 1996.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » September 7th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Van "DUMPER" Heang, Cambodian, Van Nuys, ABZ
Convicted of 1 murder, 1 conspiracy to obstruct justice

Pov "WIDGET" Touch, Cambodian, Pacoima, ABZ
Convicted of 1 murder, 1 conspiracy to obstruct justice.

Los Angeles Times
http://articles.latimes.com/1998/oct/29/local/me-37209

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jun/15/local/me-41193

Murder Victim:

Dong Dinh, father of witness, on October 23, 1998.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » September 7th, 2012, 2:52 pm

Marvin "SHY BOY" Mercado, Filipino, Van Nuys, ABS
Convicted of 8 murders, 10 attempted murders.

Pierre "BOO BOO" Mercado, Filipino, Van Nuys, ABS
Convicted of 4 murders, 5 attempted murders and 2 kidnapping.

America's Most Wanted
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=24092#capture

Los Angeles Times
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/08 ... g-20110308

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... icted.html

562booney
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 562booney » September 13th, 2012, 11:33 pm

wow so van nuys a gang was no joke! :shock:

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » September 15th, 2012, 2:21 am

Whats the most active Abz chapter has went the hardest ever?

Whats the leading abz click to date?

Toyoungyes
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Compton

Unread post by Toyoungyes » September 20th, 2012, 3:13 pm

I think Long Beach and Van Nuys went hard, seems like the ones up north goes hard too, but i'm not to sure about that.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » September 28th, 2012, 5:24 pm

youngspade wrote:Whats the most active Abz chapter has went the hardest ever?

in l.a. county, the 2 most active sets is/was van nuys abs and long beach abz.

long beach abz is/was the deepest of all the ab sets in l.a. county. a lot of khmers in long beach and they've always had a lot of heads. they also started most of the abz sets outside of l.a. in northern california and on the east coast.

van nuys abs/z were the ones who got a lot of press. fox 11 specials, l.a. times, americas most wanted, gangland, etc. they were beefing with a lot of people from san fernando valley, to l.a., to san gabriel valley. the orange county abz i've met claimed they were off van nuys abs. also heard san jose ab and dallas abz and santa rosa abz was off van nuys.

chinatown abi had a solid rep but they were small and didn't last long. they were the ones who started up monterey park abz, now west side abz.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » September 28th, 2012, 5:31 pm

forgot to add that kicker who was killed by WC in that famous pool hall shooting video was chinatown ABI.

Toyoungyes
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Toyoungyes » September 28th, 2012, 5:44 pm

judastaugamma wrote:
youngspade wrote:Whats the most active Abz chapter has went the hardest ever?

in l.a. county, the 2 most active sets is/was van nuys abs and long beach abz.

long beach abz is/was the deepest of all the ab sets in l.a. county. a lot of khmers in long beach and they've always had a lot of heads. they also started most of the abz sets outside of l.a. in northern california and on the east coast.

van nuys abs/z were the ones who got a lot of press. fox 11 specials, l.a. times, americas most wanted, gangland, etc. they were beefing with a lot of people from san fernando valley, to l.a., to san gabriel valley. the orange county abz i've met claimed they were off van nuys abs. also heard san jose ab and dallas abz and santa rosa abz was off van nuys.

chinatown abi had a solid rep but they were small and didn't last long. they were the ones who started up monterey park abz, now west side abz.
How deep was Van Nuys click and was Long Beach ABZ putting alot of work in the 90's Van Nuys click? I always hear about the Asian gangs in Long Beach shooting and fighting, but wasn't sure who was who though.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » September 29th, 2012, 12:04 am

i don't understand your question, "was Long Beach ABZ putting alot of work in the 90's Van Nuys click?"

long beach abz was long beach abz, van nuys abs/abz was van nuys.

so i don't know how a long beach abz can put in work in van nuys click or vice versa.

as far as how deep van nuys abs/abz was, i couldn't guess. van nuys operated as separate crews, you'd hardly see them all together. but the 1st daily news article i posted said they arrested 33 adults and 29 juveniles in 1996 so that's at least 62 heads.

around like 97-98, you'd see a lot of the abs in viet coffee shops in reseda and canoga park, then you had the abz guys in valerio in van nuys, then both abs and abz guys at roscoe/de soto in winnetka or billiard connections in northridge.

Toyoungyes
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Toyoungyes » October 1st, 2012, 7:59 pm

judastaugamma wrote:i don't understand your question, "was Long Beach ABZ putting alot of work in the 90's Van Nuys click?"

long beach abz was long beach abz, van nuys abs/abz was van nuys.

so i don't know how a long beach abz can put in work in van nuys click or vice versa.

as far as how deep van nuys abs/abz was, i couldn't guess. van nuys operated as separate crews, you'd hardly see them all together. but the 1st daily news article i posted said they arrested 33 adults and 29 juveniles in 1996 so that's at least 62 heads.

around like 97-98, you'd see a lot of the abs in viet coffee shops in reseda and canoga park, then you had the abz guys in valerio in van nuys, then both abs and abz guys at roscoe/de soto in winnetka or billiard connections in northridge.
I meant who putted in more work in the 90's.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » October 1st, 2012, 9:13 pm

How many of those murders are the same murder. In other words, how many different people were charged for the same murder?

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » October 1st, 2012, 10:33 pm

alexalonso wrote:How many of those murders are the same murder. In other words, how many different people were charged for the same murder?
let me look up some old articles and list it.

a lot of the shootings there were multiple shooters.

like for example the vst shooting. vst came in deep like 20 heads and they were shooting at each other all over valerio gardens because abz lived in different buildings in that place.

the ms murder was another example. 1 carload of ab traded the initial shots with ms but another carload finished them off after ms crashed.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » October 2nd, 2012, 12:00 am

Armando Estrada Murder - Roeung, Menh, Bui, Nuth, Buth, M. Mercado Convicted

Ben Liao Murder - Buth, Bui, Nuth, M. Mercado, P. Mercado Convicted

Chen Peng Murder - Buth, Bui, Nuth, M. Mercado, P. Mercado Convicted

Cu Duong Murder - No Convictions

Dong Dinh Murder - Heang, Touch Convicted

John Gregory Murder - M. Mercado Convicted

Miguel Limon Murder - Roeung, Menh, Bui, Nuth, Buth, M. Mercado Convicted

Oscar Palis Murder - No Convictions

Paul Vu Murder - Buth, Bui, Nuth, M. Mercado, P. Mercado Convicted

Rogelio Ferman Murder - Roeung, Menh, Evangelista, Ngo, Bui Convicted

Tony Nguyen Murder - M. Mercado, P. Mercado Convicted

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » October 2nd, 2012, 12:13 am

I couldn't find the names of several of the murder victims.

There was the murder victim at the Sylmar races but the charges was lessened because the prosecutor's primary witness was murdered, Cu Duong.

Also don't know the names of the 2 Wah Ching killed at the Covina bowling alley and the 1 Wah Ching murdered in the San Gabriel coffee shop. They dropped the charges on those cases before trial and the news never identified their names.

hitonme
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by hitonme » October 2nd, 2012, 2:46 pm

Judas, you said they were initially charged with 17 murders. Does that include the Sylmar drag race murder, cu duong murder and the father murder? Also, Marvin was charged for the murders of Tony Gregory and Tony Nguyen. Did prosecutors have any evidence the Van Nuys seven were involved in those? Also, I read a recent article that said there was at least 15 to 25 total Van Nuys abz members convicted for Summer Madness including those 7 guys and the Mercado brothers. Did you get any sort of vibe that more van nuys cats got caught in that crap?

hitonme
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by hitonme » October 2nd, 2012, 2:51 pm

Heres the article:

LOS ANGELES - A former leader of a violent band of Asian Boyz gang members was convicted today of four counts of first-degree murder and other felonies for his role in a Los Angeles County crime spree in the 1990s.

A Los Angeles Superior Court jury also found Pierre Mercado guilty of five counts of attempted murder and one count each of kidnapping for robbery and kidnapping for extortion. Sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 24, when he faces up to 200 years to life in prison, according to Deputy District Attorney Eugene Hanrahan, one of two prosecutors in the case.

Asked if it was unlikely the 38-year-old Mercado will ever be released from prison, Hanrahan replied, "I think that's safe to say."

Mercado showed no reaction as the verdict was read.

The other prosecutor, Deputy District Attorney Hoon Chun, said Mercado is the last of a violent group of 15 to 25 Asian Boyz members to be tried for terrorizing parts of Los Angeles County, including the San Fernando and San Gabriel valleys. He said many victims of the brazen shootings had no connections to gangs.

Mercado is the younger brother of Marvin Mercado, who was sentenced in March 2011 to eight consecutive terms of life in prison without the possibility of parole. The older sibling was convicted of eight murders.

Marvin Mercado, who was known by the alias "Shy Boy," and his brother, dubbed "Boo Boo" by fellow gang members, were living in the Philippines as fugitives

Advertisement

when they were arrested in 2007 and brought back to Los Angeles to stand trial.
"Some say justice delayed is justice denied," Chun, who prosecuted both Mercado brothers, said after today's verdict. "I don't happen to believe that. We got some justice today."

Chun said that what made the crime spree especially egregious and motivated law enforcement to travel 7,000 miles overseas to apprehend the Mercados is that one witness was killed and the father of another was shot at the front door of his home.

Pierre Mercado's lawyer, Albert DeBlanc Jr., said he was disappointed with the verdicts.

"It's unfortunate," he said. "I hate to see my client's life reach this point."

Pierre Mercado was convicted of first-degree murder in the slayings of Cheng Peng, Paul Vu and Ben Liao, who were mistaken for members of a Taiwanese- based gang. They were followed by three carloads of Asian Boyz gang members as they left a Peck Road cafe, got on the westbound San Bernardino (10) Freeway and then attacked near the Temple City Boulevard offramp in El Monte on Aug. 1, 1995.

He also was convicted of murder in the death of Tony Nguyen, who was killed with a shotgun prosecutors said was fired by one of the Mercado brothers' accomplices.

The Mercados were fugitives when seven one-time cohorts of the gang's Van Nuys clique -- Buntheon Roeung, Sothi Menh, David Evangelista, Roatha Buth, Son Thanh Bui, Ky Tony Ngo and Kimorn Nuth -- were tried, convicted and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole in June 1999.

http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/c ... 4-killings

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » October 2nd, 2012, 11:08 pm

hitonme wrote:Judas, you said they were initially charged with 17 murders. Does that include the Sylmar drag race murder, cu duong murder and the father murder? Also, Marvin was charged for the murders of Tony Gregory and Tony Nguyen. Did prosecutors have any evidence the Van Nuys seven were involved in those? Also, I read a recent article that said there was at least 15 to 25 total Van Nuys abz members convicted for Summer Madness including those 7 guys and the Mercado brothers. Did you get any sort of vibe that more van nuys cats got caught in that crap?
no they were SUSPECTED of 17 murders.

when they went to arrest them it was for 13 initially.

then when it went to trial it was 7 with 18 attempted against the original 7.

they were only able to convict on the murders were 'Kid' the snitch was involved. that's why his cousin 'Sonny' got the most charges.

'Kid' was originally San Jose AB. He didn't know much outside of his cousin's crew. That's why that crew took it the worst.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » October 2nd, 2012, 11:30 pm

btw the reason the mercados got extra cases than the original 7 was because everything they couldn't close they piled on the mercados while they were on the run.

the cops and the did a lot of shady things to close some of these high profile cases.

for example the dong dinh murder. from what i heard they framed those 2 abz og's.

from what i heard they originally arrested 2 juniors for that murder.

but those guy were in their late teens, no criminal record and they came from upper class families that lawyered them up.

the didn't like the chances in trial. so they let them go and picked the 2 og's.

both had just gotten released from doing time for shooting 4-5 LOMAS outside mark keppel high school, both were tatted up, had long criminal records.....

looked better for a jury conviction.

Toyoungyes
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Toyoungyes » October 3rd, 2012, 2:34 pm

Has WC ever got back the Van Nuys ABZ for all those shooting they done at them?

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » October 3rd, 2012, 8:46 pm

Toyoungyes wrote:Has WC ever got back the Van Nuys ABZ for all those shooting they done at them?
yeah they came back at van nuys ab. it was a back and forth thing.

the ones i know about for sure was when they came down to san fernando valley.

i heard wc shot up cafe latte and luc huyem cam a couple times. they were abs coffee shops in reseda and canoga park.

i was also at ab pool hall on roscoe de soto when wc came down. one time they just drove by, yelled wc and shot at the place. the other time, they shot at my junior high friend from abz in the parking lot, luckily they missed.

also heard of shootings/shootouts between ab and wc in koreatown and O.C. but don't know much about those.

they never killed a van nuys ab though, the only ab i heard wc dropped was kicker from l.a. abi and also ghost from mp abz. not sure of any others.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » October 3rd, 2012, 9:59 pm

hitonme wrote:Also, Marvin was charged for the murders of Tony Gregory and Tony Nguyen. Did prosecutors have any evidence the Van Nuys seven were involved in those?
the gregory murder was the white family who moved into a vietnamese family's house. the white guy had gotten a knife from the kitchen so they shot and killed him.

that case had no evidence. i think they charged everyone for it, trying to close that case. they got it to stick on the mercados.

tony nguyen murder was different. he wasn't even from anywhere.

that whole thing started because of a girl fight.

it was a flier party at golden valley auditorium in valley glen.

2 girls got into a fight, tony nguyen jumped in for his girl, the other girl's guy jumped in for her. then more guys jumped in. then ppl started claiming different gangs. then ppl went to go get guns. then someone threw a grenade and ppl started blasting.

what started as a girlfight, escalated to boyfriends fighting and ended with ABZ and RPB shooting at each other

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » August 8th, 2015, 4:08 pm

Van Nuys from 2000's:

that Thanh "Baby Turtle" Nguyen, Vietnamese, Reseda, ABS
Convicted of 1 Murder, 2 Attempted Murders (Chinatown Boys CTB, Wah Ching WC)

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2008/nguy031808.htm

Soperry "Baby Face" Chea, Cambodian, Van Nuys, ABZ
Convicted of 1 Murder (Oriental Boyz OBZ)

http://www.dailynews.com/20080327/teen- ... 05-slaying

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » August 8th, 2015, 4:11 pm

judastaugamma wrote:Van Nuys from 2000's:

that Thanh "Baby Turtle" Nguyen, Vietnamese, Reseda, ABS
Convicted of 1 Murder, 2 Attempted Murders (Chinatown Boys CTB, Wah Ching WC)

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2008/nguy031808.htm

Soperry "Baby Face" Chea, Cambodian, Van Nuys, ABZ
Convicted of 1 Murder (Oriental Boyz OBZ)

http://www.dailynews.com/20080327/teen- ... 05-slaying
"that" NOT "that" Thanh Nguyen.

Stupid phone auto correct.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » August 8th, 2015, 4:24 pm

There's several more Van Nuys ABZ lifers from 2000's but I can't find articles on them.

Ever since LAPD "TOOK DOWN" Van Nuys Asian Boys/z, they don't mention them to newspapers anymore, even those who got life sentences from big cases.

Some articles/cases I couldn't find.

Baby Scrappy, Cambodian, Van Nuys, ABZ
8 Attempted Murders (Crazy Pinoy Boys CPB, Akrho Pinoy AKP)

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/feb/12 ... me-party12

Razkal, Vietnamese, Panorama City, ABZ
1 Murder, 3 Attempted Murders (Blythe Street BST, Valerio Street VST)

http://www.lapdonline.org/van_nuys_news/news_view/35118

Cazper, Vietnamese, Reseda, ABZ
3 Attempted Murders (Four Seas 4S)

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Wisconsin
What city do you live in now?: Wisconsin

Unread post by niceman » October 4th, 2015, 9:57 pm

Good shit! For real, interesting stuff right here. Post up more if you found some!

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Wisconsin
What city do you live in now?: Wisconsin

Unread post by niceman » February 19th, 2019, 12:09 pm

judastaugamma wrote:The group was suspected of 17 murders, 39 attempted murders and 80 other crimes from 1995 to 1996. Then charged initially with over 40 crimes including extortion, arson, home invasion robbery, kidnapping and 13 murders. By trial, the prosecution went ahead with 7 murders, 18 attempted murders and 5 conspiracy to commit murder charges.

A list of some of the murder victims:

Armando Estrada and Miguel Limon, Valerio Street VST, on April 14, 1995.

Rogelio Ferman, Mara Salvatrucha MS, on July 23, 1995.

Chen Peng, Paul Vu and Ben Liao, Wah Ching WC, on August 1, 1995.

Cu Duong, Asian Boys ABS, on March 23, 1996.
Oscar Palis, Jefrox, on August 26, 1995. No convictions though.