Monster Kody Scott aka Sanyika Shakur from ETG

There is a rich history in our urban streets and many articles and documentaries are discussing these guys. Post your thoughts here about those O/Gs, Veteranos and other historical figures from the past.
spanyloc2005
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Monster Kody Scott aka Sanyika Shakur from ETG

Unread post by spanyloc2005 » August 24th, 2003, 3:54 pm

i was readin MOnster by Sanyika Shakur( Kody Scott) and he said that King and Crenshaw was the dividing line of the 60's and BPS, isn't that closer to 40's territory, were they aligned with the 60's in the early 80's like they are today?

pico
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Monster Kody Scott

Unread post by pico » August 24th, 2003, 8:03 pm

Monster - good read.

G bka C.rum
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by G bka C.rum » August 24th, 2003, 10:10 pm

Are the 83rd streets still beefin with 6-deuce brims because I remember in monster those were another main enemy for a while? And hell yeah Monster was a good ass book.

pico
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by pico » August 25th, 2003, 7:48 pm

Was there a 73 Gangster Crip set in the beginning? In the book, Scott said:

All trays - Four Trays, Five Trays, Seven Trays, and Eight Trays - are natural allies, as the Neighborhood blocks are.

On this site's list, there's Born to Jacc Crips, 73rd St and LDH. From another topic I learned that BTJC formed out of Main Street and was a newer hood, as was LDH.

pico
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by pico » August 27th, 2003, 8:48 pm

Bump

Cay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Cay » August 27th, 2003, 10:02 pm

AIGHT...i'M a try to answer as many questions as i remember... 83 street still beefin' with the brims, my potential girlfriend's brothas are brims... plus they be strikin' out they graffiti, seven trays didn't start up till the mid or late eighties i think.. i could be wrong.... and the 40s expanded they hood so what you said was on point

yayeeyayee

Unread post by yayeeyayee » September 8th, 2003, 8:07 pm

alot of info in the book wuz false, the way he made himself seem like a super crip is false

and i heard from a Lantana Blocc OG that monster used to get raped in jail

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » September 8th, 2003, 8:41 pm

i heard some storys too but don't wanted to post them cause its far from sure , i heard that he got severly beated by a 60 named big u in jail ...

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » September 9th, 2003, 9:12 am

I read his book, it was a good read. But there's 2 sides to every story. I'm sure the 60's would say different. From what I got on the street, and it ain't reliable at times, civilians from 83 neighborhood say Monster was a pretty notorious cat, as well as Lil Monster. Anyone got stories, like real stories cause they were locked up with him in Pelican?

jb7777
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jb7777 » September 16th, 2003, 1:43 pm

My fam live in 8 tre hood. They know Monster. Matter of fact Monster's brother Kerwin game my relative his weights. I heard from them that Monster got beatdown by Damien bka Football from etg.

BIG RUSTY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BIG RUSTY » September 16th, 2003, 6:56 pm

yayeeyayee wrote:alot of info in the book wuz false, the way he made himself seem like a super crip is false

Hey homie i would like to know how you know that some of what monsta said was false. You know him? what about OG' from the ETGC,? know any of them ? ,I thought you was from the bay area?.You seem to have a lot of facts on a lot of different things. I aint saying what you said was true of not (falsehoods)but its hard for me to believe that monsta got ran up in in the pen.I got homies that seem to have less heart than what monsta seems to have,go to prison and not get raped.Beat down i can understand ,(win some, loose some)But raped...thats crazy! PEACE 8)

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 17th, 2003, 9:38 am

Yea, big rusty. I think Scott may have exaggerated a bit in his book but it's still a good read. Of course, some cats gonna try and say some stuff to weaken the man's credibility. People hear this, people hear that but you never know unless you know.

jb7777
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jb7777 » September 17th, 2003, 1:23 pm

nigazz always hate like that. I believe that the book was way more true than false. I'm mean if he was making himself to out to be supercrip he wouldnt have put that part when he told the nigga who sweated him on the bus that he dont bang or when he was spooked out in the hospital or even when he didnt wanna fight that nigga in Juvy.

BIG RUSTY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BIG RUSTY » September 17th, 2003, 6:33 pm

jb7777 wrote:nigazz always hate like that. I believe that the book was way more true than false. I'm mean if he was making himself to out to be supercrip he wouldnt have put that part when he told the nigga who sweated him on the bus that he dont bang or when he was spooked out in the hospital or even when he didnt wanna fight that nigga in Juvy.
Exactly!, Thats what i say.The book might not be 100% true but how can a person know unless they really know the man,Good point about the bus incident. 8)

Ridah
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Ridah » September 18th, 2003, 8:33 am

big rusty wrote:
jb7777 wrote:nigazz always hate like that. I believe that the book was way more true than false. I'm mean if he was making himself to out to be supercrip he wouldnt have put that part when he told the nigga who sweated him on the bus that he dont bang or when he was spooked out in the hospital or even when he didnt wanna fight that nigga in Juvy.
Exactly!, Thats what i say.The book might not be 100% true but how can a person know unless they really know the man,Good point about the bus incident. 8)
If Kody didnt do it someone did...The book wasnt even as graphic as it could have been...Im sure we all have seen, heard, or read about acts of violence that were far worse....I love that book thats all I know..I have read it 5 times.....its just a damn good book...

Young Nile
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOL

Unread post by Young Nile » September 18th, 2003, 4:52 pm

Anyone who writes a book like that on the streets is gonna subjected to criticism. Even us the people on this site. Keepin it real some of the Sh** people talk about here or info given up is considered snitching. I wont even post certian sh**. I'm real nigga from these streets and I aint even punched 1/4 of the info I got about the streets on this site. Every body on the streets no police serf this MF daily!

But Gangs in LA is far beyound a fad its more like a way of life here. Almost every thing is Identified by gangs here. Example's: Every time its a party or something and you ask where it is people identify the streets with gang territory they'll say "over in so & so hood"
or when some one new comes around niggaz will be like "Oh thats the homie he from ???" its just a way of living here so to speak on the streets is cool is natuaral for us here in LA thats why I come to this site but to what degree do you give out information here for everybody to see.

Thats the big beef niggaz got with Monster.
It's more than the fact that he spoke on the streetz he got pretty detailed with alot of stuff. Started mentioning niggaz names and all that.

He new he was gonna catch hell for the sh** he wrote especially about how the cliques in the pen is run on the DL niggaz was really mad about that. But he in some was was like the sacrficial lamb of the streets. He just put it out there. I would say most of the info if not all was acurate to a certian point maybe being a little bias to his hood. But other than that most of the stuff in that book was correct.

civil_thor
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by civil_thor » September 19th, 2003, 12:09 am

The book ends with Sanyika Shakur (Monster Kody) getting into the muslim/black revolutionary thing and working on raising a family. What, if any, role does he play now with the ETG's? I'm sure his loyalties remain and he still has mad respect in his hood, but beyond that? Does anybody know if he's been able to shake the gangsta thing or is he still involved in Eight Tray?

Ice
What city do you live in now?: SF

Unread post by Ice » September 20th, 2003, 11:45 pm

yayeeyayee wrote:alot of info in the book wuz false, the way he made himself seem like a super crip is false

anybody that writes a book in jail wud exaggarate a lil bit but as long as the main parts of it is true everythings good, i read that book and i think most of it was true or close to bein true even tho im not an expert....

sharia

Unread post by sharia » September 30th, 2003, 10:59 am

Does anyone know how Monster Kody Scott, aka Sanyika Shakur is doing now? Where he is, what he is doing?!

BIG RUSTY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BIG RUSTY » September 30th, 2003, 6:45 pm

sharia wrote:Does anyone know how Monster Kody Scott, aka Sanyika Shakur is doing now? Where he is, what he is doing?!
Last i heard he was doing some teaching in a Los angeles school for youth in trouble or something to that effect.He and alonso were on BET a while back,so alonso would know more on monsta.He also was in this video called war stories about 3 years ago. 8)

jb7777
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jb7777 » February 9th, 2004, 4:41 pm

Monsta and his brothers grew up in my uncles hood. Matter of fact they grew up on 69th and Denker a block away. The hood is pretty quiet but the Ogs are still around except for the niggas that started the shit on Florence and Normandie in 92 they got mad time for other incidents.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » February 10th, 2004, 11:14 am

All right good to hear from a 60's point of view. Thanks for the post kevMac.

I know some of the wannabe's out here read and come up with fantasies of their supercrip and superblood idols, but the reality of things don't nobody wanna swallow. All the OG's in the pen aren't doing too well, regardless of history. These cats are locked away for life and have no chance at turning their lives around. A lot of OG's and VETERANOS are dealing with drug abuse, mental health issues, baby momma drama...u name it.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » February 10th, 2004, 12:54 pm

I don't know nothin on this personally, but did anyone ever read a book called Do or Die? Some lady reported went and interviewed bloods and crips from all kinds of hoods in la back in the late 80's and early 90's, and everywhere she went she would ask who was the most notorious banger and shi- like that. bloods and crips from all these hoods kepot tellin her that Monster Kody was the baddest mf'er in la, so she went to interview him. She's the one that got him to write his story, and helped him get teh book out. It would never have even been writtin if his name hadn't been pumpin fear in all kinda fools all over the place already, so I'm sure that whether the book was 100% true or not, he was at least somewhere along those lines.

TMAN
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TMAN » February 10th, 2004, 2:00 pm

Yeah, I read them both, and another one about East LA. They were all good reads.

K1LLJOY
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by K1LLJOY » February 10th, 2004, 2:43 pm

i realy think they should make a movie about this book

kevmac
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kevmac » February 10th, 2004, 2:48 pm

A Big Rusty,

The hardest guy you will ever meet can be gay. And the softest guy you ever meet may not have gay tendeies or attract the same sex.
. he didn't do time in Pelican Bay or the Shoe with a woman!

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » February 10th, 2004, 2:49 pm

Panik,
Yeah but you gotta take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure his name was ringing back in his day. But what happens to old gangsters? There ain't no gangster hall of fame, it's all just memories to the one's that can remember. The youngsters coming up in the game will try to outdo their predecessors, even disrespect them, or break off from the originals and start new sets/hoods. I read Monster's book, but I also realized it was his POV, you know the 60's got a different version. But you can't dispute facts, like medical records, body counts, funerals. And the only man who can speak up for Monster Kody is Monster Kody himself. Peace dog...

T~

Unread post by T~ » February 10th, 2004, 2:52 pm

True

Ice
What city do you live in now?: SF

Unread post by Ice » February 10th, 2004, 2:56 pm

K1LLJOY wrote:i realy think they should make a movie about this book
no doubt, im tired of these matrix and lord of the rings movies...

T~

Unread post by T~ » February 10th, 2004, 2:57 pm

Ice wrote:
K1LLJOY wrote:i realy think they should make a movie about this book
no doubt, im tired of these matrix and lord of the rings movies...
lol...

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » February 10th, 2004, 3:00 pm

True. Like I said, I don't know what's true or not. Obviously names and places can't be true or else he would've caught 20 cases from the book. I'm just sayin a lotta people were talking like he wasn't what he said he was, and maybe cuz he stopped being really active 15 years ago and most of the people that would know for sure are dead or locked up. It's just easy to talk about a guy who might be washed up right now becasue they didn't have to deal with him back in the day. You know, he had to somethin to get his name up like that, especially back then when things were really poppin off, and especiall to have enemies back in the day talkin him up. I just figure if you didn't know him, or run in the same area at the same time, then anything bad you gotta say is just heresay, and I would just consider it someone tryin to put dirt on his name cuz there's nobody around to dipute it. I'd like to hear from someone of his generation that was around then, cuz evryone else is just on some he say she say.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » February 10th, 2004, 5:52 pm

Yeah, I heard that. I was just saying sheer scientific evidence can't be changed word of mouth through the grapevine that's all...LOL. But his book sure did sell, I mean every walk of life has read or knows of that autobiography.

Return to “Past Figures, The Infamous & Legends of the Game”