Gangs in Michael Jackson's beat it video

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
ninoslim

Gangs in Michael Jackson's beat it video

Unread post by ninoslim » February 12th, 2006, 3:56 am

I remember a long long time ago, like in the late 80's I read this Michael Jackson picture book and in the book it talked about the filming of the Beat it video. It stated, he had the chief of Police close down a rough downtown LA pool hall/bar and for authenticity, Michael Jackson had actual gang members in the video. The article went on to include some of the gangs the members were from. The gangs mentioned in the article were, White Fence, East Coast Crips, Hoover Crips and some others which I cannot recall, and they did not specify exactly what set but just mentioned those names. I found this to be interesting but I can no longer find that book or article. I know Michael Jackson is not exactly gangsta per se even though he grew up in Murder capital of Gary, IN, but I know he is obsessive compulsive when it comes to Music videos and very picky about it's authenticity of it, so I am not surprised if he in fact did have real gang members in them. I know he once said on Oprah that he got many of his dance moves from watching urban kids and thought that they were the most creative.

Can anyone confirm what gangs were actually in the beat it video?