Vargas vs Mosely

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
boston312
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Vargas vs Mosely

Unread post by boston312 » February 22nd, 2006, 11:41 pm

Next Saturday (February 25) Las Vegas will play host to a showdown of Southern California's 2 best fighters: Fernando Vargas of Oxnard and Shane Mosely of Pomona. With all the recent Hispanic/Black riots in the So Cal's jails and schools, one can assume that many emotions might be running high during this fight.

Both fighters are considered a bit washed up and past their glory days. Fernando Vargas has never been the same since his loss against Tito Trinidad (a fight in which he was knocked down 5 times). He was also knocked out in a fight with Oscar De La Hoya shortly after the Trinidad fight.
Vargas was suspended after the De La Hoya fight for illegal use of steroids and has been hampered by back problems for the past 2 years.

Mosely on the other hand skyrocketed up the Pound for Pound charts in 2000 beating quality opposition and beating Oscar De La Hoya in their first meeting making him the best pound for pound. Mosely's career was sidetracked after he lost 2 fights to Vernon Forrest (a fighter who beat him in amateurs) and then lost 2 fights to a slick southpaw by the name of Winky Wright.
Shane Mosely also won a controversial decesion in his second fight with Oscar De La Hoya (a fight that De La Hoya seemed to dominate for the first 9 rounds) between his 4 losses.

Vargas and Mosely have 2 opponenets whom they both fought. Vargas lost to De La Hoya while Mosely beat him. However, Vargas beat Winky Wright who Mosely lost to twice.

Even though Mosely is the smaller man, I think that he is faster and sharper with his punches than Vargas. Vargas will depend on his Mexican machismo and the crowd to back him in the fight and will try to use his superior size to rough Mosely up.

With all the black/hispanic tensions in the southland lately it should be an interesting fight as two southland fighters duke it out under the stars Staurday night.

Any bets?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 23rd, 2006, 1:17 am

Interesting, right? To be a spectator munching on some snacks, probably sippin on a few cold ones, plus you get to look at two other races brutalize each other and bet on it. Good times.

It's boxing. You don't have to bring in any racial BS into it. You sound like some sort of sick ass scientist.

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » February 23rd, 2006, 9:43 am

LOL

This fool is like a broken record. And Shane should win, since Vargas has a weak chin.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » February 23rd, 2006, 12:20 pm

to Boston312:

Vargas was indeed declared the winner against Wright but many who saw that fight thought Wright did more than enough to win. Give Vargas credit,
as he was a 21 yr old in that fight. Vargas never wanted anything to do with The Winkster after that.

I like Mosley in this one. Five years ago it would've been a fight for the ages but now both cats are seemingly past their best. I think Vargas would've knocked Shane out had they met back then cause of his hard jab and overhand right(Shane is their to be hit all day cause he drops his left). It's different now. El Feroz is damaged goods. Mosley's foot/hand speed and superior stamina will be the difference. Mosley by late rounds
stoppage.

Far as it being a potentially racially charged atmosphere, I dont really see that. Mosley cut his teeth in the LA gyms sparring with tough Mexicans and
has a huge following with them. Vargas is beloved by everyone in the sport.

Boston312, you must be a whiteboy talking about how this could become
a riotous affair. You dont see any of us Black/Brown brothers talking that
nonsense and we're supposedly the ones with the beef...

boston312
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by boston312 » February 23rd, 2006, 5:33 pm

Im not trying to instigate nor am I trying to incite racial riots but lets admit it, the sweet science has devoloped into national and racial pride event. I was in Puerto Rico when Bernard Hopkins fought Tito Trinidad. I cheered for Hopkins (an African-American) in front of about 100 Ricans. Hopkins claimed that the fight was dedicated to all Americans against desrespecftful Puerto Ricans (who would boo the American National Anthem before Trinidad fights) and to the 9/11 attack a month before. Weeks before the fight, Hopkins threw the PR flag to the ground which angered many Puerto Ricans. Needless to say, cheering for Hopkins led to a bunch of beer bottles thrown our way (a handful of other American) from an angry mob of Puerto Ricans.

In Brazil, I would attend Mix Martial Art fights (Ju-Jitsu/Boxing, Thai) and rest assured some riot was gonna break out in the arena or the streets. It was always his man vs their man.

Maybee I have adapted a bit of the sacred Latin Machismo outlook towards these fights myself bit there can be no doubt that one two fighters step into the ring they bring their racial and national pride with them. Of course they can always be friends before and after the fight , but in the ring the stakes couldnt be higher.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » February 23rd, 2006, 5:48 pm

boston312 wrote:Im not trying to instigate nor am I trying to incite racial riots but lets admit it, the sweet science has devoloped into national and racial pride event. I was in Puerto Rico when Bernard Hopkins fought Tito Trinidad. I cheered for Hopkins (an African-American) in front of about 100 Ricans. Hopkins claimed that the fight was dedicated to all Americans against desrespecftful Puerto Ricans (who would boo the American National Anthem before Trinidad fights) and to the 9/11 attack a month before. Weeks before the fight, Hopkins threw the PR flag to the ground which angered many Puerto Ricans. Needless to say, cheering for Hopkins led to a bunch of beer bottles thrown our way (a handful of other American) from an angry mob of Puerto Ricans.

In Brazil, I would attend Mix Martial Art fights (Ju-Jitsu/Boxing, Thai) and rest assured some riot was gonna break out in the arena or the streets. It was always his man vs their man.

Maybee I have adapted a bit of the sacred Latin Machismo outlook towards these fights myself bit there can be no doubt that one two fighters step into the ring they bring their racial and national pride with them. Of course they can always be friends before and after the fight , but in the ring the stakes couldnt be higher.
WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE FIGHT?

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » February 23rd, 2006, 7:09 pm

In boxing, my friend, nationalistic pride is not only tolerated it's appreciated. Sometimes it gets out of hand(anyone remember Riddick Bowe v Andrew Golota in The Garden), most of the times it doesnt.
Whatever though, I dont see Vegas being extra rowdy for this fight.
If it does explode... Well, then we'll just have to deal with the aftermath,
won't we...

boston312
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by boston312 » February 23rd, 2006, 10:55 pm

100 wrote:
boston312 wrote:Im not trying to instigate nor am I trying to incite racial riots but lets admit it, the sweet science has devoloped into national and racial pride event. I was in Puerto Rico when Bernard Hopkins fought Tito Trinidad. I cheered for Hopkins (an African-American) in front of about 100 Ricans. Hopkins claimed that the fight was dedicated to all Americans against desrespecftful Puerto Ricans (who would boo the American National Anthem before Trinidad fights) and to the 9/11 attack a month before. Weeks before the fight, Hopkins threw the PR flag to the ground which angered many Puerto Ricans. Needless to say, cheering for Hopkins led to a bunch of beer bottles thrown our way (a handful of other American) from an angry mob of Puerto Ricans.

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE FIGHT?

If your referring to the Trinidad vs Hopkins fight, Lets just say we were lucky to come out of that alive. Fortunately, security and the police showed up pretty promptly.

Most Americans can't appreciate, respect or reject this type of emotional behavior for fights, since (for the most part) boxing matches dont really get out of hand in this country. However, the most violent and emotional environment in the fight scene that I experienced was Brazil. A huge portion of young Brazilian males are on some type of steroid medication and trains in a variety of MMA arts (Ju-Jitsu, Boxing, Thai, Karate, etc). King of the Cage fights (such as the UFC and Pride) are the 2nd most popular sport after Soccer. When the fighter steps into the Cage for a fight he represents his family, fighting team, city, etc. Its very common to see major brawls break out in the crowds while a fight is in process. Quick tempered fighters from Steroids, Machismo and Pride are just part of the environment that usually breaks out into a melee.

Mexican:.805
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mexican:.805 » February 24th, 2006, 4:54 pm

i got vargas in this fight. there both sadly, out of there prime. and vargas is a lot stronger, and bigger. people underestimate his win over castiello, who was a game oponent and solid win. i see vargas pubmling mosley, and taking the decision

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 25th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Fuck Hopkins.If anything I would throw the US flag to the ground and join the Puerto Rican people in booing the american national anthem.We were never enslaved under the Puerto Rican flag,but the same cant be said for ''ol glory''.

hamo_uce
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by hamo_uce » February 25th, 2006, 8:36 pm

"and the winner by KO in the 1ST round , POMONAs favorite son ,
SHANE " OL GLORY" MOSLEYYYYYYYYYYY..........................................

STR8 UP PEEPz i got my money on " OL GLORY" , he's 2 expirened 4 that "THUG" FERNANDO VARGAS , who also got ,
his ass WHUPPeD by " GOLDENBOY" OSCAR DE LA HOYA 2yrs ago.
........ GO get that FOOL !!!! " OL GLORY" GO GO GO..............

boston312
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by boston312 » February 26th, 2006, 12:03 am

Mosely won on a TKO in a very close fight. The fight was ended after Vargas' eye was closed shut and had a huge knot along the left side of his face. Vargas fought with this large knot for 4 rounds. The man has heart.
Mosely also had a lot of heart at age 34 banging with the bigger man.

One judge had Vargas ahead 67-66 and the two other judges had Mosely ahead 67-66. The fight was dead even and if it went to the scorecards either fighter could have justified a victory.

A rematch is very likely.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » February 27th, 2006, 2:09 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:
fu-- Hopkins.If anything I would throw the US flag to the ground and join the Puerto Rican people in booing the american national anthem.We were never enslaved under the Puerto Rican flag,but the same cant be said for ''ol glory''.

so what but if you were a native puerto rican and black your ancestors were also so gone somewhre with that shit man fa real.

america has its problems in the past but imma tell you the truth i rather be an american negro than a negro in puerto rico and thats for damn sure.
look at how most black puerto ricans live there hell brutha take a look around you in all latin american countries many afro-latin americans look at african americans as an example.

BUT IN THE FLIP SIDE I WOULD WEAR AN AMERICAN FLAG BUT THE COLORS WOULD BE INVERTED TO RBG(RED BLACK GREEN) AND I'D WAVE IT AROUND AND SEE WHAT KINDA RESPONSE I GET I ONLY SEEN A FEW AMERICAN(BLACK) BOXERS THAT WORE RBG COLORS IN THE SENSE.

but back to the topic man for you to simply join the puerto ricans would simply be slapping your self in the face cause they enslaved blacks also but for some reason they(afro-boricuas) dont have a problem with it when it comes to nationalista pride so why should we when fighting someone of another national country?

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » February 27th, 2006, 2:13 pm

also hopkins has a point when you think about it!
americans are too tolerant of being disrespected and then tey allow these people to migrate here and they hate this country all i would have to say if you hate it why are you here and if you hate america why be held up as a commonwealth or debate at becoming statehood?

if it were not for the unted states who knows what pr would look like probably the dominican republic or under some crazy as tyrant

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 27th, 2006, 2:14 pm

The Indian puerto ricans didn't enslave blacks. The spanish did that shit.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » February 27th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Hopkins didnt throw the PR flag(que bonita bandera!) down to disrespect
the Boricuas, he did it because Tito kept sticking it in his face. It was pyschological warfare and anyone who knows 'Nard realizes he is a master of this craft. He also, at the last press conference before he fought
Tito, gave tito a bag of rice and a can of beans, on the "last meal" tip. It's
the Executioner thing one could say.

I never understood how people get so bitchy about things. Alot of slights, perceived disrespects, funky overtures, are tools many employ in pyschological warfare. Mofos is too sensitive 'bout shit and always end up on the shit end as a result..

RBG(red, black, green all day e'rrrday!!) but I rock the RWB(Ole Glory)
too(not sure with the same fervor) cause I'm American. My folks been up
in this piece since the 1700's(St Augustine, FL ) which makes me as American as anyone. So I guess there's a dual identity thing here but whatever.

Good fight between Shane and Nando. Nando kinda got his meat lumped by a much smaller fighter which really aint supposed to happen. He cant
keep his foot on the gas like he used to and his defense is too porous to compete at the elite level anymore. A few more fights(just to get some more $$$) against a name fighter but not dangerous one would be wise
or even retirement. Wouldnt mind seeing Shane against that kid Margarito
but I'd be real worried for Shane in that fight. Margarito's a monster of a welter..

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 27th, 2006, 2:54 pm

100 wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:
fu-- Hopkins.If anything I would throw the US flag to the ground and join the Puerto Rican people in booing the american national anthem.We were never enslaved under the Puerto Rican flag,but the same cant be said for ''ol glory''.

so what but if you were a native puerto rican and black your ancestors were also so gone somewhre with that shit man fa real.

america has its problems in the past but imma tell you the truth i rather be an american negro than a negro in puerto rico and thats for damn sure.
look at how most black puerto ricans live there hell brutha take a look around you in all latin american countries many afro-latin americans look at african americans as an example.

BUT IN THE FLIP SIDE I WOULD WEAR AN AMERICAN FLAG BUT THE COLORS WOULD BE INVERTED TO RBG(RED BLACK GREEN) AND I'D WAVE IT AROUND AND SEE WHAT KINDA RESPONSE I GET I ONLY SEEN A FEW AMERICAN(BLACK) BOXERS THAT WORE RBG COLORS IN THE SENSE.

but back to the topic man for you to simply join the puerto ricans would simply be slapping your self in the face cause they enslaved blacks also but for some reason they(afro-boricuas) dont have a problem with it when it comes to nationalista pride so why should we when fighting someone of another national country?
The white spanish enslaved blacks not the tainos.Puerto ricans are a mix of black,Taino and spanish.

The Puerto Rican people did not enslave africans,they are oppressed themselves.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 27th, 2006, 2:56 pm

The white spanish enslaved blacks not the tainos.Puerto ricans are a mix of black,Taino and spanish.
Just like black americans are a mix of african,white and native american blood.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » February 27th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Didnt some of the Taino's survive the onslaught by the Spaniards?? I thought that guy Enrique(Taino warrior/hero/leader) engaged in a war
of attrition against the invaders and fought them to a standstill??

Some Puerto Rican had to retain some Taino lineage as the Taino were extremely short, with the jet black hair and all that. Not sure how many of
you are familiar with Boricuas but many of them fit this mold and some of the women are quite Indian looking. In Puerto Rico, there's a town called
Luisa that is almost entirely black. Generally speaking, the Boricuas from the Island are generally "browner" than their Stateside counterparts..

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 27th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Of course some Tainos survived but truth is most Boricuas have more black and white in them than Taino due to teh Spanish almost exterminating the taino pop. and bringing in a huge amount of black slaves to fill the labor void.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » February 27th, 2006, 4:07 pm

True, no dispute there, just wanting to bring about more clarity regarding
this matter, nah mean..

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » February 28th, 2006, 1:10 am

most of this has nothing to do with the Vargas Mosely fight. I saw the fight. I had it scored 5 rounds to 4 rounds for Vargas before the stopped the fight in the 10th round. Vargas was also up on one or two of the judges card. I was disappointed that his eye shut. Mosely never hit him hard with anything and dont know what it swelled in the first place, but after the initial swelling in the second round, Mosely did the smart thing and kept jabbing the eye and won. Think of a rematch?

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » February 28th, 2006, 5:34 am

In the opinion of most(me included), Mosley landed more crisp, effective punches than Vargas. Hard to fathom Mosley landing heavier leather with the size and strength differential. Vargas worked/landed real good in the trenches but didnt stay in the pocket enough and should've done to Mosley what Trinidad did to Mayorga.....impose his will. It wasnt to be though as Mosley outsped him and in the majority of spots, outworked him. Also, I think the uber lump El Feroz suffered was the result of an inadvertant elbow in the 1st rd. If nothing else, he should've at least protected his domepiece and his corner def didnt manage that joint properly 'tween rounds. However it fits, both fighters could've fought smarter. Shane seemed to fight more of his fight as far as strategy goes
and his body work told on Nando as the fight wore on.. Rematch? Does Nando really want it? Needing to speak with his fam? What's that, man?

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 2nd, 2006, 5:14 am

i am going to have to watch it again to see that elbow, but I heard Vargas in the interview say he thinks he was head butted. But I though that Vargas was fighting enough to win. Shane was landing more crisp punches in the first three rounds, but started retreating in rounds 4, 5, and 6. Even when Vargas eye was shut, he was the agressor in rounds 7 and 8. I see a rematch coming.

hamo_uce
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by hamo_uce » March 3rd, 2006, 3:38 am

that wud be a great match up for 2006 !........... SHANE "OL GLORY" MOSLEY vs ANTONIO MARGARITO for his WBO WORLD PRO WELTERWEIGHT TITLE in LOS ANGELES .................................

4sho MARGARITO is 1 tuff HOMBRE !!!!........................