Ice Cube

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Ice Cube

Unread post by creativemind » April 2nd, 2007, 8:13 am

I was sitting here watching Ice Cube on Cold Pizza, promoting bhis new movie 'Are We Done Yet?'. I was interested to hear everyone's take on Cube and that fact that he seems totally different than he was a few years ago.

Here's a guy who, as much as anybody, was responsible for the emergence of West Coast rap, the gangter persona that comes along with it, and exporting that lifestyle across the country. And now that he's made his millions making it cool for many misguided kids to be "gangstas", he retires to the luxury of Hollywood, making the most cornball movies anybody could write for a Black man.

I'm happy for his success, but the basis of that success was being "real". That don't count in movies or what?

Past
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Ice Cube

Unread post by Past » April 2nd, 2007, 11:16 am

creativemind wrote:I was sitting here watching Ice Cube on Cold Pizza, promoting bhis new movie 'Are We Done Yet?'. I was interested to hear everyone's take on Cube and that fact that he seems totally different than he was a few years ago.

Here's a guy who, as much as anybody, was responsible for the emergence of West Coast rap, the gangter persona that comes along with it, and exporting that lifestyle across the country. And now that he's made his millions making it cool for many misguided kids to be "gangstas", he retires to the luxury of Hollywood, making the most cornball movies anybody could write for a Black man.

I'm happy for his success, but the basis of that success was being "real". That don't count in movies or what?
He has kids now and he wanted to make movies that they could watch as well.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » April 2nd, 2007, 11:20 am

Past wrote:
creativemind wrote:I was sitting here watching Ice Cube on Cold Pizza, promoting bhis new movie 'Are We Done Yet?'. I was interested to hear everyone's take on Cube and that fact that he seems totally different than he was a few years ago.

I can respect that, but what about the kids he spent years spitting a different message to? Weren't they worthy of some positivity?

Odog
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Odog » April 2nd, 2007, 11:22 am

What he makin of those movies?I heard 10 million a movie or something.

Past
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Past » April 2nd, 2007, 11:24 am

Odog wrote:What he makin of those movies?I heard 10 million a movie or something.
Cause he directs them

and its not like Cube aint gonna make anymore of them Friday type movies his making a movie called First Sunday about to criminals trying to steal from their church.

Odog
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Odog » April 2nd, 2007, 11:33 am

Past wrote:
Odog wrote:What he makin of those movies?I heard 10 million a movie or something.
Cause he directs them

and its not like Cube aint gonna make anymore of them Friday type movies his making a movie called First Sunday about to criminals trying to steal from their church.
I didn't meant it negative,he got skills.Only Barbershop was better then Barbershop 2.But that's my opinion.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » April 2nd, 2007, 11:47 am

Past wrote:
Cause he directs them

He's making serious money, but he's not directing all of them. A dude named Steve Carr directed this latest one. Brian Levant directed the last, and he actually didn't even direct either Barbershop movie. (Tim Story directed the first and Kevin Rodney Sullivan the secone)

He's just got some crossover appeal now, and is making the kind of non-threatening movies that folks go to see.

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » April 2nd, 2007, 12:20 pm

i never looked at ice cube as a street dude a day in my life...yeah hes played "gangsta roles",but so has denzel washington...at the end of the script i always looked at cube as a regular brother...its good to see he's doing his thing on the acting tip though

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » April 2nd, 2007, 12:37 pm

creativemind wrote:
Past wrote:

I can respect that, but what about the kids he spent years spitting a different message to? Weren't they worthy of some positivity?
Yeah, it was called "Higher Learning" and "Friday" actually had a good message in the end, though he wasn't the driving force in that movie. :)

He's doing the movies he's doing now simply because he's... well old. I never really thought Cube was that great of an actor to begin with but he's taking roles that seem to be geared more towards family values and the like. The type of movie that can sell the T.V. rights and you can watch on Sunday afternoon. Which in turn equates to more money for him I guess. That and I really believe there aren't any real offers for him to lead a movie that can do some big numbers. I don't see him being the type of actor to make a blockbuster movie on his own.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » April 2nd, 2007, 12:38 pm

Qdawg wrote:i never looked at ice cube as a street dude a day in my life...yeah hes played "gangsta roles",but so has denzel washington...at the end of the script i always looked at cube as a regular brother...its good to see he's doing his thing on the acting tip though
I never looked at him in that way either. But you would always hear people saying, "Cube got some of the hardest lyrics...". My point is, those "hard lyrics" shaped the way alot of people felt and thought they should act. That's evident in the fact that rap moved from the positivity of the late 80's - early 90's (PE, KRS 1, etc...) to what it's become.

At that time, he was the "street reporter" and now that he's made his money, he can go from that to being the Bill Cosby, family man dude, of the millineum.

northsidehtown
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by northsidehtown » April 2nd, 2007, 1:16 pm

i feel you creative , even pass the gangster lyrics it kinda seemed like he was really about the struggle so to speak , cause back then the gangster lyrics were to a certain extent reveloutionary. But thats the way it seems to be in america how many black men actually stay true . And we see a brother switch and take notice of it we have to be verry careful cause we will get viewed as a hater, you know the statement "he getting that paper though", but its like when will we be willing to stand on some priniciple and not exclusivly on money. hey, maybe we should of only viewed him as a entertainer from jump , but at any rate i think i get your vibe.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » April 2nd, 2007, 1:21 pm

northsidehtown wrote:i feel you creative , even pass the gangster lyrics it kinda seemed like he was really about the struggle so to speak , cause back then the gangster lyrics were to a certain extent reveloutionary. But thats the way it seems to be in america how many black men actually stay true . And we see a brother switch and take notice of it we have to be verry careful cause we will get viewed as a hater, you know the statement "he getting that paper though", but its like when will we be willing to stand on some priniciple and not exclusivly on money. hey, maybe we should of only viewed him as a entertainer from jump , but at any rate i think i get your vibe.
The thing is, he was on some revolutionary "Fuck the Police" shit when he wasn't making no money. That's what got him paid. And now that he's gettin' it, he ain't hollerin' that kinda stuff no more, even though, we as a people are in a far worse state than we were even 15 years ago. So was he REALLY about what he was spittin', or was that just his hustle?

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » April 2nd, 2007, 2:57 pm

creativemind wrote:
northsidehtown wrote:i feel you creative , even pass the gangster lyrics it kinda seemed like he was really about the struggle so to speak , cause back then the gangster lyrics were to a certain extent reveloutionary. But thats the way it seems to be in america how many black men actually stay true . And we see a brother switch and take notice of it we have to be verry careful cause we will get viewed as a hater, you know the statement "he getting that paper though", but its like when will we be willing to stand on some priniciple and not exclusivly on money. hey, maybe we should of only viewed him as a entertainer from jump , but at any rate i think i get your vibe.
The thing is, he was on some revolutionary "fu-- the Police" shit when he wasn't making no money. That's what got him paid. And now that he's gettin' it, he ain't hollerin' that kinda stuff no more, even though, we as a people are in a far worse state than we were even 15 years ago. So was he REALLY about what he was spittin', or was that just his hustle?
Hustle. How many rappers out there have actually practiced what they preached? That have actually kept with their message and tried to educate? Off the top of my head, some of those old skool cats you mentioned. PE, KRS-ONE, those type of people. Ice-T to an extent but he still knows that acting pays the bills so it's hard to imagine how much of what he has said is entertainment and how much is education.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 2nd, 2007, 3:18 pm

^ I'm about to see KRS-ONE the Teacha tommorrow!

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » April 2nd, 2007, 7:06 pm

tCube is doin other shit to continue educatin people. He did the black and white show, on his new cd check songs like laugh now cry later, why we thugs, the nigga trapp, a history of violence and so on, if you want that political commentary on the positionand lives of blacks in the hoods across America. Don't label that man a sell out if you don't know about all the things he doin. I think he in works right now doin something geared to the black community also. I spoke with Cube at the after party of the Are We There Yet flick...told him how I been bumpin his shit forever, and he said I hope this dont make you think I changed that you not gonna peep none of my shit anymore. I told him nah, and I know he got kids and gotta appeal to another demographic not just young niggas in the hoods. So Cube def. aware of that movie, he kinda seemed embarassed about the shit when I brought up his old shit. But Cube still addressin the issues and doin thangs, he just isn't as vitriolic and in yo face as he was in his early days.

We should be addressin these punk ass new booty rappers who not carryin on the torch.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » April 3rd, 2007, 12:06 am

perongregory wrote:tCube is doin other shit to continue educatin people. He did the black and white show, on his new cd check songs like laugh now cry later, why we thugs, the nigga trapp, a history of violence and so on, if you want that political commentary on the positionand lives of blacks in the hoods across America. Don't label that man a sell out if you don't know about all the things he doin. I think he in works right now doin something geared to the black community also. I spoke with Cube at the after party of the Are We There Yet flick...told him how I been bumpin his shit forever, and he said I hope this dont make you think I changed that you not gonna peep none of my shit anymore. I told him nah, and I know he got kids and gotta appeal to another demographic not just young niggas in the hoods. So Cube def. aware of that movie, he kinda seemed embarassed about the shit when I brought up his old shit. But Cube still addressin the issues and doin thangs, he just isn't as vitriolic and in yo face as he was in his early days.

We should be addressin these punk ass new booty rappers who not carryin on the torch.

I feel better knowing that he's just going about things in a different way. We all grow and mature, learn to do things differently than we would earlier. That's the only question I was asking. And because he was such a strong voice and had the power to influence, its an obligation to use that platform. If he chooses through some other means, then more power too him. Open an eductational center, support a non-profit, but do something.

You're right through, Peron, its dudes makin' money in the enterainment game and not doing NOTHING with any redeeming value.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » April 4th, 2007, 9:12 am

creativemind wrote:
He's making serious money, but he's not directing all of them. A dude named Steve Carr directed this latest one. Brian Levant directed the last, and he actually didn't even direct either Barbershop movie. (Tim Story directed the first and Kevin Rodney Sullivan the secone)

He's just got some crossover appeal now, and is making the kind of non-threatening movies that folks go to see.
Most of his money is coming from producing the film and helping in writing the scripts, plus hes acting and getting some co-director credits.
I think the fact that he is evolved to where he is now is coo. Hes not stuck in one place, one mindset. Wont be 40 rapping about the ish he was doing at 20 but acting like its still craccin in present day.

russian_gangsta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by russian_gangsta » April 11th, 2007, 4:10 am

Ice Cube - gratest rapper!!!
NWA - fatherz of gangsta rap...

trent

ice cube

Unread post by trent » April 16th, 2007, 5:38 pm

ice cube is doing different things right know cause he's grown up now.you can't talk about the same things all your life.and what he's doing now IS keeping it real.now cube's a grown man,so cube has grown man ideals now.

rustone
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by rustone » April 16th, 2007, 8:07 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Re: ice cube

Unread post by LcBwC » April 16th, 2007, 8:09 pm

trent wrote:ice cube is doing different things right know cause he's grown up now.you can't talk about the same things all your life.and what he's doing now IS keeping it real.now cube's a grown man,so cube has grown man ideals now.
Exactly thats what I was saying. Hes making new money, dudes hate that ish

l3awjawz
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Glasgow

Unread post by l3awjawz » May 1st, 2012, 5:04 pm

I seen Ice Cube live in Glasgow back in 1994. He was on top form and it was a great show, though a guy was murdered at the end.