IS MUSIC OUR ONLY WAY OUT?

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music. Also included here are news worthy articles as it relates to music, musicians and the industry.
BG MLOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: crooklyn

IS MUSIC OUR ONLY WAY OUT?

Unread post by BG MLOCO » April 3rd, 2007, 11:12 am

WHAT IT IS HOMIES, I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR A MINUTE US AS BLACK MEN, HISPANIC, MINORITY OR WHATEVER, IT SEEMS THAT OUR ONLY WAY OUT THE HOOD, THE STRUGGLE OR THE G LIFESTYLE IS MUSIC, WHY CANT MORE OF US BE ACCOUNTANTS, FINANCIAL CONSULTANTS, OWN A BUSINESS, NOT A RECORD LABLE, SIGN OURSELVES YA KNOW. ITS LIKE EVERYONE WANTS TO BE A RAPPER, NOT KNOWING ONLY LIKE 10% OF RAPPERS ARE RICH OR HAVE A LARGE SUM OF MONEY, ON SOME REAL SHIT, YALL A FEW OF MY HOMIES JUST SIGNED UP AND TAKING IN CLASS IN AUTO MECHANICS, AND IT I WAS HAPPY FOR THEM, AND THEY ARE ACTUALLY GOOD AT THE SHIT, TWO OF MY HOMIES ARE GETTING THEIR CERTIFICATES IN DECEMBER, ITS LIKE THE ONLY WAY US AS BLACK MEN CAN GET RICH IS OFF MUSIC, BASKETBALL, OR ACTING BASICALLY ENTERTAINMENT, ( ENTERTAINING EVERYONE ELSE I MEAN, NOT GONNA SAY THE MAN, CAN'T BLAME HIM FOR EVERYTHING) IM JUST SAYING HOW YALL FEEL?

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » April 3rd, 2007, 11:38 am

I hear what your sayin'. The thing is, we're so influenced by the media, and they promote these images of rappers who you didn't hear of last week and now he's got a video in rotation of BET. In the video he's got a big crib, cars, women, jewels, AND wack ass lyrics. First thing we think is, "I can do better than that shit!!!" So we get on this mission to attain those things, going that route.

Most people don't connect that fact that the crib and car ain't his, the jewels are borrowed, and the women leave soon as the director says "Cut".

But we think shit happens overnight and it don't. Especially not in the entertainment business. When I wrote the script for 'State Property' I finished writing it in August of '99. That shit didn't hit the screen 'til 2002. I did a deal for my last movie with Melee/Paramount in Sep. 2005. We STILL haven't shot the movie yet. That's just how it is.

Your boys got the right idea. Develop a skill, make some money and pursue that other shit in your spare time. That way if it don't happen, or takes longer than you expect, you ain't assed out in the meantime.

IBFLIPINCHIKENS
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by IBFLIPINCHIKENS » April 3rd, 2007, 12:01 pm

nigga just get ya bitch ass out there on the block and slang some crack like all you poeple do

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » April 4th, 2007, 7:09 pm

i think alot of people left hte hood in other ways u jst dont see bout'em or hear bout'em coz being an accountant dont make u famous

Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: IS MUSIC OUR ONLY WAY OUT?

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » April 4th, 2007, 7:49 pm

BG MLOCO wrote:WHAT IT IS HOMIES, I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR A MINUTE US AS BLACK MEN, HISPANIC, MINORITY OR WHATEVER, IT SEEMS THAT OUR ONLY WAY OUT THE HOOD, THE STRUGGLE OR THE G LIFESTYLE IS MUSIC, WHY CANT MORE OF US BE ACCOUNTANTS, FINANCIAL CONSULTANTS, OWN A BUSINESS, NOT A RECORD LABLE, SIGN OURSELVES YA KNOW. ITS LIKE EVERYONE WANTS TO BE A RAPPER, NOT KNOWING ONLY LIKE 10% OF RAPPERS ARE RICH OR HAVE A LARGE SUM OF MONEY, ON SOME REAL SHIT, YALL A FEW OF MY HOMIES JUST SIGNED UP AND TAKING IN CLASS IN AUTO MECHANICS, AND IT I WAS HAPPY FOR THEM, AND THEY ARE ACTUALLY GOOD AT THE SHIT, TWO OF MY HOMIES ARE GETTING THEIR CERTIFICATES IN DECEMBER, ITS LIKE THE ONLY WAY US AS BLACK MEN CAN GET RICH IS OFF MUSIC, BASKETBALL, OR ACTING BASICALLY ENTERTAINMENT, ( ENTERTAINING EVERYONE ELSE I MEAN, NOT GONNA SAY THE MAN, CAN'T BLAME HIM FOR EVERYTHING) IM JUST SAYING HOW YALL FEEL?
Speaking from my experience as a minority who came up in the inner city, etc., etc.. For what it's worth, our schools don't really have the resources to reach out to us. Our textbooks are outdated. Most of our teachers are not there for us. If you live in the ghetto then chances are our parents never went to college and aren't aware themselves as to the opportunities are out there. If you look at higher income neighborhoods, they have the nice schools, the good teachers, the rides, the informed parents, the protection, which all adds up to produce people who are more aware of the opportunities. That's how sh-it works. It's not because inner city minorities are cannot succeed but as they say we are "disadvantaged." Doesn't mean we can't overcome it but it is one hell of a struggle.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » April 5th, 2007, 3:20 am

Speaking from my experience as a minority who came up in the inner city, etc., etc.. For what it's worth, our schools don't really have the resources to reach out to us. Our textbooks are outdated. Most of our teachers are not there for us. If you live in the ghetto then chances are our parents never went to college and aren't aware themselves as to the opportunities are out there. If you look at higher income neighborhoods, they have the nice schools, the good teachers, the rides, the informed parents, the protection, which all adds up to produce people who are more aware of the opportunities. That's how sh-it works. It's not because inner city minorities are cannot succeed but as they say we are "disadvantaged." Doesn't mean we can't overcome it but it is one hell of a struggle.

Thats the one - peeps in the inner city hold the same amounts of intelligence, creative potential and all, but not access to the resources to make it happen and not only that, have to negotiate the neighbourhood environment everyday with all the temptations and dangers......one hell of a struggle.......

BG MLOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: crooklyn

Unread post by BG MLOCO » April 5th, 2007, 5:56 am

ME PERSONALLY FUCK FAME AND FUCK BEING FAMOUS I LIKE KEEPING A LOW PROFILE ANYWAY I WANT THIS BREAD, NAH MEAN, I COULD HAVE EASILY KEPT HUSLTING ALL MY LIFE IT WAS THERE, I CHOSE TO GO TO COLLEGE SO I COULD GET MY MIND RIGHT, LEARN SUM SHIT,SAND I ALREADY HAVE A DECENT STREETS SMARTS, I NEEDED TO LEARN A LIL BIT ABOUT CORPORATE AMERICA, EVERYONE AINT A RAPPER, PRODUCER, WRITER, OR AND ACTOR, I CANT ACT FOR SHIT, IM FUNNY FROM TIME TO TIME, I RAP FOR FUN, IM NOT MAKING $1 AN ALBUM, I LOVE CLOTHES BUT ITS HUNDREDS OF CLOTHING COMAPNIES, THERE IS LIL MONEY IN THAT NAW MEAN, IM JUST SAYING I FOUND MY NICHE IN MARKETING.

grundy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by grundy » April 9th, 2007, 6:09 pm

It might have been a way out a few years back. Now that shit is gay. Do you think muthafuckas will be reciting a Mims or Jim Jones verse 5-10 yrs from now. I respect their ability get paid but BS is BS. Like my father used to say about my old Straight Outta Compton and Born 2 Mack tapes that shit is Jungle Bunny music.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » April 9th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Believe it or not but the government actually tries to help out people from the ghetto, maybe even more than people that are middle class. The yg homie from the hood now owns his own pad legally. You just gotta work for it. The governemnt gives you financial aid, grants, scholorships, book vouchers, all kids of shizz for for you to get an education. Free tutoring at the schools, man people from other countries would kill for the advantages we have.

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » April 9th, 2007, 10:01 pm

[quote="NikexCortez"]Believe it or not but the government actually tries to help out people from the ghetto, maybe even more than people that are middle class. The yg homie from the hood now owns his own pad legally. You just gotta work for it. The governemnt gives you financial aid, grants, scholorships, book vouchers, all kids of shizz for for you to get an education. Free tutoring at the schools, man people from other countries would kill for the advantages we have.[/quote]

good point cortez

Return to “Music and News”