How is the greatest HEAVYWEIGHT MIDDLEWEIGHT LIGHTWEIGHT

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

How is the greatest HEAVYWEIGHT MIDDLEWEIGHT LIGHTWEIGHT

Unread post by stateraised2000 » February 23rd, 2009, 11:04 am

Who is/was the greatest of all time in these 3 divisions...
HEAVYWEIGHT
MIDDLEWEIGHT
LIGHTWEIGHT
NOT who fought in all these divisions but who was the greatest in these divisions.

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: BOXING...

Unread post by cliffard » February 23rd, 2009, 1:56 pm

heavies....the obvious answer is ali, but you got to consider jack johnson and maybe louis and dempsey as well. george foreman was very unlucky that his era coincided with ali and also that ali was one of the few that could figure his style out.
middles....sugar ray robinson, must admit i liked hagler as well
lightweight.....mayweather, cesar chavez, if you wanna go old school joe gans...see if you can find old videos of him on youtube.

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » February 23rd, 2009, 4:01 pm

check out this link. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... reatest110
hard to believe but they have sugar ray robinson as #1 of all time, even though he's in a different division than ali. as for the heavyweights i'd say ali also but there's been so many great fighters in them other divisions, like salvador sanchez (who's career was ended by a plane crash).

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » February 23rd, 2009, 5:17 pm

i dunno dude, look at his record, he was something else...i think if i didnt go for ali as the g.o.a.t. i would go for sugar ray robinson. all that aside what are your favourites, not necessarily the best but the ones you have enjoyed watching the most.

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » February 23rd, 2009, 5:31 pm

back in the day when i really followed boxing my favorites were hearns, arguello, pryor, salvador sanchez, hagler, ali, lupe pintor, mancini and theres so many more but those are some of the ones i used to like to see fight. another fighter who i got to know in L.A. pretty well in person, was Mando Ramos (rip). he showed us some of his greatest fights on a dvd he made. check his life story out. he was strung out on herion when he held the title. he was the youngest person to ever win the lightweight title. that record still holds to this day...
http://sports.rightpundits.com/?p=859

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » February 25th, 2009, 1:40 pm

what do you think of the lightweight battle coming up on the 28th of this month? marquez vs diaz... i gots to ride with marquez but diaz cant be counted out. heres a story i just read at EAST SIDE BOXING on them...

Boxing News: Marquez vs Diaz; BJ Flores vs Adamek or Braithwaite?
In 2008, Mexican icon Juan Manuel Marquez solidified his place among boxing's elite and became Mexico's number one fighter by knocking out Joel Casamayor and winning a championship in a third weight class. As 2009 opens, Marquez will not be resting on his laurels, as he accepted the challenge to face former three-time lightweight champion Juan "The Baby Bull" Diaz on Saturday, February 28th in what promises to be an early Fight of The Year candidate..

"This fight between Marquez and Diaz will shake the lightweight division to its core and truly determine the best 135-pounder in the world," said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "As a fan, I can't wait to see this fight."

Marquez vs. Diaz, a 12 round bout for the Ring Magazine World Lightweight Championship, is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and will be televised live on HBO's World Championship Boxing beginning at 10 pm ET / 7 pm PT.

Mexico's premier fighter and a future Hall of Famer, Juan Manuel "Dinamita" Marquez (49-4-1, 36 KO's) has signified excellence for over 15 years and in three weight classes. A world champion at featherweight and junior lightweight, the 35-year-old Mexico City native made an immediate impact at 135 pounds when he won the Ring Magazine World Lightweight Championship by becoming the first man to stop Cuban great Joel Casamayor on September 13, 2008.

"Juan Diaz is a talented young fighter with a bright future," said Marquez. "But this is still my time and I am not about to let Diaz take my belt away from me."

Just nine years old when Marquez made his pro debut, 25-year old Juan Diaz (34-1, 17 KO's) has roared through the pro ranks during his eight-year career and built a stellar reputation as one of the fight game's most exciting young stars. The Former Three-Time World Lightweight Champion defended his crown seven times, beating the likes of fellow World Champions Acelino Freitas and Julio Diaz along the way. In his last bout in September of 2008, "The Baby Bull" thrilled his hometown fans at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas with a dominant 12 round decision win over Australian warrior Michael Katsidis.

"Juan Manuel is one of the greats in the game and it's an honor to fight him, but I will be victorious on February 28th," said Diaz.

A site for Marquez vs. Diaz will be announced shortly. For more information please visit http://www.goldenboypromotions.com.

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » February 28th, 2009, 11:39 am

stateraised i never heard of mando ramos until now, what a talented dude...cant believe he was winning world class fights while drinking partying and being on heron. if he was a friend i'm sorry for your loss, people like that who turn their lifes around and then help others out of the pit theyre in are real role models to me.
boxing-ring.blogspot.com/2008/07/goodby ... ramos.html
probably nothing that you dont already know, but it gave me a bit of insight, and i like how the blog owner writes.

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » February 28th, 2009, 12:46 pm

yeah mando had great potential, drugs and the lifestyle brought his career to an abrupt end... heres a good site to go to for the real boxing fan...http://www.ringsidereport.com/rsr/news.php
[quote="cliffard"]stateraised i never heard of mando ramos until now, what a talented dude...cant believe he was winning world class fights while drinking partying and being on heron. if he was a friend i'm sorry for your loss, people like that who turn their lifes around and then help others out of the pit theyre in are real role models to me.
boxing-ring.blogspot.com/2008/07/goodby ... ramos.html
probably nothing that you dont already know, but it gave me a bit of insight, and i like how the blog owner writes.

HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: LosAngeles

Re: How is the greatest HEAVYWEIGHT MIDDLEWEIGHT LIGHTWEIGHT

Unread post by HappLoccc » July 26th, 2010, 8:51 pm

My pick is Heavyweight I would say between Muhammad Ali, Joe Lewis, Larry Holmes ( underrated)
Middleweight between Carlos Monzone, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Bernard Hopkins, and if Thomas Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard would of stayed Middleweight long enough I would add them as well. I would have to say who I felt was the best Middle Weight is Marvelous Marvin Hagler.
Lightweight, between Henry Armstrong, Benny Leonard, Roberto Duran, Pernell Sweet Pea whitaker.
my pick is Pernell Sweet Pea Whitaker or Roberto Duran.

Rayder
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: compton

Re: How is the greatest HEAVYWEIGHT MIDDLEWEIGHT LIGHTWEIGHT

Unread post by Rayder » July 27th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Mike Tyson

Suger Ray Robinson,Thomas Hearns

too much good fighters,ray leonard,PACMAN,aaron pryor

:wink: