Miguel Cotto vs Joshua Clottey

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Miguel Cotto vs Joshua Clottey

Unread post by oso1 » June 13th, 2009, 6:05 pm

This should be a good fight. I like both fighters but think Clottey will take it by late stoppage, or unanimous decision. Cotto, will have a lot of trouble trying to penetrate Clotteys defense, he protects his body and chin very well.

Supposedly if Cotto wins, hes next to fight Pacquiao, just Internet rumors....who knows ? And if Cotto should lose, I'm sure Pacquiao and Roach don't want anything to do with Clottey.

Cool thing about this fight, it's not PPV $$$ All these UFC, and Boxing PPV's start to add up.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: vegas

Re: Miguel Cotto vs Joshua Clottey

Unread post by tysuave » June 13th, 2009, 9:01 pm

clotty was robed in this one at the worst it was a draw..

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 13th, 2009, 9:59 pm

^^^ AWWW Man I have to disagree with you, not only was my prediction wrong about Clottey winning, but this is the worst that I've seen Clottey box.

As far as I know, this is the first time Clottey has been down. I thought once Cotto was cut and having all that blood blocking his vision, Clottey would have taken advantage of that opportunity, but he didn't capitalize on it.

I lost a lot of respect for Clottey, when he was hit in the back of the head, then falling on the canvas, then getting up complaining to the ref. Then Cotto, accidentally hit Clottey low, not hard enough for Clottey to fall to the canvas, yet he complained to the ref.

Even if Clottey would have won this fight, I was not impressed with him at all. Cotto on the other hand, to my surprise did very well, showed again that he has heart. Even when he was cut, he just continued on with business as usual. I'm sure if Cotto wasn't cut, he would have won more convincingly. Good performance by Cotto, and he doesn't look like a damaged fighter either.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by tysuave » June 14th, 2009, 12:22 am

yea coto looked like if he was fighing magracheto for a second time he would of been knocked out again,but anyway's you say clotty wasent robed the how do you explane 116-111 expressley given the fact that coto ran from clottey most of the seacond half of the fight.and one other point tell me a fight when the person who land most of the punches in a fight loses buy a dession expressley by one score card of 116-111

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 14th, 2009, 9:49 am

I know, it looked like Cotto was going to get stopped, but Clottey didn't follow through. Like I said, Clottey looked terrible, cut or no cut, I thought Clottey was going to take it to Cotto, what happened? Clottey, is capable of fighting a lot better than what he showed last night.

116 - 111 for Cotto ? I don't agree with that at all, It was definitely closer than that. I know those punch stats kind of threw me off, but from what I seen it looked like Cotto took the fight. First round, 10-8 for Cotto, for knocking Clottey down.

Then there was a couple of rounds where Clottey was allowing himself to be used as a punching bag, just staying against the ropes. I know all of Cotto's punches didn't land, but it made him look impressive with Clottey not responding immediately.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by tysuave » June 14th, 2009, 12:37 pm

yea I feel you on that I just think that one score was way off anyway's I feel cooto days is numberd now I think a rematch with shane he gets ko'd margarito he get's knocked out again or quit again pac man I might give the edge to pac that's probley cotto best chance at a win with the options he has left..

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 14th, 2009, 5:12 pm

You know you might be right about Cotto's days being numbered. If Clottey would have just applied more pressure he could have won the fight. I'm sure Shane was in that same situation as Clottey, he would have jumped on Miguel, and Margarito.... Man, who knows what that guy has left in the tank.

Paul "The Punisher" Williams is fun to watch, I don't see anyone right now at 147 who can take him. I like the way he moves and throws punches from different angles. And not just a head hunter, he knows how to mix up his punches, high, low, low high, I knew he was going to give Winky problems.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 16th, 2009, 1:57 pm

oso1 wrote: Supposedly if Cotto wins, hes next to fight Pacquiao, just Internet rumors....who knows ?
http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2009/06/16/m ... vember-14/

Posted Jun 16, 2009 1:34PM By Michael David Smith (RSS feed)
Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto have tentatively agreed to fight in Las Vegas on November 14, giving the world's best pound-for-pound boxer a very challenging fight against a highly ranked opponent -- and ensuring that we won't see Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather any time soon.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Bob Arum, who promotes both Pacquiao and Cotto, says he's close to getting contractual arrangements worked out for Pacquiao and Cotto to fight each other. The fighters would have to agree on how they would split the purse and how much they'd both weigh before the deal can get done, but Arum indicated that Cotto -- not Shane Mosley -- is Pacquiao's likely next opponent:
"I hope to put it together this week, to get an agreement on terms," Arum told The Times on Monday in a telephone interview from his Top Rank headquarters in Las Vegas. ...

"Shane's a terrific fighter, but for now he's the second choice," Arum said. "If we can't put together a Pacquiao-Cotto fight, we'll reach out to Shane."

Cotto beat Joshua Clottey by split decision on Saturday, with Pacquiao sitting at ringside. Although Cotto suffered a very serious cut on an accidental head butt during the fight, he is expected to be ready to begin sparring again in time to prepare for a November bout.

A Cotto vs. Pacquiao fight would be one of the biggest of the year in boxing. But it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for boxing fans, because it would also be a step away from the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather superfight that everyone wants to see.

galex323
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by galex323 » June 16th, 2009, 3:41 pm

the 12th round was the won he needed and he didnt fight

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by tysuave » June 16th, 2009, 4:23 pm

yea I higly doubt we will see floyd vs pac now cuzz I think cotto will get pac out of there.pac man has'nt fought anyone with the skills that cotto possies his only chance will be the weight issiue for cotto.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 16th, 2009, 9:13 pm

tysuave wrote:yea I higly doubt we will see floyd vs pac now cuzz I think cotto will get pac out of there.pac man has'nt fought anyone with the skills that cotto possies his only chance will be the weight issiue for cotto.
Pacquiao vs Cotto, I would like to see that fight.

I want to see how Manny reacts when he gets hit with a hard shot. I'm wondering if he will remain calm, or if he will start to through wide punches and falling in when he throws his left straight.

Pacquiao vs Cotto, win, win $$ situation for Bob Arum who promotes both of these fighters.

To bad for Mosley, not only does he miss out on a big payday, but I'm sure he would defeat Manny too.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by tysuave » June 16th, 2009, 11:11 pm

mosley needs to hurry up and fight instead of waiting for the fight he wants it's not like he's still young he needs to stay active.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » June 18th, 2009, 12:15 am

i had this fight 114- 114- tied, but I can see the judges giving it to Cotto, because he was a 1 eyed fighter for most of the fight and CLotley should have did more and Cotto squeeked out an impressive victory.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » June 18th, 2009, 5:12 am

is it just me or does Cotto not look as sharp or crisp as he did before the Margirito fight?

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » June 18th, 2009, 10:04 am

yeah i thought that it coulda been a draw. Clottey might have won if he didnt coast the 12th round. they both didnt inflict any damage on the other, except that head butt. i think they gave it to Cotto because all that whiny sh*t Clottey pulled in the ring. but one of the judges must have had money on Cotto.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » June 19th, 2009, 1:47 am

I think that the accidental head but took Cotto out of the fight with blood constantly going into his eye, I dont think you will loook crisp, but Cotto was definitely scoring when he would have Clottey in the corner. I'll keep my eye close on Cotto's next fight to see if he is crisp.