Who is the Greatest Light Heavy Weight ?

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: LosAngeles

Who is the Greatest Light Heavy Weight ?

Unread post by HappLoccc » July 26th, 2010, 9:01 pm

This is a question I posting, This is one that gets overlooked regarding some of there great fighters this division had, from the Mongoose Archie Moore, Bob Foster, Billy Conn, Marvin Johnston, Mathew Saad Muhammad, Eddie Mustafsa Muhammad, Dwight Braxton (Dwight Qwai), Michael Spinks, Virgil Hill, Roy Jones Jr, Michael Moore.
My top three LIght Heavies
1.Archie Moore,
2. Michael Spinks
3. Bob Foster

Rayder
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: compton

Re: Who is the Greatest Light Heavy Weight ?

Unread post by Rayder » July 28th, 2010, 2:03 am

Evander Holyfield

HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HappLoccc » July 28th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Rayder wrote:Evander Holyfield
Cool, Evander Holyfield was a Cruiser Weight, which is a division up from the Light Heavy weight division, the Cruiser weight division is between Light Heavyweight and Heavy Weight. Light Heavy Weight weight limit is 175 pounds, and the Cruiser Weight weight limit use to be 190 pounds and a brief moment 195 pounds but most 190 pounds up until recently the limit was increased to 200 Pounds, now another name that use to use for Cruiser Weight if you were fighting for the WBA Belt was called Jr. Heavy Weight and that was Evander Holyfield's first World Championship was the WBA Jr. Heavy weight belt, I can see the mix up on that. I will be posting a topic that will definitely concern Evander and The Cruisers, So stay tuned and keep your eye out for this post coming between today and tomorrow.

Rayder
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Rayder » July 29th, 2010, 1:18 am

:roll: Pu..
ok ok,he was a cruiser;)

than I´m say,Roy Jones Jr is the best.

Rayder
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Rayder » July 29th, 2010, 1:20 am

Rayder wrote:OK PunX

HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HappLoccc » August 1st, 2010, 11:58 pm

Rayder wrote:
Rayder wrote:OK PunX

I would agree with you on this, because of Roy Jones in his prime was pretty much untouchable and was the best pound for pound fighter, but the thing I would say that may prevent him from being the greatest Light Heavyweight is when he was fighting in that division there was not to much competition the way it was for Michael Spinks, Archie Moore and Bob Foster in there era. Roy as a boxing talent and his extremely fast hands and power I would say should of made him as one of the top, but just the lack of great opponents I feel tainted that, had Roy had more great opponents like Michael Moore if he could of still made Light Heavyweight, and had Antonio Tarver had developed as a good pro when Roy Jones was in his prime Calzaghe when Jones was in his prime with the list of good fighters he fought in that division like Montell Griffin, Reggie Johnson, and if Jones would of fought Virgil Hill in his prime, when they fought Virgil best years was behind him, I think Roy would of beaten Virgil in his best years. I just wished Roy would of had those great opponents when he was was still unstoppable. It not Roy's fault it is just that at that time either the good fighters in the division was past there prime or the very good talent like Tarver was not developed yet.

Rayder
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Rayder » August 3rd, 2010, 3:30 pm

jea,Bob Foster was realy quick and strong with a gret Jab,but I think Roy ist litle bit better with his amazing punchingpower

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » August 4th, 2010, 4:15 pm

archie moore, the old man, no one else compares....fought an awful lot of top quality heavies as well that he was giving an awful lot of weight to, in the ring fighting for championships AT NEARLY 50 YEARS OLD!!!
fought rock marciano and gave him a hard time of it at the age of 42, i personally have archie moore down as one of the all timers, taught muhammad ali and even got in the ring with him in his late 40s, this was when ali was at his physical peak before his enforced layoff, his reflexes were superhuman and archie still took him 4 rounds
men arent built like that any more, not that tough, well never see an archie moore again.....

HappLoccc
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by HappLoccc » August 7th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Rayder wrote:jea,Bob Foster was realy quick and strong with a gret Jab,but I think Roy ist litle bit better with his amazing punchingpower
Good point on that, I think Roy overall was the better fighter compared to Foster, that would be hard one to say for me, because with Bob Fosters extreme punching power at Light Heavy Weight he was in in 1970's what George Foreman was to the Heavyweights, Bob Foster was to the Light Heavyweights, with a bit more speed than what Foreman had division for division, if Roy can avoid getting hit by Foster, I think Roy could win, but just wonder what would happen if Bob Foster land a big shot at Jones, since Roy did not get hit much during his prime it is hard to tell how well he took a number of good shots, he never really had his chin tested in his prime. There is a question with me if Jones was to get caught by a Bob Foster right hand, how would he react ? Bob Foster vs Roy Jones would be a pick em for me.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » August 15th, 2010, 10:00 pm

I agree 100%, Archie Moore ! He is one of my all time favorite boxers in any weight division. One of the reasons his career lasted so long was, he was crafty. To me, Archie Moore = Sweet Science.

cliffard wrote:archie moore, the old man, no one else compares....fought an awful lot of top quality heavies as well that he was giving an awful lot of weight to, in the ring fighting for championships AT NEARLY 50 YEARS OLD!!!
fought rock marciano and gave him a hard time of it at the age of 42, i personally have archie moore down as one of the all timers, taught muhammad ali and even got in the ring with him in his late 40s, this was when ali was at his physical peak before his enforced layoff, his reflexes were superhuman and archie still took him 4 rounds
men arent built like that any more, not that tough, well never see an archie moore again.....

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » November 29th, 2012, 9:00 pm

I would have to go with Roy Jones because he was also entertaining, but it hard to judge him against the past greats that I never watched like Archie Moore.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » December 10th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Roy Jones is by far the best of the recent champs in that division.

Virgil Hill? The others mentioned above.