When will there be another American heavyweight champion?

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

When will there be another American heavyweight champion?

Unread post by Quepolo3 » August 20th, 2011, 6:32 am

For several years now, I have been wondering what has happened to the American fighters in the heavyweight division? For years, the most coveted title in Boxing was dominated by American Atheletes. Jack Johnson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, etc. What happened? It seems that once Lennox Lewis won the title, all of the champions in that division are coming from Europe. Will we ever dominate this weight division again? Shed some insight homies!

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: When will there be another American heavyweight champion

Unread post by alexalonso » August 21st, 2011, 10:51 pm

when Chris Arreola gets a shot at the champ when he comes in shape.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » August 22nd, 2011, 4:41 pm

alexalonso wrote:when Chris Arreola gets a shot at the champ when he comes in shape.
I like Arreola, but that's always the question with him. Will he be in shape? Also, I haven't seen the power in his punches that he will need to be a legitimate contender. He has the pedigree and technical skills, but I just don't think he has the power or stamina.

MILNATIVE
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Milwaukee

Unread post by MILNATIVE » August 23rd, 2011, 9:25 am

What about Tony Thompson or Eddie Chambers? Their both taking each other on to get another crack at the heavyweight title. It seems Thompson has the size, power, and gave Wladimir the toughest fight so far of his title reign....Arreola is getting in better shape and fighting often that can only improve his chances at another title shot...

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » August 23rd, 2011, 1:00 pm

MILNATIVE wrote:What about Tony Thompson or Eddie Chambers? Their both taking each other on to get another crack at the heavyweight title. It seems Thompson has the size, power, and gave Wladimir the toughest fight so far of his title reign....Arreola is getting in better shape and fighting often that can only improve his chances at another title shot...
Thompson is def. better than Chambers, and he put up a decent fight against Klitzcho. None of them have shown me the skills to deal with the size of the klitzcho bros. Arreola has looked much better recently, but he doesn't seem to have that killer instinct or that one shot punch, that he's going to need.

MILNATIVE
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MILNATIVE » August 23rd, 2011, 2:42 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:
MILNATIVE wrote:What about Tony Thompson or Eddie Chambers? Their both taking each other on to get another crack at the heavyweight title. It seems Thompson has the size, power, and gave Wladimir the toughest fight so far of his title reign....Arreola is getting in better shape and fighting often that can only improve his chances at another title shot...
Thompson is def. better than Chambers, and he put up a decent fight against Klitzcho. None of them have shown me the skills to deal with the size of the klitzcho bros. Arreola has looked much better recently, but he doesn't seem to have that killer instinct or that one shot punch, that he's going to need.

The worst thing for Thompson is he's almost 40, but I guess that didn't stop George Foreman and Evander Holyfield's still fighting looking for a shot by beating up tomato cans...Chambers is just way too small and not a good puncher, and Arreola gots the power, he's not 33-2 and 28 knockouts for nothing...His thing is always being in shape...which helps the motivation...

MILNATIVE
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MILNATIVE » August 23rd, 2011, 2:54 pm

MILNATIVE wrote:
Quepolo3 wrote:

The worst thing for Thompson is he's almost 40, but I guess that didn't stop George Foreman and Evander Holyfield's still fighting looking for a shot by beating up tomato cans...Chambers is just way too small and not a good puncher, and Arreola gots the power, he's not 33-2 and 28 knockouts for nothing...His thing is always being in shape...which helps the motivation...

Arreola has 11 first round knockouts also, so that's a 35% chance he's going to knock them out in the first round....and with 28 of 33 coming buy knockout its over 80% chance he's going to knock them out over 12 rounds...

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » December 17th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Is Chris Arreolla still fighting? Haven't heard much o him

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » December 17th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Yep, he lost weight but is still not on the Klitchko level yet. Once the older Klitchko leaves it may open up for younger guys to get a chance. HBO has a monopoly on who fights who as long as both Klitchkos are active.