Is Boxing dead???

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Is Boxing dead???

Unread post by alexalonso » March 11th, 2018, 1:02 pm

The sport of boxing appears to be in a decline right now. What do you think?

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Is Boxing dead???

Unread post by oso1 » March 12th, 2018, 1:20 am

The casual fans will say yes but I don't think so. Al Haymon, Golden Boy promotions and others have been putting on some really good fights.

It's just about marketing the up and coming fighters so that the casual fans will tune in and watch.

I'm not really interested in the Heavyweight division but there was a very entertaining fight between Wilder and Ortiz.

David Benavidez, the youngest champion and the first Mexican/American super middleweight champ.

Errol Spence welterweight.

Terrence Crawford will be moving up to welterweight for his next fight.

Mikey Garcia just won his fourth world title(140) in four weight divisions Saturday night. He's still planning on moving down to 135 to fight Lomachenko or Linares both are top fighters.

Lomachenko fights @ 130. everybody wants to see him fight Mikey Garcia.

Jorge Linares lightweight champ might fight Lomachenko next or Mikey Garcia somewhere down the line.

There are so many gifted boxers in the lower weight classes but a lot of the casual fans don't like to watch them.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 12th, 2018, 10:59 am

Good post Oso. Boxing is nowhere near dead. MMA was putting serious pressure on them, but being that it is only UFC and Belator (for most fans) nobody thinks that they will ever overtake boxing financially. Mid-level boxers make more in one fight then top level MMA guys do in years of fighting. Floyd by putting Mcgregor on ruined him. MMA cannot really afford him on a per fight basis now. The problem with boxing, which has always been the case, is promoters. It used to be King and Arum. Now its Haymon, Arum, De La Hoya, etc. They fix and pick fights now just like they did in the past.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 12th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Coup wrote:Good post Oso. Boxing is nowhere near dead. MMA was putting serious pressure on them, but being that it is only UFC and Belator (for most fans) nobody thinks that they will ever overtake boxing financially. Mid-level boxers make more in one fight then top level MMA guys do in years of fighting. Floyd by putting Mcgregor on ruined him. MMA cannot really afford him on a per fight basis now. The problem with boxing, which has always been the case, is promoters. It used to be King and Arum. Now its Haymon, Arum, De La Hoya, etc. They fix and pick fights now just like they did in the past.
Thank you and you are correct about the promoters. For example Bob Arum (Top Rank Promotions) promotes Lomachenko and use to promote Mikey Garcia, but Garcia chose to leave because of a contract dispute$$$. There's bad blood between Arum and Garcia and I don't think he (Arum) will match Loma against Garcia anytime soon.

Just like Pacquiao, they Arum, fans, and reporters are building Loma up to be one of the greatest fighters ever. Dan Rafael, thinks that Loma would have beaten Floyd Mayweather.

Up and comer Ryan Garcia. He needs to tuck his chin before he gets clipped.

Gervonta Davis, he's a beast! I can't remember his name but he's a Puerto Rican / American kid with a lot of skills, you'll see glimpses of Floyd in his style and he's a south paw too. All the above fighters have high KO' ratios so you would think that casual fans would want to watch them but like I said before they aren't marketed well enough.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 13th, 2018, 11:30 am

Gervante is starting to get promo because of Floyd and Haymon.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » March 14th, 2018, 7:29 am

^^ Yes he is.

So it's official, in May, Jorge Linares will fight Lomachenko. They will fight for Linares lightweight title. In my opinion this a good test for Loma, he'll be moving up in weight to fight Linares, the naturally bigger man who also has the advantages in height and reach but there are a lot of people so high on Loma that they don't even give Linares a chance.

Floyd Mayweather, who works with Tank, said that he wants Loma to fight Mikey Garcia, before he matches Tank against Loma. There's a lot of good fights that can be made but again it's up to the promoters.

Loma, Linares, Tank, Mikey Garcia, and Robert Easter are all potential opponents to fight each other. Maybe in the near future you can throw in Ryan Garcia.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » March 14th, 2018, 10:04 am

I like Easter a lot but Loma and Garcia might be too polished for him. A good counter puncher gives him problems. Tank took Broner's spot as the Floyd heir. Floyd has invested heavily in Tank and will move him along carefully.

Loma is good, but I always doubt a boxer that gets this much so fast. Can't knock his skills though.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » May 6th, 2018, 10:56 pm

I am always catching some good fights, never dead in my eye, but my house used to be full of friends when a good fight came on. Not anymore.