Study: Sex Crimes in Prisons Underreported

There are many that believe California's Prison Rehabilitation System and other systems around the world have more sinister purpose outside of incarceration. Discuss prison topics here in California, throughout the United States and Internationally.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 30th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Jul 30th - 6:42pm
PrintEmail

By LESLIE MILLER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Fewer than three prisoners in every 1,000 report they were sexually abused or harassed, but that probably is not the whole story, a government study says.

There may be far more sexual violence in prisons than is reported, the study's authors said, because inmates fear reprisal, adhere to a code of silence, do not trust the staff or are embarrassed.

"Administrative records alone cannot provide reliable estimates of sexual violence," wrote Allen J. Beck and Paige M. Harrison of the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

"It's a real and serious problem," said Malcolm Feeley, professor of law at the University of California, Berkeley. "It may be the single largest shame of the American criminal justice system, and that's saying a lot."

The study released Sunday by the Justice Department agency is based on reports to corrections officials in 2005.

The bureau looked at more than 1,800 correctional facilities holding some 1.7 million inmates _ 78 percent of the adult prison population.

The report is the second one required by the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003, which was an attempt to solve a problem believed to be widespread.

"What gets reported is the tip of the iceberg," said Cindy Struckman-Johnson, professor of social psychology at the University of South Dakota and a member of the National Prison Rape Elimination Commission.

Struckman-Johnson said her studies found 10 percent of male Midwestern state penitentiary inmates have been raped.

"In my research, only a third of the inmates actually reported it to anybody working in a prison," she said.

Beck and Harrison found that 38 percent of allegations involved staff sexual misconduct and 35 percent involved forced sex by an inmate on another inmate.

Also, 17 percent involved staff sexual harassment and 10 percent involved abusive sexual contact by an inmate on another.

This year's study includes more detailed information than the first study, published a year ago. The second study includes data on the circumstances surrounding each incident, the characteristics of the victims and perpetrators, the kind of force or pressure used, injuries, sanctions imposed and victim assistance.

"The greatest improvements in reporting were for staff sexual misconduct and harassment," the report said.

Only 15 percent of the sexual violence incidents were substantiated, the report said.

The bureau is working on ways to better measure sexual violence in prisons and jails, including anonymous self-administered surveys, the report said.

Prison culture makes it next to impossible for victims of such assaults to come forward, Feeley said.

The problem, he said, is exacerbated by problems of overcrowding, lax oversight and very long terms that lead to prisoner disillusionment with the system.

"There are a lot of things that could be done to reduce it," Feeley said.

The commission is warning Congress of the consequences of putting juveniles in adult prison, Struckman-Johnson said.

"When you put kids under 18 in prison with adults, the incidence of rape and abuse is five times higher," she said.

Prison rape isn't a problem limited to prisons, she said. "We get reports that people who are raped and abused in prison will rape and abuse others when they leave prison," she said.

___

On the Net:

Bureau of Justice Statistics: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=78 ... 519&page=2

BxMilitia
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BxMilitia » July 31st, 2006, 10:52 pm

MAN the GOVERNMENT IS CORRUPT. THATS WHY U GOTTA LOOK OUT FOR URSELF IN PRISON. ITS EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF. the GOAL FOR EVERY MAN IN PRISON IS TO SURVIVE. U CANT COUNT ON THE CO'S 2 LOOK AFTER U. MOST GUARDS R CORRUPT THEMSELVES ANYWAYZ AND CAN POSSIBLY WORSEN the SITUATION. FUCK the GOVERMENT.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 3rd, 2006, 2:44 pm

I wonder what happens to guys who are really mentally weak and have inhibitions like to violence where their mind tells them not to attack someone or hurt someone despite ordered to or something? Or the ones who have a low self esteem or are timid?

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 3rd, 2006, 2:45 pm

I mean im like that. I cant keep hitting a guy, and the only way I can get violent is when someone really pisses me off and even than i can only hit them once and wait for the fight to start.

GTS
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by GTS » August 3rd, 2006, 3:01 pm

Invincible wrote:I mean im like that. I cant keep hitting a guy, and the only way I can get violent is when someone really pisses me off and even than i can only hit them once and wait for the fight to start.
Don't go to prison then fag.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 4th, 2006, 2:03 pm

who would have it worse, a guy whose physically strong and imposing but mentally weak and afraid, or a guy who is weak and sissy looking but mentally strong and an alpha male?

GTS
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by GTS » August 4th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Invincible wrote:who would have it worse, a guy whose physically strong and imposing but mentally weak and afraid, or a guy who is weak and sissy looking but mentally strong and an alpha male?
sissy's can't stop a pencil being shoved in your neck that's been sharpened for 7 days.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » August 4th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Invincible wrote:who would have it worse, a guy whose physically strong and imposing but mentally weak and afraid, or a guy who is weak and sissy looking but mentally strong and an alpha male?
Either you adapt in some shape or form to the circumstances you are facing or you get stepped on.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 13th, 2006, 3:05 pm

GTS wrote:
sissy's can't stop a pencil being shoved in your neck that's been sharpened for 7 days.
nobody really can.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » August 14th, 2006, 7:30 am

Another fuccin mad thing no doubts. The majority of men going to jail wouldn't describe themselves as homosexual, but then theres those who become sexual predators, alone or with a group. Those predators still wouldn't think that they were gay and most likely hate gays and any idea of homosexuality. But theres just no way round it - a man who rapes a man is being homosexual, albiet the worst fuccin kind, a rapist kind. Its so fuccin twisted.
Some would say male rape is nothing to do with homosexuality, but everything to do with control, power and intimidation. Sure, that must be right, but theres just no getting away with it being intrinsically and unescapably homosexual, for fucc's sake, the rapists have to get a fuccin hard on! Hows that possible if you're a straight man! They gotta be feeling it for the batty man, simple as.

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » August 24th, 2006, 8:29 pm

i aint down with no kind of fag shit, if i hear of someone doing it while locked up i will pull his card quick and embarrass him or even maybe do something to him. theres no excuse for that type of shit.

and to invincible, people may think they are weak cuz they dont wanna bludgeon a man to the point of near death, but once your locked up and u see this person everyday and your personal problem turns to a deep hate you will find it easy to jab him with something when his not looking. AND YOU WILL GIVE NO PITY.

Return to “The Prison Industrial Complex”