More prisons coming soon to a neighborhood near you?

There are many that believe California's Prison Rehabilitation System and other systems around the world have more sinister purpose outside of incarceration. Discuss prison topics here in California, throughout the United States and Internationally.
Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

More prisons coming soon to a neighborhood near you?

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » May 27th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Govenor Schwarzenegger signed legislation to build 53,000 new prison and jail beds which is estimated to cost $7.7 billon dollars (plus ongoing maintenance) and will grow the state's most powerful union, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association (CCPOA), from 31,000 members to between 35,000 and 36,000 members (estimated).

Apparently the best solution the elected representatives of California could come up with to prison overcrowding was to build new prisons. What do you think about their decision? Do you think an opportunity for positive change may have been lost?

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » May 27th, 2007, 5:08 pm

something is worng when you have to keep building prisons, get rid of the 3 strike rule and look at another form
of punishment for people who violate parole for minor offences.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » December 15th, 2007, 4:57 pm

I think the whole political and penal system is in need of an overhaul. But it's not going to happen in my lifetime most likely. Neither Dad (neoconservatives) or Mom (modern liberals) are going to fix things. They both just want more power and more laws which they wield in an authoritarian manner.

DC wrote:something is worng when you have to keep building prisons, get rid of the 3 strike rule and look at another form
of punishment for people who violate parole for minor offences.

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » December 15th, 2007, 6:25 pm

Whats lost is a political structure; not enough voices to speak out against the capitalist and those in key positions.

The violence is way out of hand and often cost innocent children/victims their lives, something has to be done about it. However, the Three-Strikes Law has been- and is being abused and misconstrued to the public. This is why the prisons are overcrowded. On top of that.. Lifers rarely if ever, get released nowadays.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » December 15th, 2007, 7:48 pm

Those are interesting points you make. Especially that the political structure is losing ground not gaining it (though the trans-national corporations are rolling in their sellout of America for the short term) and not enough voices speaking out against modern capitalism (which is different than the capitalism of my grandfather's generation where American corporations put America and the American worker first) and the political puppets that keep everything moving forward toward something other than our best interests but in theirs.

Violence? Good point. Way out of hand. Sometimes I think it is permitted to be that way so the powers that be (both left and right) can use it as an excuse to take greater power (meaning less freedoms for us). Prison overcrowding? Too many laws on the books for one thing. You have to understand when I was a kid, long time ago, there weren't anything close to this many laws. People had real freedom back then. But the gang explosion from the 60's on killed them. I mean you had Black Panthers showing up in front of the capital building in Sacremento toting shotguns and the police couldn't do anything about it but take pictures. It was legal then. Lifers getting out of prison? There was a time when reform wardens ran prisons in this country. This generation never heard of the likes of Warden Duffy. We didn't just lock them up and throw away the key back then.
AllhoodPublications wrote:Whats lost is a political structure; not enough voices to speak out against the capitalist and those in key positions.

The violence is way out of hand and often cost innocent children/victims their lives, something has to be done about it. However, the Three-Strikes Law has been- and is being abused and misconstrued to the public. This is why the prisons are overcrowded. On top of that.. Lifers rarely if ever, get released nowadays.

BLAINEizFIYAH
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: atlanta

Unread post by BLAINEizFIYAH » December 15th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I THINK ITZ JUZ A cYcLE...

PeoPle already kno the Power they have....somewhat...That they can kontrol the streets.
But on the bright side...More People Kud have more jobz....in a jail lol but money iz money

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » December 16th, 2007, 1:33 am

BLAINEizFIYAH wrote:I THINK ITZ JUZ A cYcLE...

PeoPle already kno the Power they have....somewhat...That they can kontrol the streets.
But on the bright side...More People Kud have more jobz....in a jail lol but money iz money

if people would just control themselves and leave everyone else to do the same and they did... there would be a whole lot less need for the lockup.

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » December 16th, 2007, 1:52 am

The American prison = Russian gulag or a hotel compared to the Russian gulag? :lol:

Freedom camps = concentration camps. :shock:

Beware. 2008. Spread the word.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » December 17th, 2007, 1:17 am

flame_guards_member1 wrote:The American prison = Russian gulag or a hotel compared to the Russian gulag? :lol:

Freedom camps = concentration camps. :shock:

Beware. 2008. Spread the word.

In America they got everything from Club Fed to Pelican Bay....
Day camp for grown men ... and work camps with an 80% mortality ( so i have been told by someone who survived a Texas prison)
so.. American Prisons are as varied as Americans themselves.

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » December 28th, 2007, 11:47 pm

why are people suprised...this country is full of shit...the US owe over 9 trillion cash 2 the rest of the world , u got kids dyin in the streets due 2 poverty and were short on school supplies....but of course we got enough bread 2 make prisons, stadiums, war funds, and courthouses... :roll: