ChinGu - Early 80's to 90's Korean G's - Full Movie Online!!

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
MiChuhSuh

ChinGu - Early 80's to 90's Korean G's - Full Movie Online!!

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 19th, 2007, 6:17 pm

This is a great movie about the transition people in Korea had starting with the 1980's. Basically up to the 1970's Korea was extremely poor and recovering from the Korean War so everything was corrupt with gangs and the government, but starting in the 1970's the country got back on their feet, so the early 1980's were different in the balance of old school and new school (current) Korean culture.

Here's a trailer:

I got the full movie link at the bottom of this post, but some notes:

Calling something/someone gangster is a little derogatory, so when the kid calls the guy witht eh nice car "gangster" he's looking down on him as a person, so it's like the opposite of the scene from the movie South Central.

Gangs for students and "professional" gangs were different. Gangs for students were more like school rivalries, it's kind of hard to explain. People at Dorsey/Crenshaw might understand it, but it goes way beyond that. The closest I can think of are those European "soccer hooligans/firms" except with schools instead of teams. After that the best fighters and/or most connected people were recruited into someone's organization where they sold drugs, smuggled, bypassed trade regulations... basically all the mafia/yakuza-type stuff.

There are basically no guns in civilian hands in South Korea at this time, so everything was based on fighting ability. But that includes axes, motorcycle chains, nunchucks, knives, etc.

If you're wondering about the uniforms, all students had to wear their school uniforms even outside of school with a name badge identifying them, their school, and their class rank. This was to keep students in the "right mentality"/submission and to prevent students from knowing who was poor and who had money. But this also helped fuel those "school rivalries" and also ranks. That's why in the movies where like 100 people jumped on those three, everyone knew who to attack.

They actually toned down the beatings in school for the movie, I heard about teachers breaking 2x2x4's over kid's legs at the time so I don't get the first teacher. But basically all teachers were allowed to use whatever physical force they felt necessary without having to explain.

Even within gangster culture they respected students who went to make something of themselves.

The really accurate thing about this movie is that about half of all gangsters moved to college and ended becoming those stereotypically nerdy and law abiding Asians with masters degrees and PhD's. And you would never know. Out of all the Koreans in their mid-40's to early 60's right now, I would say at least half were "in the mix."

Other than that, the translation isn't literal as much as it is to help English speakers. For example, when the singer tells him "I'm actually older than you" she literally said in Korean "I'm really your older sister" since Koreans refer to each other as brothers and sisters, but that would sound weird to most English speakers.

The full movie link is:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4741&hl=en
[GVideo]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4741&hl=en[/GVideo]

P.S. Oh yeah, and it kind of starts slow at the first few minutes because it basically shows their whole lives, but don't skip it, it brings everything together at the end.

And if you don't get the first scene, they're following the smoggy truck through the market to use it as a "smoke screen" so they can steal food.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » August 19th, 2007, 6:43 pm

i suggest you download the video through the link.
Its better to watch it on your cpu's video player rather then the google one.
I suggest VLC for windows users.
took me 8 minutes to DL the movie so dont worry about it.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 19th, 2007, 8:31 pm

^ shame on you

how dare you suggest that we do something like go to javimoya.com and download the file!
how dare you suggest we use VLC player or WMP classic so we can easily view all of the download movie formats including youtube and google video full screen with plenty of options!
:wink:

seriously though, whether you liked it or didn't, if you watched it give some feedback/reviews, I want to know what people think

next time you see that old ass man in your college or across the counter think twice :wink:

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » August 19th, 2007, 9:36 pm

It was a pretty good movie actually.
i just would of liked more character development between the Grade A student Guy and the sidekick guy.
there are barely any scenes of them talking to each other so you dont really get the feeling of "friends" between them.
other then that i think it was a good movie.
8/10 for me

btw
the sound was kinda off but i dont speak korean so it didnt matter that much.

js83
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by js83 » August 26th, 2007, 2:29 pm

This is a great movie...bought the DVD years ago...

Don't sleep on this movie ya'll...