Street Kings

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Street Kings

Unread post by willihen » August 19th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Just got done watching Street Kings
with Keanu and Forrest Whitaker, Directed by the writer of Training day and Harsh times.

Better than "Harsh Times" but much worse than "Training Day"

Had a lot of similarities with Training Day. Also got tired of all the rediculous in fighting between all the cops.
Gave it a 5 out of 10.

any thoughts?

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Street Kings

Unread post by willihen » August 19th, 2008, 8:30 pm

watched the commentary and tried to pay attention to filming locations.

the scene with Common, Bone, Keanu, Chris Evens, and Cedric the Entertainer was filmed in William Mead projects, which is Dogtown.

The chase scene with Noel G. was filmed down around 48th and Central, all around there.

Question if anybody knows.

They said Grill (Game) was from forties town.
I'm guessing that since they said his house was off San Pedro he would've been from over there around w/s 42nd crips, with all those e/s crips 42, 43, even maybe 48th.
Or maybe just a displaced rollin' 40.

any ideas?

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » August 20th, 2008, 8:06 am

Yeah this movie was aaaaight.

I copped a bootleg with the watermark but it was good quality besides that. The infighting to me was very realistic. I also thought there was some scenes DIRECTLY out Training Day.

Keanu didn't do too bad and the rest of the cast was cool. Aside from it being too similar to Training Day I don't know why more people didn't check for it

SmoshBro
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Massachusetts
What city do you live in now?: Ontario

Unread post by SmoshBro » August 23rd, 2008, 3:44 pm

I watched it and thought it had a good storyline but got confusing near the end. I was disappointed there wasnt more of a "gang presence" though, mainly because when I first saw the previews it seemed like thats what the story would be about. And yeah, some scenes reminded me of Training Day alot.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » August 23rd, 2008, 7:01 pm

That's the movie about the cops right, and Game plays the role of a gang leader?

SmoshBro
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Massachusetts
What city do you live in now?: Ontario

Unread post by SmoshBro » August 24th, 2008, 4:30 pm

Azure9920 wrote:That's the movie about the cops right, and Game plays the role of a gang leader?
yeah thats it

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Unread post by razbojnik » September 14th, 2008, 2:31 am

willihen wrote:Just got done watching Street Kings
with Keanu and Forrest Whitaker, Directed by the writer of Training day and Harsh times.

Better than "Harsh Times" but much worse than "Training Day"

Had a lot of similarities with Training Day. Also got tired of all the rediculous in fighting between all the cops.
Gave it a 5 out of 10.

any thoughts?
It was so so, better than alot of other crappy movies that came out in 2008 I just couldn't even watch...

What the fuck is wrong with the movie industry these days??? Can't they make anymore good movies??

Why the fuck did the bitch tell me that Harsh Times wasn't even out yet?? And Training Day was the best of the best in terms of gang movies IMO..

fitteddaboss
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: South Carolina
What city do you live in now?: charleston

Unread post by fitteddaboss » September 20th, 2008, 3:12 pm

yea thats that movie where game was eatin cereal with beer instead of milk..then keanu bus in the door and kick his ass...lol

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » November 21st, 2008, 3:43 pm

willihen wrote:watched the commentary and tried to pay attention to filming locations.

the scene with Common, Bone, Keanu, Chris Evens, and Cedric the Entertainer was filmed in William Mead projects, which is Dogtown.

The chase scene with Noel G. was filmed down around 48th and Central, all around there.

Question if anybody knows.

They said Grill (Game) was from forties town.
I'm guessing that since they said his house was off San Pedro he would've been from over there around w/s 42nd crips, with all those e/s crips 42, 43, even maybe 48th.
Or maybe just a displaced rollin' 40.

any ideas?
They just made up that gang name for the movie. The writer probably read alonso's Crip gang list and combined Rollin' 40's with Spook Town or somehing like that.