New Computer and transfer data

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Anonymous20

New Computer and transfer data

Unread post by Anonymous20 » July 27th, 2004, 1:13 pm

I just got a new computer, but I want to take my 30 gigs of data to the new computer. What is the easisest way to get that info to the new computer. I was going to burn it to CDs, but that would be over 40 CDs to burn. I need something easy and quick.

mike89
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: New Computer and transfer data

Unread post by mike89 » July 27th, 2004, 1:18 pm

DO YOU HAVE A HARD DRIVE DATA BASE CABLE LINK.IF SO YOU CAN DOWNLOAD FROM ONE HARD DRIVE TO THE OTHER

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » July 27th, 2004, 1:22 pm

My old computer is a Compaq that I bought in 1999, I have three USB ports but I am not familiar with that link. Is that a new thing or should my Compaq have that.

And if it does not what else are my options.

mike89
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mike89 » July 27th, 2004, 1:32 pm

alonso wrote:My old computer is a Compaq that I bought in 1999, I have three USB ports but I am not familiar with that link. Is that a new thing or should my Compaq have that.

And if it does not what else are my options.
YOUR COMPAQ COMPUTER SHOULD BE UP TO DATE WITH THIS TECHNOLOGY AS THIS WAS MADE AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC BACK IN 1997.ON THE BACK OF YOUR COMPUTER THERE SHOULD BE THREE TO SIX USB PORTS.DEPENDING ON THE YEAR AND MAKE OF YOUR COMPUTER.I'D HAVE TO SEE THE COMPUTER MYSELF TO GIVE YOU MORE INFO/HELP. ALSO WITH ME WORKING AT BEST BUY HERE IN OHIO ,I KNOW THAT IF THEY(STORE)OUT THERE ON THE WEST COAST.YOU CAN GO AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE WANTING TO DO.I'M ALMOST POSITIVE THAT YOU CAN GET HELP THERE.IF NOT TRY RADIO SHACK OR A LOCAL COMPUTER SHOP.I'M NOT FAMILAR(BAD SPELLING SORRY)WITH CALIFORINA.BUT IF I CAN HELP MORE OR YOU KNEED MORE ADVISE I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO.

XiOnG

Unread post by XiOnG » July 27th, 2004, 4:15 pm

The easiest way would be to just hook up the old hard drive to the new computer. Most new computers come with 1 hard drive so you can grab your old hard drive and just attach it to the new computer.

Or if you don't want to keep the hard drive on your new computer, you can attach the hard drive, copy the data from the old hard drive onto your new hard drive, then take it out. If its something you're interested in, lemme know and i can get into specifics cuz it requires opening up the computer.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » July 27th, 2004, 4:38 pm

Maybe try linking both computers by networking and just keeping what you want on the new hard drive, that is what I do with my 3. But you can also take it to a reputable computer shop and have them transfer the data, they'll only charge you about 50 bucks.

juniorx
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by juniorx » July 31st, 2004, 5:41 am

First part of what Lonewolf said.. Network the 2 computers.. will be Transferred in no time really.. all u need is X-Over Network Cable, a Network Card in each PC and set them up on a LAN.. very basic thing to do.. if ur PC is new enuff.. the new PC should have Inbuilt Ethernet Card already..

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » August 1st, 2004, 11:42 pm

JuniorX wrote:First part of what Lonewolf said.. Network the 2 computers.. will be Transferred in no time really.. all u need is X-Over Network Cable, a Network Card in each PC and set them up on a LAN.. very basic thing to do.. if ur PC is new enuff.. the new PC should have Inbuilt Ethernet Card already..
Can you explain this in easier English. My old computer does have a ethernet and so does the new one. but i dont understand x-over, network card, and LAN.

Can't I just shrink all my files to a cd ?

juniorx
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by juniorx » August 2nd, 2004, 3:20 am

do u know how many cd's its gonna take and how long and annoying its gonna be ... go to ur Local PC shop.. Ask for some network Cross-Over Cable.. Make one PC's IP say.. 192.168.0.1 and the other PC 192.168.0.2 .. Share all the Data and then transfer it..

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » August 2nd, 2004, 2:29 pm

JuniorX wrote:do u know how many cd's its gonna take and how long and annoying its gonna be ... go to ur Local PC shop.. Ask for some network Cross-Over Cable.. Make one PC's IP say.. 192.168.0.1 and the other PC 192.168.0.2 .. Share all the Data and then transfer it..
Sounds easy, will tryit,

Ducati
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Ducati » September 12th, 2004, 12:34 am

alonso, a crossover would be the best and quickest way. I help people setup this transfer on a daliy basis for the job i do. Tech support from a 16 year old

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » October 18th, 2004, 1:34 am

Ducati wrote:alonso, a crossover would be the best and quickest way. I help people setup this transfer on a daliy basis for the job i do. Tech support from a 16 year old
i still have not done this yet, but i hope to do it this week. I will purchase the Network Cross Over Cable. Where does connect to? the modems, or through USB? Also the old computer is running Windows ME, and the new one is running XP. This wont be a problem, right?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 28th, 2004, 5:51 pm

alonso wrote:
Ducati wrote:alonso, a crossover would be the best and quickest way. I help people setup this transfer on a daliy basis for the job i do. Tech support from a 16 year old
i still have not done this yet, but i hope to do it this week. I will purchase the Network Cross Over Cable. Where does connect to? the modems, or through USB? Also the old computer is running Windows ME, and the new one is running XP. This wont be a problem, right?
Alonso, what I did is got myself a "router", then "cat 5 cable", I hooked up all my computers on the "lan" connections ("NOT USB") and plugged them into the router, then I networked them together by using the "xp built in MY NETWORK PLACES" which will walk you thru it step by step, you'll need a "floppy disk" also.
Once you network them together, you can then copy files & data off which ever one you select and only what you want, don't worry about ME or XP, its all windows. If programs is what worries you about not being compatible, I would say that XP can accomodate just about everything out there. Drivers are usually the only problem with xp, but you can always find them and download them. Anyways I'm no expert on computers - far from it - but that is how I do my spaghetti.
I hope that I wasn't too confusing, hope it helps you out.

kenni
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kenni » January 18th, 2005, 7:09 am

XiOnG wrote:The easiest way would be to just hook up the old hard drive to the new computer. Most new computers come with 1 hard drive so you can grab your old hard drive and just attach it to the new computer.

Or if you don't want to keep the hard drive on your new computer, you can attach the hard drive, copy the data from the old hard drive onto your new hard drive, then take it out. If its something you're interested in, lemme know and i can get into specifics because it requires opening up the computer.
yupp, that's the easiest way and best ??

nipset
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by nipset » February 21st, 2005, 11:04 pm

connect it on the slave on the new comp and transfer it.