Suburban Gangs: Affluent Rebels by Danny Korem

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » May 26th, 2005, 5:35 am

Invincible wrote:I thought west covina was a good safe area?
Alonso identified 2 african american streetgangs in West Covina in 1996. Also in other suburban areas too like Pasedena

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » May 26th, 2005, 8:41 am

yeah but West Covina is a Sureno town. West Covina13, AlCapone13, Cyclones13 and probably more varrios.

cbi562
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cbi562 » May 27th, 2005, 6:21 pm

NW10 wrote:
Invincible wrote:I thought west covina was a good safe area?
Alonso identified 2 african american streetgangs in West Covina in 1996. Also in other suburban areas too like Pasedena
There are still bangers out there in West Covina. Pasadena is a broken down area. Now if your talkin about Old Town - then thats a nice rich area.

jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jboogie » May 28th, 2005, 3:52 pm

West Covina has some Pinoy sets too, but I don't know how strong they're holding it down. And yeah a lot of people generalize Old Town Pasadena with the rest of the city when in truth there are a lot of hoods there. Duarte and Monrovia are known as Sureno towns but both cities have a strong presence of DRC members who rep hard. All the hoods in these cities have a strong history, so it wouldn't be fair to say that all suburban gangs are "fake".

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » June 4th, 2005, 11:56 pm

the best idea if you get kicked out of your house or move out early with no skills or much work experience is to live with some rich people and work for them there serving them. One time I was in fornt of bestbuy and some guy was trying tot alk to some people who ignored him and he went up to me and told me that he just came out of prison and showed me his id and said he didnt know where to go or what to do? What would you tell this guy? Would a church help him? Would a social service office help him? heck who would hire him? He was white by the way for those who say only minorities can have it bad.

Dr Funky
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr Funky » June 5th, 2005, 9:33 pm

Invincible wrote:the best idea if you get kicked out of your house or move out early with no skills or much work experience is to live with some rich people and work for them there serving them. One time I was in fornt of bestbuy and some guy was trying tot alk to some people who ignored him and he went up to me and told me that he just came out of prison and showed me his id and said he didnt know where to go or what to do? What would you tell this guy? Would a church help him? Would a social service office help him? heck who would hire him? He was white by the way for those who say only minorities can have it bad.
Are there any temporary shelters in your city? That might work. After that he can apply for welfare and medicade.

Red Rum56
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Red Rum56 » June 5th, 2005, 10:21 pm

puffpuffgive wrote:white boys are all soft??? i would stomp your fruity ass just for looking mad at me...guess youve never left your ghtto in your entire life bitch
Skaters get clowned the worst.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 6th, 2005, 7:11 am

Always funny man! Whites are soft/blacks hard!...I mean what! Its all about privalidge, money, resources. Folk from tough areas are tougher cos they come from areas without resources - and thats all over the world! I mean, if for example, a few black or mexican boys were taken from some tough areas of LA and put off in Manchester or Liverpool in Northern England -take say ten seasoned homies and take away all weapons, so its all old school - Put them up against a crew of white boys from a tough area of Manchester and I'll put my money on those white boys. Or Manchesters black boys against LA homies without tools - I'll put my bet on MAnchester stylee. The reason that those boys are tough is that they have grown up, generation after generation fighting with their fists and in the main, don't use weapons and dont have a gang culture like America's. Thats how I grew up in the North of England. Believe me, there are plenty of hard whites in towns like that. But when we look to America, the stereotype is that American white boys are soft (and Southern English boys!) - why is that? Funny though innit. At the end of the day, I dont really care 'bout whos hard or soft, but maybe folks in LA could learn from old English towns like Manchester and get back to settling scores man to man or crew to crew but without tools. That way, you get to tell your tales and you dont see a fifteen year old with his brains lying next to him after his heads been blown apart! Peace.

puffpuffgive
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by puffpuffgive » June 6th, 2005, 8:38 am

Snake wrote:
puffpuffgive wrote:white boys are all soft??? i would stomp your fruity ass just for looking mad at me...guess youve never left your ghtto in your entire life bitch
Skaters get clowned the worst.
i wouldnt be too sure if id get clowned by you

Low_Dogg
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Low_Dogg » June 6th, 2005, 10:08 am

the city of compton and other black suburbs are full of gangterz coz violent and dangerouz black people are livin over there idiot.unlike soft azz wyte rich wannabez in wyte suburbs

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » June 6th, 2005, 11:47 am

Dr Funky wrote:I think he was talking about all the kids whose parents belong to the country clubs and the whole family goes on their yahts during the weekend and then the kid blasts 50 cent in his room and where's durags and super baggy pants along with all of his other friends and they live in happy acres or whatever.
wiggerz

jae
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: Suburban gangs

Unread post by jae » June 11th, 2005, 10:30 pm

DC wrote:The thing with finding jobs is that 80% go unadvertised in what is called the under ground Job market, these jobs are filled by people who network and have connections to people in the industry like friends.
What I suggest you do is compile a list of as many companies that you would like to work for and email every one of them your Resume.
Trust me something will come up, this is how I have landed most of my jobs.
i completely agree with you. thats EXACTLY how it goes. that's why networking is so important if you on the grind. gotta keep your ears and eyes open not only for yourself, but for your people. communication is key to all things.

Dr Funky
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr Funky » June 12th, 2005, 7:02 pm

I just got hired on Thursday at a local amusement park. I sweep, and take out garbages all day long. For minimum wage and it has been unusually hot here. Mid 90's. :shock: We normally get 1 week of that in July or August. Not now. It feels like I'm walking around Bagdad or somthing. But hey it's a job. :wink:

XQzMe24

Unread post by XQzMe24 » June 16th, 2005, 4:55 pm

That stuff is stupid...... Take advantage of those damn opportunity's..

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » June 19th, 2005, 10:22 pm

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Suburban gangs

Unread post by Qdawg » May 29th, 2006, 3:06 pm

[quote="Bo$$"]Suburban gangs...sounds like a croc of shit to me homie. Suburban cats should just stick with they skateboards an what not, and lay off the #%@&#%@ gangsta culture that fasinates them so much...[/quote]

"those who sleep on any neighborhood usually be the 1s who be put to sleep by those neighborhoods"..last time i check compton,california is a suburb of los angeles & them suburb boys be calling theyself bangin so throw all that suburb ,slum non-comparisons crap out of the window man

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » February 26th, 2007, 12:26 am

Got damn I forgot about this thread, my old username is on this thread thats how old this shit is :lol: