"Tookie": Says child-molest suspect not his son

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

"Tookie": Says child-molest suspect not his son

Unread post by Christina Marie » November 24th, 2005, 1:32 am

Child-molest suspect not his son, says Crips co-founder "Tookie"
Williams alleges smear tactics
Mason Stockstill, Staff Writer

FONTANA - Attorneys for Death Row inmate and Crips co-founder Stanley "Tookie" Williams say a suspected child molester being sought in Fontana is not Williams' son, contrary to what police earlier told the media.

Read related story: Crips co-founder's son suspected of molestation
Tookie's Clemency website: tookie.com

Williams, who is seeking clemency, said in a petition to the governor that police linked him with Lafayette Jones -- a 36-year-old man charged with committing sex acts with a 13-year-old girl -- as part of a smear campaign against him.

"The effect of the story ... was to falsely link Stanley `Tookie' Williams to an alleged rapist in the mind of the public at exactly the time his clemency petition is pending," Williams' attorneys wrote in their petition.

Last week, the San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office issued a $600,000 warrant for Jones' arrest.

Fontana police said he took a 13-year-old girl from her home Nov. 12 and then forced her, at gunpoint, to perform sex acts on him. The girl later escaped, police said.

Jones was charged with committing lewd and lascivious acts with a child under 14 years old, assault with a deadly weapon, terrorist threats and false imprisonment.

Fontana police said Jones is Williams' son, which was reported in the Daily Bulletin on Nov. 16, and in numerous other media outlets.

But Williams' attorneys obtained a signed affidavit from Jones' mother, Janice Anderson, who said Jones' father is a different man named Stanley Williams -- not the one who is on Death Row.

"Tookie" Williams, a co-founder of the notorious Crips street gang, was sentenced to death in 1981 for fatally shooting a convenience store worker in Whittier. He also has been convicted of killing three people at a Los Angeles motel during a robbery.

Since he was incarcerated, Williams has written a series of children's books urging youngsters to avoid joining gangs. Many have called on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to grant Williams clemency. His supporters include actor Jamie Foxx, who portrayed Williams in a made-for-TV movie, and rap artist Snoop Dogg, a former Crip.

State prison officials said there was no smear campaign against Williams, and that no one from the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation had spoken with Fontana police regarding Jones.

"The judge issued a death warrant back on Oct. 24, and we intend to proceed on the scheduled execution, set for Dec. 13," said department spokesman Todd Slosek.

Williams' attorneys also disputed previous statements made by officials at San Quentin State Prison linking Williams to prison gang violence.

Their petition includes prison documents showing that while Williams was involved in several fights during his first few years in prison, he has not committed any rules violations since 1993.

Mason Stockstill can be reached by e-mail at mason.stockstillor by phone at (909) 483-9354.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3246914

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » November 26th, 2005, 12:38 am

Hm..... I don't know about the lawyer getting a signed paper from Lafayette's mom saying that it wasn't Tookie. Not only did she and her mom (Lafayette's grandma) say that it was Tookie previously, but on top of that Lafayette Jones had previously gone to a Tookie clemecy rally to "support his father". I think something is up here...

But whatever, since she signed the paper saying that, who knows?

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » November 26th, 2005, 1:45 am

End Violence NOW wrote:Hm..... I don't know about the lawyer getting a signed paper from Lafayette's mom saying that it wasn't Tookie. Not only did she and her mom (Lafayette's grandma) say that it was Tookie previously, but on top of that Lafayette Jones had previously gone to a Tookie clemecy rally to "support his father". I think something is up here...

But whatever, since she signed the paper saying that, who knows?
since you made these comments I am going to ask that you provide some sort of proof to what you are saying, 1) Where did you get that Lafayette's mom said that Tookie was the father. I seen a published report that said that the father's name was Stan Williams (a very common name) but it was not Tookie. Lafayette Jones is 36 and Tookie is 51. Tookie would have been 15 years old when he had him and he DOES not have a son that age.
2) What rally did Lafayette Jones go to? I was not aware of this.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » November 27th, 2005, 2:55 pm

FONTANA - Family members of a sexual assault suspect are urging him to surrender to police. Police say Lafayette Jones made a teenage girl perform sex acts in a parking lot in Fontana over the weekend.

We're told Jones is the son of a death row inmate--Stanley "Tookie" Williams, founder of the Crips Street Gang who is set to be executed next month.

The suspect's grandmother, Geneva Hawes, says her grandson doesn't know Williams. She says, "I'm not saying he's not his father, but he did not raise him."

Jones' family is worried the publicity surrounding this case will bring harm to him before he has a chance to surrender.

If you've seen Lafayette Jones, you're asked to call the Fontana Police Department at 909 - 350 - 7720.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=3637509
If Tookie did have a son at age 15 (not saying he did) then the statement that Geneva Hawes made would be reasonable, that he did not raise his son.

The family in thsi article acknowledges the publicity of this case, and if Tookie is not the father, why would they think that another Stanley Williams would draw so much attention, did they think some random guy would get so much press?
Police Search For A Rape Suspect By Bob Banfield
FONTANA - The search is on for a molestation suspect who is believed to be armed and dangerous. While the latest attack was in Fontana, police say he may well be in the Los Angeles area.

The assault occurred in Fontana on Saturday. Reportedly, the suspect picked up the 13-year-old victim in the north part of the city. He got her into his car. She was an acquaintance of the man.
The suspect is 36-year-old Lafayette Jones. His recent address is Fontana. He is a registered sex offender that worked as a welder.

He raped the 13-year-old female at gunpoint. He was able to lure the female into his car using a story that he was going to take her shopping at a local mall. He got her into the car. He put a gun to her head and forced the victim to commit certain sexual acts upon him.

Fontana Police Sergeant William Megenney said that Jones is the son of Crips street gang co-founder Stanley "Tookie" Williams, convicted killer or four people, awaiting execution on California's death row.
Megenney said, "We were told that Jones was recently out at a rally to support his father and to possibly get the Governor to postpone the execution."
Jones is wanted for numerous charges in addition to the rape. He is possible heading to the Los Angeles area. He recently quit his job.

He is listed as armed and dangerous. The public is asked to call police if they know his whereabouts or have any information on Jones.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=3635018

That's where I got the rally thing. The video link in both articles also mentions this.

SnowmanW/S
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SnowmanW/S » November 27th, 2005, 4:06 pm

End Violence NOW wrote:
FONTANA - Family members of a sexual assault suspect are urging him to surrender to police. Police say Lafayette Jones made a teenage girl perform sex acts in a parking lot in Fontana over the weekend.

We're told Jones is the son of a death row inmate--Stanley "Tookie" Williams, founder of the Crips Street Gang who is set to be executed next month.

The suspect's grandmother, Geneva Hawes, says her grandson doesn't know Williams. She says, "I'm not saying he's not his father, but he did not raise him."

Jones' family is worried the publicity surrounding this case will bring harm to him before he has a chance to surrender.

If you've seen Lafayette Jones, you're asked to call the Fontana Police Department at 909 - 350 - 7720.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=3637509
If Tookie did have a son at age 15 (not saying he did) then the statement that Geneva Hawes made would be reasonable, that he did not raise his son.

The family in thsi article acknowledges the publicity of this case, and if Tookie is not the father, why would they think that another Stanley Williams would draw so much attention, did they think some random guy would get so much press?
Police Search For A Rape Suspect By Bob Banfield
FONTANA - The search is on for a molestation suspect who is believed to be armed and dangerous. While the latest attack was in Fontana, police say he may well be in the Los Angeles area.

The assault occurred in Fontana on Saturday. Reportedly, the suspect picked up the 13-year-old victim in the north part of the city. He got her into his car. She was an acquaintance of the man.
The suspect is 36-year-old Lafayette Jones. His recent address is Fontana. He is a registered sex offender that worked as a welder.

He raped the 13-year-old female at gunpoint. He was able to lure the female into his car using a story that he was going to take her shopping at a local mall. He got her into the car. He put a gun to her head and forced the victim to commit certain sexual acts upon him.

Fontana Police Sergeant William Megenney said that Jones is the son of Crips street gang co-founder Stanley "Tookie" Williams, convicted killer or four people, awaiting execution on California's death row.
Megenney said, "We were told that Jones was recently out at a rally to support his father and to possibly get the Governor to postpone the execution."
Jones is wanted for numerous charges in addition to the rape. He is possible heading to the Los Angeles area. He recently quit his job.

He is listed as armed and dangerous. The public is asked to call police if they know his whereabouts or have any information on Jones.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=3635018

That's where I got the rally thing. The video link in both articles also mentions this.
Any repsonse Alonso????

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » November 28th, 2005, 5:40 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^

I just realized I didn't even explain one of my examples clearly

The family is quoted as saying they are concerned the media attention would negatively affect the man's surrender. I have not seen one news report about this without mentioning "Tookie" and "Crips" explicitly.

How would they know about the media attention to quote on it without realizing that the man's identity was mistaken? If they knew about the media attention, they knew that they thought Tookie was the father. So why did they only say their concern was that attention would stop his surrender and not correct the press's mistake?

And I just realized the fact that they did not want attention may be a motivation to suddenly say that Tookie isn't the father