Nickerson Garden Raids (I been asked to speak on it)

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Nickerson Garden Raids (I been asked to speak on it)

Unread post by wcrockets » January 30th, 2004, 2:41 pm

I feel you on all that. Profound.

I have older black friends that grew up in the projects that don't live there any longer. They tell me they view the projects as a shelter, a place to live temporarily, until you can move out. They tell me the place had influence over them and their mindset when they were there and that changed when they moved out. They say the projects is a different world and those from the projects don't know the world outside until they move out. They also said it can be a trap because there's no real money flowing into the project except what isn't legal.

I've put the word out today with some homies to see what, if any, good Christian resources exist in Watts and Nickerson Gardens as I want to know what they are if they do exist. Whatever I find, I will share with you so you can look into it.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 30th, 2004, 4:57 pm

I am a Muslim, but any help for my community is welcome regardless of what religious ties it may have. Word is appreciated.

Bulls Fan
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Bulls Fan » January 31st, 2004, 9:47 pm

Tatta wrote:With all of the outcry that our communities have been pouring out over the years...with all of the "HEY LOOK AT US" community events and all of the letters that were written requesting attention...this is what Watts gets: a fuckin raid.

The amount of money that was spent on this more than bogus event is enraging to me. I am thoroughly appalled that the money that was spent to "oust" gang members was not spent on community benefitting purposes in some other way. The school lunching programs...reading programs...computer-skill programs...there are 29832084293483294 other things that needed that funding before the police department decided to fund themselves some shiny badge of fuckin honor in this upcoming election period. The blatant act of "gee we cleared the nickerson's of gang members so we should be commended" BS is absolutely grotesque and mind-blowing!!!!! A shiny badge? Was that the goal??

I mean...@$%*...let's keep it real...you and I both know that 90% of the "Notorious Bounty Hunter Gang Members" don't EVEN LIVE in the Nickerson Gardens anymore....yet by name alone the deed was justified as a "sweep"...the nab?? 30 members....friggin pitiful. AND the of the 30 nabbed...I am willing to BET that 90% of them ain't even active like they were at one point and have just been long-term residences with their families in the gardens...older cats even. Sure a few of the lil ruckus-raisers and front line soldiers may have got cracked...but of them 30 niggas??? Nobody "significant" was grabbed and the problem is no where even CLOSE to bein solved....pathetic...pitiful and pathetic...30.
I agree completely with this. These "raids" always come at such a convenient time with LAPD or any police agency. It almost seems like these agencies dont even do their homework before getting into this. Like you said, they probably arrested a bunch of no-namers....but on the "political" paper...it looks great. They need to utilize this money on more housing, helping these "notorious" gang memebrs find jobs, make sure that books in schools in these areas actually get updated. Its sad to see history books that say Reagan is the current president (due to them being so out dated). People arent like a forest fire...you cant fight them with more fire. Especially people in these areas.

You have to change the problem from within. Instead of just neglecting the hood and putting shitty labels on it (thereby severely lowering the real estate value in the outlying areas)...why not help rebuild...put money into that. I mean im still learning about this stuff...(in fact Im in a Methods of Sociological Inquiry class and my research is on the sociology of gangs in southern california) so i may not know how it goes down as far as money getting to the community but something needs to be done.

It comes down to education and reform...not stings and raids.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » February 1st, 2004, 12:18 am

My point exactly Bulls Fan....my point exactly.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » February 2nd, 2004, 5:20 pm

Word came back Tatta. Check PM later today. Peace.