Harbor Gateway gang leader agrees to cease-fire

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » January 17th, 2007, 5:55 pm

Members press for jobs, programs in community in talks with Project Islamic Hope Director Najee Ali
By Larry Altman

Latino gang has agreed to a cease-fire to quell racial violence in Harbor Gateway and allow blacks or members of any other ethnic group to walk and shop freely without fear, activists and gang representatives said Tuesday.
Jonathan O'Gorman, left, talks with Chris aka "Happy" outside a market in Harbor Gateway, where O'Gorman is negotiating a truce.

The truce, negotiated Monday night between gang members and Project Islamic Hope director Najee Ali, calls for politicians and community members to focus on creating jobs, developing a youth mentoring program, building a recreation center and steering working families rather than more unemployed people to subsidized low-income housing.

Gang members also hope their agreement to stem the violence will eliminate the need for a gang injunction that would curtail many of their activities.

"The reason why we are coming up with a truce is we realize a truce will get the community what it needs," said Jonathan O'Gorman, a 16-year member of a Latino gang based on 204th Street. "If there is no truce, we won't get a rec center. We won't get the things on our agenda. We are willing to make sacrifices."

The cease-fire comes in the aftermath of years of intimidating violence that most recently has resulted in the slayings of a 14-year-old black girl and a 34-year-old Latino chef. Neither had any connection to gangs.

Ali said an agreement will be signed Thursday in front of the media outside a market that blacks do not patronize because they are afraid to walk there. Latinos and blacks plan to walk together in unity through the community following the signing.

"The most important thing was they indicated that they would definitely call for an end to the racial violence and they want the community to know they are sincere and their message is directed at the city officials who they feel are trying to scapegoat them for a gang problem that they didn't create," Ali said.

The treaty follows community outrage over the Dec. 15 killing of 14-year-old Cheryl Green at 206th Street and Harvard Boulevard. Cheryl's slaying -- deemed a hate crime by authorities -- provoked several marches against violence, calls for a gang injunction and a police crackdown on gang members as they searched for her killers.

The middle school student was killed, police and prosecutors said, because she was black and standing on the invisible border that separates a primarily Latino neighborhood north of 206th Street with a primarily black neighborhood to the south.

Two Latino gang members are facing murder charges in her killing. In the Dec. 5 shooting death of Arturo Mercado Ponce, no arrests have been made.

O'Gorman, who is of Latino and Irish descent, said he did not condone Cheryl's killing and called her the innocent victim of gang fighting. She was not singled out as a target, he said.

He said his gang is not trying to push blacks from Harbor Gateway and denied that Latinos harass or threaten blacks who walk to the local convenience store.

They can walk wherever they want to walk now," he said. "If they feel more comfortable walking around with that being signed, I hope they feel they can walk where they want. I don't want anyone in the community to feel they can't go where they want to go."

On Tuesday, harbor-district Councilwoman Janice Hahn and colleagues Wendy Greuel and Jan Perry introduced a motion calling for a ballot measure to fund $50 million for gang prevention and intervention programs.

The cease-fire negotiations began Saturday following a rally for peace in Harbor Gateway. Ali, who is black, said he was standing near the Del Amo Market, saw three Latino gang members and walked over to them.

"I was able to say to them that we're not trying to cause any trouble, but we want the violence to end," Ali said.

O'Gorman was receptive, agreeing to meet Monday night at a hamburger restaurant at Del Amo Boulevard and Western Avenue. They spoke for two hours about violence that has occurred "on both sides of the fence," Ali said.

Ultimately, O'Gorman and his two associates agreed to a cease-fire if Ali could help to focus attention on making improvements to their neighborhood. "It's not a gang truce between rival gangs," Ali said. "It's a truce to end the violence by the 204th Street gang. There's no real black gang over there."

O'Gorman, 32, said his gang wants peace, and that government money should be spent helping the community with its needs rather than incarcerating gang members.

"I don't want the community to become like a combat zone," he said. "There are better ways of solving the problems in the neighborhood instead of shooting each other and having almost a martial law. That's not beneficial to the children."

O'Gorman, a father of two who said he earns a six-figure salary working as an air conditioning technician, said the gang injunction sought by residents will not solve the problem. He fears that, under an injunction, veteran gang members with jobs and families will be jailed for merely associating with other gang members.

"The injunction laws are not defined enough to protect those who have changed their mentality. They take people to jail for anything," O'Gorman said.

Los Angeles police Lt. Roger Murphy, who heads the Harbor Division's gang unit, said his officers learned of the cease-fire Tuesday afternoon and had not been involved in the negotiations.

Hahn said she was relieved that the gang had made a commitment to stop the killing, and noted that more resources are beginning to flow into the neighborhood. Officials already are talking about a community center and have broached working with landlords to give them tools to better screen their tenants.

We are increasing police patrols, we are increasing lighting, we are increasing graffiti paint-outs, we are increasing bulky item pickup to get rid of the sofas and chairs," she said.

The councilwoman, however, said she will not back off on support for a gang injunction, citing support for the idea from residents and the police.

"There is enough history and evidence to show there is an organized gang and they are responsible for terrorizing and harassing this community," she said.

Jupebox
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Jo

Unread post by Jupebox » January 17th, 2007, 6:05 pm

It's a start and a postive one at that...

Individual
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Individual » January 17th, 2007, 7:53 pm

man..i dunno

how long can u see this happening??

You know heads are gonna trip

curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by curiousdude06 » January 17th, 2007, 8:03 pm

Individual wrote:man..i dunno

how long can u see this happening??

You know heads are gonna trip
That's what I feel too, this is great news, it all starts at the grassroots level, but you know how these things go. There are bigger fish up the chain, and they're the ones that give the final orders down to the streets. And we all know what happens when the "lower" echelon gangsters go against the wishes of the higher up shot callers.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: vegas

Unread post by tysuave » January 17th, 2007, 9:50 pm

if blacks are in fear move to a naborhood where there are more blacks that type of shit dosent happen in hoods where there are a good number of blacks at and when it does it's on and craccin on both sides all those places where that shit is going on at is majority mexican hoods......

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 18th, 2007, 12:47 am

tysuave wrote:if blacks are in fear move to a naborhood where there are more blacks that type of shit dosent happen in hoods where there are a good number of blacks at and when it does it's on and craccin on both sides all those places where that shit is going on at is majority mexican hoods......
nah, fuck that, we can live where the fuck we want, and should be able to do so without some racist ass punks harassing us. We need the black panthers to come back, but I guess the potential panther soldiers is dumpin on each other and the community instead of protecting it.

oldsschool666

Unread post by oldsschool666 » January 18th, 2007, 11:15 am

"Ultimately, O'Gorman and his two associates agreed to a cease-fire if Ali could help to focus attention on making improvements to their neighborhood. "It's not a gang truce between rival gangs," Ali said. "It's a truce to end the violence by the 204th Street gang. There's no real black gang over there."

WTF! this quote dont sound right

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 18th, 2007, 2:41 pm

if there is no black gang there, ND THEY Mkin a truce with blacks, that means they agreeing to not shoot at civs. for right now...stupid backwards shit.

Individual
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Individual » January 18th, 2007, 4:24 pm

that quote means 208th st aint shit

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 18th, 2007, 4:29 pm

But why would Najee Ali be sayin some shit like that?

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 18th, 2007, 6:30 pm

i don want to start no beef on here or nothin jst answer a short answer n dats it......are the mexicans winnin over the blacks in LA ( that how it seems sometimes in the news )

grape slurpee

Unread post by grape slurpee » January 18th, 2007, 7:09 pm

Mexicans aint winnin shit, lol @ "It's not a gang truce between rival gangs," Ali said. "It's a truce to end the violence by the 204th Street gang. There's no real black gang over there."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by curiousdude06 » January 18th, 2007, 7:48 pm

Yea, it looks like this was nothing of substance from the beginning. People not even involved in the violence were involved in the "truce."

So unfortunately they are back to square one and the violence will continue.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by tysuave » January 18th, 2007, 10:43 pm

Mcminister wrote:i don want to start no beef on here or nothin jst answer a short answer n dats it......are the mexicans winnin over the blacks in LA ( that how it seems sometimes in the news )
That's a good question but how do you judge who's winning, number one there are wayyyyy more mexicans then there are blacks.So Look at it like this where there are a more equal amount of blacks and black gangs do you still have the same problems.....

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 18th, 2007, 10:54 pm

i thought LA ghetto's were all black wat happend since back in the days
yall shudnt have let thm even come close
well who ima to speak i dono shit buot there
my part of my county is 98% black the few guadamalans, el savadorians wont eva F86k with a brotha

cg2006

Unread post by cg2006 » January 19th, 2007, 9:01 am

if niggaz really take a look at shit..its the media thats hyping all that shit up..blacks vs mexicans..thats what they want in la blacks vs mexicans its never anything posistive always negativity..mexicans aint winning shit..especially in the bare knuckle game..

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » January 19th, 2007, 11:24 am

cg2006 wrote:if niggaz really take a look at shit..its the media thats hyping all that shit up..blacks vs mexicans..thats what they want in la blacks vs mexicans its never anything posistive always negativity..mexicans aint winning shit..especially in the bare knuckle game..
Brother, aint none of us(Black and Browns) winning this shit. We both need to get our shit together..

KRDreJ
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KRDreJ » January 19th, 2007, 12:42 pm

in the Harbor Area majority is Mexican...

but for those who are saying niggaz this niggaz tuff we ain't losin...

tell me what is there to win???? killing murdering thats a lot to be proud of...We are killing more hell yeah :roll: get over it grow up..

tecate
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by tecate » January 19th, 2007, 4:26 pm

The media is here to sell newspapers and make ratings. The more they hype shit up and stir the "drama pot", the more money they make. If they really cared, they themselves would invest in community youth athletic centers and after school programs or mentoring youngsters to work at their TV stations! Now that makes sense. But to say this group killed more or this group is afraid to come out on the streets and is scared of so & so is all hype to sell B.S. The only winners in this game is the ones who come up on top by making the money w/ a decent job that pays the bills and funds the college tuition of their fruit so they can be something in the future.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » January 21st, 2007, 1:10 pm

I saw on the news last night that, even after the supposed cease fire, there was another shooting in that area last night. I didn't hear if it was a murder, but they said it was definitely an unprovoked attack on an innocent person.

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by tysuave » January 23rd, 2007, 2:50 pm

I was also watching news last night and I saw a special on cnn about what's been ging on in that area and they interviwed this og sa who dident want to show his face a bitch in my book but he saID that the black in the area need to go back to where that came from I found that verry funny comeing from him and the reporter ask him why he felt like that and he said because of gettoh izim and because black are dirty people lol And that was comeing from a mexican lol see I think what's going on here is mexican gangmembers or takeing it to a whole new level while black gangmembers or still for the most part kepping it on the gangbang level...

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » January 23rd, 2007, 3:50 pm

tysuave wrote:I was also watching news last night and I saw a special on cnn about what's been ging on in that area and they interviwed this og sa who dident want to show his face a bitch in my book but he saID that the black in the area need to go back to where that came from I found that verry funny comeing from him and the reporter ask him why he felt like that and he said because of gettoh izim and because black are dirty people lol And that was comeing from a mexican lol see I think what's going on here is mexican gangmembers or takeing it to a whole new level while black gangmembers or still for the most part kepping it on the gangbang level...
*And this is why black folks will lose this war, because in the back of their mind, they still view the mexican collective as their latent, "darker" brothers and sisters in the struggle, who are ignorant to who the real enemy is: THE WHITE FOLKS! Not only that, the average mexican banger is far more sophisticated than the average black banger, when it comes to what is at stake.

You're right, black gangs are stuck on territory and turf shit, whereas mexican gangs, as I've been saying for years, view that as important too-BUT THEY ALSO HAVE A RACIST AGENDA, TO WHERE IT APPEARS AS IF BLACK FOLKS REALLY HAD NO CLUE ABOUT.

It's time for black folks throughout L.A and So. Cal., to arm themselves, and get ready for another onslaught, while protecting their communities from those within and ESPECIALLY THOSE WITHOUT, WHO WILL TAKE YOU OUT WITHOUT ANY HESITATION, FOR THEY FEEL YOU HAVE NO SOULS!

Remember that when you deal with these racist surs, you're not dealing with a basic gang banger, rather, you're dealing with a person who possesses the mind of a klansmen, a nazi, and the most virulent white racist, we as black people have been taught to be leary of, and/or defiant of.

(And this O'Gorman devil was lying out of his ass, when he said that the young black girl wasn't a target, but rather an innocent victim of gang violence. How can she be AN INNOCENT VICTIM OF GANG VIOLENCE WHEN THERE AREN'T ANY BLACK GANGS IN THAT AREA? This just goes to show you that the sur mentality of gang warfare with their enemies, isn't just at the footsteps of the crips and blood, but rather-THE WHOLE BLACK POPULATION!! Catch what this O'Gorman is saying and read between the lines reeeeeeeaaaaallll carefully. This devil is a deceiver.)

Black folks just have to face the fact that mexicans can be just as racist as white folks, and are no better in that department. Don't be seduced by "cool" mexicans, because for that matter-THERE ARE COOL WHITE FOLKS!!

Again, black folks better truly wake up, and realize what they're dealing with here. I've been blasting this reality for the last coupla years, and folks have been dismissing what I've been saying for the longest, but the longer they diss me, and ignore what I have to say, THE MORE OF WHAT I SAID PREVIOUSLY, IN PRIOR POSTS, ARE COMING TO PAST.

No, I'm not claiming to be a prophet, or anything in that regards, but I damn sure can forecast the times we're living in, and are living in, by checking the social temperature. Again, black folks must prepare for the coming storm, AND WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!!

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by tysuave » January 23rd, 2007, 4:51 pm

I hear what you syaing but for the most part this is a problem withen southren cal ive been in other parts of the country been in jails in other states there or no major problems only in so cal I just came back from texas h town there are alot of mexicans there but there cool over there I now live in vegas no problems here allthough there was a little bit in the north las vegas jail between mexicans and blacks but nothing major I'm from east riverside so for the most part it's just a southren cali problem just gang shit that's getting way out of hand....

tecate
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by tecate » January 23rd, 2007, 5:30 pm

Racist Mexican Gangs "Ethnic Cleansing" Blacks In L.A.
Latino thugs indiscriminately murder blacks regardless of gang membership, genocidal purge aligns with radical Aztlan theology

Prison Planet | January 22, 2007
Paul Joseph Watson

Racist Mexican gangs are indiscriminately targeting blacks who aren't even involved in gang culture, as part of an orchestrated ethnic cleansing program that is forcing black people to flee Los Angeles. The culprit of the carnage is the radical Neo-Nazi liberation theology known as La Raza, which calls for the extermination of all races in America besides Latinos, and is being bankrolled by some of the biggest Globalists in the U.S.

A story carried on the liberal website Alternet , charts an explosion in brutal murders of blacks by Hispanic street gangs in L.A. Far from being gang on gang violence, the Latinos are targeting innocent blacks in accordance with a concerted ethnic cleansing campaign that seeks to eradicate all blacks from Hispanic neighborhoods.

In one instance, 21-year-old Anthony Prudhomme was shot in the face with a .25-caliber semi-automatic while lying on a futon inside his apartment, slain by a Latino gang known as the Avenues as part of a racist terror campaign in which gang members earn "stripes" for each black person they kill.

In one typical case," writes journalist Brentin Mock, "Three members of the Pomona 12 attacked an African-American teenager, Kareem Williams, in his front yard in 2002. When his uncle, Roy Williams, ran to help his nephew, gang member Richard Diaz told him, "!@#$?s have no business living in Pomona because this is 12th Street territory." According to witnesses, Diaz then told the other gang members, "Pull out the gun! Shoot the !@#$?s! Shoot the !@#$?s!"

The fatwah against blacks began in the mid-nineties, with a 1995 LAPD report concluding that Latinos had vowed to "Eradicate black citizens from the gang neighborhood." In a follow up report on the situation in east Los Angeles, the LAPD warned that "Local gangs will attack any black person that comes into the city."

The author notes that since 1990 the African-American population of Los Angeles has halved, partly as a result of rampant illegal immigration and that there are noticeably fewer blacks walking the streets because many have been forced to relocate in fear of the racist gangs.

"The LAPD estimates there are now 22,000 Latino gang members in the city of Los Angeles alone. That's not only more than all the Crips and the Bloods; it's more than all black, Asian, and white gang members combined. Almost all of those Latino gang members in L.A. -- let alone those in other California cities -- are loyal to the Mexican Mafia. Most have been thoroughly indoctrinated with the Mexican Mafia's violent racism during stints in prison, where most gangs are racially based," writes Mock.

Mock blames the "Mexican Mafia" for ordering the campaign of ethnic cleansing from prison, as part of a turf war with the Black Guerilla family, another prison gang, but fails to pinpoint the racist creed from which the Mexican kingpins draw their inspiration - the long standing Aztlan invasion agenda.

Aztlan's goal, known as La reconquista, is to cede and take over the entirety of the southern and western states by any means necessary and impose a Communist militant dictatorship. President Bush's blanket amnesty program goes a long way to helping the extremists achieve their aim.

This shit is getting out of control........ :!:

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » January 24th, 2007, 6:23 am

tysuave wrote:I hear what you syaing but for the most part this is a problem withen southren cal ive been in other parts of the country been in jails in other states there or no major problems only in so cal I just came back from texas h town there are alot of mexicans there but there cool over there I now live in vegas no problems here allthough there was a little bit in the north las vegas jail between mexicans and blacks but nothing major I'm from east riverside so for the most part it's just a southren cali problem just gang shit that's getting way out of hand....
*I hope you're right and I'm wrong, because the same was told to me once by a black person, in the late 80's, about how cool blacks and mexicans are. And guess what? He was referring to So. Cal at the time.

Again, I hope you're right on this one, but I still say black folks ought to prepare for the coming storm...

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » January 24th, 2007, 10:38 am

(Here's another article I got from a chicano website)

Gauging the Gangs

A respected writer spent five years studying the Mexican Mafia. What he discovered will shock even the most seasoned cop.
interview by Brentin Mock

Whenever Tony Rafael leaves home, he carries a .45-caliber handgun nestled in a holster just below his armpit. A Cold Steel Recon-1 knife is stashed elsewhere on his person. Concealed weapons permits are hard to come by in Los Angeles County, but Rafael is a special case.

For the past five years, the respected writer and gang expert -- who uses only the name he writes under in public because of his dangerous work -- has been researching one of the deadliest gangs in America for a nonfiction book he's writing on the Mexican Mafia, or "La Eme"(the Spanish word for the letter 'M'), tentatively titled Southern Soldiers. His sources are of the "L.A. Confidential" variety: prison inmates, gang members past and present, homicide detectives, FBI agents and their informants. He has volunteered for the Los Angeles Police Department, conducting long-term surveillance outside gang hangouts, and has dug up the cases of hundreds of gang members from the county court system to document the bloody swath they've cut across Los Angeles.

One heart-arresting fact the streetwise investigator recently uncovered is that Mexican Mafia leaders have declared a "green light" on African Americans found in neighborhoods claimed by the powerful prison-based gang. This means that members of Latino street gangs affiliated with the La Eme are under orders to harass, assault, and even murder African-Americans, who Mexican Mafia leaders view as sub-human.

The reason for this, Rafael has found, is that a longstanding prison gang war between the Mexican Mafia and the African-American prison gang, Black Guerilla Family, has led to a deep racial loathing between the gangs that has spilled over into the streets of Los Angeles County.

Until now, media coverage of this issue has missed the Mexican Mafia connection by focusing narrowly on the convictions of four members of a single street gang, the Avenues, for violating federal hate crime laws by murdering blacks in the Highland Park neighborhood. According to Rafael and other gang experts, the problem is far more pervasive.

Rafael sat down with the Intelligence Report in his Los Angeles office in October to discuss the shocking truths he found about the Mexican Mafia and how its leaders have ordered Latino gangs outside the prisons to sow terror among African Americans.

INTELLIGENCE REPORT: How did you find out about the Mexican Mafia's policy of racist violence against blacks?

TONY RAFAEL: I've been researching for a book on the Mexican Mafia that will be published next year. I became aware of this as a result of that research, and it was a shock. I knew the Mexican Mafia collected taxes [from street gangs], but I didn't realize they had initiated a policy of ethnic cleansing. This comes from the top. This comes from the shot callers. The guy who issued the order to the Avenues [one of many Mexican Mafia-controlled street gangs] to get rid of all blacks was a guy by the name of Alex "Pee Wee" Aguirre. Aguirre is a made man in the Mexican Mafia, he came from the Avenues originally, and he's currently serving a life term at a federal penitentiary in Marion, Ill.

IR: And this truly amounts to a policy of "ethnic cleansing"?

RAFAEL: Absolutely. There's no doubt about it. These cases are scary. Take [Latino gang member] Frank Limón -- he shot a black male named Eric Green. Green and a friend of his were stopped at a stop sign on 11th Street and Pomona [in Pomona], and Limón just came up to him and shot him in the head, wounding him severely. Green is partially paralyzed, he's developed cognitive disorders, and he walks slowly, because the bullet is lodged in his brain and can't be removed.
Limón grew up next to black families in the neighborhood. He and Green knew each other and had no problems with each other personally. In fact, Limón used to go to Green's birthday parties when they were kids. But a week after Limón was jumped into the Pomona 12 [street gang], he started shooting at black kids because the Mexican Mafia had "green lighted" all blacks in the neighborhood. And when you click up with a gang that's loyal to the Mexican Mafia, the Mexican Mafia comes before God, your family, and your friends going all the way back to childhood. When they tell you to do something, you gotta do it.

IR: Why would the gangs take up this kind of race war?

RAFAEL: Well, to understand the background to these racial shootings and homicides you need to first understand some background on how the Mexican Mafia operates. They're primarily a prison gang, like the Black Guerilla Family and Aryan Brotherhood. What the Mexican Mafia has been able to do is project power outside of the prison system. There are only about 250 to 300 Mexican Mafia members in the California prison system that are fully validated ["made"] members, but what I compare them to are the generals and colonels of an army out on the streets. Everything south of Bakersfield is considered a Mexican Mafia stronghold, basically what you call sureños, or "south-siders."
Those sureños are obliged, whether they like it or not, to swear allegiance to the Mexican Mafia. If you're a little gang member in Avenues [the name of a Los Angeles neighborhood, as well as the gang that operates there] or Conoga Park and you're dealing in drugs, or some other illegal activity, you have to pay the Mexican Mafia a street tax. If you're dealing dope, you gotta buy your dope from the Mexican Mafia, you sell it and once you sell it you owe them a percentage of your profits.
In southern California, the Mexican Mafia and the [other] Hispanic street gangs have achieved what I call complete vertical integration. Say there's a little gang member who'll get arrested, he'll go to prison, and the minute he lands in prison they give him what they call the "X Files," the rules and regulations of the Mexican Mafia.
For example, one of those rules is that, if you're on a tier, if you're in the number one or the last cell in the tier, and you're celled up with another Mexican, one of you two has to stay awake at all times. That's the rules, so no one will sneak up on you. Also, the bloqueros, the guys in charge of the cell block, they have to collect from everyone on the tier and kick up to the Mexican Mafia leaders. They control the county jails and the state prison system. And because they control the jails and the prisons, they control the streets, because if you're an independent and you say, "Screw you. I don't wanna pay my taxes," they will either get you on the street -- they green light you and kill you, assault you, whatever they wanna do -- or they catch you when you enter the prison system.
You have to understand, these gang members are looking to go to jail or prison. They expect it. To them, it's just an extension of the streets. All their friends are there, their family's there, all their ol' homies from growing up in the 'hood, they're all there. But if they want to remain a part of that culture, and if they want to be under the Mexican Mafia's protection, they have to obey the Mexican Mafia's rules and follow their orders, inside and outside the penal system.

IR: And why do those orders include terrorizing and killing blacks?

RAFAEL: They don't want blacks in their neighborhoods. They say it makes their neighborhood look bad.
It started with the Mexican Mafia ordering street gangs to cleanse themselves of black members, before they moved on to cleansing neighborhoods. For example, the 18th Street gang, this was a [MacArthur Park neighborhood] gang that had blacks and Hispanics in it for a long time, up until about 10 years ago, when the Mexican Mafia leaders told the 18th Street, "If you don't want to get green-lighted, get all the blacks out of your gang." They had to go. Before that, the 18th Street gang was an equal opportunity employer. But the Mexican Mafia said, "We can't have it, can't have blacks in our gangs."
The way I hear these knuckleheads tell it, they don't want their neighborhoods infested with blacks, as if it's an infestation. It's just pure racial animosity that manifests itself in a policy of a major criminal organization.

IR: Does the Mexican Mafia have the same policy toward whites or Asians?

RAFAEL: No. In fact, in the California prison system the Aryan Brotherhood and the Mexican Mafia have made an alliance to gang up against the Black Guerilla Family. It's common knowledge in the prison system that if there's a fight between a Mexican Mafia member and a black inmate, and there aren't enough Mexican Mafia guys to jump on his side, the Aryans are supposed to jump in on his side. This is an alliance that goes back 20 years. The Mexican Mafia and the Aryan Brotherhood have a mutual racial hatred for blacks.

IR: The Avenues killings and the Avenues gang have been getting all the media attention recently, but there are a lot of other street gangs loyal to the Mexican Mafia. How many of them also target blacks?

RAFAEL: All of them. What happened in the Avenues is happening all over southern California. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's happening throughout all of Los Angeles, or that there's policy to drive blacks out of the entire metropolitan area, but it's certainly happening in all the areas where the Mexican Mafia and their allied gangs feel they have control.
For example, they don't control Beverly Hills or the west side of Los Angeles. But places like [the Los Angeles neighborhood of] Highland Park, very strong presence. Pomona, very strong. West and north San Fernando Valley, extremely strong. And these are places where you don't see many blacks living in the first place, so wherever the Mexican Mafia has a very strong or extremely strong presence, the blacks who live there are going to have problems. The federal government is aware of this, and the decision to prosecute the Avenues using federal hate crime laws came from the highest levels of the U.S. Attorney's office. They were basically using the Avenues case to send a message to the Mexican Mafia leaders, to say, "This is not going to happen."

IR: And are those gang leaders getting the message?

RAFAEL: They got it, but they don't care. It's not like their reaction has been, "Message heard, okay, we're gonna back off." One week before the [Avenues federal hate crimes trial] ended, another black kid was killed by the Avenues 43.

IR: What level of truth is there to the rumor that Bloods and Crips are going to start carrying out similar racial attacks on Latinos as a form of revenge?

RAFAEL: It's already happening. There was one case in the Avenues already where three [Latino] family members were shot and killed by two black guys with AK-47s. The victims were civilians, not gang members. The killers rolled up on them in central Avenues, opened up on them with the AKs, then, after the [Latino] guys were down, the [black gang members] walked up and shot them in the back. It was coup de grâce, assassination, pure-out assassination. So, yes, unfortunately, it's started.

IR: Some people who live in Highland Park point out that many of these killings [of blacks] happened years ago, and that it was a relatively small problem caused by a relatively small group. But you're saying this is still a big problem today, in more areas than just Highland Park?

RAFAEL: Absolutely. It's not like if you're black they're definitely going to shoot you on sight if they only see you once in Highland Park. However, if you move there, like [2000 murder victim] Anthony Prudhomme, and they see you going in and out of your house all the time, or you start hanging out there regularly, like [2001 murder victim] Christopher Bowser, sitting in front of a bus bench with your boom box, yeah, you'll have problems.

IR: You think that was a cultural thing with Bowser, them not liking a black man imposing on their public space with noise from his boom box?

RAFAEL: I think the boom box just made him stick out more. They just didn't want Bowser hanging out there, period, because he was black. He had been beaten up and robbed before and called the usual epithets. The [1999 murder victim] Kenneth Wilson case, though, was weirder. Wilson didn't even live in Highland Park. He was just visiting a friend of his, and he went out to move his car because it was parked illegally, blocking somebody's driveway, and he had the random misfortune of coming across one of the four most vicious guys there are, [Avenues gang member Gilbert "Lucky"] Saldana.
Saldana is an outright racist. He's the one who uttered the infamous words, "Wanna kill a nigger?" before Wilson was shot. And Wilson was targeted at random. He was just parking his car when these guys went out looking to kill a black guy. He was totally innocent.

IR: Let's say a member of a street gang under the Mexican Mafia's authority obeys all the other rules and pays his taxes, but when it comes to terrorizing blacks, he says, "Look, I have no problem with black people just for being black, so I don't want to do this," does he have that kind of wiggle room?

RAFAEL: No.

IR: So then, if he carries out an assault or a killing because he's under racist orders, even though he's not a racist himself, is that still truly a hate crime, or is it more accurately described as a gang hit?

RAFAEL: The guys prosecuted in the [federal] Avenues case, there was nobody holding a gun to their head. They went out looking for blacks to kill to earn stripes, and to curry favor and to bring up their status with the Mexican Mafia. They may have hated blacks and been down with killing blacks to begin with, or they may have just said, "To show you I'm with the program, I'll go out and do what I gotta do." But the end result is the same, and it's really at a basic level driven by the same sort of racial purity theories as nut groups like the KKK.

IR: Are there really any theories or ideology to the Mexican Mafia's racism, or is it just disorganized, visceral hatred?

RAFAEL: The Mexican Mafia derives inspiration and ethnic pride from the concept of La Raza (Spanish, in this context, for "The Race"), as well as from the Aztec, Aztlan movement. And this goes way back. There was a Mexican Mafia shot caller back in the 1970s named Rudolph Cheyenne Cardena, and before he was killed by rival Mexican gang members in 1978 or 1977, Cardena saw the Mexican Mafia the way George Jackson [a prominent member of the original Black Panther Party who founded the Black Guerilla Family] saw the black prison movement. He wanted to change the Mexican Mafia into a political, socially active movement, and what he used for inspiration was the Aztec culture. He taught himself Nahuatl [the ancient language of the Aztecs], started teaching it to all the other homies. In fact, to this day they still use Nahuatl to send coded messages to one another -- these kinds of three level-coded messages. You have to know the code, and then Nahuatl and so on. And one of the symbols of the Mexican Mafia is the Aztec worship [symbol].

They've brought in the Aztec heritage as part of their philosophical inspiration, and there are no black people in the Aztec culture. La Raza comes first to these guys. They see themselves as a race unto themselves, and there's really not too much room for anybody else.

oldsschool666

Unread post by oldsschool666 » January 24th, 2007, 5:18 pm

grape slurpee wrote:Mexicans aint winnin shit, lol @ "It's not a gang truce between rival gangs," Ali said. "It's a truce to end the violence by the 204th Street gang. There's no real black gang over there."

BS there are black gangs fool

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 24th, 2007, 9:38 pm

oldsschool666 wrote:
grape slurpee wrote:Mexicans aint winnin shit, lol @ "It's not a gang truce between rival gangs," Ali said. "It's a truce to end the violence by the 204th Street gang. There's no real black gang over there."

then why is that ese gang overlooking them to blast 14 year old girls?

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » January 25th, 2007, 7:52 am

perongregory wrote:
oldsschool666 wrote:

*Haven't you realized yet, that this is how the surs of the 21st Century roll?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 25th, 2007, 3:02 pm

TheReal wrote:
perongregory wrote:
oldsschool666 wrote:

Thereal, you don't have to lecture me, my moms lives in Highland Park. Try tellin these black bangers who supposedly protect they hoods.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » January 26th, 2007, 4:49 am

TheReal wrote:
tysuave wrote:I hear what you syaing but for the most part this is a problem withen southren cal ive been in other parts of the country been in jails in other states there or no major problems only in so cal I just came back from texas h town there are alot of mexicans there but there cool over there I now live in vegas no problems here allthough there was a little bit in the north las vegas jail between mexicans and blacks but nothing major I'm from east riverside so for the most part it's just a southren cali problem just gang shit that's getting way out of hand....
*I hope you're right and I'm wrong, because the same was told to me once by a black person, in the late 80's, about how cool blacks and mexicans are. And guess what? He was referring to So. Cal at the time.

Again, I hope you're right on this one, but I still say black folks ought to prepare for the coming storm...
TheReal do you feel as a whole all whites are enemies, i thought i remember you sayin some pretty chill stuff?

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » January 26th, 2007, 4:50 am

perongregory wrote:
TheReal wrote:
perongregory wrote:
oldsschool666 wrote:

Thereal, you don't have to lecture me, my moms lives in Highland Park. Try tellin these black bangers who supposedly protect they hoods.
Foreal your moms lives there? How does she get along there? Not that im expectin her to be dodging bullets an all everyday.