Jamiel Shaws parents sue LA County.

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
youayntfresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Jamiel Shaws parents sue LA County.

Unread post by youayntfresh » May 11th, 2009, 5:10 pm

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_12343566

Family members of slain youth sue L.A. County
Daily News Wire Services
Posted: 05/11/2009 10:04:15 AM PDT
Updated: 05/11/2009 12:37:04 PM PDT

Relatives of a 17-year-old youth slain by an undocumented immigrant -- sparking an unsuccessful drive to put what became known as "Jamiel's Law" on the city ballot -- have sued the county for wrongful death.

The lawsuit was filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court by Jamiel and Anita Shaw, the parents of the late Jamiel Shaw II. The deceased teen's brother, Thomas Shaw, also is a plaintiff.

They family members name as defendants the county, Sheriff Lee Baca and their son's alleged killer, Pedro Espinoza.

The relatives also are alleging negligence, violation of the Immigration and Nationality Act and deprivation of civil rights. They are seeking unspecified damages.

Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for Baca, said he had not seen the lawsuit and declined to comment.

Shaw, a Los Angeles High School football player, was shot and killed in March 2008, allegedly by Espinoza, an alleged gang member who was in the country illegally.

According to the lawsuit, deputies negligently released Espinoza from jail on March 1, 2008, despite knowing he was "a dangerous felon and an immigration violator."

Shaw was shot at 8:30 p.m. a day later in the 2100 block of 5th Avenue while talking with his girlfriend on the phone two doors from his home.

The lawsuit also alleges that Espinoza, a Latino, targeted Shaw because he is black.

The 20-year-old Espinoza, who is charged with murder, is scheduled to be arraigned June 30.

"Jamiel's Law" would have given Los Angeles police officers the right to arrest undocumented gang members before they commit crimes. However, supporters of the measure did not obtain enough signatures to place the measure on the May city election ballot.

Since 1979, the Los Angeles Police Department has operated under Special Order 40, which prevents officers from initiating contact with suspects for the sole purpose of inquiring about their immigration status. The policy was implemented so undocumented residents could report crimes and cooperate with police without fear of being deported.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think these people just dont know when to quit.He was obviously a gang member,not gang affiliated but a gang member.His parents really think he was targeted because the color of his skin.18 doesnt claim 13,they are Surenos though.There are a couple of blacks in 18.This is something that really bothers me but hey w/e.

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Jamiel Shaws parents sue LA County.

Unread post by HiloBoy » May 11th, 2009, 5:36 pm

I remember hearing about this in the news...

I think I saw some pics of him throwing signs and wearing red and such...

I wonder how his parents are going to explain that...

SouljahGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LA

Unread post by SouljahGirl » May 11th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Interesting..

youayntfresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by youayntfresh » May 11th, 2009, 7:02 pm

HiloBoy wrote:I remember hearing about this in the news...

I think I saw some pics of him throwing signs and wearing red and such...

I wonder how his parents are going to explain that...

They did.He said one of them was hang loose and the other was Star Trek.

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » May 11th, 2009, 7:15 pm

OMG, LOL

It is sad when parents are blind to their kids evil doings...

youayntfresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by youayntfresh » May 11th, 2009, 9:04 pm

HiloBoy wrote:OMG, LOL

It is sad when parents are blind to their kids evil doings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8RwUXPrils

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » May 12th, 2009, 1:09 am

youayntfresh wrote:I think these people just dont know when to quit.He was obviously a gang member,not gang affiliated but a gang member.His parents really think he was targeted because the color of his skin.18 doesnt claim 13,they are Surenos though.There are a couple of blacks in 18.This is something that really bothers me but hey w/e.
Yup.

It's getting ridiculous now. It's like his parents are now trying to milk their son's death by suing for money.

B.I.P TO MY ACKTIVE YG DUCE WILD
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=31549360

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » May 13th, 2009, 9:59 am

Well his parents might be right about the Star Trek Hand Sign... that’s not Rollin 20s Bloods he’s flashing.

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » May 13th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Iʻm not trying to drag this cats name through the mudd but come on now, this cat GOT CAUGHT SLIPPIN!!

I read a little on his story and by all accounts (except his parents) this dude was claiming and paid the price...

On his myspace it said "SABG" (Second Ave Blood Gang), Ek (Eighteen Killers) 30K (Rolling 30 Killers)...

End of story, end of discussion...

Lets call a spade a spade...

He was claiming the 20ʻs, got caught by a rival gang, and ended up dead...

Maybe he wasnt a full fledged bona fide banging ass cat, but he did sport red and he knew what that meant...

I had read online that when he died he was sporting red belt, shoelaces, etc.
Heck if I was in that neighborhood, I would wear yellow and pink!!

it is just sad that his parents can due so much more and warn others and use his likeness to help others but instead they are pitting a city/police force against their sons image...

youayntfresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by youayntfresh » May 13th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Tre wrote:Image

Well his parents might be right about the Star Trek Hand Sign... that’s not Rollin 20s Bloods he’s flashing.

That Blood Stone Villians..Lets say that was Star Trek.There a quite a lot of photos of him flashing gang signs.
Attachments
jamielblood.jpg
jamielblood.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 5363 times

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » May 13th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Im from Hawaii and we use that hand sign to throw the "shaka"...

No one calls it "hang loose" EXCEPT 1970ʻs hippie white people...

And for his parents to say that he was throwin "hang loose"....BS!!

I never seen a local or haole throw the shaka w/ a red rag covering their mouth...lol

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » May 13th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I guess the T on his hat stands for "Trek".

Jinky08
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Glesga

Unread post by Jinky08 » May 13th, 2009, 6:24 pm

AllhoodPublications wrote:I guess the T on his hat stands for "Trek".
LOL

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » May 13th, 2009, 6:46 pm

"Live long and prosper"...Star Trek

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » May 14th, 2009, 2:40 am

Just because you have a red rag covering your mouth doesn’t make you no gangbanger. What he’s wearing is standard attire in many black hoods that border sureno hoods… especially with that swine flu shit going around.

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » May 14th, 2009, 9:27 am

All jokes aside... it was a tragic situation what happened to Jamiel and our prayers go out to his parents! On the flip-side though, parents should be more aware of what their kids are wearing and flashing. I think Jamiel was a victim of circumstance and just got caught up!

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » May 14th, 2009, 11:49 am

Tre wrote:What he’s wearing is standard attire in many black hoods that border sureno hoods… especially with that swine flu shit going around.

lol

HIGHINSP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: kush county

Unread post by HIGHINSP » May 14th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Coup wrote:
Tre wrote:What he’s wearing is standard attire in many black hoods that border sureno hoods… especially with that swine flu shit going around.

lol
shit...the colored man needs to worry about jungle fever...not the swine flu

youayntfresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by youayntfresh » May 14th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Tre wrote:Just because you have a red rag covering your mouth doesn’t make you no gangbanger. What he’s wearing is standard attire in many black hoods that border sureno hoods… especially with that swine flu shit going around.

Are you being sarcastic?

Besides the swine flu happened after he was shot.

youayntfresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by youayntfresh » May 14th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Tre wrote:All jokes aside... it was a tragic situation what happened to Jamiel and our prayers go out to his parents! On the flip-side though, parents should be more aware of what their kids are wearing and flashing. I think Jamiel was a victim of circumstance and just got caught up!

His parents should ask him why is he buying al these red clothes,red belts,and red laces.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California

Unread post by alexalonso » May 16th, 2009, 7:58 pm

I wrote an article last year stating that the City of LA had nothing to do with the killing of Jamiel Shaw, and they blamed Special Order 40, a City of LA ordinance. I also stated that the County had Pedro Espinoza in custody, so either the County was negligent for releasing him, or the Federal Govt was for not placing a hold. If the Feds opted to not hold him because he had been in the US since he was 3 years old, then the County did nothing wrong. The County is not in the business of deporting people so they have no choice but to deport.

Interesting flip from pointing the finger at the City to now pointing it at the County.

youayntfresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by youayntfresh » May 17th, 2009, 12:19 pm

alexalonso wrote:I wrote an article last year stating that the City of LA had nothing to do with the killing of Jamiel Shaw, and they blamed Special Order 40, a City of LA ordinance. I also stated that the County had Pedro Espinoza in custody, so either the County was negligent for releasing him, or the Federal Govt was for not placing a hold. If the Feds opted to not hold him because he had been in the US since he was 3 years old, then the County did nothing wrong. The County is not in the business of deporting people so they have no choice but to deport.

Interesting flip from pointing the finger at the City to now pointing it at the County.

Exactly.

buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LBxC

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » May 29th, 2009, 12:13 pm

alexalonso wrote: If the Feds opted to not hold him because he had been in the US since he was 3 years old, then the County did nothing wrong. The County is not in the business of deporting people so they have no choice but to deport.
If this were the case then why are we still deporting documented Cambodians, with permanent residency, living in the states since they were 1-2 years old for crimes committed 5+ years ago?
There's been a law in place for a few years now to deport any non-US citizen, documented or not, if they commit just about any crime ranging from petty theft to attempted murder. It is also retroactive so any and all crimes committed by a non-US citizen before the law was passed still allows for them to be deported.

Knowing this I doubt the Fed would opt to release him simply based on the fact he'd been in the US since he was 3. I'm also sure LA county of all places knows and understands this law and even if they released him due to lack of the overcrowding in the County's jail(s) that would still make them negligent in some way, no?

And to be clear, I'm not trying to say the family is in the right by suing the county, I mean, you know the name of the game before you start to play and accept the way its played.