Reports offer grim forecast for young black men

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » April 8th, 2006, 8:19 pm

New studies find them falling further out of labor force, mainstream society

By Michael E. Ross

Young African-American men, such as these inmates at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic, Calif., are part of a picture of continuing despair for many young black American men, according to new books.

At a time when the U.S. economy is on the upswing and more people are finding work, young African American men are falling further behind.

That’s the grim portrait painted by three new and forthcoming books by scholars at Columbia, Georgetown and Princeton universities. The picture isn't new, but the depths of its despair and pathology are.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates there are about 5 million black men in America between the ages of 20 and 39. The new books, and an earlier one from Harvard, find them losing ground in mainstream American society, despite advances made by black women, presumably part of the same socioeconomic experience.

This vexing problem, caused by a variety of social ills, is equally vexing when scholars consider what causes it.

Among the studies' findings:

* Rates of imprisonment for young black men escalated throughout the 1990s and continued climbing well into the current decade. About 16 percent of black men in their twenties who were not college students were either in jail or in prison.

* African Americans are seven times more likely to go to prison or jail than whites.

* Almost 60 percent of black male high school dropouts in their early thirties have spent time in prison.

* The percentage of young jobless black men continues to increase, part of a trend that generally hasn't abated in decades. In 2000, about 65 percent of black male high-school dropouts had no jobs, either because they couldn't find work or because they were in jail. By 2004, the studies found that number had grown to 72 percent. The numbers for young black men were higher than for whites and Hispanics similarly affected.

Making matters worse, a forthcoming book, which includes a study of nearly 1,500 private employers in New York City, found that black job applicants with no criminal records weren't any more likely to get a job than white applicants who were just out of prison.

Persistence of imbalance
“A lot of people are skeptical that African Americans still face discrimination in the job market. But even in a diverse city like New York, the evidence of discrimination is unmistakable,” said Devah Pager, a Princeton sociology professor, in announcing “Punishment and Inequality in America,” to be published in June.

“The 1990s were an eye-opener,” said Harry Holzer, a professor of public policy at Georgetown University. “You had the strongest labor market in 30 years; all things being equal, those were good times for African Americans. A lot of black moms were entering the labor market, but the dads kept dropping out.”

Holzer's new book, "Reconnecting Disadvantaged Young Men,” was co-written with two other scholars. The third book is “Black Males Left Behind,” edited by Columbia University professor Ronald B. Mincy. A 2004 book, “ Dropouts in America,” found similarly dire circumstances for young black men.

One problem, many causes
Holzer sees many reasons for the bleak situation: unemployment, enduring bias in American life, the disproportionate impact of the war on drugs.

“When you look at what’s responsible, there’s a lot of stories," he said. "The labor market changed a lot. There was a disappearance of good jobs for less educated men. For blacks you have continuing problems of discrimination, job flight from the cities."

“The worst employment problems are in the Northeast areas — Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, the Rust Belt cities where a generation ago black men relied on heavy manufacturing. The fraction of black men in heavy manufacturing has dropped precipitously,” Holzer said.

“Those areas are also among the most racially segregated in the country. It might not just be the disappearance of those jobs — some of the work got outsourced — but also the disappearance of the quality of schools and neighborhoods left behind."

Holzer also cited state child-support systems and more aggressive enforcement of laws against “deadbeat dads,” late or delinquent on support payments.

But for Holzer, the biggest problem is the large number of imprisoned men. “When you have a system where one-third of African American men are in the criminal justice system, you’re going to have problems.”

He says solutions will be rooted in education and employment. “I think we need to emphasize three broad approaches: first, a range of education, training and youth development, especially in middle school and high school, to prevent boys from disconnecting and to prepare them for the labor market.''

“Then we need to improve their financial incentives to accept lower-wage jobs by raising the minimum wage and extending the earned income tax credit to low-income childless adults, especially if they pay child support," Holzer said. "And we should address the specific problems faced by ex-offenders and non-custodial fathers as they attempt to enter the labor market.”

‘Self-fulfilling prophecy’
Otherwise, Holzer senses the persistence of a chilling condition among young black American men, what might be called pre-emptive despair.

“You see this disconnection problem, with young boys in their adolescent years starting to drift away,” he said.

“The girls are graduating more. But it's almost as if these young boys look down the road and sense a bleak future and they disconnect early — a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Reports offer grim forecast for young black men

Unread post by 'X' » April 8th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Michael E. Ross from above article wrote:
Making matters worse, a forthcoming book, which includes a study of nearly 1,500 private employers in New York City, found that black job applicants with no criminal records weren't any more likely to get a job than white applicants who were just out of prison.

I recall a perticular brutha("BMOH", whom was unjustly banned) on here stating the same fact as above, but many on here couldn't invision, understand, comprehend, or except some of the truths that brutha"BMOH" was saying.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » April 8th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Im black, and already an area manager at Best Buy (Babylon) and im only 20... just keep truckin. Its funny, and O' so Ironic, that all 14 of my associates are WHITE and almost double my age and I am there boss, a black man fresh out of his teens. Whatever you posted above is straight BS. If a 6'6 Dreadlocked Jamaican can make it, Anybody can make it.

whoknows
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by whoknows » April 9th, 2006, 10:19 am

^^^^o.k. suburbia :roll:

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » April 9th, 2006, 10:35 am

1 out of 100 don't mean shit. But even though you face adversity, don't give up. It's true you gotta keep truckin or we all gonna fall off. Put your faith in god, Yhwh, Allah, etc. and go for it. Thats the only one looking out for us and making sure that no matter the hell we going through, there's always gonna be some of us to make it.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » April 9th, 2006, 10:48 am

perongregory wrote: 1 out of 100 don't mean shit.
Exactly, I think the point flew right over bruthas head though...
I think alot of our people who have individual success seemed to be happy that he or she is "making it", but if the masses of our people are facing these "adversities" or "obstacles" there should be no happiness with the select few who have achieved some kind of success.. And those of us who brag about how "well" they are doing normally are working for some company not owned by us and if that company folds, or terminate you, you just may be in the same situation described above in the article that you many think is bs...

perongregory wrote: But even though you face adversity, don't give up. It's true you gotta keep truckin or we all gonna fall off. Put your faith in god, Yhwh, Allah, etc. and go for it. Thats the only one looking out for us and making sure that no matter the hell we going through, there's always gonna be some of us to make it.
Agree...

whoknows wrote: o.k. suburbia :roll:

:lol:

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » April 9th, 2006, 3:08 pm

whoknows wrote:^^^^o.k. suburbia :roll:
great one liner you have their :roll:

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » April 9th, 2006, 3:36 pm

BlaKK wrote:Im black, and already an area manager at Best Buy (Babylon) and im only 20... just keep truckin. Its funny, and O' so Ironic, that all 14 of my associates are WHITE and almost double my age and I am there boss, a black man fresh out of his teens. Whatever you posted above is straight BS. If a 6'6 Dreadlocked Jamaican can make it, Anybody can make it.
he wanted a job and he got one and climbed the ladder. if you want a job you can get one. that's all i am saying.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 9th, 2006, 3:57 pm

BlaKK wrote:Im black, and already an area manager at Best Buy (Babylon) and im only 20... just keep truckin. Its funny, and O' so Ironic, that all 14 of my associates are WHITE and almost double my age and I am there boss, a black man fresh out of his teens. Whatever you posted above is straight BS. If a 6'6 Dreadlocked Jamaican can make it, Anybody can make it.
Dang. Manager at 20? That's crazy

Much success to you, I'm sure at that pace you'll move up real quick in the business world :)

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 9th, 2006, 4:47 pm

O shoot it's in the news!!

<a href="http://whoknows.isgay.com/" target="_blank">CLICK HERE</a>

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » April 9th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Whoknows, this 'suburbia' you speak of??? You dont even know me like that... So be easy... Talkin about 'suburbia' yea now I live in the suburbs, but back then, shit, I aint even gonna speak on it. But assume Not. Because you know not.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » April 9th, 2006, 8:41 pm

EVN - I'm just me... wrote:

AH HA HA HA HA!!

"the suspect threatened to strike an officer with a rubber dildo." :lol: :lol:

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » April 9th, 2006, 9:01 pm

BlaKK wrote:Whoknows, this 'suburbia' you speak of??? You dont even know me like that... So be easy... Talkin about 'suburbia' yea now I live in the suburbs, but back then, shit, I aint even gonna speak on it. But assume Not. Because you know not.
Riverside has its share of funk in any event.

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » April 9th, 2006, 9:13 pm

lol where did you find that?

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » April 9th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Old Shatterhand wrote:
BlaKK wrote:Whoknows, this 'suburbia' you speak of??? You dont even know me like that... So be easy... Talkin about 'suburbia' yea now I live in the suburbs, but back then, shit, I aint even gonna speak on it. But assume Not. Because you know not.
Riverside has its share of funk in any event.
I think I even saw them on COPS one time...

whoknows
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by whoknows » April 10th, 2006, 12:46 am

look i got at ya cause u tryin to discredit shit X post and callin it b/s when its not. what's BS is that u tellin brotha's that if u can make it anybody can, which is a lie. not all of is going to make, don't u know that the hating is so bad by these white folks that when ever we turn in some paper work they are looking at our phone numbers, zipcodes and names and determining that we are black and denying us shit because of that. what's bull shit is that we have brothers that make it and become black managers like your self but they ain't hiring other brothers. u is talking about u are a manager with all these white people under u but where are the brothers? why u ain't hired none?

you need 2 get out yo soap box, and get back to reality.

we get enough hating from white people, we don't need it from other brothers too.

whoknows
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by whoknows » April 10th, 2006, 12:49 am

lol look at this christian..... god is watching u.....

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » April 10th, 2006, 1:00 am

move out of the ghetto bro.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 10th, 2006, 1:09 am

whoknows wrote:don't u know that the hating is so bad by these white folks that when ever we turn in some paper work they are looking at our phone numbers, zipcodes and names and determining that we are black and denying us shit because of that.
Either you're mad paranoid or ignorant.

Phone numbers and names determine you're black?

Ya okay.

You realize Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, and Compton all share the 310 area code?

You realize anyone could name their kid anything?

I know a black family whose last name was "Whiteside." I repeat, WHITEside lol

I know a white girl name Shanika.

Besides knowing for a fact or seeing you in person, you can't determine being black from the things you listed.
If anything, it's easy to tell Asians. Try applying as "Jang Yu Lee" and not have people know right away you're Asian lol (not my name by the way, but a common one regardless)

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 10th, 2006, 1:10 am

whoknows wrote:

lol look at this christian..... god is watching u.....
lol I didn't write that by the way, I just found it, it's an automatic script

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » April 10th, 2006, 1:12 am

i don't know about area codes and such, but they did a report and it stated blacks with more ethnic sounding names (basically ghetto names), were more likely to be turned down than blacks with "regular" names ,e.g., james, jon,bob, etc.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 10th, 2006, 1:31 am

perongregory wrote:i don't know about area codes and such, but they did a report and it stated blacks with more ethnic sounding names (basically ghetto names), were more likely to be turned down than blacks with "regular" names ,e.g., james, jon,bob, etc.
What determines "ethnic" and "regular" and can you post a link or something?

Actually I just want to see what they consider "ethnic" lol would be fun to see

I.E. James is Hebrew/Jewish, so is John and Jonathan, a lot of "English" names are from another ethnicity, in this case Jews in the Bible

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » April 10th, 2006, 2:02 am

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_97873146

http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/2 ... 25fnp2.asp

http://www.allbusiness.com/periodicals/ ... 763-1.html

http://diversity.monster.com/afam/articles/name/

There's alot of stuff on this. Try searching the plausibility of what some of these black people say (they're not all paranoid). Don't just decide to side with the racists ("blame eschewers") because you want things to be a certain way. And yes, many English names can be traced back to Hebrew, but the average person doesn't know the etymoplogy of the names, so it's irrevelant that you and me know this.

whoknows
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by whoknows » April 10th, 2006, 2:52 am

whoknows wrote:don't u know that the hating is so bad by these white folks that when ever we turn in some paper work they are looking at our phone numbers, zipcodes and names and determining that we are black and denying us shit because of that.

Ya okay.

You realize Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, and Compton all share the 310 area code?

Besides knowing for a fact or seeing you in person, you can't determine being black from the things you listed.
If anything, it's easy to tell Asians. Try applying as "Jang Yu Lee" and not have people know right away you're Asian lol (not my name by the way, but a common one regardless)
judas u seriously need to stop... u keep trying to prove me wrong but it ain't working....

here biatch....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/09/ ... 5685.shtml

http://lasvegas.about.com/cs/relocation ... rhoods.htm

http://www.nhi.org/online/issues/116/Novek.html

now go sit in the corner u dunce....

whoknows
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by whoknows » April 10th, 2006, 3:02 am

judas, i ain't talking about area codes on phone numbers either dumb ass...

also peep some the stuff perongregory posted he provided some good info...

as a matter of fact judas just stop replying to anything i post cause u an ignorant fuck...

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 10th, 2006, 1:06 pm

perongregory wrote:http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_97873146

http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/2 ... 25fnp2.asp

http://www.allbusiness.com/periodicals/ ... 763-1.html

http://diversity.monster.com/afam/articles/name/

There's alot of stuff on this. Try searching the plausibility of what some of these black people say (they're not all paranoid). Don't just decide to side with the racists ("blame eschewers") because you want things to be a certain way. And yes, many English names can be traced back to Hebrew, but the average person doesn't know the etymoplogy of the names, so it's irrevelant that you and me know this.
Good articles

I really just wanted to see two things, which is why I asked for the articles - to see what they consider "black" and "white" names, and to laugh at their ignorace because you're right, they don't know the etymology of the names

Wonder what to name my kid...

Boy - Edmington III

Girl - Abigail Emilia-Marie Junior

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » April 10th, 2006, 4:53 pm

whoknows wrote:

u is talking about u are a manager with all these white people under u but where are the brothers? why u ain't hired none?

:shock: Ouch!!!

So you peeped that to huh?

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » April 10th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Ya okay.

Actually stuff like that does occur. There was a study done by a professor at a college that was black. He wanted to see if he could get hired or not just by the way he talked.

First he tried to talk as "white" as he could and they told him they had some positions available.

Then he hung up, waited then called back and talked in slang and tried to talk as "black" as he could and they told him they no positions available.

Then he did it a third time with a spanish accent and they refused him once more. So basically the experiment meant:

White=Job

Black=No Job

Hispanic=No job

Not only that but people around here say they can tell what race someone is just by their phone number. For example a lot of people here say that if there is a phone number that begins with 990- then it belongs to someone black because it's a Cricket phone.

It sounds pretty racist but it happens. Not only that if you tell somebody your address they can automatically tell if you arew most likely going to be black or white.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » April 10th, 2006, 6:01 pm

what's BS is that u tellin brotha's that if u can make it anybody can, which is a lie.
if you tell every black man that, your dooming your entire race.
u is talking about u are a manager with all these white people under u but where are the brothers? why u ain't hired none?
he's a manager. he's hiring who he thinks will get his buisiness done the best. if a black kid with a 9 XL hoody and a du rag comes into his office, would he hire them? would YOU hire them? whoever he hires is his buisness. literally.
what's bull shit is that we have brothers that make it and become black managers like your self but they ain't hiring other brothers.
brother dont have to "cut otha brothas a break". if they feel a white, asian, latino, samoan, hawiian, tongang, arab, whatever is going to do the job better than a black guy, then they can hire whoever they want. you feel that because your black, black managers should hire you? if the boss thinks you'll probably wind up coming in late 3 times a week, doing a half assed job, and getting customers mad your not going to get a job. it's not about skin color; its about presentation, attitude, and politness.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Re: Reports offer grim forecast for young black men

Unread post by Common Sense » April 10th, 2006, 6:39 pm

At a time when the U.S. economy is on the upswing and more people are finding work, young African American men are falling further behind.
Agreed.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates there are about 5 million black men in America between the ages of 20 and 39. The new books, and an earlier one from Harvard, find them losing ground in mainstream American society, despite advances made by black women, presumably part of the same socioeconomic experience.
Black women are doing far better than black. They have become the new head of household due to years of absent fathers.
This vexing problem, caused by a variety of social ills, is equally vexing when scholars consider what causes it.
Among the studies' findings:
Rates of imprisonment for young black men escalated throughout the 1990s and continued climbing well into the current decade. About 16 percent of black men in their twenties who were not college students were either in jail or in prison.
So true. Many young black males consistently fail to realize that they have been put on notice over a decade ago, that they will spend more than half their life time in prison, if the trippin' don't stop. I feel this is true partly from the glamourization of ghetto fabulous living. You have generations of fools raising fools. It's almost impossible to break that cycle unless one goes and lives somewhere else.

* African Americans are seven times more likely to go to prison or jail than whites.
I agree. I feel it's a mixture of justice system racism and being stupid. The crimes that some of these young people commit are just plain stupid.
* Almost 60 percent of black male high school dropouts in their early thirties have spent time in prison.
Agreed.
* The percentage of young jobless black men continues to increase, part of a trend that generally hasn't abated in decades. In 2000, about 65 percent of black male high-school dropouts had no jobs, either because they couldn't find work or because they were in jail. By 2004, the studies found that number had grown to 72 percent. The numbers for young black men were higher than for whites and Hispanics similarly affected.
There's discrimination already set in for blacks males thanks to the media and hollywood, but a black male with minimal education and limited social skills, will have a hard time.

“The 1990s were an eye-opener,” said Harry Holzer, a professor of public policy at Georgetown University. “You had the strongest labor market in 30 years; all things being equal, those were good times for African Americans. A lot of black moms were entering the labor market, but the dads kept dropping out.”
Let's not forget the percentage of men that don't want to work, don't want to re train, do not want to put in the painful grinding work of trying to legally get ahead and prosper. Women are getting theirs, they have children to raise ...alone.

Holzer also cited state child-support systems and more aggressive enforcement of laws against “deadbeat dads,” late or delinquent on support payments.
Dads need to get on the ball. How can a dad not want to feed, clothe, and emotionally support their child, regardless of what they feel about the mother.
But for Holzer, the biggest problem is the large number of imprisoned men. “When you have a system where one-third of African American men are in the criminal justice system, you’re going to have problems.”
Fools always feel they can beat the system. You have to be a genius today to get away with crime, at least for a lengthy period of time. It's takes a smart man to be a professional criminal, most fools don't even want to go to school, so you know where that's going to lead.
He says solutions will be rooted in education and employment. “I think we need to emphasize three broad approaches: first, a range of education, training and youth development, especially in middle school and high school, to prevent boys from disconnecting and to prepare them for the labor market.''
You ask a young man: What do you want to do?
1. Basketball player (<1%make it)
2. Rapper/ enertainment. (figures unknown to me)

‘Self-fulfilling prophecy’
Otherwise, Holzer senses the persistence of a chilling condition among young black American men, what might be called pre-emptive despair.

Agreed.
“You see this disconnection problem, with young boys in their adolescent years starting to drift away,” he said.
Agreed.
“The girls are graduating more. But it's almost as if these young boys look down the road and sense a bleak future and they disconnect early — a self-fulfilling prophecy.”
Many young fellows want to take the easy route. They can make it today in America if they try.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 10th, 2006, 9:21 pm

A Ghost wrote:

Ya okay.

Actually stuff like that does occur. There was a study done by a professor at a college that was black. He wanted to see if he could get hired or not just by the way he talked.

First he tried to talk as "white" as he could and they told him they had some positions available.

Then he hung up, waited then called back and talked in slang and tried to talk as "black" as he could and they told him they no positions available.

Then he did it a third time with a spanish accent and they refused him once more. So basically the experiment meant:

White=Job

Black=No Job

Hispanic=No job

Not only that but people around here say they can tell what race someone is just by their phone number. For example a lot of people here say that if there is a phone number that begins with 990- then it belongs to someone black because it's a Cricket phone.

It sounds pretty racist but it happens. Not only that if you tell somebody your address they can automatically tell if you arew most likely going to be black or white.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What did he use to define "talking white"

I seriously doubt anyone "talking white" would have been hired if we had some hardcore white Alabama/deep Georgia whites in there
Ied gitterunn fastarren ah jackrabbit-hoppinnonn-a buttert'skilletten-June-ah'noon
lol I doubt hiring much less UNDERSTANDING real "white talk"
I bet reading that took some time didn't it? I have actually seen a letter written like that, on paper :)

I think this has more to do with the confusion of "white talk" with "proper English" (for example my post is in "proper English" and not "white slang")

"White slang" is the hardest to understand out of all slangs I have ever encountered, and while more of America is exposed to black slang I never hear much of white slang

Recently there's some more "redneck" and "Larry the Cable Guy" stuff coming out but that isn't nearly as hardcore as some of these guys.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 10th, 2006, 9:25 pm

O and since I'm in the state of the beach boys I can't forget
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

That's soooo TOOOOOOOTALLLY RAAD

TUBULAR MAAAAAAAAN

RRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTEOUS
Ya, I'm sure any employer would hire an interviewee like that

O and in Northern Cali whites
"Chillax" dude
that's hecka, hella, hecka, hella.......
lol

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”