Are Asians looked down upon in your neighborhood?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Starr

Are Asians looked down upon in your neighborhood?

Unread post by Starr » June 29th, 2006, 9:00 pm

I'm South Corean living in Orange County near Santa Ana and have noticed A LOT of asians, typically Eastern Asians, gettin punked by a lot of difference races. it's pretty obvious the stereotypes for asians is that we're all scrawny, nerdy and goody goody wusses but I was wonderin if that's the case for your guys hoods.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Re: Are Asians looked down upon in your neighborhood?

Unread post by Christina Marie » June 29th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Starr wrote:I'm South Corean living in Orange County near Santa Ana and have noticed A LOT of asians, typically Eastern Asians, gettin punked by a lot of difference races. it's pretty obvious the stereotypes for asians is that we're all scrawny, nerdy and goody goody wusses but I was wonderin if that's the case for your guys hoods.
Honestly...I think you have a complex. I was raised to not judge a book by its cover. Thats just me though.

Starr

Re: Are Asians looked down upon in your neighborhood?

Unread post by Starr » June 29th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
Honestly...I think you have a complex. I was raised to not judge a book by its cover. Thats just me though.
same here but it's unfortunate not all ppl are like that.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » June 30th, 2006, 12:49 pm

or maybe all the asians around your area are the corny white washed geeky ones that fit the stereotype so they get punked?

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » June 30th, 2006, 1:30 pm

In my area cos there loads of asians we dnt get looked down on, its usually the rocker types (most of them white) that get looked down on

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » June 30th, 2006, 6:57 pm

I depends.

Honestly I think what we are noticing is selection bias.

As in, when people are cool with some Asians, it's cool; but when Asians DO act like punks they get extra-punked because it's assumed we're weaker (for most Asian ethnicities). Had those same people been Black, White, or Hispanic or something else, they wouldn't get messed with as often.

They also mix up the difference between what most of us call "being polite and holding back" with "being weak." The first time I was in high school here I acted polite and courteous like I was raised up to be, so everyone was surprised when I knocked out this 300 lb. linemen for pushing me and calling me a chink. But then after I did that people called me the "anti-Asian" and teachers and stuff said I was just "rebelling against my stereotype." WTF? And so I got expelled.

Also people don't get that Asia is not one country or people, we come from the largest and most diverse continent in the world. The same issue comes up with Africa and South America as well. We are not all homogenous or copies of each other. For example, in statistics I found out the average height and weight for a black adult is significantly lower than whites, which of course runs counter to stereotype. It's because there are many different Black peoples in the world and here in America since everyone was mixed and homogenized in the minds of White slaveowners they were all generalized by the few who stood out the most, such as athletes, criminals, and celebrities. Which is, in a word, idiotic.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » June 30th, 2006, 7:02 pm

MistahSerpent wrote:or maybe all the asians around your area are the corny white washed geeky ones that fit the stereotype so they get punked?
Thats cold...hahaha

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » June 30th, 2006, 8:37 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:I knocked out this 300 lb. linemen for pushing me and calling me a chink. But then after I did that people called me the "anti-Asian" and teachers and stuff said I was just "rebelling against my stereotype." WTF? And so I got expelled.
Just curious how tall were you and how much did you weigh when you knokced his ass out? Oh yea lol@thatantiasian shit
Christina Marie wrote:
MistahSerpent wrote:or maybe all the asians around your area are the corny white washed geeky ones that fit the stereotype so they get punked?
Thats cold...hahaha
The only cold thing about that is the double standard. Asian male does it everyone will clown on him. Female asian does it no one cares.

Starr

Unread post by Starr » June 30th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
Thats cold...hahaha
actually, it's partially true since not all asians in my neighborhood are the nerdy ones. But that's why i'm wondering if 'regular' asian males get bullied at other hoods.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 1st, 2006, 9:22 am

Starr wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
Thats cold...hahaha
actually, it's partially true since not all asians in my neighborhood are the nerdy ones. But that's why i'm wondering if 'regular' asian males get bullied at other hoods.
give us your definition of a regular asian male first then we'll give you answers

Starr

Unread post by Starr » July 1st, 2006, 12:30 pm

I mean 'regular' as in, not nerdy, big glasses wearing, scrawny little asians. An asian that doesn't fit any of those stereotypes.

and there was a reason I put quotes around regular. i know you understood what I said too.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 1st, 2006, 2:22 pm

Starr wrote:I mean 'regular' as in, not nerdy, big glasses wearing, scrawny little asians. An asian that doesn't fit any of those stereotypes.

and there was a reason I put quotes around regular. i know you understood what I said too.
well streotypes are based on what's usually the regular

anyways what does the asian dress like? the way a person looks and walks can determine if they are a target for bullies or not

people who aren't common targets walk with their head high, shoulders bakc but relaxed, chest out, smooth movements, etc

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » July 2nd, 2006, 10:49 am

Once i was outside this video store in the parking lot in Gardena and by complete accident i got into this stare-down with an asian guy. He was pretty small and i dont know what his problem was, i was with my girl. I looked away and then my girl asked me if i knew him cuz i know quite a few asians from all around southern CA. But i told her i didnt know him....Anyways so he got to his car and i looked up towards him again and he looked a little nervous and opened his car door and pulled something into his pocket and i just turned away again and said to my girl come on hurry up im hungry then a mugg....we hopped in the car and as we were leaving the asian guy was in the middle of the area where cars drive up and down looking for parking spaces so that i could see him clearly in my rearview.....like challenging me or...like he had won cuz he ran me off. LOL anyways i think he grabbed his gat ! thats one thing about asian gangsters they quick to pull out them automatis weapons on your ass so be careful when u gonna front on them LOL
Long story short Asian nigga was frontin on me cuz i actually was zoned out and then i realized that i was in the middle of a staring duel LOL

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 2nd, 2006, 10:53 am

streetsIswatchin wrote:Once i was outside this video store in the parking lot in Gardena and by complete accident i got into this stare-down with an asian guy. He was pretty small and i dont know what his problem was, i was with my girl. I looked away and then my girl asked me if i knew him because i know quite a few asians from all around southern CA. But i told her i didnt know him....Anyways so he got to his car and i looked up towards him again and he looked a little nervous and opened his car door and pulled something into his pocket and i just turned away again and said to my girl come on hurry up im hungry then a mugg....we hopped in the car and as we were leaving the asian guy was in the middle of the area where cars drive up and down looking for parking spaces so that i could see him clearly in my rearview.....like challenging me or...like he had won because he ran me off. LOL anyways i think he grabbed his gat ! thats one thing about asian gangsters they quick to pull out them automatis weapons on your ass so be careful when u gonna front on them LOL
Long story short Asian nigga was frontin on me because i actually was zoned out and then i realized that i was in the middle of a staring duel LOL
That guy sounded like a retard. If you're going to smoke someone just because of casual muggin you have problems.

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » July 2nd, 2006, 11:02 am

yea sum serious problems

sum tamil slashed another tamil's face for "lookin at him wrong for too long" loll

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » July 2nd, 2006, 3:08 pm

Here I've seen numerous occasions where people get beated up real badly (like into coma) when they have stared at someone too long. Two guys even got beated up and stabbed because they looked someone's car too long. In our culture it's not so common to look/stare at the people who you don't know, so when that kind of staring happens, some people get very aggravated very quick.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 2nd, 2006, 5:44 pm

punamusta wrote:Here I've seen numerous occasions where people get beated up real badly (like into coma) when they have stared at someone too long. Two guys even got beated up and stabbed because they looked someone's car too long. In our culture it's not so common to look/stare at the people who you don't know, so when that kind of staring happens, some people get very aggravated very quick.
Long ass mugging is annoying. But 2-3 times casual staring shouldn't be anything to trip over

terren2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by terren2000 » July 3rd, 2006, 12:22 am

asians are down.

They are disrespected in the hood.

But ive received the same treatment.

For college I had a report to do in lil taiwan.

And these young asians, stared me down, and I was like, its time for a nigga to go.

I was way out of bounds.

Theyd shoot a negor in a sec, tryin to rob they store. They aint no punks. rmeember these cats came from a corrupt government, so they are use to being treated like crap. Especially them viatenemese.

dutch
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dutch » July 3rd, 2006, 11:56 am

Holy shit this staring problem,is a universal problem.In Holland it is the same thing.I witnissed the same things.I went to a club in my town and there was a known criminal walking to the bar.He gave everyone this stare like "fuck with me and get killed".Only thing was,there was a Turkish guy sitting at the bar and he stared at the Turkish guy and he went nuts.The Turkish guy had a beer bottle,smashed it and stuck the beer bottle in the face of the criminal.Cut his face open real bad.He had to go to the hospital and do surgery and all that shit.When the police ask the Turkish man why he did that he said:i didn't like the way he stared at me.Another time we went to get some food after a night of drinking at the club.We went to the restaurant and the door is from glass.All of a sudden somebody is flying threw the door.Somebody knocked this guy out and he went threw the door.It wasn't that thick of a glass.When we looked who did it,there was this big black guy standing there.The owner and everybody asked him why he did this.He said:He stared at me and i didn't like his face.Allot of time's these starings give problems,especially when you go out clubbin.If someone is staring at you and you stare back,then it's on.You got a fight.But when you stare and you look away,then they leave you alone.But sometimes a stare is enough to get your ass kicked,even if you look away.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 3rd, 2006, 1:45 pm

dutch wrote:Holy shit this staring problem,is a universal problem.In Holland it is the same thing.I witnissed the same things.I went to a club in my town and there was a known criminal walking to the bar.He gave everyone this stare like "fu-- with me and get killed".Only thing was,there was a Turkish guy sitting at the bar and he stared at the Turkish guy and he went nuts.The Turkish guy had a beer bottle,smashed it and stuck the beer bottle in the face of the criminal.Cut his face open real bad.He had to go to the hospital and do surgery and all that shit.When the police ask the Turkish man why he did that he said:i didn't like the way he stared at me.Another time we went to get some food after a night of drinking at the club.We went to the restaurant and the door is from glass.All of a sudden somebody is flying threw the door.Somebody knocked this guy out and he went threw the door.It wasn't that thick of a glass.When we looked who did it,there was this big black guy standing there.The owner and everybody asked him why he did this.He said:He stared at me and i didn't like his face.Allot of time's these starings give problems,especially when you go out clubbin.If someone is staring at you and you stare back,then it's on.You got a fight.But when you stare and you look away,then they leave you alone.But sometimes a stare is enough to get your ass kicked,even if you look away.
chekc this shit out from wikipedia
Wikipedia wrote:In primate behavior, the unwavering gaze is used as a sign of dominance and threat, while gaze avoidance originated as a submissive cue. Looking directly into the others' eyes for a prolonged time may be an effective way of intimidating somebody or of initiating combat.
That's why people get real angry with staring.

Trey
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trey » July 5th, 2006, 5:02 pm

I live in Vancouver, B.C.

Asians are the majority in the inner city and 40% of the metro Vancouver population is Asian. I never experienced someone trying to punk me from another race.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 5th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Trey wrote:I live in Vancouver, B.C.

Asians are the majority in the inner city and 40% of the metro Vancouver population is Asian. I never experienced someone trying to punk me from another race.
Didn't see you post in awhile thought you was gone.

Oaktown_G
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Oaktown_G » July 5th, 2006, 9:12 pm

I really dont to much racism towards asians they arent big here and they stick together the only other people I have seen mess with them are mexicans.

Trey
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trey » July 6th, 2006, 1:41 pm

MistahSerpent wrote:
Trey wrote:I live in Vancouver, B.C.

Didn't see you post in awhile thought you was gone.
I still drop by from time to time. Not much topics of interest for me to post in. But I do "lurk around" and read posts from all y'all.

terren2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by terren2000 » July 7th, 2006, 2:30 am

MistahSerpent wrote:
dutch wrote:Holy shit this staring problem,is a universal problem.In Holland it is the same thing.I witnissed the same things.I went to a club in my town and there was a known criminal walking to the bar.He gave everyone this stare like "fu-- with me and get killed".Only thing was,there was a Turkish guy sitting at the bar and he stared at the Turkish guy and he went nuts.The Turkish guy had a beer bottle,smashed it and stuck the beer bottle in the face of the criminal.Cut his face open real bad.He had to go to the hospital and do surgery and all that shit.When the police ask the Turkish man why he did that he said:i didn't like the way he stared at me.Another time we went to get some food after a night of drinking at the club.We went to the restaurant and the door is from glass.All of a sudden somebody is flying threw the door.Somebody knocked this guy out and he went threw the door.It wasn't that thick of a glass.When we looked who did it,there was this big black guy standing there.The owner and everybody asked him why he did this.He said:He stared at me and i didn't like his face.Allot of time's these starings give problems,especially when you go out clubbin.If someone is staring at you and you stare back,then it's on.You got a fight.But when you stare and you look away,then they leave you alone.But sometimes a stare is enough to get your ass kicked,even if you look away.
chekc this shit out from wikipedia
Wikipedia wrote:In primate behavior, the unwavering gaze is used as a sign of dominance and threat, while gaze avoidance originated as a submissive cue. Looking directly into the others' eyes for a prolonged time may be an effective way of intimidating somebody or of initiating combat.
That's why people get real angry with staring.
yea true.

had some 60 niggas trip on me once. Funny thing, i thought he was some1 i knew, thats why i kept lookin.

Dude was like 15 deep at world on wheels, and it was me and 3 of my homiez. Dude started woofin major crap. i smiled and blew him a kiss, and he went crazy, talking about he would knock me out.

the good ole days.

yea you cant stare at a dude, for real.

When I see white people in a car. if i stare, they will definately turn their head, or put their head down.

I beleive the definition placed above is accurate. its a stare of dominance. Who ever turns 1st is the b!tch.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 7th, 2006, 11:01 am

well you gotta be careful...sometimes its either the puto o el muerto

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 7th, 2006, 12:21 pm

terren2000 wrote:I beleive the definition placed above is accurate. its a stare of dominance. Who ever turns 1st is the b!tch.
so do you always outstare the other guy?

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 7th, 2006, 12:22 pm

certain cultures are more reserved too so they usually have weak eye contact (like some asian cultures for example)

i was raised by asian parents and i find my eye contact is pretty weak so im trying to work on that shit

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 7th, 2006, 12:42 pm

the samurai used to cut peaseants in half if they stared them in the eyes. eye contact is about status and respect in cultures also.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 9th, 2006, 12:29 pm

MistahSerpent wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:I knocked out this 300 lb. linemen for pushing me and calling me a chink. But then after I did that people called me the "anti-Asian" and teachers and stuff said I was just "rebelling against my stereotype." WTF? And so I got expelled.
Just curious how tall were you and how much did you weigh when you knokced his ass out? Oh yea lol@thatantiasian shit
5'2 about 120 (I know because I boxed at the time)

but really it was just because it was a sucker punk - he didn't see it coming so I honestly don't know what would have happened if he expected it (he didn't think Asians could fight)

that anti-Asian crap was gay everyone talking crap about what group I should be in - f*ck groups I'm my own person

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 9th, 2006, 12:54 pm

terren2000 wrote:asians are down.

They are disrespected in the hood.

But ive received the same treatment.

For college I had a report to do in lil taiwan.

And these young asians, stared me down, and I was like, its time for a nigga to go.

I was way out of bounds.

Theyd shoot a negor in a sec, tryin to rob they store. They aint no punks. rmeember these cats came from a corrupt government, so they are use to being treated like crap. Especially them viatenemese.
see the thing is if people know this why are Asians disrespected in ECC? or in general most of America? I don't get that bs

MistahSerpent wrote:certain cultures are more reserved too so they usually have weak eye contact (like some asian cultures for example)

i was raised by asian parents and i find my eye contact is pretty weak so im trying to work on that shit
Maybe you're just respectful. Eye contact is weak with parents and teachers and stuff but when someone pisses me off or makes long eye contact I stare hard at them. I think the lack of eye contact with most Asians cultures makes the few times of long eye contact more intense.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 9th, 2006, 1:00 pm

perongregory wrote:the samurai used to cut peaseants in half if they stared them in the eyes. eye contact is about status and respect in cultures also.
haha that reminds me of a Musashi story.

He was visiting some lord so they had all of the samurai lined up along the road because he wanted to test and see if Musashi would recognize the greatest samurai just from going past them. All of them averted their eyes out of fear of Musashi but one just casually looked at him, not angry or scared or brave, just casual. After walking along the road the lord asked him who he thought the greatest samurai among them was, he pointed out this weak samurai. The lord was surprised and said he had so little talent his main duty was just cutting stones instead of guarding but Musashi insisted he was the strongest. He asked the samurai what training he had, and he said he honestly had virtually none, but that every night he hung his sword point down at his eyes above his bed, and he would just stare at it until he fell asleep. Then Musashi said that this is why he was the greatest, because only he faced death every day and realized that life can end any moment on the snap of a thread.

Don't know if it was a true story but a good one