Tego says skin color's still a major issue for Latinos.

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1017
Joined: June 3rd, 2004, 12:10 pm
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach
Location: Long Beach, CA

Unread post by LcBwC » June 11th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Redrag52 wrote:man tego look like a skinny ed lover with a afro , that dude is black he can pass for american blood ! they say that about my pops he got weird features and str8 from virginia down south , karl kani is panamainian , he look american black , atonio vargas looks american black hes cuban , fabolous looks american black hes black dominican , i understand tego what hes saying and feeling , and he loves being black and proud
Hahah I never thought of that, but now that you say it he does.
I guess it just depends on whos looking and what they are familiar with. I can look at him and tell he isnt african american...but thats me. Im mixed with ish and people swear up n down Im just lightskinned with a different grade of hair. To others they can tell.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » June 11th, 2007, 9:56 pm

Redrag52 wrote:man i can look at an african , maybe either a jamiacan and tell there not american

User avatar
rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 866
Joined: November 30th, 2003, 4:22 am
Location: Southern Cali

Unread post by rocstar » June 11th, 2007, 10:33 pm

I don't understand why people feel you have to be African American to be Black. The majority of African Americans are just as mixed as Blacks from everywhere else around the world. We still all Black, the majority of our ancestors left the same place at about the same time and just ended up in different locations.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » June 11th, 2007, 10:42 pm

rocstar wrote:I don't understand why people feel you have to be African American to be Black. The majority of African Americans are just as mixed as Blacks from everywhere else around the world. We still all Black, the majority of our ancestors left the same place at about the same time and just ended up in different locations.
SOME PEOPLE DONT HAVE THAT POWER OF LOGIC ,

User avatar
TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1064
Joined: January 20th, 2004, 1:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA (Windsor Hills section)

Unread post by TheReal » June 12th, 2007, 6:56 am

rocstar wrote:I don't understand why people feel you have to be African American to be Black. The majority of African Americans are just as mixed as Blacks from everywhere else around the world. We still all Black, the majority of our ancestors left the same place at about the same time and just ended up in different locations.
Speak on it. This is especially sad for black folks to be thinking this way. To me, black folks in this country who can't realize the fact that you have black folks that speak spanish, portugese, french, and english, and that not all "true black folks" come from North America, Africa, or maybe caribbean countries that speak English, even after they've been exposed to these types of black folks-ARE SHORTSIGHTED, DUMB, BACKWARD SIMPLETONS, WHO RELISH IN WALLOWING IN THEIR OWN IGNORANCE!

We are all black folks, and should acknowledge one another, instead of excising each other from the family.

User avatar
rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 866
Joined: November 30th, 2003, 4:22 am
Location: Southern Cali

Unread post by rocstar » June 12th, 2007, 10:53 pm

TheReal wrote:
rocstar wrote:I don't understand why people feel you have to be African American to be Black. The majority of African Americans are just as mixed as Blacks from everywhere else around the world. We still all Black, the majority of our ancestors left the same place at about the same time and just ended up in different locations.
Speak on it. This is especially sad for black folks to be thinking this way. To me, black folks in this country who can't realize the fact that you have black folks that speak spanish, portugese, french, and english, and that not all "true black folks" come from North America, Africa, or maybe caribbean countries that speak English, even after they've been exposed to these types of black folks-ARE SHORTSIGHTED, DUMB, BACKWARD SIMPLETONS, WHO RELISH IN WALLOWING IN THEIR OWN IGNORANCE!

We are all black folks, and should acknowledge one another, instead of excising each other from the family.
Exactly. These posts with everybody choosing what descendents of Black Africans should be considered Black is ridiculous. That's how they have us though. Division all over the board, dark, light, dialect etc. We should be cherishing each others cultures.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1572
Joined: October 23rd, 2006, 12:15 am

Unread post by TeeKay » June 12th, 2007, 11:17 pm

Y.G. wrote:
NICKELS wrote:yes there latino , portugese is of the latin peoples of europe , latino / hispanic is anything of or controlled or culturally dominated from latin peoples of europe even language. ( spain - portugese - french - italian - etc. ) spain and portugal started the african slave trade first , brazil has the highest population of blacks outside of africa

MY NEIGHBOR IS FROM BRAZIL AND HE SAID THAT THEY AREN'T LATINO AND PORTUGUESE DON'T CONSIDER THEMSELVES LATINO THEY DON'T SPEAK SPANISH.
They're latino, just not hispanic.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » June 13th, 2007, 5:53 am

YEAH LATINO MEANS OF THE LATIN PEOPLES OF EUROPE OR THERE LATIN EUROPEAN CULTURE , HISPANIC MEANS OF SPAIN , SPAIN WAS ORIGINALLY CALLED HISPANIA "

I REALLY DONT GIVE A F--K , IM AFRICAN DESCENT , THATS ALL I REP. , FROM THE DARKEST AFRICAN TO THE LIGHT BROWNEST AFRICAN OF DESCENT , WEATHER ITS THE MOTHER LAND AFRICA , POLYNESIA , AUSTRALIA , INDIA , WEST ASIA ....ETC. , MELANIN KINGS "

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » June 20th, 2007, 7:23 am

NICKELS wrote:Image
HEY CHECK OUT ALL THESE - PUERTORICANS AND ITALIANS , DONT THEY LOOK JUST LIKE BLACK PEOPLE .............LOL

MAN I CAN REALLY SEE , HOW THEY LOOK ALIKE , THAT ONE IN THE FRONT LOOKS LIKE RICKY MARTIN AND THAT LADY LOOKS LIKE JENNIFER LOPEZ ...OH OH AND THAT DUDE IN THE BACK LOOKS JUST LIKE " DADDY YANKEE " ......MAN THE REST OF THEM LOOK ITALIAN , FATJOE AND AL PACINO FITS RIGHT IN THERE.

TAC MONSTER
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 57
Joined: November 19th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Unread post by TAC MONSTER » December 3rd, 2007, 12:30 am

rocstar wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:I just found out this black girl I know was from Brazil. But she always just said "African American" because everyone sees her as just black.
Ive heard of times where someone will come to the US from Grenada or Jamaica or some other foriegn country and when you call them "black" or "African-American" they get all pissed like its a bad thing
They not African American so that should bother them, but all the Black Latinos and others who think you can only be Black if you live in the U.S or Africa is ridiculous. Black is Black, regardless of your dialect.
this is how feel.

i'm latino too.

but i feel like all our ancestors are from the same slave trade.only difference is tego's were brought to puerto rico & mine were brought to the US.

tatyana ali aka ashley from fresh prince is panamanian

alfonso ribeiro aka carlton is dominican

they both look black to me.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » December 4th, 2007, 3:10 pm

THOSE ACTORS YOU NAMED ARE ALL BLACK AFRICAN ...THERE LANGUAGE IS SPANISH/LATINO ......NOT THERE RACE.

RICKY MARTIN IS SPANISH / LATINO ....HE IS NOT THE SAME RACE AS : SAMMY SOSA , CELIA CRUZ , PEDRO KNIGHT , TEGO..

LATINOS ARE DIFFERENT RACES ( SPANISH & OTHER WHITES , INDIAN - NATIVO , BLACKS ) UNDER SPANISH RULE OR INFLUNCE SPEAKING A SPANISH LANGUAGE '

LIKE IN THE U.S. BECAUSE OF BRITISH /ENGLISH AND OTHERS RULE AND INFLUENCE WE SPEAK ENGLISH ....BUT IM BLACK, NOT ENGLISH. I JUST SPEAK THE LANGUAGE , MY GENETICS IS 90% AFRICAN ......THE DOMINANT LIKE THE REST OF MY FAMILY , NOT PEOPLE MARRIED INTO THE FAMILY...

JUST LIKE HAITI A FRENCH RULED /INFLUENCED ISLAND....SO THEY SPEAK FRENCH...ITS A LANGUAGE THE BLACKS SPEAK THERE

BLACKS BEING DROPPED OFF IN DIFF PLACES/COUNTRY/ISLAND- THAT ARE CONTROLLED BY OTHER PEOPLE ....YOU SPEAK THAT LANGUAGE ..YOU ARE NOT THAT RACE ahahaha

LANGUAGE GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR RACE !!.....I CAN LEARN JAPANESE AND HAVE 3 GENERATIONS OF BLACK DESCENDANTS IN JAPAN .......THERE STILL BLACK EVEN THOUGH THEY SPEAK THE JAPAENESE LANGUAGE BECAUSE OF LIVING THERE

Common sense and logic and able to decipher things plays a big part in life , along with academics

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » December 4th, 2007, 3:11 pm

TAC MONSTER SO I DO AGREE WITH SOMETHINGS YOU ARE SAYING......

pistolslanga
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1342
Joined: May 5th, 2006, 2:04 pm
Location: oakland

Unread post by pistolslanga » December 4th, 2007, 4:29 pm

thing about black/hispanic is their roots are everywhere because theyve been fukked by everyone and fukked everyone, if you look at when europeans raided america and jacked america from mexicans/natives, you can obviously see their was a lot of rape/etc and a lot of mexicans/latinos for that reason are related to europeans, a lot of black/hispanic ancestory has to do with America... that and island blacks/hispanics..

TAC MONSTER
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 57
Joined: November 19th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Unread post by TAC MONSTER » December 4th, 2007, 6:12 pm

NICKELS wrote:THOSE ACTORS YOU NAMED ARE ALL BLACK AFRICAN ...THERE LANGUAGE IS SPANISH/LATINO ......NOT THERE RACE.

RICKY MARTIN IS SPANISH / LATINO ....HE IS NOT THE SAME RACE AS : SAMMY SOSA , CELIA CRUZ , PEDRO KNIGHT , TEGO..

LATINOS ARE DIFFERENT RACES ( SPANISH & OTHER WHITES , INDIAN - NATIVO , BLACKS ) UNDER SPANISH RULE OR INFLUNCE SPEAKING A SPANISH LANGUAGE '

LIKE IN THE U.S. BECAUSE OF BRITISH /ENGLISH AND OTHERS RULE AND INFLUENCE WE SPEAK ENGLISH ....BUT IM BLACK, NOT ENGLISH. I JUST SPEAK THE LANGUAGE , MY GENETICS IS 90% AFRICAN ......THE DOMINANT LIKE THE REST OF MY FAMILY , NOT PEOPLE MARRIED INTO THE FAMILY...

JUST LIKE HAITI A FRENCH RULED /INFLUENCED ISLAND....SO THEY SPEAK FRENCH...ITS A LANGUAGE THE BLACKS SPEAK THERE

BLACKS BEING DROPPED OFF IN DIFF PLACES/COUNTRY/ISLAND- THAT ARE CONTROLLED BY OTHER PEOPLE ....YOU SPEAK THAT LANGUAGE ..YOU ARE NOT THAT RACE ahahaha

LANGUAGE GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR RACE !!.....I CAN LEARN JAPANESE AND HAVE 3 GENERATIONS OF BLACK DESCENDANTS IN JAPAN .......THERE STILL BLACK EVEN THOUGH THEY SPEAK THE JAPAENESE LANGUAGE BECAUSE OF LIVING THERE

Common sense and logic and able to decipher things plays a big part in life , along with academics
i know

i'm both black & latino, so i know the history & culture well.

latino is actually just a culture not a race.the definition of latino is, a native or inhabitant of latin america.

all these names like dominican,haitian,colombian,brazilian,mexican are nationalities, not races.

but alot of american people think they are races.

a mexican or puerto rican can be the a dark black person,a white person,a indian person & everything in between.there is also some asians in latin america that are considered latino.

haitians would also be considered latinos because french is a latin language like spanish & portugese.but their race is black/african, there is also a few white haitians.

check out the video my homie did about puerto ricos blacks roots.i posted it in this forum

100
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 929
Joined: August 3rd, 2004, 11:38 pm

Unread post by 100 » January 19th, 2008, 9:40 pm

alexalonso wrote:Tego is talking about what goes on in the US and other Latin American countries. Although he tried to put Puert Rico in this category, he is exaggerating the conditions of racism there. There is a small black town in Puerto Rico called Loiza, where most people there are negro or black, bot the overwhelming majority of the island are mixed race people of Spanish, black and indian.

Why would a Puerto Rican of mixed race with their own distinct culture say that they are black in the same way that an American black would state? It is very much different. The discrimination on the island is not that pervasive as it is in the US.
FALSE

Post Reply

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”