White teachers teaching black history

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
Locked
Michelle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 207
Joined: September 4th, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: England

White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Michelle » June 7th, 2004, 1:56 pm

What are your views on this? Do you think it shouldn't matter as long as they're equally qualified? Or does it send out the wrong message?

User avatar
mike89
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 487
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 12:07 pm

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by mike89 » June 7th, 2004, 2:22 pm

i'm white and 25 yrs old. in school i had a white history teacher who honestly knew what he knew about black history and culture.so i think it don't matter if you a white or black teacher.just know what you try to teach.if not then teaching isen't for you.go back and learn.one can never learn to much of anything.

User avatar
sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 302
Joined: November 12th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by sexy365 » June 7th, 2004, 2:49 pm

WHITE TEACHERS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO TEACH BLACK HISTORY. AND IF THEY DO THEY CAN ONLY TEACH IT FROM ONE SIDE. THEY CAN ONLY TEACH ABOUT WHAT THEIR RACE DID TO OURS. BUT CAN NEVER TEACH WHAT WE WENT THROUGH. CUZ THEY HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT.

User avatar
mike89
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 487
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 12:07 pm

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by mike89 » June 7th, 2004, 3:07 pm

SEXY, WHY CAN'T A WHITE MAN BE ALLOWED TO TEACH BLACK HISTORY,EVEN IF HE HASEN'T LIVED IN BLACK CULTURE E.T.C

THAT CAN AND WOULD BE UPSETTING TO BE PUT ON STAGE LIKE THAT FOR AN EXAMPLE,DEMENSTRATION,SOME THING JUST GET OVER LOOKED

Michelle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 207
Joined: September 4th, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: England

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Michelle » June 7th, 2004, 3:19 pm

I understand her point of view.

User avatar
sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 302
Joined: November 12th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by sexy365 » June 11th, 2004, 5:56 pm

YOU TELL ME WHAT A WHITE TEACHER CAN POSSABLY SAY TO A ROOM FULL OF BLACK KIDS ABOUT WHAT THEIR ANCESTORS WENT THROUGH. CUZ IT WILL BE A ROOM FULL OF BLACKS, I HAVE NOT YET A WHITE PERSON WHO IS SO INTERESTED IN BLACK HISTORY THAT THEY DECIDED TO TAKE A BLACK HISTORY COURSE LET ALONE TEACH IT. IF YOU HAPPEN TO MAKE SENSE OF A WHITE TEACHER TEACHING BLACK HISTORY, I'LL MAKE SENSE OF HITLER TEACHING A JEWISH HISTORY COURSE.

User avatar
mike89
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 487
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 12:07 pm

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by mike89 » June 12th, 2004, 1:03 pm

WHO TELL YOU? :?: :!:

User avatar
sexy365
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 302
Joined: November 12th, 2003, 2:17 pm

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by sexy365 » June 12th, 2004, 3:00 pm

ANYBODY!

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 299
Joined: April 17th, 2004, 6:34 am
Location: NY Strong Island recently moved to Va

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by NYorker » June 23rd, 2004, 9:50 am

sexy365 wrote:WHITE TEACHERS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO TEACH BLACK HISTORY. AND IF THEY DO THEY CAN ONLY TEACH IT FROM ONE SIDE. THEY CAN ONLY TEACH ABOUT WHAT THEIR RACE DID TO OURS. BUT CAN NEVER TEACH WHAT WE WENT THROUGH. because THEY HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT.

That's a crock of S$%T!!!!!! What a dumb generalization for you to make. Each person is individual anyone qualified can teach facts and history from research. If they had interviews from blacks "that went through slavery, jim crow, etc) they can surely teach what blacks went through. Then if they didn't add or teach black history in their curriclum then you'd complain about that!!!! LOL what a joke.

kyh
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 60
Joined: June 17th, 2004, 9:58 pm

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by kyh » June 23rd, 2004, 10:41 pm

if they teach only facts, arent racist, and leave out any BS, then go for it. Everybody needs to know about black history.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 574
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 5:54 am
Location: mid wilshire

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by never die inside » June 23rd, 2004, 11:57 pm

if theres a qualified black teacher, he/she should teach it.

given equal qualifications for a white and black teacher teaching black history, a black teacher should teach it.

whens the last time u met a white dude that was impressed by the fact you volunteer in a minority community? Zero.

User avatar
Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2614
Joined: December 8th, 2003, 11:10 pm

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Invincible » June 24th, 2004, 3:06 am

I had a chicano professor last semester who kind of taught racial biased history against whites. Instead of referring to Eurocentricists as such or Europeans he kept mentioning white people alot as well, and claimed everything they said basically about history is false. Here is some info I found on him (someone filed a complaint about his teaching methods and even some hispanic female quit the class because of his agressive behavior against white history):

http://www.pcc-courieronline.com/news/0 ... arate.html

and another:
http://www.pcc-courieronline.com/news/0 ... laint.html

"During an interview conducted after the initial complaint was filed, Zarate described his style of teaching.

"I tell my students, 'Some of the things that you've been taught are flat out lies. They're not different perceptions, or a different opinion, they're just lies,'" he explained.

According to Zarate, "One of these biggest lies is the idea of racism."

"I mean racism is something that has been constructed. Its sole purpose was to create a European superiority," he said.

The instructor continued, "When you talk about race and ethnicity, European superiority is critical to that understanding, that whites and their status, and their intellectual traditions, are never challenged."

He thinks only Europeans have racial biase and doesn't mention other races for instance japan toward china (japanese toward chinese). Also he doesn't mention that each country not matter of race has historic slant/bias toward their nation more.

The entire educational system is in a sense of stagnation, from history, to mathematics, art, you name it - since there's too much of a risk (logistically and legally) of taking vast changes in the current system.

For example: Imagine that school "A" chooses to make balanced history courses (including the skipping of Vietnam, that we all missed). There's always the risk that by doing that, they may have kids scoring lower on standardized tests (since they would be spending time on other subjects), and then you'd have the whole school in an uproar on decreased results.

This can be applied to mathematics.
This can be applied to chemistry.
This can be applied to physics.
This can even be applied to P.E.

There is NO mass "European" conspiracy, and i'm insulted every time I hear someone blurting out that crap.

And honestly, i'm getting fed up with people being able to accuse European-Americans as being the cause of every problem known to man, with absolutely no consequences whatsoever.

No one has the right to prejudge me or my ancestors of having an "agenda" to oppress others, and to top - it's utterly hypocritical to do so.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 574
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 5:54 am
Location: mid wilshire

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by never die inside » June 24th, 2004, 6:29 pm

Zarate. That guy is dope.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1690
Joined: December 25th, 2004, 10:40 am
Location: Mil town,WIS

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » December 31st, 2004, 5:16 pm

No one has the right to prejudge me or my ancestors of having an "agenda" to oppress others




lol...thats EXACTLY what your ancestors agenda was...to oppress others.Face it,youre a white american,you guys murdered most natives,stole thier land,enslaved africans,stole land from mexico,hawaiins,etc and set up a society where only your kind would be on top.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by se11 » December 31st, 2004, 8:26 pm

I think if the white teacher is qualified to teach it and can get the kids to pass the class, he should. Especially since I have a few black friends that failed it. Whatever teacher will get them to pass it should teach it.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1387
Joined: August 2nd, 2004, 5:55 pm
Country: Finland
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above
Location: Hellsinki, Finno-Ugria

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by punamusta » January 1st, 2005, 11:00 am

I don't know if this is a right place to ask, but do you make a difference between a white american and for example a white finnish guy like me? We share the same skin colour, but our history is totally different. Finland has never have any colonies or anything like that. And I know I would be pissed off if some guy would come up to me and make any kinds of comments about my skin colour just because he thinks that every white people are the same. I respect every people equally and that's what I demand from others as well.


And about that white teachers are teaching black history.. Teaching is about knowledge, not about skin colour. Please remember that. The colour of your skin don't make you any wiser. Reading and studying does.

L Grindin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 345
Joined: April 28th, 2004, 12:40 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Hawthorne
Location: Hawthorne, CA

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by L Grindin » January 1st, 2005, 12:09 pm

Lizard: In America, you will be seen as White; nationality only becomes an issue for Whites, when they are from countries where the citizens have skin complexions that are darker that the complexions of northern Europe, such as Italy and Greece. And regardless of that, they will still be considered White, because of the privilege's they enjoy for being White.

Regarding White teachers teaching Black history, I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as the teacher is able to accurately teach Black history, without interjecting any European bias.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1387
Joined: August 2nd, 2004, 5:55 pm
Country: Finland
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above
Location: Hellsinki, Finno-Ugria

Unread post by punamusta » January 1st, 2005, 1:26 pm

L Grindin wrote:Lizard: In America, you will be seen as White; nationality only becomes an issue for Whites, when they are from countries where the citizens have skin complexions that are darker that the complexions of northern Europe, such as Italy and Greece. And regardless of that, they will still be considered White, because of the privilege's they enjoy for being White.


Hmm.. Alright. It seems that people hate other people just because of the colour of their skin, and not because of their (or their ancestors) actions. That's kinda racist, isn't it?

L Grindin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 345
Joined: April 28th, 2004, 12:40 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Hawthorne
Location: Hawthorne, CA

Unread post by L Grindin » January 1st, 2005, 2:27 pm

lizard wrote:
L Grindin wrote:Lizard: In America, you will be seen as White; nationality only becomes an issue for Whites, when they are from countries where the citizens have skin complexions that are darker that the complexions of northern Europe, such as Italy and Greece. And regardless of that, they will still be considered White, because of the privilege's they enjoy for being White.


Hmm.. Alright. It seems that people hate other people just because of the colour of their skin, and not because of their (or their ancestors) actions. That's kinda racist, isn't it?


Some people hate others because of color, and some hate for past actions, while others hate people for participating in both. Yes it's racist, America was founded on racism, and America continues to be a racist country.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1387
Joined: August 2nd, 2004, 5:55 pm
Country: Finland
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above
Location: Hellsinki, Finno-Ugria

Unread post by punamusta » January 1st, 2005, 4:07 pm

L Grindin wrote:Some people hate others because of color, and some hate for past actions, while others hate people for participating in both. Yes it's racist, America was founded on racism, and America continues to be a racist country.


That's a shame. Well, the reason why I asked that in a first place was because my cousin was studying in New York for a year back in the '97 and he told me that at first some were calling him a "white boy" and all that racist BS, but after they found out that he was from Finland, they changed their whole attitude and eventually became a good friends. And I've heard that same story from a couple of others as well.

Then again my girlfriend and her sister were in New York a couple of months ago and were in some record store in Harlem, and couple of guys started to call them whit a racist names. They didn't say nothing back to those guys, but when I heard that I was ready to hop on the plane and come to Harlem to kick some ignorant ass. Before these accidents I though that racism was more of a white peoples "thing" in USA. That black people who have confronted racism would know how stupid that is, and would keep themselves out of it. But I guess hate produces hate.. Just wondering when all that BS will stop. Eye for an eye will make the whole world go blind..

Anonymous20

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Anonymous20 » January 1st, 2005, 5:34 pm

lizard : good said

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » January 1st, 2005, 5:40 pm

lizard wrote:
L Grindin wrote:Lizard: In America, you will be seen as White; nationality only becomes an issue for Whites, when they are from countries where the citizens have skin complexions that are darker that the complexions of northern Europe, such as Italy and Greece. And regardless of that, they will still be considered White, because of the privilege's they enjoy for being White.


Hmm.. Alright. It seems that people hate other people just because of the colour of their skin, and not because of their (or their ancestors) actions. That's kinda racist, isn't it?


Co-Sizzle

none of the northern european countries participated in the slavery either as far as i know.

L Grindin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 345
Joined: April 28th, 2004, 12:40 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Hawthorne
Location: Hawthorne, CA

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by L Grindin » January 1st, 2005, 6:20 pm

CJ wrote:Co-Sizzle

none of the northern european countries participated in the slavery either as far as i know.


In case you were talking to me, what's your point? I never mentioned slavery, nor said which European counties participated in slavery.

Chicano15
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 30
Joined: July 5th, 2004, 2:41 pm
Contact:

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Chicano15 » January 2nd, 2005, 2:21 am

sexy365 wrote:WHITE TEACHERS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO TEACH BLACK HISTORY. AND IF THEY DO THEY CAN ONLY TEACH IT FROM ONE SIDE. THEY CAN ONLY TEACH ABOUT WHAT THEIR RACE DID TO OURS. BUT CAN NEVER TEACH WHAT WE WENT THROUGH. because THEY HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT.


Sorry I have to say this but - when are black people going to get over it?

Anonymous20

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Anonymous20 » January 2nd, 2005, 6:18 am

L Grindin' : no i wasnt talking to u in particular

Michelle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 207
Joined: September 4th, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: England

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Michelle » January 2nd, 2005, 12:15 pm

Chicano15 wrote:
sexy365 wrote:WHITE TEACHERS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO TEACH BLACK HISTORY. AND IF THEY DO THEY CAN ONLY TEACH IT FROM ONE SIDE. THEY CAN ONLY TEACH ABOUT WHAT THEIR RACE DID TO OURS. BUT CAN NEVER TEACH WHAT WE WENT THROUGH. because THEY HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT.


Sorry I have to say this but - when are black people going to get over it?


You're not exactly in the place to say that.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 286
Joined: February 5th, 2005, 6:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Anesis » February 23rd, 2005, 9:34 pm

I'm a white teacher. So, I'm not qualified to teach historical background knowledge for Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry just because of the color of my skin?

Take things on an individual basis rather than lumping people in a category because of skin color. Just because I'm white doesn't mean that I've never been humiliated, discriminated against, ridiculed, or mistreated. People can relate to those issues, which is why it is taught in school to everyone. Like it or not, even white people can identify with those themes. It may not be to the complexity of what happened in the past, but it's a start. I'm not going to spout educational theory, but the point is not WHO teaches it, but HOW it is taught.

I have never called on a black student in front of the entire class to comment on his/her experiences. If a student chooses to share an experience with the class, then I take it as a compliment that the student feels comfortable enough to share.

We talk about all sorts of things in my classroom. I tell my students that some horrible things have happened in America, but you can't just ignore the past. The analogy I use is that it's like a wound on your hand. You can put a band-aid on the sore and hide it behind your back and never check on it, but you risk the chance that the wound gets infected. Sure, it may look pretty with your Scooby-Doo band-aid, but you don't know what is REALLY going on underneath the cover-up.

Now, if you take that band-aid off, keep checking on it, maybe apply some Neosporin to it - it has a much better chance of healing. There will always be a scar, but you have to check it occasionally to make sure that it's not festering.

You can't (or shouldn't, rather) teach history with a personal agenda, and it sounds like that's what some people want/expect. Or perhaps it's that you are afraid white teachers will approach this subject with a personal agenda of their own?

Everyone is going to have prejudices. If a guy walked into the room wearing Wranglers, a cowboy hat, and cowboy boots, most people would assume that he listens to country music. But don't assume it.

Same thing here. Don't assume that I don't know what happened, or that I'm embarrassed to talk about the past, or that I'll try to minimize what happened.

This is dangerous territory.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Sentenza » February 24th, 2005, 6:35 am

i agree with you anesis....

its stupid to say that whites couldnt teach about black history cause its first of all a matter of historical knowledge.
of course its an "advantage" to be directly related to the issue by being a black person, but you dont have to to have knowledge about it.

If you think this thought to the end it would mean that:
Only Chinese from Henan could teach Kung Fu,
only Germans/Austrians/Italians could teach about National Socialism,
only people from New York could rap etc. and so on and so on.
See what i am aiming at? I met many white people having more knowledge about black people than many blacks i met. Whats so wrong about it.
If they teach it for the better of all people i see nothing bad in it.

Peace

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1690
Joined: December 25th, 2004, 10:40 am
Location: Mil town,WIS

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 24th, 2005, 8:39 am

lizard wrote:
L Grindin wrote:Some people hate others because of color, and some hate for past actions, while others hate people for participating in both. Yes it's racist, America was founded on racism, and America continues to be a racist country.


That's a shame. Well, the reason why I asked that in a first place was because my cousin was studying in New York for a year back in the '97 and he told me that at first some were calling him a "white boy" and all that racist BS, but after they found out that he was from Finland, they changed their whole attitude and eventually became a good friends. And I've heard that same story from a couple of others as well.

Then again my girlfriend and her sister were in New York a couple of months ago and were in some record store in Harlem, and couple of guys started to call them whit a racist names. They didn't say nothing back to those guys, but when I heard that I was ready to hop on the plane and come to Harlem to kick some ignorant ass. Before these accidents I though that racism was more of a white peoples "thing" in USA. That black people who have confronted racism would know how stupid that is, and would keep themselves out of it. But I guess hate produces hate.. Just wondering when all that BS will stop. Eye for an eye will make the whole world go blind..


Alot of black people are not racist.However,some black people have a deep,burning hatred for the white race.Its only natural that some people will,esp. with all the crap black people have to and have had to in the past go through.It is ignorant to hate an entire race,but sometimes its hard to not harbour ill feelings for the white race.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1690
Joined: December 25th, 2004, 10:40 am
Location: Mil town,WIS

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 24th, 2005, 2:34 pm

Eye for an eye will make the whole world go blind..

True.But if Im going to be blind,I damn sure want the person that blinded me to suffer the same way that I have.Fuck that turn the other cheek sh**.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 286
Joined: February 5th, 2005, 6:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by Anesis » February 24th, 2005, 3:16 pm

I asked my students today what THEY thought about this (this is 7th grade, mind you), and they were a little startled, but said they did not have a problem with it. Since I am a white teacher and didn't know if they were saying that because I was white, I phrased it in a different way - What problems do you think some people might have with a white person teaching black history?
Answers:
The teacher might be rascist.
The teacher might be biased.
The teacher might say something and unintentionally offend someone. (7th graders said this! They are so awesome!)

I then asked them what to do if they thought that this was happening in a classroom. We discussed talking with the teacher privately, and/or talking with another trusted adult, such as another teacher or parent.


blackmanofhonor, do you really think that type of hate is natural? I think it's ok to realize that that attitude exists, but it's not helping anybody. I've experienced it. I'm not saying your wrong, but don't you think that people should try to work through their issues instead of clinging to them and using the past to validate their own hate? I think this is one reason why things are so tense in the countries with long-standing racial wars. It has to stop somewhere.

The only thing you can have control over is what you say and what you do.

sealivin
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 91
Joined: February 22nd, 2004, 4:10 pm
Location: phoenix, AZ by way of SEA

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by sealivin » February 24th, 2005, 3:46 pm

I feel a white teacher could give a sound understanding of knowledge and facts, any race can. However I feel teaching should have more passion and depth to it. I feel a black man or woman would have a better impact on me (being black) as I know we have a common history and that they have most likely been through what I have. Experience is irreplaceable and drawing from that and relating that to the past can make one more passionate and understanding to their past moreover black history.

White people can never truely understand what we went through and continue to go through today and vice versa. The facts can be put out there but to be able to go beyond that and make one more inspired to learn from the past and apply it to today, would be my ideal teacher.

I'm assuming this is on a college level, as unless things have changed which I DOUBT (i'm 21). Black history is NOT taught in school.

Locked

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”