White teachers teaching black history

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Re: White teachers teaching black history

Unread post by se11 » March 5th, 2005, 10:05 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:MOST of the 50% of unemployed black men are not ''criminals''.They want jobs to work and feed themselves like everyone else.There just arent enough jobs out there.You cant make things appear that arent.But se11,Im done with you,Im wasting my time.Youre ignorant.Hopefully some other people that read this thread can learn a bit.

i understand that. i never said they were. i just said that there are some of them that have dropped out and went to drugs first. if you drop out your not a criminal. but this catagory goes under my no sympathy area, because they are only cheating themselvs. i do however feel for the ones that want jobs but are continually shut down.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 10:45 am

This countries constitution was written by criminals,and its till to this day lead by criminals.The people you erect statues after,carve faces on the sides of mountains and put on your money were criminals.Sick,evil lunatics.The government should guarentee everyone who wants to work a job.Right now what they are doing is planned,its not a coincidence.They want us to fill up the jails.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 11:11 am

blackmanofhonor wrote:This countries constitution was written by criminals,and its till to this day lead by criminals.The people you erect statues after,carve faces on the sides of mountains and put on your money were criminals.Sick,evil lunatics.The government should guarentee everyone who wants to work a job.Right now what they are doing is planned,its not a coincidence.They want us to fill up the jails.

if that's what you believe, i am not changing your mind. i don't believe that. everyone knows the difference between right and wrong. if you sell drugs and go to jail it's nobodys fault but yours.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 11:30 am

if there are arent enough jobs then people will have to sell drugs to survive.You have to eat,you have to have a roof over your head,and this all costs money.Instead of locking everyone up,try creating jobs.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 11:31 am

se11 wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:This countries constitution was written by criminals,and its till to this day lead by criminals.The people you erect statues after,carve faces on the sides of mountains and put on your money were criminals.Sick,evil lunatics.The government should guarentee everyone who wants to work a job.Right now what they are doing is planned,its not a coincidence.They want us to fill up the jails.

if that's what you believe, i am not changing your mind. i don't believe that. everyone knows the difference between right and wrong. if you sell drugs and go to jail it's nobodys fault but yours.

how can you not believe it?you think its just a coincidence the same people amerikkka held as slaves now make up the majority of prison?lol.....

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 11:33 am

since there is a shortage of jobs,and we all know that,I guess black men are just supposed to starve to death and be homeless huh?

damn,I really wish things were reversed so your kind could feel this bullsh*t.

sealivin
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by sealivin » March 6th, 2005, 12:59 pm

se11 wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:MOST of the 50% of unemployed black men are not ''criminals''.They want jobs to work and feed themselves like everyone else.There just arent enough jobs out there.You cant make things appear that arent.But se11,Im done with you,Im wasting my time.Youre ignorant.Hopefully some other people that read this thread can learn a bit.

i understand that. i never said they were. i just said that there are some of them that have dropped out and went to drugs first. if you drop out your not a criminal. but this catagory goes under my no sympathy area, because they are only cheating themselvs. i do however feel for the ones that want jobs but are continually shut down.

Cheating themselves huh? Have you ever contemplated the enviornment that these 50% black men came from? Have you ever questioned what it's like to be in a household were your grandparents and even parents had no rights 40 years ago? You think most of their parents went to College or have degrees, in which they can follow as an example. Throw in durgs prostitution and murder.
I would like to see you go to an inner city school with all these conditions above and see where you end up.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 1:49 pm

i still want to know how many of that 50% actually applied to two jobs before they started selling drugs. how many of them graduated high school. once i get a number out of that 50% then you can say something. i can't believe that all 50% of those guys honestly tried to at least get two jobs.

>You think most of their parents went to College or have degrees, in which they can follow as an example. Throw in durgs prostitution and murder.
I would like to see you go to an inner city school with all these conditions above and see where you end up.

so, if their parents didn't go to college, and don't have an example, they shouldn't try to do it? we don't live in the 40s anymore. there are plenty of colleges out there. why not try to get into one? there are black colleges that they can apply to. why not at least try? i never said it was easy coming from the inner city and rough neighborhoods, i'm just saying its not impossiable.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:07 pm

^^^in the eyes of the average white person,nothing that happened over 40 years ago is supposed to effect us.''ok,you got your rights in 1964,so everything is equal now and anything wrong in your community is only YOUR fault''.LOL.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:09 pm

its not that its their own fault its just most gangbangers and all that are stuck, they cant get no job, not all but a lot of them have nothin better to do, and not just gang bangers ppl whos living near them see that and its a viscious cycle, if u want things to get better u gotta fix it from the inside u cant allways be cryin about it

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:11 pm

the 50% are only those currently looking for jobs,they dont count the ones that just stopped trying after filling out application after application.Ill post the article that states that,if I can find it.I remember when i was young and fresh out of high school,I swear i filled out 50 applications before I landed a job at a temp hiring agency.And I only got that job because a friend of the family plugged me with it.I sold drugs for awhile and luckily i never got caught.
Last edited by blackmanofhonor on March 6th, 2005, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:12 pm

fistfullofboomstick wrote:its not that its their own fault its just most gangbangers and all that are stuck, they cant get no job, not all but a lot of them have nothin better to do, and not just gang bangers ppl whos living near them see that and its a viscious cycle, if u want things to get better u gotta fix it from the inside u cant allways be cryin about it

you know nothing of the life of a black man in america.Nobody is crying,we are stating facts.Alot of the problems in our community dont come from the ''inside''.What about the ''outside'' fixing itself for a damn change????

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:17 pm

Black jobs recovery on life support
One in nine African Americans cannot find workBy Renee D. Turner

Updated: 4:07 p.m. ET April 29, 2004"Where there is massive unemployment in the black community, it is called a social problem. But when there is massive unemployment in the white community, it is called a depression." -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the Local 1199 Salute to Freedom March, 1968.
The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s words have never been truer.

The black community is suffering a major depression.

One in nine African Americans cannot find work, according to “The State of the Dream 2004” report that the economic civil rights group United for A Fair Economy produced earlier this year.

Even with the economy producing more jobs last month than it has in four years, black unemployment continues to rise. This month's Labor Department report puts black unemployment at 10.2 percent -- nearly twice that of Whites.

That's not news to professionals such as Vanessa Henry, 24, a Baltimore schoolteacher.

"I never thought I'd be unemployed this long," says Henry, who is getting by with help from her parents after 10 months of unemployment. "I've applied for jobs, and they say, `We've been inundated with resumes.' Many of the offers are so low, you think, 'How am I supposed to live? '"

She is not alone, by a long shot. At least half of all jobless black workers, according to the Congressional black Caucus, have been out of work 10 months or more. And those who simply gave up looking for work don’t even show up in the jobless numbers.

A Million Turned Off

For instance, in Massachusetts , which lost 200,000 jobs over the past three years, officials say the state unemployment rate dropped from 5.6 percent in January to 5.3 in February mostly because thousands of job-seekers considered their work search futile.

Nationally, the number of discouraged job-hunters is estimated at more than a million.

You'd think they'd find some optimism in the March jobs numbers. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to cheer. While the economy produced roughly 308,000 jobs last month -- a fraction of the 2.2 million jobs that have vanished in the last three years -- unemployment went up any way because there were just as many or more new workers looking for work as those out of work.

"Certainly, there's been a big improvement over the last few months, but it's not at a level that can really sustain a recovery," says Dr. Charles Betsey, a Howard University economist. "It would require between 1.5 and 2 million jobs every year to keep up with the growth in the population. We're clearly not at that rate."

Bleaker for black Men

The picture is even bleaker for black men, half of whom are out of work in New York and other major urban centers, according to labor reports.

"Quite frankly, there's a public policy indifference," says Julianne Malveax, an economist and nationally syndicated columnist. "Imagine how we would respond if we had 50 percent of White men who were unemployed. For some people it's OK for black men to be unemployed."

The reasons for the difference in black and White unemployment are as complex as they are insidious, economists say.

Over the past several decades the unemployment rate for blacks has been double that of whites. The exception was at the start of the new millennium. black unemployment fell to below 7 percent in 1999 and 2000, the lowest rate on record, says Betsy Leondar-Wright, a sociologist and co-author of the State of the Dream 2004.

At the time black workers were enjoying the highest level of employment, the nation also was experiencing unprecedented economic growth. Overall unemployment in 2000 was at an all-time low of 4 percent and, contrary to what many economists theorized, black unemployment dropped, too, without setting off inflation.

But now black workers are battling the worst job market in 25 years. And, in an anemic economy, black workers have a harder time bouncing back, says Leondar-Wright and other observers. In part, they say, you can blame a deficit in the job skills and education needed to compete. It's also a matter of location.

Places with the greatest number of layoffs -- 50 workers or more -- are black strongholds. For instance, there were 1,000 layoffs at Ford in St. Louis and 3,000 at Cigna in Philadelphia , reports United for A Fair Economy.

"When Autoliv closed its seat belt plant in Indianapolis , more than 75 percent of the laid-off workers were African Americans," Michael Barnes, director of an Indiana AFL-CIO training program for laid-off workers, told A Fair Economy.

Gains Wiped Out

"Many of them are young adults hired in the late 1990s labor shortage, despite lacking a high school diploma, who now have few options," he says. "They were taken from the street into decent-paying jobs...started families, dug in, took apartments, purchased vehicles. It was an up-from-the-street experience for them, and now they are being returned to their old environment."

Location, non-competitive skills and education are only half of the story. Another significant factor in high black unemployment that some market analysts say cannot be swept under the rug is job discrimination.

The Discrimination Factor

"Half of the racial difference [in unemployment figures] you can attribute to a difference in skills. The rest you have to attribute to racism," Patrick Mason, a Florida State economist who also presides over the National Economic Association, said, adding that the "last hired, first fired" rule still applies to black workers.

"The State of the Dream 2004" report, sites a University of Chicago and Massachusetts Institute of Technology study that found that job applicants with "White-sounding" names were 50 percent more likely to be invited for an initial interview than those with "black-sounding" names in the same skill set.

What needs to happen to improve black employment? Many observers say it will take a combination of more federal dollars specifically targeting black workers with job training programs. Still others say programs won't help much unless there's a national effort to root out job discrimination.

National Urban League President and CEO Marc H. Morial put it this way in the League's report on the state of black America: "The last recession has had a severe and disproportionate impact on African Americans and minority communities, and the creation of jobs must be the first and foremost agenda of the nation's business, labor and political leaders."

© 2005 BET.com. All rights reserved.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 2:18 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:^^^in the eyes of the average white person,nothing that happened over 40 years ago is supposed to effect us.''ok,you got your rights in 1964,so everything is equal now and anything wrong in your community is only YOUR fault''.LOL.

i never said everything is your fault. it's just that i am neutral on the whole drug dealer thing. i am not the one that is going to be calling the cops that i know someone is selling drugs, but i am also not going to go and buy drugs either. i feel sorry for dealers when they are busted because it's fucked up that they lock up people for selling things like weed. but, i don't feel bad because they all know the risks and rewards it has.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:19 pm

think about the BS u just sed to me, u bin cryin on this forum for a while now, why would the outside fix itself if this is what they want, if it doesnt affect ppl on the outside why would someone want to fix it from the outside

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:19 pm

The State of the Dream 2004" report, sites a University of Chicago and Massachusetts Institute of Technology study that found that job applicants with "White-sounding" names were 50 percent more likely to be invited for an initial interview than those with "black-sounding" names in the same skill set.

^^^^ messed up isnt it?

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:20 pm

the whole drug thing, i think they should turn a blind eye to shit like weed that doesnt harm nobody, like i kno ppl thats the only way they get money

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:21 pm

fistfullofboomstick wrote:think about the BS u just sed to me, u bin cryin on this forum for a while now, why would the outside fix itself if this is what they want, if it doesnt affect ppl on the outside why would someone want to fix it from the outside

thats the problem devil.they dont care because it only effects black people.Im not crying fag,Im posting my thoughts and opinions on a forum.thats what forums are for.This is an amerikkkan issue stay out of it,you canadians have nothing to do with it.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 2:22 pm

here's something i found as well.

Workforce Development
August 6, 2004
The Big Idea: Black Male Unemployment in NYC, 2004
By David Jason Fischer

It's not news that the economic damage of the recent recession and subsequent "jobless recovery" was unevenly spread. While employment has ticked upward in 2004, many of the groups hit hardest in the downturn have endured the added injury of a lag in bouncing back. Arguably the most prominent has been African-American men, who are experiencing a severe and ongoing crisis in employment.
Earlier this year, the Community Service Society of New York (CSSNY) released a powerful and disturbing study on this phenomenon. The data suggest that this is a crisis we are entirely unequipped to address through any systems currently in place--and that politics or policy as usual simply won't cut it if we're serious about addressing this problem.

The CSSNY report paints a deeply unsettling picture. Senior Policy Analyst Mark Levitan found that almost half the city's black male population did not work in 2003. Only 51.8 percent of African-American men held jobs, compared to 75.7 percent of white men and 65.7 percent of Hispanic males. (Official government statistics, which offer a less bleak view, fail to include individuals not actively looking for work when measuring unemployment.) Worse still, Levitan found that the percentage of black men working had dropped by 12.2 percent since 2000. Considering the meager growth in black male employment during the sustained economic expansion of the 1990s, black men are substantially worse off in terms of employment now than they were at this point in the last business cycle.

Experts who caution against overreaction to findings such as these generally characterize the cyclical economy as a force of nature, resistant to human intervention. But there's reason to believe that the labor market changes of the last several years are qualitatively different from those of previous downturns. As Federal Reserve Bank economists Erica Groshen and Simon Potter wrote last year, the jobless recovery is largely explained by structural changes in the workforce, both locally and nationally. Groshen and Potter point to "the predominance of permanent job losses over temporary layoffs and the relocation of jobs from one industry to another. The data suggest that most of the jobs added during the recovery have been new positions in different firms and industries, not rehires."

In other words, there's reason to suspect that recent patterns of job creation and job destruction have strongly militated against black male New Yorkers. If the positions erased in recent years, including many semiskilled jobs in fields like manufacturing and construction, were disproportionately filled by black men--who for a variety of reasons did not migrate into newly created positions in different firms and industries--that indicates a much more serious need for action by the public sector than if we can simply chalk up job losses to the vagaries of the business cycle.

Blatant, Bull Connor-style racism isn't the main problem here, but the legacy of past discrimination is part of the equation--most notably, persistent patterns of segregation in housing and the physical dislocation of minority communities from those in which job growth is taking place. Low levels of education and inadequate job skills also help explain these distressing employment numbers, as does a relative absence of peer networks connected to work--informal connections that help job seekers find out about and pursue openings.

So what's to be done? We can make progress toward solving this problem by improving educational opportunities in poor communities and by forging greater connections between employers and those communities. Postsecondary education has a huge role to play here; earlier this year, the Center for an Urban Future released a report detailing how the City University of New York has taken on a larger role in workforce development, offering a range of programs in adult and continuing education and publicly provided welfare-to-work training. Both offer hope of progress.

But the problem of lagging employment in minority and low-income communities is too large to be solved by a handful of public or private sector initiatives, working in isolation. It's encouraging, for instance, that City Council recently allocated $10 million for emergency re-employment and other worthy causes, but considering the scope of the problem, the gesture amounts to little more than symbolism. This issue embraces workforce policy, economic development, education and community development, and to address it effectively will require government and community leaders in all those fields to transcend turf issues and collaborate in new ways.

This is easy to theorize about, but fiendishly difficult to put into practice. In a report the Center for an Urban Future produced last year in partnership with the Albany-based New York Association of Training and Employment Professionals, we detailed a crying need for coordination in workforce policy. Support comes from 29 distinct funding streams, and authority is shared among a plethora of federal, state and city agencies--but they generally fail to coordinate resources, or even share information. Extrapolate these failures of resource- and information-sharing across several different policy fields, and you start to get a sense of the magnitude of this challenge.

But progress is possible, with political leadership and sustained administrative focus to impose coordination and harness disparate resources toward shared policy goals. Changes to the New York City workforce system under the leadership of Commissioner Rob Walsh and the Department of Small Business Services (DSBS) offer some encouragement. Despite limited resources in the wake of federal and state budget cuts, and the challenges of developing and implementing a workforce policy virtually on the fly, DSBS has shown a willingness to make needed changes and create new linkages--for example, the planned colocation of small business and workforce centers throughout the city.

While deploying our resources to attack the deep roots of this problem, the city and state can and should take several short-term steps:

Push for the renewal of federal Temporary Extended Unemployment Compensation, an issue the 108th Congress has left unaddressed. An economic multiplier effect, as CSSNY cites in its report, will both contribute to our local economy and somewhat ameliorate conditions for the unemployed.

Explore transitional employment through wage subsidies, possibly along the lines of the effort led by the Consortium for Worker Education and Seedco following September 11. This successful initiative used federal funding to subsidize wages, saving jobs at small businesses in Lower Manhattan and other affected communities. Agencies can also launch efforts to assess the skills of workers, using the opportunity of temporary work to attach them to the city workforce system on a more permanent basis. The welfare client assessment program conducted by a number of CUNY campuses, which won praise from both city and university officials before budget cuts forced its early cancellation last year, could serve as a model for this effort.

Launch a pilot program targeted toward structural underemployment, through the governor's discretionary funds under the federal Workforce Investment Act. The Pataki administration has mostly used these funds to serve workers who have lost their jobs through dislocations, such as plant closings. Taking on the fundamental labor market changes arguably at the root of the black male unemployment crisis would represent a logical extension of this philosophy.

Collaborate with labor to affirmatively hire for infrastructure projects. This approach, favored by CSSNY President David R. Jones among others, could utilize mechanisms already in place. Such programs include the Construction Skills 2000 collaboration between the Building Trades Council and Building Trades Employers Association.
The CSSNY study points toward a foreboding trend in New York's economy: the bifurcation of the labor market into high-paying jobs for those with skills and credentials employers demand, and a scuffle at the low end of the service economy for most everybody else. Changing this pattern will require sustained leadership and bold thinking on the part of public officials and an equally strong response among educators, employers, labor leaders and nonprofit service providers.

http://www.nycfuture.org/content/report ... ea=workpol

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:22 pm

whenever someone even talks about these issues,you are ''crying'' or ''whining''.WTF is wrong with you people?

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:23 pm

it is, its racist man i never said it wasnt, but ppl have to work to get rid of negative stereotypes, and speaking on views like this on a forum called streetgangs.com althou i love this forum its not gonna help get rid of certain strereotypes

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:24 pm

dont call me devil

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:25 pm

youre a devil.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:25 pm

i aint ccalled u nigger so dont call me devil, thats all im asking

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:26 pm

if i was speaking about some Bloods cappin at some Crips,that would be ok and nobody would call it whining.Talk about other problems in the black community,then all of a sudden you are ''bitching''.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:27 pm

fistfullofboomstick wrote:i aint ccalled u nigger so dont call me devil, thats all im asking

^^^in my opinion you are a devil.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 2:28 pm

"The CSSNY report paints a deeply unsettling picture. Senior Policy Analyst Mark Levitan found that almost half the city's black male population did not work in 2003. Only 51.8 percent of African-American men held jobs, compared to 75.7 percent of white men and 65.7 percent of Hispanic males. (Official government statistics, which offer a less bleak view, fail to include individuals not actively looking for work when measuring unemployment.) Worse still, Levitan found that the percentage of black men working had dropped by 12.2 percent since 2000. Considering the meager growth in black male employment during the sustained economic expansion of the 1990s, black men are substantially worse off in terms of employment now than they were at this point in the last business cycle."

51.8% hold jobs. that means the other 49.2 do not. this means all of them as whole. it counts "the ones that just stopped trying after filling out application after application" -coming right from you.

if i could make a difference i would. but i am not a boss, i dont own any company. i am aware of the problem. but, by you coming and constantly putting white people down, i am going to respond. you continually fail to acknowledge the fact that there are white people that have no problem with blacks, arent intimidated, and dont mind working and living with them. you think every white boss is out to destroy your life, which i know for a fact is not true.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:28 pm

u were stating a problem untill u started applying it to a group saying its white ppls faults, it is SOME white ppl fault not all, thats why i said you were whining

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:29 pm

well in my opinion you are worthless, do u have a job?

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:29 pm

I dont know how many times I have to tell you this,but i have never said all whites are like that.Those that arent like that are not part of the problem.Im talking about the whole bunch that are.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:30 pm

fistfullofboomstick wrote:well in my opinion you are worthless, do u have a job?

not only do I have a job,but im doing pretty good for myself and in a few years I will be able to employ others.If im worthless to some devil in canada,do you honestly think that effects my life?

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 2:30 pm

ok then i apologise, i have never seen u ssay that till now, but dude, dont call me a devil

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”