WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES ?

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1066
Joined: June 12th, 2003, 10:26 am

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » August 29th, 2004, 6:05 pm

I checked out Lil Italy this past weekend, place is all right I guess. Sandwiches are ok too. Roast Beef Sandwhiches of course...LOL.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1066
Joined: June 12th, 2003, 10:26 am

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » August 29th, 2004, 6:24 pm

lonewolf wrote:I can understand real well why a black man would get all pissed off when called the "N" word, but knowing full well what the word "Mayate" means, I can not relate that easy how it can be compared to the "N" word.

I know that now a days there is too much sh-t between Blacks & Mejicanos, therefore Mayate is taken to be just as offensive as any other word said in anger or with hate, and it can go both ways with say a Black Man calling an Ese a Mexican in the wrong tone or frased in a way that would of been just as well to have used the name beaner or wetback.

This goes precicely to my question on where does the word Mayate come from and what does it mean? For instance "beaner" is used in a deragatory way, but basically it means a bean eater right? And the same deragatory usage for "wetback", but all it really means is - illegal immigrant - right?

Now, does anybody know what Mayate means?
Does it equal with the "N" word?
What is the politically correct word for a Black person in spanish?

I put forward this question because I have gotten some flak for using the word Mayate myself, therefore I'm welcoming a dialogue on the word and meaning itself. I don't want to make this a racial issue but a learning communication dialogue.

I feel that if I use the word PINACATE, TERRON, MEMIN PINGUIN, CHANATE to name a few of the words us Mexicans use in a "real" deragatory way on Blacks, then I would be just another racist s.o.b. on this site. But all I have dome with using the word Mayate is simply speak as we truly speak amongst ourselves, not even giving it a second thought, not being racist, not feeling superior to anybody, "just simple street language". CAN ANYBODY FEEL ME ON THIS?
I understand what your saying, because from your timeline there wasn't so much black vs. brown beef. I think the youngsters or at least cats from the 80's, 90s especially have a different understanding of the word "mayate". Any active black banger now will feel disrespected using that term towards them. It is what it is. Even though back in your time it might not have been a racial dis...today is today.

Words like "spick" I thought just meant Puerto Ricans/Cubans. I thought they only use that on the East Coast like New York and Florida. I don't ever remember westcoasters using the word "spick" to call hispanics, only East Coast transplants that ended up living here use that word.

WOPS is "without papers" used as a dis to Italians, another East Coast word. Never really heard it, because there aren't too many Italians out here.

As the word "mayate" has been now converted to a derogatory term for blacks...I think tone has a lot to do with it to. Calling them "morenos" or "negritos" with intonation can be derogatory too right, especially if your putting emphasis on the word in a sentence. But what is a proper spanish word that they wouldn't get offended. I think no matter what, you can call them black in any language and it might be offensive to them anyways because they dont' understand what your saying.

Is it offensive to hispanics when blacks call them "Mexicans", "wetbacks", "beaners", or simply "mexican" in a tone other than respectful? I think it could be offensive just calling someone Mexican in a derogatory tone, depends how you say it. Like "damn that mexican almost hit me"...I mean in one sense you can use that to describe the person and in another sense your tone could be showing contempt of that person. Now when the veteranos tell you "yeah this mayate told me a funny ass joke" you probably aren't talking negative on the person, but someone outside of the conversation might get offended.

So all in all, maybe it's just that cats should mind their own business or keep their conversations to themselves so no one will get the wrong idea?
If you use it in a public area, be ready to back up what you say or be ready to defend yourself?

All in all, it's about respect of each other and in order to be peaceful, everyone needs to learn how to communicate with each other without offending. No communication means no understanding.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1322
Joined: January 19th, 2004, 10:31 am
Location: W/S Santa Ana

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Panik » August 29th, 2004, 6:29 pm

pretty much dusty. I know when I'm tryin to be rude, I'll say mascans or just esses, but you can damn well tell by the way I'm sayin it that it is meant to disrespect. Same thing. As for wops, yeah, it was east coast, cuz that's where they arrived. It is no different than wetback or wab for mexicans, or FOB for asians. At one time, Italians were treated just as bada as any other immigrant, and were considered a low form of human by other americans.

stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 440
Joined: May 26th, 2004, 10:30 am
Location: OLD TOWN NATIONAL CITY

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT » August 29th, 2004, 6:47 pm

Basically you have touched all major issues and the mayate term was basically to me and my homeboys to describe a black dude and typically in depended on what type of tone you used it in. I could be trying to describe an individual in the clink and telling one of the homeboys oh that one mayate who gave you the UNOPENED flajos, because I wouldn't say anything in a deragatory demanor since that black guy made a kind gesture and gave my friend a new pack of cigarettes. Why there new and unopened is another story only the torcidos would understand that one. But if some black guys stole my moms car radio and i knew or had an Idea who may have done it, then I would tell my brothers oh those pinche mayates up the block probably tooks mom's stereo. For everyone here of all creeds to honestly say they have no racist bone in them then there completely lying because out of frustration and the biggest way to talk or feel good about yourself if you don't know the person from atom then you would start w/ their race. EVen those illegals and I'm mexican but if they do something stupid to make me upset then i'll say something deragatory about them probably call them a wetback or a stupid paisa. But when the hate and real racism comes in tact is when you smash on someone of another color completley because you despise their skin color or race and that's crazy and wrong. See on the streets or in jail I may have siad racial terms w/ a riot or street justice is serve but I didn't really mean it in a hate racial way, because that's all I know. Just like how we dis rival hoods and come out w/ names that were unheard of. Same thing goes here. See when I smash on a wood, mayate, or a chino, it's all justified because of the organization life style I signed up for. I'm not smashing because I hate their skin color it's because we have opposing views upon our underworld lifestyle and this is the only way we know how to resolve our differences. Just like monster kody said in the documentary about b's and c's that he hated surenos and fu** sewer rats and he said he only hated those mexicans who gang banged and no the entire mexican race. Well same goes here when the beef is on.
Now VArrio Wop Town they didn't give there hood that name becuase they grew a dislike for italians it was the first civilized white men from SD who gave that certain territory that name because they were being racial and it was mostly populated w/ newly arrived Italians. Then a group of Mexicans w/ poor income moved up in there and wanted to give there barrio a name so they went by wop town, because when they asked their parents where they lived WOP TOWN was the answer and they just rolled w/ it. So for those giving the big dog LOnewolf flak for using the term Mayate he doesn't mean it the way you guys obtain the message he's using it by means of communication amongst those he's talking to.

Y.G.
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2201
Joined: August 6th, 2003, 1:12 am

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Y.G. » August 30th, 2004, 1:27 am

MOST BLACK FOLKS LOOK AT MAYATE AS NIGGER IN SPANISH AND THATS HOW A LOT OF MEXICANS SAY IT SO THATS WHY WE TAKE IT LIKE THAT AND ARE READY TO FIGHT.

Young Nile
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 965
Joined: September 1st, 2003, 10:22 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOL
Location: http://allhood.proboards.com/index.cgi
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Young Nile » August 30th, 2004, 1:29 am

On the reals though. I realy dont know how to feel about that word anymore...

When I was a teenager and I heard it I felt straight disrespected. But after going to prison having conversations with older Vetarono's up in there I started noticing that every body who uses the word doesn't mean it in a bad way...

So now when I here it I just go off of what situation or who is saying it...And your right Dusty, there probaly isn't a spanish discription of the word Black person that a Black person wouldn't find offensive. I mean not all of us. Some of us will be able to distenguish disrespect from just latan slang...

I guess its a double edge sword though. I have been ofter told that Hispanics dont like being called Ese's by Black's. Even though we really dont mean any disrespect when we use that word. Probally because we here Hispanics use the word so loosley... Same with the N word. We use the word loosely but get mad when someone calls us that.

Just talking about this is kinda funny to me. Because there was a time when Blacks only had to worry about Whites calling us out of our name same for Hispanics as well...

Cutthroat333
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 92
Joined: April 21st, 2004, 3:06 pm
Location: PASADENA CA

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Cutthroat333 » August 30th, 2004, 12:06 pm

I'VE BEEN INVITED TO THIS TOPIC AND ITS CRAZY WHAT SOME HAVE TO SAY TOWARDS THE "MAYATE" ISSUE. WHATS EVEN FUNNIER IS EVEN THO I UNDERSTAND WHERE PEOPLE LIKE LONEWOLF OR STICKUP IS COMIN FROM, SURPRISINGLY I AGREE MORE WITH WHAT PANIK OR YG IS SAYIN. THIS IS A NEW DAY AND WE NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON WHATS NOW. IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT MAYATE USED TO MEAN FOR SPANISH PEOPLE. FOR ME, I FIND IT OFFENSIVE IN ANY KIND OF TONE. MAYATE IS THE SPANISH "NIGGER" TO BLACKS, PERIOD. MY PROBLEM IS WHY DO SPANISH PEOPLE DONT JUST SPEAK ENGLISH WHEN IN THE PRESCENCE OF NON SPANISH SPEAKIN PEOPLE. WHY DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO MAKE NEW TERMS BECAUSE PEOPLE GET CLOSER TO KNOWIN WHAT THEYRE SAYIN? ITS ALREADY RUDE TO SPEAK ENTIRE CONVERSATIONS IN SPANISH OR WHATEVER ELSE IN FRONT OF COMPANY THAT DOESNT BUT NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT EITHER. I GOT MEXICAN HOMIES AND THEY SPEAK GREAT ENGLISH BUT EVERY NOW AND THEN WHEN SOMETHING PERSONAL OR SOME "INSIDE" THING COMES INTO PLAY, THEY SWITCH TONGUES AND I CHECK THEM ON THAT. AT LEAST HAVE THE RESPECT TO WALK OFF SOMEWHERE THEN. DONT STAND IN FRONT OF ME AND ALL OF A SUDDEN TAKE ME OUT OF THE VERBAL LOOP, FEEL ME? NO ONE WOULD LIKE IT IF ALL BLACK AMERICANS LEARNED SWAHILI AND ENGLISH BECAME OUR SECOND LANGUAGE. BUT ANYWAY THE POINT IS, EVEN THO A BROWN BROTHER MAY NOT MEAN TO BE DISRESPECTFUL, HE IS STILL AWARE THAT A BLACK MAN OR THE BLACK RACE WILL STILL FIND CERTAIN THINGS OFFENSIVE. KNOWING THIS, HE STILL STICKS TO SAYIN WHAT HE WANTS TOWARDS THE BLACK MAN BECAUSE DEEP DOWN HE DOESNT BEAR ENOUGH RESPECT TO EITHER CHANGE HIS LINGO OR STOP USIN IT ALL TOGETHER. WHEN BIGGIE WAS SINGIN "ME AND MY BITCH", HE WAS TALKIN BOUT A GIRL IN A GOOD WAY. BUT THAT DONT MEAN HIS GIRL AINT GONE STILL BE OFFENDED FOR BEIN CALLED A DOWN ASS "BITCH", LOL. I THINK ITS EASIER IF A BROWN BROTHER TALKIN TO A BLACK BROTHER, INSTEAD OF THINKIN ABOUT NEW UNOFFENSIVE TERMS FOR DESCRIBIN THE BLACK MAN, HE SHOULD JUST TALK ENGLISH AND SAY "BLACK" OR "BROTHER" OR SOMETHIN TO THAT EFFECT. YOU CANT SIT UP ALL NAIVE ABOUT THE WORLD AND THINK CAUSE U GOT PURELY GOOD INTENTIONS, AINT NOBODY GONE TRIP OFF YO WORDS. U CAN BE AS NICE AS U WANT BUT THERES NO WAY I CAN ACCEPT BEIN CALLED A MAYATE WITHOUT THERE BEIN PROBLEMS...
Last edited by Cutthroat333 on August 31st, 2004, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4138
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES ?

Unread post by Lonewolf » August 30th, 2004, 5:27 pm

Cutthroat333, you used the words "spanish brothers" to refer to us Mexicans, I know that you were not intending to be disrespectful towards us by using that term in your reply & used it in an inocent way.
I know that you're not aware that a lot of us Mexicans will take offense to that name "SP BRO", since you don't have an understanding whatsoever of our struggle versus the white man in our motherland, be they Spaniards, French or North Americans, and we have fought wars against all 3 of them. The Spaniards dispossessed us of our lands, anihilated millions of our ancestors, enslaved our people under a serfdom system, from which we were not able to free ourselves until the Mexican Revolution.
Therefore I ain't trippin' on your use of "SPANISH BROTHERS" because you were inocent about it, so why is someone going to trip on the term "mayate" when it is not being utilized in an offensive manner "only a form of communication amongst us".
People make it racial in my opinion, and take it out of context altogether.

Cutthroat333
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 92
Joined: April 21st, 2004, 3:06 pm
Location: PASADENA CA

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Cutthroat333 » August 31st, 2004, 7:30 am

RIGHT I CAN FEEL YOU ON THAT WOLF. I USE SPANISH BROTHERS BECAUSE I WOULD SAY BLACK BROTHERS AND I CONSIDER ALL PEOPLE OF COLOR TO BE CONNECTED. NOW THAT I KNOW ITS OFFENSIVE, I WONT SAY IT CAUSE I GOT RESPECT. THATS MY POINT. WHILE I'M AT IT, I WANT YOU TO TELL ME WHAT YOU DO THINK IS A MORE CORRECT TERM TO REFER TO THE BROWN. I KNOW THERE ARE DIFFERENT NATIONALITIES LIKE OF COURSE THERES A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEXICANS AND SPANIARDS AND PUERTO RICANS, ETC. IS THERE A GENERAL TERM OR IS IT REALLY NARROWED DOWN TO WHERE YOURE SPECIFICALLY FROM. LIKE CHINESE AND JAPANESE ARE DIFFERENT BUT THEY ARE GENERALLY REFERRED TO AS ASIANS AND AT THE SAME TIME IF U GENERALIZE THEM with THE TERM "ORIENTALS", THEY GET OFFENDED SO I FEEL WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT. IF I GOT HOMIES OF A DIFFERENT RACE AND I OFFEND THEM SOMEHOW I GOT NO PROBLEM HAVIN THEM TEACH ME WHAT I CAN SAY OR DO TO KEEP IT RIGHT...

Young Nile
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 965
Joined: September 1st, 2003, 10:22 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOL
Location: http://allhood.proboards.com/index.cgi
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Young Nile » August 31st, 2004, 11:52 am

Cutthroat333 wrote:I'VE BEEN INVITED TO THIS TOPIC AND ITS CRAZY WHAT SOME HAVE TO SAY TOWARDS THE "MAYATE" ISSUE. WHATS EVEN FUNNIER IS EVEN THO I UNDERSTAND WHERE PEOPLE LIKE LONEWOLF OR STICKUP IS COMIN FROM, SURPRISINGLY I AGREE MORE WITH WHAT PANIK OR YG IS SAYIN. THIS IS A NEW DAY AND WE NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON WHATS NOW. IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT MAYATE USED TO MEAN FOR SPANISH PEOPLE. FOR ME, I FIND IT OFFENSIVE IN ANY KIND OF TONE. MAYATE IS THE SPANISH "NIGGER" TO BLACKS, PERIOD. MY PROBLEM IS WHY DO SPANISH PEOPLE DONT JUST SPEAK ENGLISH WHEN IN THE PRESCENCE OF NON SPANISH SPEAKIN PEOPLE. WHY DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO MAKE NEW TERMS BECAUSE PEOPLE GET CLOSER TO KNOWIN WHAT THEYRE SAYIN? ITS ALREADY RUDE TO SPEAK ENTIRE CONVERSATIONS IN SPANISH OR WHATEVER ELSE IN FRONT OF COMPANY THAT DOESNT BUT NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT EITHER. I GOT MEXICAN HOMIES AND THEY SPEAK GREAT ENGLISH BUT EVERY NOW AND THEN WHEN SOMETHING PERSONAL OR SOME "INSIDE" THING COMES INTO PLAY, THEY SWITCH TONGUES AND I CHECK THEM ON THAT. AT LEAST HAVE THE RESPECT TO WALK OFF SOMEWHERE THEN. DONT STAND IN FRONT OF ME AND ALL OF A SUDDEN TAKE ME OUT OF THE VERBAL LOOP, FEEL ME? NO ONE WOULD LIKE IT IF ALL BLACK AMERICANS LEARNED SWAHILI AND ENGLISH BECAME OUR SECOND LANGUAGE. BUT ANYWAY THE POINT IS, EVEN THO A BROWN BROTHER MAY NOT MEAN TO BE DISRESPECTFUL, HE IS STILL AWARE THAT A BLACK MAN OR THE BLACK RACE WILL STILL FIND CERTAIN THINGS OFFENSIVE. KNOWING THIS, HE STILL STICKS TO SAYIN WHAT HE WANTS TOWARDS THE BLACK MAN BECAUSE DEEP DOWN HE DOESNT BEAR ENOUGH RESPECT TO EITHER CHANGE HIS LINGO OR STOP USIN IT ALL TOGETHER. WHEN BIGGIE WAS SINGIN "ME AND MY BITCH", HE WAS TALKIN BOUT A GIRL IN A GOOD WAY. BUT THAT DONT MEAN HIS GIRL AINT GONE STILL BE OFFENDED FOR BEIN CALLED A DOWN ASS "BITCH", LOL. I THINK ITS EASIER IF A BROWN BROTHER TALKIN TO A BLACK BROTHER, INSTEAD OF THINKIN ABOUT NEW UNOFFENSIVE TERMS FOR DESCRIBIN THE BLACK MAN, HE SHOULD JUST TALK ENGLISH AND SAY "BLACK" OR "BROTHER" OR SOMETHIN TO THAT EFFECT. YOU CANT SIT UP ALL NAIVE ABOUT THE WORLD AND THINK CAUSE U GOT PURELY GOOD INTENTIONS, AINT NOBODY GONE TRIP OFF YO WORDS. U CAN BE AS NICE AS U WANT BUT THERES NO WAY I CAN ACCEPT BEIN CALLED A MAYATE WITHOUT THERE BEIN PROBLEMS...
Thats the realist thing I've herad in In a while. I got nothing but respect...

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4138
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Lonewolf » August 31st, 2004, 1:10 pm

Cutthroat333 wrote:.. I WANT YOU TO TELL ME WHAT YOU DO THINK IS A MORE CORRECT TERM TO REFER TO THE BROWN.. IF I GOT HOMIES OF A DIFFERENT RACE AND I OFFEND THEM SOMEHOW I GOT NO PROBLEM HAVIN THEM TEACH ME WHAT I CAN SAY OR DO TO KEEP IT RIGHT...
Fine truth... If you want to come out on level eyes, you can never be wrong with just "CARNAL", just like Blackmen show their equality and respect with each other with using "BROTHER", the same goes for us with "CARNAL". I'll emphasize "on level eyes" because even "AMIGO" can be miscontrued if not on level eyes.
To me, I go back to how someone comes at you, we all know how to use our mind, and if somebody is saying the most inocent word in the wrong way, then it is on, just like you said. On the other hand if we are coming in here to share our history, our ways, and everything that goes with, I truly don't beleive we should be concentrating on banging on each other as opposed to learning and understanding the other side, for how else will we get beyond our biases, bigotry, and racist stereotypes which we have grown up with, in other words don't trip if it ain't on you, for even amongst our own race, we use names to refer to each other, "but it ain't racial". I'll be very honest with you all, I like everybody else on here have these errors in me, but I come here with the privilege that Alonso grants me, to try and get some dialogue going, both for the companionship we lack in our daily routine in which nobody understands our ways from the street, as well as for education to the younger generation in order to contribute positively that all is good in measure, it is not what you do - but why do you do it. I've been inocent to a degree on my usage on the name "mayates", and I can only re-state that I was communicating as "us spanish speakers" do all the time.
I invited you all because I've read a lot of your posts, and all of you came up as true people. I wished that a few others would of taken my invitation, but the ones that did have demostrated enough light on the subject. Peace to all, keep your heads up and your minds in focus. Signed Lonewolf.

Note: As to speaking spanish when others present don't understand, well I think that is another subject topic that maybe we can start a dialogue on.

User avatar
BIGG LISTO
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 682
Joined: July 2nd, 2003, 4:08 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOS
Location: WESTSIDE ALLEY x TINY CRIMINALES 3CE THE BLVDS

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by BIGG LISTO » August 31st, 2004, 6:06 pm

Its good to see that we can discuss this without trippin on each other especially with all the Brown vs. Black sh.. going on today.

Young Nile
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 965
Joined: September 1st, 2003, 10:22 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: LOL
Location: http://allhood.proboards.com/index.cgi
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Young Nile » August 31st, 2004, 11:33 pm

Lonewolf,

I can call a Hispanic dude Carnal, however wouldn't some find that somewhat offensive because they might think I'm trying to mock them.

Y.G.
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2201
Joined: August 6th, 2003, 1:12 am

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Y.G. » September 1st, 2004, 2:31 am

Cutthroat333 wrote:RIGHT I CAN FEEL YOU ON THAT WOLF. I USE SPANISH BROTHERS BECAUSE I WOULD SAY BLACK BROTHERS AND I CONSIDER ALL PEOPLE OF COLOR TO BE CONNECTED. NOW THAT I KNOW ITS OFFENSIVE, I WONT SAY IT CAUSE I GOT RESPECT. THATS MY POINT. WHILE I'M AT IT, I WANT YOU TO TELL ME WHAT YOU DO THINK IS A MORE CORRECT TERM TO REFER TO THE BROWN. I KNOW THERE ARE DIFFERENT NATIONALITIES LIKE OF COURSE THERES A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEXICANS AND SPANIARDS AND PUERTO RICANS, ETC. IS THERE A GENERAL TERM OR IS IT REALLY NARROWED DOWN TO WHERE YOURE SPECIFICALLY FROM. LIKE CHINESE AND JAPANESE ARE DIFFERENT BUT THEY ARE GENERALLY REFERRED TO AS ASIANS AND AT THE SAME TIME IF U GENERALIZE THEM with THE TERM "ORIENTALS", THEY GET OFFENDED SO I FEEL WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT. IF I GOT HOMIES OF A DIFFERENT RACE AND I OFFEND THEM SOMEHOW I GOT NO PROBLEM HAVIN THEM TEACH ME WHAT I CAN SAY OR DO TO KEEP IT RIGHT...

YEAH LET US KNOW.

User avatar
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2631
Joined: January 13th, 2004, 3:54 pm
Location: In your MIND and in your HEART.

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Common Sense » September 1st, 2004, 9:37 am

Great thread....lot's of learning going on here.

stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 440
Joined: May 26th, 2004, 10:30 am
Location: OLD TOWN NATIONAL CITY

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT » September 1st, 2004, 8:11 pm

Like when you say carnal as a mock then that's how we feel when you say ese aswell but like I can tell when a black dude means it in a friendly manner or sociable way and it relies on body action.

User avatar
Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1171
Joined: July 1st, 2004, 10:03 am

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Kemosave » September 2nd, 2004, 10:40 am

Watcher 666 wrote:Can someone here tell me what is offensive about the name " cracker " ?
Cracker was used by the slaves to refer to their slave owners. Cracker--as a slur--does have a valid meaning. So does nigger. So do all those terms. They're insults. Like stupid. Like geeky. Like asshole. Insults, not mortal sins but among streetgang members they can become so. They're not okay to use in polite company.

We've given these words so much power in our society that they can highlight a societal dysfunction all by themselves. But they're just words, swear words, crude words that you say when you've hit your thumb with a hammer, or when you want to hurt someone or when someone's hurt you.

According to the Georgia Encyclopedia, cracker meant “braggert” at the time in England and that it was originally adapted from the Gaelic craic, still used in Ireland, that means “entertaining conversation.”

Two hundred years later, the English in England and in colonial America applied the term to Scottish and Irish settlers in rural southern areas.

The Georgia Encyclopedia includes a passage from a letter back to England. “I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by Crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas and Georgia, who often change their place of abode.”

The name would later be associated with cowboys in Georgia and Florida, many of them descendents of the Scots and Irish.

“Among African Americans, cracker became a contemptuous term for a white southerner,” the encyclopedia states.

Author Janisse Ray’s “Ecology of a Cracker Childhood” tells the story of growing up in a junkyard along U.S. Hwy 1, of being poor and white, according to the Dekalb Public Library Web site. In this book, she makes her family connection to Celtic roots in her story about growing up in South Georgia.

At the Web site for the College of New Yersey, a K. Pearson writes that a U.S. Cracker, in some definitions, means a poor white Southern person, also rustic, countrified and backwoods. It adds that corn cracker, or one who cracks corn to make grits or cornmeal, may have some bearing on the term cracker.

Homepages.rootsweb.com. reports, “The word comes from the practice of corncracking or grinding dry corn for use as grits and meal, as in the lyrics of the folk song, Blue Tail Fly, “Jimmy crack corn.” In this sense, a Cracker was somebody who couldn’t afford anything else to eat.

A 1888 Harpers Magazine reported this comparison, “They live like the Crackers of Georgia or the moonshiners of Tennessee.

By the 20th century, Cracker was defined by some as an attachment to the end of a whip-lash by which a cracking sound is produced. The sound of whips cracking was heard when Florida cattlemen would drive the oxen that pulled their carts and wagons and when Florida cowboys herded cattle, according to the College of New Jersey.

Rootsweb said the Florida cattlemen used whips to flush their stock from palmetto scrubs.

“Cracker is also a black name for whites, especially those thought to be racists,” the New Jersey site reports.

Rootsweb repeats that a variation of the braggart theory developed during the Civil Rights movement of the late 1950s and 60s.

“In many urban areas throughout (Florida), Cracker still means bigot.”

Dana Ste. Claire is an organizer of a exhibit called the “Cracker Culture in Florida History.”

“It’s a very interesting thing. I’m careful about the way I use it. There are people who are proud of the term. Then there are people who are very offended by the term,” Ste. Claire told Rootsweb.

Ste. Claire hopes to educate people on what a cracker is and has written a book on the topic.

But these words are rude. Nice people don't talk like that. Cracker, nigger, spic, gook, fuck, and all the other little oddments of language whose barbs can hurt us really have no place in healthy relationships between people of the same or other color. And yes white is a color.

Man sentenced to jail for using the N word in Lancaster: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/718708/posts

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4138
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 2nd, 2004, 5:15 pm

Dang Kemo-Sabe, you always be taking it to a far out galaxy Homie.

Watcher 666
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: August 24th, 2004, 10:04 pm
Location: here and there

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Watcher 666 » September 6th, 2004, 12:48 am

Thank you for the information Kemosave.

Anonymous20

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Anonymous20 » September 8th, 2004, 12:37 pm

S-DOOBIE...............ALL IMIGRANTS ARE NOT "W.O.PS (WITHOUT PAPERS)........THAT IS NOT A TRUE STATEMENT.........NO BEEF........NO DISRESPECT........JUST A CORRECTION............IMMIGRANTS ARE PEOPLE WHO "MIGRATED" HERE FROM ANOTHER LAND.......BY THAT DEFINITION EVERYONE BUT NATIVE AMERICANS ARE IMMIGRANTS.......ANYWAYS: YES SOUTH, CENTRAL AMERICANS AR IMMIGRANTS....THAT MUCH IS TRUE........HOWEVER I AM AN IMMIGRANT AND I CAME TO THIS LAND "LEGALLY".................THERE BOTH LEGAL AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.....................

User avatar
MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1666
Joined: February 10th, 2004, 3:57 pm
Location: any bar in Chicago.

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by MICK » September 23rd, 2004, 8:46 pm

INTERESTING TRIVIA QUESTION.

WHO KNOWS WHERE THE WORD SPICK CAME FROM?

User avatar
babylimpy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 164
Joined: August 11th, 2004, 11:10 am
Location: HELL REJECT

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by babylimpy » September 23rd, 2004, 8:59 pm

lonewolf wrote:
Charles_Kimble wrote:ANY WHITE BOY OR NIGGER CALL ME A SPIC ILL SHOOT THEM IN THERE UGLY FACE
If you don't get killed first for calling them nig's.
lol but it could turn out that way.i have NO PLACE to comment,i said some shit in the past that i wish that i can take back

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4138
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 23rd, 2004, 9:00 pm

krookid wrote:INTERESTING TRIVIA QUESTION.

WHO KNOWS WHERE THE WORD SPICK CAME FROM?
It aready was spelled out in the first few posts on this topic.

User avatar
MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1666
Joined: February 10th, 2004, 3:57 pm
Location: any bar in Chicago.

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by MICK » September 23rd, 2004, 9:00 pm

When the Irish arrived in America, they were treated like sh*t by everyone. The most common slur for the irish was "MICK"

When the hispanic population first started showing up in America,
They shared the same catholic churches with the Irish, and the two cultures sort of bonded. Thus, they were called "SPICKS"

meaning like, a spanish mick.

I found that pretty interesting. Read it in a book.

User avatar
fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 892
Joined: May 17th, 2004, 7:28 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » September 23rd, 2004, 9:02 pm

wow, that is interestin man i never knew that

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4138
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 23rd, 2004, 9:02 pm

That's a new twist.
You said you read it in a book, which book ?

User avatar
MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1666
Joined: February 10th, 2004, 3:57 pm
Location: any bar in Chicago.

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by MICK » September 23rd, 2004, 9:03 pm

Catholics in America. by Daniel Mcsorley.

User avatar
MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1666
Joined: February 10th, 2004, 3:57 pm
Location: any bar in Chicago.

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by MICK » September 23rd, 2004, 9:04 pm

pretty interesting huh?

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4138
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 23rd, 2004, 9:05 pm

So what does MICK mean ?

User avatar
MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1666
Joined: February 10th, 2004, 3:57 pm
Location: any bar in Chicago.

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by MICK » September 23rd, 2004, 9:09 pm

Not %100 on that one honestly.

the only thing i could think of, is that alot of irish names begin Mc.

(Pronounced mick) like the author of the book. lol

thats the only thing i can come up with.

User avatar
MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1666
Joined: February 10th, 2004, 3:57 pm
Location: any bar in Chicago.

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by MICK » September 23rd, 2004, 9:09 pm

its just what they stuck us with.

User avatar
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 4138
Joined: June 2nd, 2004, 4:57 pm
Country: Mexico
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana
Location: THE BORDERLAND
Contact:

Re: WHAT'S IN THE RACIAL DIS' NAMES LIKE WOPS/SPICKS/MAYATES

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 23rd, 2004, 9:10 pm

Anybody knows where the name GRINGO comes from ?

Post Reply

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”