Copying black culture????

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » April 22nd, 2007, 8:29 am

Ok, what would you say about blacks participating in white or asian culture?

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » April 22nd, 2007, 2:55 pm

id say they are wierd..sell out ass niggaz...how u gon live asian wen u black...martin luther king didnt die for us to switch culturs..we suppose to be proud

i remember see'in a white lady sayin stuff on the mic in some african re-union thing n she was all dressed like she was african and sayin all these dumb things ...it was soo anoing she ...laughin n all as if she 1 of us...no one even clapped after she was done talkin buot her bull.s.hit suffuries

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » April 22nd, 2007, 3:16 pm

Mcminister wrote:"I hate music where white people are trying to sound black. The white music I like [sounds] white" - kanye west
Did Kaney West told what means sounding "black" or "white"? Why (any) form of art has to be devided by skin colour?

Do you know who Miles Davis was? Did you know that before he died he called to Tomasz Stanko (polish trumpetist) and told him that he would be going to be "the next one"? In your world that would not been possible, but luckily real people are open minded and understands what music is and what it means. It's not about skin colour, it's much bigger than that. Like any other art form.

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » April 22nd, 2007, 3:57 pm

Hello im new to the forums and i just wanted to say WOW im really excited to be here what a great community...

Whose copying who here?
The majority of the world's population of Francophones lives in Africa. Most Africans however do not speak French as mother tongue, although the number of native French speakers on the continent is said to be increasing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#Africa

And this isnt a wikipedia lie, most africans do in fact speak french

Most blacks who started rap knew english as a mother tongue. So would it be reasonable to say that those black people where already influenced by white society and just took something that was already white and there (english ryhming)and just made it into something more? That everyone really started liking ONCE it got all mainstream, cause it was something anglophones liked cause it was in english.

Do you think the Canadien that invented Basketball is mad at Americans for being so much better at the sport? The americans just took something and brought it to the next level...

Do you think albert king was mad at stevie ray vaughn for bringing electric blues to the next level?

I dont listen to eminem but ive heard his songs and i dont mind the majority of them. If i had to say he raps good i would say he does.

I dont hate international student from around the world coming to learn in western schools and learning what we teach ourselves.

Theres no point in hating over copying, copying is inevitable but people should show some respect i agree. And on the other hand some people need to copy other peoples like being bilingual and such. Thats my piece of mind on the subject

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » April 22nd, 2007, 4:13 pm

Mcminister wrote:id say they are wierd..sell out ass niggaz...how u gon live asian wen u black...martin luther king didnt die for us to switch culturs..we suppose to be proud

i remember see'in a white lady sayin stuff on the mic in some african re-union thing n she was all dressed like she was african and sayin all these dumb things ...it was soo anoing she ...laughin n all as if she 1 of us...no one even clapped after she was done talkin buot her bull.s.hit suffuries
Dude. I know more than a couple of Black guys into Chinese kung fu and Filipino martial arts like Kali.

How the fuck does that make them sellouts?

Does an Asian guy listening to Hiphop or rock make him a sell out?
What is the Asian
dude meant to act like Bruce Lee or something?!

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 22nd, 2007, 4:27 pm

and does "mcminister" realize that all labels are arbitrary?

At one point, the Europeans called black people "Turks" since they had no knowledge of geography or politics outside of their world. (even thought Turks are now "European" as well)

They also called both Africans, Southeastern Europeans, and Middle Eastern people the "people of the Orient" meaning yes, they did call you Asian. Northeast Africa is sometimes called part of the "Afro-Asiatic" language family because of the Semitic population and influence (Semitic being the ancestors of both Jewish and Arab peoples).

All labels humans give are artificial. Even the words we use, "black", "white", and "asian" are meaningless, we could have chosen to call "this color" white and "this color" black if we wanted too. Asian isn't even a color. And there were "black" people living in Asia a long time ago, but now all you see is some remnants living in the Phillipines and a few other places.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » April 22nd, 2007, 5:10 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:All labels humans give are artificial. Even the words we use, "black", "white", and "asian" are meaningless,
:wink: 8)

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » April 23rd, 2007, 3:21 pm

caucasions should act caucasion
negro's should act negro
n the rest

white people shud jst listen to hip hop but dont try to copy it and make it their cultur
i respect a white boi who do his thang but remains white...whats wrong with white culture( w.e it is) why dont white folk stick to it..while us black folk stick to black culture that hip hop and a whole bunch of other things make up

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » April 23rd, 2007, 5:57 pm

If your sayin that whites and spanish should stop actin and listenin to hip hop that INCLUDES you since you even said yourself your from africa, not the states,

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » April 23rd, 2007, 6:10 pm

lol@teekay
i said hip hop was a black thing
u kno NEGRO which i am...african americans where u think they from?

spanish people are more into reagae tone and all that caribiean stuff i kno...i got a puerto rican grl and a bunch of mexican/guatamalen/el savadorian homeboiz

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » April 23rd, 2007, 6:33 pm

yeah but your culture is south african right?

that wouldnt include you if thats the arguement your usin

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » April 23rd, 2007, 6:38 pm

i said black culture,...which involves hip hop and a whole other bunch of things
its rite there homie

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 23rd, 2007, 7:01 pm

Mcminister wrote:lol@teekay
'

Where do you think all humans came from?

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » April 23rd, 2007, 8:02 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Mcminister wrote:lol@teekay
'

Where do you think all humans came from?
:wink:

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » April 23rd, 2007, 8:03 pm

Not only that but "black" and "white" were created by America.

There is no such thing as black and white

Asiatic
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Asiatic » April 23rd, 2007, 9:57 pm

Yeah I agree people of any culture appreciating another's culture or wanting to participate in cultural gestures isn't a bad thing. But just bekuz hip hop is all across the world doesn't mean it's European hip-hop, it means the culture started by African Americans is practiced in "Europe", not they have their own brand of hip hop. I don't disagree with anyone hating what Eminem said, bekuz I also didn't like that shit, just bekuz some Black woman played him, he disrespects the Black race in general which is what ALOT of races do when things don't go their way,and he been a fan and a rapper most his life, so I can't hate on any Brotha or Sista not wanting anyone copying our culture. Humanity started in Africa ( Amexem), and all things human were in fact invented by us, thought we were considered the lowest of low, we started MUSIC, I don't give a fuck what corner of the Earth you go to Moabites, Canaanites, Cushites, Hamitites, Blacks were there. Explain this how is it we're the best at everything we do ? I'm not disrespecting fans of other colors of rap, but 2 stepping (this year's trend) was started by Blacks, Air forces, 20 inch rims, the entire fashion and music industry, flip flop candy paint it's all started by us. Not being cocky or conceited but so much been stolen from our culture and what we're not given credit for makes us question everybody. I bet anybody the next trend is gonna be started by African Americans. And to dude saying anyone speaking English is copying Caucasian culture, peep this the English language is derived from Jewish or Hebrew, the ancient Hebrews were in fact African, they spoke an African language. So wouldn't you say now that you're copying Our culture ? Or if I showed you proof that Africans were in America and any other part of the world before anyone else, would you say their copying Africans ? Look at the Roman Empire they stole Egypt( Greek name for Kemet,true name) all their Gods are derived from African history. Makes ya thing huh ?

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » April 24th, 2007, 5:10 am

Yep, black and white are meaningless.....as a little experiment, I looked at various friends and described thier respective skin color as it is seen by the eye, no political correctness, just natures truth...and I saw...from a very dark brown (African boy)...to a light rich brown (Jamaican origin)....light olive brown (Jamaican origin)....light olive brown with a warm orangey hue (Jamaican father, white British mother), light brown/pale (Chilean), light brown/olivey (Italian origin), light brown/pale with pinker hue (white English)....get the picture?

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » April 24th, 2007, 6:15 am

-lol wow its good to see people actually coming out and saying that yes black and white are just labels, and that there should be no shame in admitting your brown when you fall in the black label
-like ive said before my mixed buddy (african american/european canadian) is in fact a light brown that is just a bit darker then my olive skin (an i aint sicilian) lol
-personally me i believe in classifying the obvious differences based on the skull type, caucasoid, negroid and mongoloid, but that may be outdated. But on the other hand everyone falls in between those 3

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » April 24th, 2007, 6:39 am

And to dude saying anyone speaking English is copying Caucasian culture, peep this the English language is derived from Jewish or Hebrew
-here i thought english was a west germanic language :roll: , which is indo-european, and that has alot more relation with the people of india then with hebrews of the 2nd millinium

-if i believe that humans came from africa, that should mean yes i know life started with african people, but as they expanded out of africa they changed and made there own cultures. And then after that everyone just started creating there own and recopying

-you dont think i knew that early europeans translated text from arabic to latin, to learn all there secrets that then expand on them?

-and yes i think that the african americans were influenced by white american culture, and like i said before they just changed it just like i would be influenced by asian culture if i lived in china.

-and say yes in fact english is derived from hebrew, ok, my family line came from africa thousands of years ago so im just touching back on my roots and embracing the culture that would still be technically be mine, right? Cause humans came from africa so no matter what color my skin is anything thats african is my culture

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » April 24th, 2007, 6:54 am

Explain this how is it we're the best at everything we do ? I'm not disrespecting fans of other colors of rap, but 2 stepping (this year's trend) was started by Blacks, Air forces, 20 inch rims, the entire fashion and music industry, flip flop candy paint it's all started by us.
-20 inch rims hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :shock:
-hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :?
-who invented the automobile?

-Karl Benz got the patent, and before that a flemish-jewish person made the first steam powered vehicle
-so what are you saying your the best at making something look nice? like a fashion designer? i aint saying black people cant invent things, a black person invented the guidance chip for cruise missles, but what are you saying?

-air force ones? whats next you going to say africans invented the snow shoe just because they were mabye the first people to cover there feet? come on, your being a moron

-people use there creativity, just because i listen to blues doesnt give some black dude the right to tell me to keep acting white, fuck that person...

-white and black are just words and labels, but cultures do exist and copying is inevitable

-my comments were meant for the brother out there telling people that whites should back the fuck off

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » April 24th, 2007, 7:43 am

And more to McMinister as he for obvious reasons didn't answer to this.......
punamusta wrote:Do you know who Miles Davis was? Did you know that before he died he called to Tomasz Stanko (polish trumpetist) and told him that he would be going to be "the next one"? In your world that would not been possible, but luckily real people are open minded and understands what music is and what it means. It's not about skin colour, it's much bigger than that. Like any other art form.

....I just heard that a Finnish guy has been/is making beats for Dead Prez and Zubz (south-african rapper). Weird, huh? How is that possible? People with white skin colour working together with people who have darker skin colour. What a crazy world.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » April 24th, 2007, 9:40 am

johnnnny wrote:
And to dude saying anyone speaking English is copying Caucasian culture, peep this the English language is derived from Jewish or Hebrew
-here i thought english was a west germanic language :roll: , which is indo-european, and that has alot more relation with the people of india then with hebrews of the 2nd millinium
Which is true. Germanic with Romanic and some Celtic influence.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » April 24th, 2007, 3:37 pm

punamusta wrote:And more to McMinister as he for obvious reasons didn't answer to this.......
punamusta wrote:Do you know who Miles Davis was? Did you know that before he died he called to Tomasz Stanko (polish trumpetist) and told him that he would be going to be "the next one"? In your world that would not been possible, but luckily real people are open minded and understands what music is and what it means. It's not about skin colour, it's much bigger than that. Like any other art form.

....I just heard that a Finnish guy has been/is making beats for Dead Prez and Zubz (south-african rapper). Weird, huh? How is that possible? People with white skin colour working together with people who have darker skin colour. What a crazy world.
whos the dude makin beats for them?

Asiatic
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Asiatic » April 25th, 2007, 1:10 am

No I'm not saying we invented the automobile, or even 20 inch rims, but the fact is if it wasn't at first invented by Blacks then popular by Blacks it wouldn't be to the rest of the world. But why is the US capital shaped exactly like Egypt, Washington D.C.. I'm not going into the first working glider, sewage system, toilet system, metric system, geometry, science, algebra, astrology, sugery, the refridgerator, jewelry, pottery , or anything ancient. I was saying if it wasn't popular with the Black culture it wouldn't be. Shit basically since most Blacks was forced to have nothing they had hand me downs, which they was forced to keep looking good and they styled it differently but they wore there hair like Whites, LoL they had conks, but the do-wop scene didn't have any Blacks or wasn't as popular until Frankie Lymon or other Blacks put a different tune and melody to it, and scanned larger sales then them. Shit America's favorite artist stole from Black music from Elvis, to Jerry Lewis. Madam CJ Walker was the first Black millionaire because she invented the first hair care product system for all women. Point being you can't be mad at a person saying well listen to your own music, if they weren't raised better than that and they feel defensive to the point to say that, it's alot of people claiming to be down for the cause but ain't.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » April 25th, 2007, 5:18 am

TeeKay wrote:
whos the dude makin beats for them?
DJ Mobster. He has a producer's album coming out in a few weeks and it has feats from Dead Prez, Zubz, and others. It also has Ed Jones on it (the saxofonist who's working with Jamiroquai).

Here's two videos I found from DJ Mobster to hear his beats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oixkX-2KSjk
Paleface & Redrama - Still in Charge
(don't like those rappers that much, although that shorter guy, Redrama, is usually pretty nice, been touring with Gang Starr. But the beat by DJ Mobster is good.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nP2ndW9HGQ
Promoe & CapeNape - Medicine (short video teaser)

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » April 25th, 2007, 7:54 am

Asiatic wrote:No I'm not saying we invented the automobile, or even 20 inch rims, but the fact is if it wasn't at first invented by Blacks then popular by Blacks it wouldn't be to the rest of the world. But why is the US capital shaped exactly like Egypt, Washington D.C.. I'm not going into the first working glider, sewage system, toilet system, metric system, geometry, science, algebra, astrology, sugery, the refridgerator, jewelry, pottery , or anything ancient. I was saying if it wasn't popular with the Black culture it wouldn't be. Shit basically since most Blacks was forced to have nothing they had hand me downs, which they was forced to keep looking good and they styled it differently but they wore there hair like Whites, LoL they had conks, but the do-wop scene didn't have any Blacks or wasn't as popular until Frankie Lymon or other Blacks put a different tune and melody to it, and scanned larger sales then them. Shit America's favorite artist stole from Black music from Elvis, to Jerry Lewis. Madam CJ Walker was the first Black millionaire because she invented the first hair care product system for all women. Point being you can't be mad at a person saying well listen to your own music, if they weren't raised better than that and they feel defensive to the point to say that, it's alot of people claiming to be down for the cause but ain't.
i hear ya, at least you arent like some of the other people out there which is good, i appreciate blues and the original founders of blues.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » April 25th, 2007, 9:39 am

Asiatic wrote:Yeah I agree people of any culture appreciating another's culture or wanting to participate in cultural gestures isn't a bad thing. But just bekuz hip hop is all across the world doesn't mean it's European hip-hop, it means the culture started by African Americans is practiced in "Europe", not they have their own brand of hip hop. I don't disagree with anyone hating what Eminem said, bekuz I also didn't like that shit, just bekuz some Black woman played him, he disrespects the Black race in general which is what ALOT of races do when things don't go their way,and he been a fan and a rapper most his life, so I can't hate on any Brotha or Sista not wanting anyone copying our culture. Humanity started in Africa ( Amexem), and all things human were in fact invented by us, thought we were considered the lowest of low, we started MUSIC, I don't give a fu-- what corner of the Earth you go to Moabites, Canaanites, Cushites, Hamitites, Blacks were there. Explain this how is it we're the best at everything we do ? I'm not disrespecting fans of other colors of rap, but 2 stepping (this year's trend) was started by Blacks, Air forces, 20 inch rims, the entire fashion and music industry, flip flop candy paint it's all started by us. Not being cocky or conceited but so much been stolen from our culture and what we're not given credit for makes us question everybody. I bet anybody the next trend is gonna be started by African Americans. And to dude saying anyone speaking English is copying Caucasian culture, peep this the English language is derived from Jewish or Hebrew, the ancient Hebrews were in fact African, they spoke an African language. So wouldn't you say now that you're copying Our culture ? Or if I showed you proof that Africans were in America and any other part of the world before anyone else, would you say their copying Africans ? Look at the Roman Empire they stole Egypt( Greek name for Kemet,true name) all their Gods are derived from African history. Makes ya thing huh ?

I don't recall the Africans migrating to the Artic but perhaps you could fill in those holes. The Inuits of Siberia and Canada (and to a lesser extent Alaska) have had music for as long as they can trace back. They were virtually untouched for centuries and were able to make music and housing and language and all sort of other things without so much as an outside influence. Though I'm sure you can find a way to take credit for that.

Your trends are specific to America, and to an extent North America. All over the world, trends are specific to those areas and those cultures. You sound like a whiny kid who's calling dibs on all the toys. "No thats mine! NO THATS MINE TOO!" Who cares. I've heard this arguement over and over again and one of the central themes is "all life came from Africa". If that happens to be true, then I have just as much claim to the fact of "africans creating everyting" as you do, or the next person. It's the human race, not the black race, not the asian race, not the white race. WE created everything you see around you today, and it had nothing, I repeat and in capitals so you get the point N O T H I N G to do with the colour of the persons skin who came up with the idea.

Were there a lot of people from Africa who had some great ideas and are still in use today? Yes. Were there a lot of people from America, China, India, Japan, Britian and so on who had great ideas and are still in use today? Yes. Does any of this make a licking difference? No. Your arguement is trivial and at the end of the day it gets you nowhere.

P.S. Last time I checked my neato shoes were created by some white dude down in Florida and put together by some kid in China is a sweat shop.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » April 25th, 2007, 9:50 am

EmperorPenguin wrote:

I don't recall the Africans migrating to the Artic but perhaps you could fill in those holes. The Inuits of Siberia and Canada (and to a lesser extent Alaska) have had music for as long as they can trace back. They were virtually untouched for centuries and were able to make music and housing and language and all sort of other things without so much as an outside influence. Though I'm sure you can find a way to take credit for that.

Your trends are specific to America, and to an extent North America. All over the world, trends are specific to those areas and those cultures. You sound like a whiny kid who's calling dibs on all the toys. "No thats mine! NO THATS MINE TOO!" Who cares. I've heard this arguement over and over again and one of the central themes is "all life came from Africa". If that happens to be true, then I have just as much claim to the fact of "africans creating everyting" as you do, or the next person. It's the human race, not the black race, not the asian race, not the white race. WE created everything you see around you today, and it had nothing, I repeat and in capitals so you get the point N O T H I N G to do with the colour of the persons skin who came up with the idea.

Were there a lot of people from Africa who had some great ideas and are still in use today? Yes. Were there a lot of people from America, China, India, Japan, Britian and so on who had great ideas and are still in use today? Yes. Does any of this make a licking difference? No. Your arguement is trivial and at the end of the day it gets you nowhere.

P.S. Last time I checked my neato shoes were created by some white dude down in Florida and put together by some kid in China is a sweat shop.
Thank you, thats exactly what i thought.

EmperorPenguin wrote:Were there a lot of people from America, China, India, Japan, Britian and so on who had great ideas and are still in use today? Yes.
What about Germany? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » April 25th, 2007, 10:00 am

Sentenza wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:

EmperorPenguin wrote:Were there a lot of people from America, China, India, Japan, Britian and so on who had great ideas and are still in use today? Yes.
Nothing good ever came out of Germany. N O T H I N G. Except bratwurst, and spaetzle.

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » April 25th, 2007, 10:04 am

What about Germany?
what about germany???

they started the whole field of quantum mechanics so if an asian scientist studies quantum theory does that mean hes copying zee germans?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » April 25th, 2007, 11:25 am

EmperorPenguin wrote:
Sentenza wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:

Nothing good ever came out of Germany. N O T H I N G. Except bratwurst, and spaetzle.
What about all the Canadians of German descent? :lol: :lol:

Ok sorry, but now we are getting off topic big time.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » April 25th, 2007, 11:58 am

Sentenza wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:
Sentenza wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:

What about all the Canadians of German descent? :lol: :lol:

Ok sorry, but now we are getting off topic big time.

I'm a canadian of german descent. :P

If you believe that someone is smarter, or has better ideas then another person based on their skin colour then you're supporting the idea that people are superior to others based solely on that fact. Here I thought it was 2007 when people realized pigmentations in ones skin defines only how that colour is reflected by light and nothing more.

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”