The N-word

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

The N-word

Unread post by perongregory » January 20th, 2008, 5:29 am

A honest question...Why do mainly whites care about blacks usage of the N-word? Is it really cause they wanna be able to say it without fear of retaliation to or around black people, or do they really care about the welfare of black people? And if they care about the welfare of black people, then why are those who raise issues with the N-word usually not actively raising concern or trying to help with the many other seemingly/overt self-destructive and destructive facets of culture and society that blacks face? Is it a subconcious control process?

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: The N-word

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » January 20th, 2008, 11:12 am

Geesh, in my experiences over the decades the ones using the word the most were Black perongregory. Some of them it was like as common as when someone is stuck saying "you know" all the time. Some Asians too used it like that.. in a non racist power way.

Now in a racist way some Latinos and Whites use the word in a derogatory manner. It's true.

As for your question, I think most whites care about blacks usage of the N-word for two reasons. One is that they don't like to see a double standard for many reasons ranging from some Whites want to see Blacks elevate themselves past the word (so it's a caring thing) to some just don't think it's fair. The second is because the word has become a dirty word to most in the white culture like the F word. Consider white kids from nuclear families get punished for using the word just as if they used the F word and are told not to.
perongregory wrote:A honest question...Why do mainly whites care about blacks usage of the N-word? Is it really cause they wanna be able to say it without fear of retaliation to or around black people, or do they really care about the welfare of black people? And if they care about the welfare of black people, then why are those who raise issues with the N-word usually not actively raising concern or trying to help with the many other seemingly/overt self-destructive and destructive facets of culture and society that blacks face? Is it a subconcious control process?

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 20th, 2008, 11:30 am

My old African teacher (RIP) hated that word.

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by clipse » January 20th, 2008, 12:00 pm

perongregory wrote:A honest question...Why do mainly whites care about blacks usage of the N-word? Is it really cause they wanna be able to say it without fear of retaliation to or around black people, or do they really care about the welfare of black people? And if they care about the welfare of black people, then why are those who raise issues with the N-word usually not actively raising concern or trying to help with the many other seemingly/overt self-destructive and destructive facets of culture and society that blacks face? Is it a subconcious control process?

Good questions, but even though I think you already in the know, it is not rocket science that many of these that profess to want Blacks to stop using the word really are doing nothing PERSONALLY to help curb it. These sites are the only places where they know they are voicing these opinions, not in the real world. Do you think when they are on the streets hearing those who use the word, they are telling them what they think about that word and why they shouldnt use it as they do on these sites? The key word you used is 'ACTIVELY', they impress me none with their fake concerns and opinions over this word and other issues dealing with Black poeple. And also subconciously I think many dont cringe when they hear Blacks use the word, I think many of them feel thats what Blacks are anyway, but it's in many of them to surpress their stereotypical and racist thoughts, only a small group of them will openly admit to their real thoughts. If their opinion is so strong about the word, there are alot of Blacks using the word in real life, back up all of your claims that you're against the word and REALLY get out there and makes moves to stop it. Or just continue on with all of your internet 'activisim'. :roll:

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by clipse » January 20th, 2008, 12:01 pm

perongregory wrote:A honest question...
Dont expect an honest answer.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 20th, 2008, 12:51 pm

all i kno is if bob johnson sais it ima knock his ass out

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 20th, 2008, 11:22 pm

Mcminister wrote:all i kno is if bob johnson sais it ima knock his ass out

ok ..so joe blow says it and its wrong ../ but do you say it?

cuz i tell ya.. when Jow blow hears you saying it, he has a pretty fixed idea of who you are.. .and its not flattering in the least.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » January 21st, 2008, 12:08 pm

I think if a white person came out and was trying to actively raise concerns about the black community he'd be met with calls of "racism" and told that they have no clue what it's like so to stay out. Look at someone like Bill Cosby, he raises concerns all the time and gets shit on by the black community. He gets called an Uncle Tom and told he doesn't know what it's like cause he's some rich black guy. Even if Cosby's concerns are legit and his heart is in the right place, he gets attacked. I can only imagine what would happen if a white person tried the same thing.

To answer your question though, me personally I just don't care for the word so I don't use it. I know both white and black people that use it and I can respect their decision, it's just not something that I would in turn use.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 21st, 2008, 9:37 pm

it's convenient to remain a victim and blame others .... its a good way to stay lazy and not take any sort of self serving affirmative action.

I see professional victims on all levels... they make me sick. Each and every one of them.... especailly the ones that refuse to change their circunstances. There is no shame in asking for help, as long as you are willing to receive the kind of help that requires you help yourself.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 21st, 2008, 11:43 pm

justice league who the fuck is joe blow

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » January 22nd, 2008, 10:40 am

EmperorPenguin wrote:
I think if a white person came out and was trying to actively raise concerns about the black community he'd be met with calls of "racism" and told that they have no clue what it's like so to stay out. Look at someone like Bill Cosby, he raises concerns all the time and gets shit on by the black community. He gets called an Uncle Tom and told he doesn't know what it's like cause he's some rich black guy. Even if Cosby's concerns are legit and his heart is in the right place, he gets attacked. I can only imagine what would happen if a white person tried the same thing.

To answer your question though, me personally I just don't care for the word so I don't use it. I know both white and black people that use it and I can respect their decision, it's just not something that I would in turn use.
I agree with you EP.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 22nd, 2008, 10:46 am

Everybody gets tested. But if you are real, one day people people will realize it.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 22nd, 2008, 11:52 am

Mcminister wrote:justice league who the fu-- is joe blow
joe blow.. .just ordinary white guy.....
who is bob johnson?

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 22nd, 2008, 11:54 am

Sentenza wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:

I agree with you EP.
I am there too.... I heard Bill Cosby being interviewed about his latest book.... his book is not for just blacks, but young people everywhere who want help in taking responsibility for their own lives. And isnt that what it is really all about?

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » January 22nd, 2008, 12:44 pm

Mcminister wrote:justice league who the fu-- is joe blow
"joe blow" is a term used to describe a random person.

Like Jane Doe, or John Doe.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » January 22nd, 2008, 8:37 pm

I think everyone needs to watch this:

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 22nd, 2008, 8:41 pm

BOB JOHNSON is that idiot coon-house-nigga that use to own BET, that sell out bitch

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » January 22nd, 2008, 8:44 pm

Justice league probably wants legalized lynching also.....

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 22nd, 2008, 9:14 pm

Mcminister wrote:BOB JOHNSON is that idiot coon-house-nigga that use to own BET, that sell out bitch

oh.. one of yours.... gotchya!

I love that show .. hell date... thats a funnyass show.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 22nd, 2008, 9:16 pm

A Ghost wrote:Justice league probably wants legalized lynching also.....

I am selective on who i would like to see die.... I dont write the list.. it writes itself..... but it's always personal.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 22nd, 2008, 9:16 pm

Mcminister wrote:BOB JOHNSON is that idiot coon-house-nigga that use to own BET, that sell out bitch
fuck Bob Johnson.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » January 22nd, 2008, 9:18 pm

justice league wrote:

oh.. one of yours.... gotchya!

I love that show .. hell date... thats a funnyass show.
That show is worse than Dane Cook.

And Dane Cook is horrible.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 22nd, 2008, 10:18 pm

woow u must have problems justice league...are u the next se11..coz u seem to be pretty not prefered in the streetgangs community

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 22nd, 2008, 10:44 pm

Mcminister wrote:woow u must have problems justice league...are u the next se11..coz u seem to be pretty not prefered in the streetgangs community

no.. its not that... its all these dicks being intimidated by a chick...

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by clipse » January 22nd, 2008, 11:20 pm

justice league wrote:
Mcminister wrote:woow u must have problems justice league...are u the next se11..coz u seem to be pretty not prefered in the streetgangs community

no.. its not that... its all these dicks being intimidated by a chick...
:lol: , another sign you need a life. "intimidated" from a old white lady online?? you cant be serious!

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 22nd, 2008, 11:26 pm

EmperorPenguin wrote:

I think if a white person actively and selflessly tried to help the black community he would be met with open arms. John Brown, bitch ass Clinton (since blacks think he did something), Lincoln (even though he was racist and had other motives), Kenneth Hahn (here in LA), the young white radicals of the 60's and 70's, etc. But if you come in talking as if you and yours embody all that is right, saying you should do this, you shouldn't do that, etc. then people will peep that you are full of shit. Now Bill Cosby raised alot of good points with his diatribe, but alot of what he said was culturally insensitive, and plain out wrong due to his old age, and current stature. For example, when you start lambasting the name choices of a group because they sound too ethnic, too muslim related, too African, and not European enough, e.g. Bill Cosby, you are bias and your views are heavily eschewed...why should I listen to you? You obviously hate yourself or ancestory.

Whites say blacks play the victim role constantly, but say we moved to a pre civil rights era (before mass segregation, crack, violence, crass materilsim, before blacks were "too vocal" about issues, rap, whatever whites claim are blacks' self-destructive habits that hold them back now), how good would blacks have it? Not good at all, because at that time we had the social capital to help each other out, but not as much oppurtunity or say, now we have more oppurtunities but everything that has happened since the civil rights era has destroyed the idea of social capital in many black hoods. Therre are so many real issues whites can be helping out with (and some do help out): disproportianate sentences and all out effects of the judicial system when dealing with blacks, inadequte schools, indequate neighborhoods, unemployment, social and residential segregation, etc.. Whites still have alot to do on their side to get this country right, but too many of them are being satiated to see this shit is about to boil over. Like Huey Newton said the whites need to mke a white panther party to rectify the wrongs of and better the white community. Until we see some of this concern, we could give a fuck what people think of our use of a word that was manipulated to hurt us. Just like if a Brit or any non-American called me a yank, I would take it wrong, but if another American did, well whatever, he is American.

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 22nd, 2008, 11:38 pm

perongregory wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:

I think if a white person actively and selflessly tried to help the black community he would be met with open arms. John Brown, bitch ass Clinton (since blacks think he did something), Lincoln (even though he was racist and had other motives), Kenneth Hahn (here in LA), the young white radicals of the 60's and 70's, etc. But if you come in talking as if you and yours embody all that is right, saying you should do this, you shouldn't do that, etc. then people will peep that you are full of shit. Now Bill Cosby raised alot of good points with his diatribe, but alot of what he said was culturally insensitive, and plain out wrong due to his old age, and current stature. For example, when you start lambasting the name choices of a group because they sound too ethnic, too muslim related, too African, and not European enough, e.g. Bill Cosby, you are bias and your views are heavily eschewed...why should I listen to you? You obviously hate yourself or ancestory.

Whites say blacks play the victim role constantly, but say we moved to a pre civil rights era (before mass segregation, crack, violence, crass materilsim, before blacks were "too vocal" about issues, rap, whatever whites claim are blacks' self-destructive habits that hold them back now), how good would blacks have it? Not good at all, because at that time we had the social capital to help each other out, but not as much oppurtunity or say, now we have more oppurtunities but everything that has happened since the civil rights era has destroyed the idea of social capital in many black hoods. Therre are so many real issues whites can be helping out with (and some do help out): disproportianate sentences and all out effects of the judicial system when dealing with blacks, inadequte schools, indequate neighborhoods, unemployment, social and residential segregation, etc.. Whites still have alot to do on their side to get this country right, but too many of them are being satiated to see this shit is about to boil over. Like Huey Newton said the whites need to mke a white panther party to rectify the wrongs of and better the white community. Until we see some of this concern, we could give a fu-- what people think of our use of a word that was manipulated to hurt us. Just like if a Brit or any non-American called me a yank, I would take it wrong, but if another American did, well whatever, he is American.
always comparing everything to yesterday... why you always going back to the waty it was... get with the programand try to stop justifying your selfappointed victim status role

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 23rd, 2008, 1:54 am

justice league wrote:
perongregory wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:

Whites say blacks play the victim role constantly, but say we moved to a pre civil rights era (before mass segregation, crack, violence, crass materilsim, before blacks were "too vocal" about issues, rap, whatever whites claim are blacks' self-destructive habits that hold them back now), how good would blacks have it? Not good at all, because at that time we had the social capital to help each other out, but not as much oppurtunity or say, now we have more oppurtunities but everything that has happened since the civil rights era has destroyed the idea of social capital in many black hoods. Therre are so many real issues whites can be helping out with (and some do help out): disproportianate sentences and all out effects of the judicial system when dealing with blacks, inadequte schools, indequate neighborhoods, unemployment, social and residential segregation, etc.. Whites still have alot to do on their side to get this country right, but too many of them are being satiated to see this shit is about to boil over. Like Huey Newton said the whites need to mke a white panther party to rectify the wrongs of and better the white community. Until we see some of this concern, we could give a fu-- what people think of our use of a word that was manipulated to hurt us. Just like if a Brit or any non-American called me a yank, I would take it wrong, but if another American did, well whatever, he is American.
always comparing everything to yesterday... why you always going back to the waty it was... get with the programand try to stop justifying your selfappointed victim status role
I'm not comparing things to yesterday, I typed that oddly...what I was trying to say, is say blacks mindstate and social and cultural state in the present existed as it did in during the pre-civil rights era. And yesterday determines today, and tommorow, you know that but it is convenient for you to jump over that. And like the Jews say about the holocaust never again -its funny how jews are able to "justify [their] selfappointed victim status role" and no one will say shit, but blacks can't. And those benefiting off of others love to talk the victim game, I think it's time they stop dodging the truth. Anyway, now that we cleared what I meant up, I see you can't find anything else wrong with what I wrote, cuzz the simple truth is fucked yesterday, today, and tomm., this is what this country represents if your not apart of those chosen few, and if you don't want to hear it from the whiny blacks, well go look at the native Americans...we did a good job of cutting them down and tucking them away in order to not hear them justify their "selfappointed victim status role." Absurd, the logic of the people in this country.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » January 23rd, 2008, 10:32 am

perongregory wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:

I don't doubt that if a white person were active in the black community there is a portion of people that would be accepting of that. I also don't doubt that no matter what there is a portion of people who wouldn't care for a white person "telling" a black community how to better itself. It's a slippery slope when you go down that road. I think those feelings alone are enough to make some people shy away from helping.

And I agree with the fact that white communities need to get their shit together too, but it's not that simple. I don't believe it's a white thing or a black thing or a red, yellow, green, purple thing. It's a personally thing, a family thing, a neighbourhood, community, town, city, state, province, country, hemisphere, world thing. And like it or not everyone is going to have to help each other out sooner or later if they want things to get better.

BG MLOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: crooklyn

Unread post by BG MLOCO » February 18th, 2008, 11:10 am

fuck naacp, fuck oprah, fuck al sharpton, i say this because 1. I went to school to better myself and have alot of friends and I dont know anyone that ever was assissted by naacp, why should i listen to a association that does minor things for the community and exploit it like they saving the black race, I applied for a naacp scholorship they never got back at me so fuck em, 2 oprah appeals to white women and uppity bougie niggers, she doesnt even give hip hop or a rap a chance to talk or listen to what they have to say, so fuck her bougie ass, 3. al sharpton is a sellout he did some grimey shit in the 80's nigga sold his soul, and I will always say and still do say the words nigga, nigger, nucca ect ect ect, because it is a word a fuccing word, an expression, we do have freedom of speech, and i still say it, we are gonna really debate and waste time over a fucking work when the economy is in reccession, racism still exists, and if we stop saying it we are still gonna be niggers in the eyes of racists, the government and coporate america, hatred is more than words, the actions of slaveowners is hatred not what they called us, they called us niggers, that hurst more than a whip, picking cotton?, or being raped or sold off, this whole n word movement is BS and fucking stupid, it naacp want to start a movement how about a program that can help college grads prepare for the real world, job training and career resources, not ban a fucking word im out niggaz!!!!!!

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » February 18th, 2008, 11:32 am

[/quote]always comparing everything to yesterday... why you always going back to the waty it was... get with the programand try to stop justifying your selfappointed victim status role[/quote]

yesterday makes u who u are today

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » February 18th, 2008, 11:33 am

A must come befor B...so if there is no A be ain gon be there neither...so B depends entirely on A

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”