Knowing one language compared to many

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 2nd, 2008, 9:55 am

whiskeyjack wrote:ok how could it be possible?
edit button

im not into that international language they already have but then again if everyone learned that language and all the wars stopped id do it lol, and then again im not a cash registar

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 2nd, 2008, 10:02 am

Look at all the languages we have now. We're talking thousands of years in the making. Going in reverse would in all likely hood take around the same amount of time. I don't think it will be a collective thing, but it will come about slowly and over time. You look at people know and the advancements in technology. We have implants in people that aren't organic. Cyborgish if you will. Machines communicating with our brains through nerve receptors and firing back into machines. I don't honestly mean people will walk around screaming "ONE ZERO ONE ONE ZERO ZERO!". I'm talking Matrix type shit minus Keanu Reeves (cause he'll be dead, at least if I have my way!). The human race as a whole is going that route eventually, I for one just want to get on board early. Robot legs anyone?? Hmm.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 2nd, 2008, 10:08 am

EmperorPenguin wrote:
Look at all the languages we have now. We're talking thousands of years in the making. Going in reverse would in all likely hood take around the same amount of time. I don't think it will be a collective thing, but it will come about slowly and over time. You look at people know and the advancements in technology. We have implants in people that aren't organic. Cyborgish if you will. Machines communicating with our brains through nerve receptors and firing back into machines. I don't honestly mean people will walk around screaming "ONE ZERO ONE ONE ZERO ZERO!". I'm talking Matrix type shit minus Keanu Reeves (cause he'll be dead, at least if I have my way!). The human race as a whole is going that route eventually, I for one just want to get on board early. Robot legs anyone?? Hmm.
how could you fight for that, thats like talking about us eventually giving up our humanity cause the machine makes it easier, or something off-topic like that

Esperanto :x
learning of languages and having options 8)

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » May 2nd, 2008, 10:12 am

armaic is supposively the language of god and a universal language

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » May 2nd, 2008, 10:13 am

aramaic*

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » May 2nd, 2008, 10:14 am

oXJmAuPs2005Xo wrote:armaic is supposively the language of god and a universal language
Well the Muslims say that Arabic is gods language and they (Aramaic, Arabic and Hebrew) are related to each other, but definitely not universal.

oXJmAuPs2005Xo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oXJmAuPs2005Xo » May 2nd, 2008, 10:23 am

was just a thought i want trying to sound smart just repeating something i heard

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 2nd, 2008, 10:27 am

whiskeyjack wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:
how could you fight for that, thats like talking about us eventually giving up our humanity cause the machine makes it easier, or something off-topic like that

Esperanto :x
learning of languages and having options 8)
I'm planting the seeds now my friend. It's only a matter of time, all be it time wise we're talking hundreds, if not thousands of years but when the time comes you can count on me telling you "I told you so!"

I don't have to "fight" for it, it's happening now. Think about it. How often do you HAVE to interact with people. I mean people in the physical sense not the "I have 100 friends on myspace I R C00L!" type people. Think of all the people today that have stay at home jobs online. Where they don't actually have to talk to a person at all. You have tech support lines now that are nothing more then "Press 1 if this is your problem" type stuff. In todays day and age as much as we're more "connected" then ever, we're really not in the physical sense. Ask any kid how often they have to write with a pen and paper. Shit, I barely remember how to write! Calculators are a must in school. Computers, everyone here has one. Phones, blackberries. It's coming. We have to think less, communicate with our languages less, meet people less. Sooner or later you'll all just be blobs of gelatine with electrodes sticking out. Not me though, I'm going to be ED-209. Fuck yeah.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » May 2nd, 2008, 10:34 am

oXJmAuPs2005Xo wrote:was just a thought i want trying to sound smart just repeating something i heard
I would assume that hardcore christians claim that (since Jesus spoke Aramaic), but its not true. As a matter of fact Aramaic is almost dying out if its not dead already, not sure about that.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » May 2nd, 2008, 5:09 pm

We claim the historical evidence shows that Jesus most likely spoke three languages: Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek.
Sentenza wrote:
oXJmAuPs2005Xo wrote:was just a thought i want trying to sound smart just repeating something i heard
I would assume that hardcore christians claim that (since Jesus spoke Aramaic), but its not true. As a matter of fact Aramaic is almost dying out if its not dead already, not sure about that.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » May 2nd, 2008, 6:35 pm

Old Shatterhand wrote:We claim the historical evidence shows that Jesus most likely spoke three languages: Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek.
Sentenza wrote:
I meant that its not true, that Aramaic is a universal language. Its a language like any other language.

Babmuk
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Highfa

Unread post by Babmuk » May 10th, 2008, 5:41 am

Speak Russian,a lil bit english,a lil bit hebrew,Understand good some of the slavonic languages.

Aramaic is not dead.I've seen a bible written in that language and an old guy from Iraq who understood it.
And speaking of Jesus...he spoke aramaic also spoke hebrew BUT with mistakes,and can u explain HOW could he know greek?I dont c no connection between those lands where he lived and greek language.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Re:

Unread post by punamusta » June 15th, 2008, 7:20 am

Babmuk wrote:Speak Russian,a lil bit english,a lil bit hebrew,Understand good some of the slavonic languages.
What slavic languages are easiest to understand to a Russian speaking person? And what are the most difficult ones?

I speak Finnish, English, and very little Swedish (as it's still a mandatory subject in Finnish schools - definetly shouldn't be, but it is). Apart from those I understand pretty well Estonian language, but can't really speak it.

Babmuk
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Knowing one language compared to many

Unread post by Babmuk » June 15th, 2008, 11:50 am

What slavic languages are easiest to understand to a Russian speaking person? And what are the most difficult ones?
Ok,really easy for me to understand Yugoslavian,Bolgarian,Slovenian and Slovakian,,lil bit harder belorussian,more harder western ukrainian and the other languages i can't understand at all, though i can hear 1 of 10 words is like pure russian.

So u r finish guy as i understand.My grandpa whose name i was granted in birth was in that finnish war.Man as i know for pure 100% that fins were REAL warriors,,the way they shot cannons against russians,the aim and spirit,,from what i heard of his stories i gained my respect for finnish people just dont really get how russian mafia is so powerful in your country,probly u ppl forgot how to fight and kick some asses for real!

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » June 16th, 2008, 5:41 pm

I want to learn russian the same time as i learn polish, i know they use different alphabits. Is it possible? is there enough commonalities between the two languages russian, and polish?

Babmuk wrote:
Ok,really easy for me to understand Yugoslavian,Bolgarian,Slovenian and Slovakian,,lil bit harder belorussian,more harder western ukrainian and the other languages i can't understand at all, though i can hear 1 of 10 words is like pure russian.

So u r finish guy as i understand.My grandpa whose name i was granted in birth was in that finnish war.Man as i know for pure 100% that fins were REAL warriors,,the way they shot cannons against russians,the aim and spirit,,from what i heard of his stories i gained my respect for finnish people just dont really get how russian mafia is so powerful in your country,probly u ppl forgot how to fight and kick some asses for real!
thats because the russians brought it to finland, thats a big mistake

the finnish people are like native people they love the forest and when they learn the geography they are like ticks to remove.

but on the other hand

the russians who fought the finnish in those wars were not accustomed to winter climates, the russians that fought in the winter war were from southern russia

But im only half finnish and thats fine

believe it or not some groups of white people see finnish people as primative

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » June 17th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Babmuk wrote:

Nowadays the russian mafia is not so strongly present here anymore. They run the prostitution bisness that Finns never really got into and I think never will... Now it's mainly finnish and finnish-estonian groups that operate here. Some russians too, but not on a very big scale.

But about that war... My father's father was in that war, while my mother's father was a member of a communist party and the Finnish government put him into prison camp. My father's father didn't really want to talk about the war when he was alive. It was a tough and painfull war for the both sides, Finns and Russians. My family is from the area, Carelia, that now belongs to Russia. It was a needless war that should have been avoided. I see it left a lot of bad blood to Finns. But I do respect the russians. Russia treated us much better when we belonged to Russia, than Swedes did at the time we were under the swedish rule. Under russian rule we gained autonomy and afterwards Lenin gave us an independency. From my point of view, the russians are good people.
whiskeyjack wrote: believe it or not some groups of white people see finnish people as primative
That's something that Sweden started in the 18th and 19th century when we were under the Swedish rule. At that time Sweden was a big and powerful monarchy in Europe. To justificate their violent crusade and exploitation on Finns, they came up with a bunch of "scientifical" studies that showed Finns to be irreversibly lazy, stupid, uncivilized, and barbaric. Later on that kind of thinking spreaded among the other "civilized european nations" with the help of the Swedes. Sweden used that reputation for their own benefits as their army basically consistend only poor Finns, who Swedish war commanders urged and demanded to be very barbaric, kill childrens and rape women, etc.

It's unbeliavable that even today we have to learn swedish in our schools, our history books don't talk about the falseness of the Swedish rule, and swedish-speaking Finns (5% of our population) are in many ways concretely privileged in our society.

Babmuk
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Babmuk » June 17th, 2008, 4:41 pm

I want to learn russian the same time as i learn polish, i know they use different alphabits. Is it possible? is there enough commonalities between the two languages russian, and polish?
Of course it's possible,but i suggest that u should learn 1 language in the first place and when u'll be satisfied with knowledge move to another one.You will find same words in both languages but not many of them.After polish easier to start will be bellorussian or western ukrainian.
thats because the russians brought it to finland, thats a big mistake
true
the finnish people are like native people they love the forest and when they learn the geography they are like ticks to remove.

but on the other hand

the russians who fought the finnish in those wars were not accustomed to winter climates, the russians that fought in the winter war were from southern russia
YEah,i understand that finnish people love forests,so do i,lol,but what i was saying that the finish soldiers were really good trained to shoot cannons.
But about that war... My father's father was in that war, while my mother's father was a member of a communist party and the Finnish government put him into prison camp. My father's father didn't really want to talk about the war when he was alive. It was a tough and painfull war for the both sides, Finns and Russians. My family is from the area, Carelia, that now belongs to Russia. It was a needless war that should have been avoided. I see it left a lot of bad blood to Finns. But I do respect the russians. Russia treated us much better when we belonged to Russia, than Swedes did at the time we were under the swedish rule. Under russian rule we gained autonomy and afterwards Lenin gave us an independency. From my point of view, the russians are good people.
True,in last century russians started so many stupid wars,like for example last Tzar..he was weak guy,drunk all the time..such a disgrace.That century was really dark for russian people,alot died during all those wars especially WW2.Than there was war in Afghanistan,and i really respect those afghan warriors,throught the whole history they were kicking asses of their enemies,sooner or later,but that was bekoz of opium fields as i understand.Now US army overthere,doing hard hussle,lol.As for russians i also believe that there still alot of good people,but goverment dont think about them too much,like US goverment dont think too much about PJs and gettos.
It's unbeliavable that even today we have to learn swedish in our schools, our history books don't talk about the falseness of the Swedish rule, and swedish-speaking Finns (5% of our population) are in many ways concretely privileged in our society.
What the hell do u need to study swedish for?
As i heard and understand finnish language is difficult,what languages are close to finnish.
From all europe as i understand the hardest language is hungarian.

My father knows russian(speaking/writing),hebrew-just speaking,german-speaking/writing(sometimes watches the news in german,maaaan),moldovian;whish is really really close to romanian,so that menas he speaks and understand romanian and also understand alil bit italian.Oh,english he speks writes too.What a father lol!

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » June 18th, 2008, 5:09 am

Babmuk wrote:
True,in last century russians started so many stupid wars,like for example last Tzar..he was weak guy,drunk all the time..such a disgrace.That century was really dark for russian people,alot died during all those wars
Yea, you have had a bad luck with many of your leaders throughout the history. Don't know if it's better now with Putin and Medvedev, I hope so.
What the hell do u need to study swedish for?
That's the question. The law gives a right to every swedish-speaking citizen to have service in Swedish if he/she wants it. Finnish-speaking Finns of course don't have that right when being in swedish-speaking parts of our country, that's how biased it is. Swedish-speaking people are hugely priviliged here, yet there are so few of them. More people in Finland speak Russian than Swedish, yet when schools try to change that mandatory swedish to russian, they won't get the permission from the government. I haven't spoke a word of Swedish after I got out of the school, that's how useful language it is in here. But as we once were a colony of Sweden, some people still don't want to let go of that. Swedish government is financially supporting the mandatory swedish in here, and swedish-speaking families have always been one of the most richest and most powerful families in Finland so they have a lot pull on these matters.
As i heard and understand finnish language is difficult,what languages are close to finnish.
From all europe as i understand the hardest language is hungarian.
Closest language to Finnish is Estonian that is understandable for Finnish speaking person. Apart from that, the Hungarian language is a kindred language for us, but much harder to understand than Estonian language. Then there is few of the smaller languages that are kinda same as Finnish. Like Karelian and Vepsian languages that are spoke in the Russia near the Finland's border. Apart from these, there's no languages that could be compared to Finnish. We belong to a very small language-family, called Finno-Ugrian language family.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Re: Re:

Unread post by razbojnik » June 19th, 2008, 9:55 am

punamusta wrote:
Babmuk wrote:Speak Russian,a lil bit english,a lil bit hebrew,Understand good some of the slavonic languages.
Me being a Macedonian, the easiest ones for me to understand are Serbian, Bulgarian, Bosnian, Mongenegrian and Croatian. Slovakian and Slovenian are a little bit hard for me to understand because they aren't really like other South Slavic languages(Macedonian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Croatian), just like Czech and Polish is a little bit different from Russian and Ukranian, it has alot of twisted up words that remind me of some sort of mix between a Slavic language and German. I also get alot of Russian words and understand them since they sound very similar to Macedonian words of the same meaning but if a Russian person spoke a sentence to me in Russian I wouldn't be able to understand all of it since some words are completely different from Macedonian words --- like with Serbian and Bulgarian, especially since Macedonian uses alot of Turkish-Arabic-Middle Eastern type words, I don't know about Ukrainian and I don't know how Belorussian sounds.

The Balkans is a very interesting region. Albanian is very different, there is nothing that sounds similar to it. Same goes with Greek and Romanian as well. Most of the region has Slavic language speakers. Alot of the region is a little bit Turkish like, with a huge Middle Eastern influence in every country. The music is very Turkic-Middle Eastern. You get the same type of singing, the same type of beat and rythm and instruments. We are more of a combination between total chaos and wild which is the Middle East and the more 'civilized' West, as well as a whole bunch of Slavic charactaristics from Russia and them. It's what you get when Slavs, Greeks, Illiryans, Turks and who knows what else mix over centuries. It effects the people's mentality and toughness(we're very tough yes yes warriors), language, culture and who knows what else.

Macedonian has alot of Turkic words in it, but also alot(majority) of Slavic ones, not so much Greek or Illiryan(Albanian) ones. I can understand alot of both Middle Eastern languages and Slavic, not so much Middle Eastern, just the words, but a hell of alot of Slavic.

Kyo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Kyo » July 2nd, 2008, 4:52 am

all people should know at least 3 different languages.Its embarassing to only know one language.
In schools in Serbia you can learn English,Russian,German,French or Spanish.

I am fluent in English (and i dont have that weird eastern european accent when i speak English) but i am not so good in grammar.
On the side i learned Japanese and little bit of Spanish (not so good at Spanish to be honest) + i know Croatian,Bosnian,Montenegrian,and little bit of Macedonian.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 2nd, 2008, 5:08 am

Kyo wrote:all people should know at least 3 different languages.Its embarassing to only know one language.

I am fluent in English (and i dont have that weird eastern european accent when i speak English) but i am not so good in grammar.
On the side i learned Japanese and little bit of Spanish (not so good at Spanish to be honest) + i know Croatian,Bosnian,Montenegrian,and little bit of Macedonian.
How about Bulgarian? It's pretty similar as well. Can you understand it? Very similar to Macedonian, alot of words are different.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 2nd, 2008, 5:09 am

Kyo wrote:all people should know at least 3 different languages.Its embarassing to only know one language.

Arkan learned the main European languages because of his undercover works in Europe. He spoke fluent English, French and Italian, and was also familiar with German, Swedish and Dutch. He also spoke some Albanian and Bulgarian.

I forgot to add this. It is good to know alot of languages. Really useful especially when you are going to a country like America or Canada.

Kyo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Kyo » July 2nd, 2008, 5:58 am

razbojnik wrote:

Arkan learned the main European languages because of his undercover works in Europe. He spoke fluent English, French and Italian, and was also familiar with German, Swedish and Dutch. He also spoke some Albanian and Bulgarian.

I forgot to add this. It is good to know alot of languages. Really useful especially when you are going to a country like America or Canada.
Please dont mention Arkan again bro. I had a bad xperience with that mutha f**ka In 1998.He was a criminal and he did nothing good for Serbian people and i am glad that someone finaly killed him.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 3rd, 2008, 12:27 am

Kyo wrote:
razbojnik wrote:

Please dont mention Arkan again bro. I had a bad xperience with that mutha f**ka In 1998.He was a criminal and he did nothing good for Serbian people and i am glad that someone finaly killed him.
Ahh I see. Sorry brate. :D Ok I won't mention him. Fuck him. :D

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 19th, 2009, 8:18 am

Languages are beneifical to learn, weather your a NOI apostle trying to translate propaganda from English to Spanish to French...

Or a White dude who loves blowing stuff up who needs to learn Pushtan for the Afghanistan mission...

Languages make a difference, especally in a word where diplomas, and degrees arent always enough we have to continue to strive to become better...

One of the people in my apartment found out im learning Finnish, so i taught him all the basics i know i 3 afternoons... Earned a half ounce of dope :)

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » April 20th, 2009, 7:07 am

whiskeyjack wrote:Languages are beneifical to learn, weather your a NOI apostle trying to translate propaganda from English to Spanish to French...

Or a White dude who loves blowing stuff up who needs to learn Pushtan for the Afghanistan mission...

Languages make a difference, especally in a word where diplomas, and degrees arent always enough we have to continue to strive to become better...

One of the people in my apartment found out im learning Finnish, so i taught him all the basics i know i 3 afternoons... Earned a half ounce of dope :)
Why the fuck would you want to learn Finnish?

ogilmore
What city do you live in now?: Dublin

Unread post by ogilmore » May 1st, 2009, 3:17 am

A country without a language is a country without a soul.

IronManCash10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Worldwide

Unread post by IronManCash10 » May 1st, 2009, 9:24 pm

theres no point in learning a different language unless its for a job or your going to live in a different country or something. learn how to make money and hire a translator. in fact, if you learn how to make money and know how to network, that will be the only thing youll ever need to know.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » May 2nd, 2009, 9:16 am

razbojnik wrote:
whiskeyjack wrote:Languages are beneifical to learn, weather your a NOI apostle trying to translate propaganda from English to Spanish to French...

Why the fu-- would you want to learn Finnish?
Because it's a language of love ;)

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 10th, 2009, 11:53 am

Finnish is about as lovely as the verb rakastaa, lol... Rolling those R's wont help you nail a english girl unless she is into languages and accents. lol

Razbo, alot of finish people immigrated here back in the day to escape communism.... And were still kicking around, got to keep in touch with my roots even if iam Canadian...

Also too from what i read on the net and the people i talk too.... Alot of African Americans feel cultureless, well...

Google FSI languages, they have alot of African languages for learning on there. Very good resources, trust me if you want to get in touch with your roots this is one way of doing it... Also too it will beef your resume up...

Swahili
Twi
Hausa
and i think mabye bantu

are examples of languages available to you to learn.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » May 14th, 2009, 11:43 am

Since South Slavic are one of the easiest languges to learn, I'll get on that later.

But now, I'm gonna talk about the languages they teach in the high schools in Macedonia. In this one

http://slavcostojmenskist.schools.edu.m ... temid=8174

They teach Macedonian, English, Italian and German.

Most Macedonian high schoolers already know Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Bulgarian.

In the information university, they teach Russian as a mandatory course and there's tons of people coming down to town from other towns --- and countries for it. We have tons of Kosovo Albanians from Pristina in Stip just for the university and the Serbian government is paying Serb students to come down and go to this university here, they pay your housing, your entire education and everything.

In Western Macedonia, they teach mandatory Albanian along with Macedonian.

50% of Macedonian high schoolers will know Spanish by the time they graduate from the Spanish television series alone, there's like 50 of them on Macedonian TV and there's Macedonian subtitles so...

Instead of Italian, they used to teach mandatory Latin.

Albanian = 15 million people
Macedonian = 10 million people
Bulgarian = 20 million people
Croatian = 10 million people
Bosnian = 10 million people
Serbian = 20 million people
Russian = ...
Spanish = ...
German = ...
Italian = ...
English = ...

Miki Li

Is the only guy in the entire town that knows Japanese from his time at that famous Moscow university forgot it's name...

Too bad he's homeless and isn't taken seriously by alot of people.

My dad knows fluent French from his travels in Paris...

As for South Slavic, the Google translator for Bulgarian, Serbian and Croatian is fairly accurate....

I also stumbled across this in a misclick on one website, call it luck

http://www.livemocha.com/?gclid=CJXqo5e ... zAodwUCu9Q

It might help alot of people.

Bulgarian Alphabet ISO 9 IPA Name of Letter English equivalent
А а A a /a/ a a like in "watt"
Б б B b /b/ бъ b like in "bug"
В в V v /v/ въ v like in "vet"
Г г G g /ɡ/ гъ g like in "god"
Д д D d /d/ дъ d like in "dog"
Е е E e /ɛ/ е e like in "best"
Ж ж Ž ž /ʒ/ жъ s like in "treasure"
З з Z z /z/ зъ z like in "zoo"
И и I i /i/ и ee like in "see"
Й й J j /j/ и кратко y like in "yes"
К к K k /k/ къ
c like in "cat"
Л л L l /l/, /ʎ/ лъ
l like in "line"
М м M m /m/ мъ m like in "man"
Н н N n /n/ нъ n like in "normal"
О o O o /ɔ/ о o like in "not"
П п P p /p/ пъ p like in "pet"
Р р R r /r/ ръ r like in "restaurant"
С с S s /s/ съ s like in "sound"
Т т T t /t/ тъ t like in "top"
У у U u /u/ у oo like in "boot"
Ф ф F f /f/ фъ f like in "food"
Х х H h /x/ хъ ch like in "loch"
Ц ц C c /ts/ цъ ts like in "fits"
Ч ч Č č /tʃ/ чъ ch like in "chip"
Ш ш Š š /ʃ/ шъ sh like in "shot"
Щ щ Ŝ ŝ /ʃt/ щъ sht like in "wisht"
Ъ ъ ʺ /ə/ ер голям u like in "fur"
Ь ь ʹ /ʲ/ ер малък combined with <о> as ьо, for a pronunciation like yo in "yoyo"

less often with e as ьe, prounced like ye in "yet"
Ю ю Û û /ju/ ю u like in "menu"
Я я Â â /ja/ я ya like in "yacht"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cyrillic
IPA А а
/a/ Б б
/b/ В в
/v/ Г г
/ɡ/ Д д
/d/ Ѓ ѓ
/ɟ/ Е е
/ɛ/ Ж ж
/ʒ/ З з
/z/ Ѕ ѕ
/dz/ И и
/i/
Cyrillic
IPA Ј ј
/j/ К к
/k/ Л л
/l/ Љ љ
/lj/ М м
/m/ Н н
/n/ Њ њ
/ɲ/ О о
/ɔ/ П п
/p/ Р р
/r/ С с
/s/
Cyrillic
IPA Т т
/t/ Ќ ќ
/c/ У у
/u/ Ф ф
/f/ Х х
/x/ Ц ц
/ts/ Ч ч
/tʃ/ Џ џ
/dʒ/ Ш ш
/ʃ/

(A a) is pronounced like a in father.
(B b) is pronounced like b in brother.
(V v) is pronounced like v in victory.
(G g) is pronounced like g in great.
(D d) is pronounced like d in door
(Gj gj) is pronounced like j in joy
(E e) is pronounced like e in men.
(Zh zh) is pronounced like su in pleasure.
(Z z) is pronounced like z in zebra.
(Dz dz) does not have equivalent sound in English, nor in most languages.
(I i) is pronounced like i in me.
(J j) is pronounced like y in young.
(K k) is pronounced like k in kindness.
(L l) is pronounced like l in loop.
(Lj lj) is pronounced like lj in million. It is the same sound denoted in italian with gl, such as in sba glio.
(M m) is pronounced like m in mother.
(N n) is pronounced like n in night.
(NJ nj) is pronounced like nj in lasagna.
(O o) is pronounced like o in floor.
(P p) is pronounced like p in pot.
(R r) is pronounced like r in rest.
(S s) is pronounced like s in sun.
(T t) is pronounced like t in tea.
(Kj kj) is pronounced like cu in cute.
(U u) is pronounced like u in rule.
(F f) is pronounced like f in find.
(H h) is pronounced like h in his.
(C c) is pronounced like tz in Tzar.
(Ch ch) is pronounced like ch in cheek.
(Dzh dzh) is pronounced like j in jungle.
(Sh sh) is pronounced like sh in sheet.

http://translate.google.com/translate_t ... l=en&tl=sq#

Learn it. :D

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 14th, 2009, 1:23 pm

compared to Russian Cyrillic, what other letters does the southern Slavic letters have compared to Russian? and are they pronounced differently
?