Juneteenth 2008 Buffalo, New York

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Juneteenth 2008 Buffalo, New York

Unread post by A Ghost » June 20th, 2008, 10:02 am

The BIGGEST Juneteenth in America. Buffalo, New York.

(The parade)

LMAO @ what was said in the end.

Part 1:

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Juneteenth 2008 Buffalo, New York

Unread post by A Ghost » June 20th, 2008, 10:04 am

my bad for the shaky camera all I had was my digital camera.

Part 2:

(part 3)

(dora the explorer, community missions handing out condoms, African American police association, puerto rican pride, drill teams)

(I laughed at the condoms because this cute female walked over to me and my friend and gave them two us and giving condoms to 2 dudes looks suspect as hell)

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » June 20th, 2008, 10:05 am

Part 4:

New York State Troopers

Part 5:

Young Miss Buffalo Pageant contestants:

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » June 20th, 2008, 10:06 am

(Part 6)

(Omega mentoring program, basketball, little league teams, emancipation proclamation, color guard, boys and girls club and other organizations)

(Part 7)

Juneteenth Parade Buffalo New York 2008

(Mayor Byron Brown procession, literacy organizations and other organizations)

(yeah I zoomed in on a cute female in the mayors procession) lol

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » June 20th, 2008, 10:07 am

(Part 8)

drill team

Part 9

(Drill team, girl scouts)

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » June 20th, 2008, 10:08 am

part 10

(Obama Campaign "ITS OBAMA TIME!", 1199 SEIU Organization, Kwanzaa committee)

lol for some reason I thought it was funny as hell that they had a big cardboard cutout of Obama...

part 11 (final part, I couldnt stay I had to go to work)

(Religious organizations, drill teams, Home organization)

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » June 28th, 2008, 9:48 am

http://www.buffalorising.com/story/june ... eedom_fest

The Juneteenth Festival is not unique to Buffalo, any more than it is to African Americans. The fifth largest Juneteenth celebration nationwide, Buffalo's chapter celebrates emancipation of African Americans and others from slavery, but more importantly it signifies freedom for all people, as set forth in the of the Declaration of Independence that is celebrated every Fourth of July.

Juneteenth, however, celebrates June 19, 1865, the day Major General Gordon Granger of the Union Army rode into Galveston, Texas in final execution of the Emancipation Proclamation. It is the oldest known observance of the ending of slavery in the United States.

Marcus Brown President of the Board of Directors of Juneteenth, Inc., says, "It took a whole rainbow of people to make freedom happen, and Juneteenth is an opportunity to celebrate that together as a community."

Brown points out that many people suffered oppression and prejudice, and says that it's important to him to educate all people, especially young people, who may not understand the worth of their present because they're unaware of the trials of the past. Therefore, the Buffalo Juneteenth Festival has made a point of bringing many historical and cultural elements in as learning tools to go along with the festivities.

"This is a celebration of what America is," Brown said. "We're still striving for democracy, and this is as close as we've ever been. Look at this year's [presidential] election. A woman and a black man running, and all of America having a chance to voice their opinion."

This year, Brown says the committee decided that one way to get the word out about this 33-year old event was to print the back of the souvenir T-shirts with information about the origins of Juneteenth. "Not everyone was able to celebrate freedom on July 4th of 1776," Brown says of this celebration of equality.

"Let's not forget," Brown said, "Black men were allowed to vote before white women. And the freedom to vote can change a person's life in many ways—health, economy, education." Brown laughs, "We ain't done yet. And we're all in the same boat."

Along with music, food and fun, expect some serious history lessons at Juneteenth. "We reenact a slave auction—I've studied and learned all of the trials and tribulations African Americans went through. I've been to the places where it happened, and I can tell you there are spirits in that history."

Brown continues, "You know what probably bothers me most, is that I don't know how young people will tolerate it. I had a boy of about 15 come to me not too long ago—crying—someone told him about the Holocaust. I'm not making a comparison between that and slavery, but it made me realize that we have a lot of work to do in educating people. We need to educate all people."

Held July 8 - 15 in Martin Luther King Jr. Park at the intersection of Best Street and Fillmore Avenue, Juneteenth's mission is to present educational and cultural activities that will benefit the community as a whole, while creating an understanding of African American heritage.

In addition to Juneteenth, Sankofa Days, from June 7 to June 13, will precede the festival in MLK Park with 7 days of events leading up to the festival. The Sankofa is a bird of West African mythology that flies forward while looking backward. It carries an egg in its mouth, symbolizing the future. With this in mind, Sankofa days are a way of looking to history to benefit the future.

"The Sankofa activities are a compilation of physical art, lectures, poetry, film, talent and cultural events. They're offered after school hours to encourage families to attend," according to Ras Jomo Coordinator of Sankofa Days. "Everyone is invited, with the exception of the adults-only social on June 7 at 9PM."

This open invitation is one that is repeated over and over, as organizers of the events work to inform the community at large. Jomo goes on to say that it's essential for children, in order to instill values, educate, and give them a "fixed" place in the community, one with pride and identity. "Most of these things have to be learned through the community," Jomo said. "We really want everyone to be there."

For a full schedule of Juneteenth and Sankofa Day activities, visit http://www.juneteenthofbuffalo.com.

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » June 30th, 2008, 2:04 am

that "holiday" makes me laugh, even the goddam name, lmfao

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » June 30th, 2008, 9:29 am

thekinks1886 wrote:that "holiday" makes me laugh, even the goddam name, lmfao
And why is that?

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » July 1st, 2008, 8:44 am

A Ghost wrote:
And why is that?

you are seriously asking what is funny, it doesn't even make any sense, a friggin mishmash of the words nineteenth and june, giving a frigging month an ending associated with a day, holy shit, and making that the name for a holiday, now that is funny

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 1st, 2008, 9:34 am

thekinks1886 wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
And why is that?

you are seriously asking what is funny, it doesn't even make any sense, a friggin mishmash of the words nineteenth and june, giving a frigging month an ending associated with a day, holy shit, and making that the name for a holiday, now that is funny
Simply by your post I can see you have no idea what you are talking about. Juneteenth is a celebration of when the slaves were freed. Look up why its held on June 19th and you will see:

http://www.juneteenth.com/

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » July 2nd, 2008, 6:46 am

A Ghost wrote: Simply by your post I can see you have no idea what you are talking about. Juneteenth is a celebration of when the slaves were freed. Look up why its held on June 19th and you will see:

I am well aware of the what Juneteenth is, and it does not make the name funnier "JUNETEENTH" a mishmash

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 2nd, 2008, 10:28 am

thekinks1886 wrote:
A Ghost wrote: Simply by your post I can see you have no idea what you are talking about. Juneteenth is a celebration of when the slaves were freed. Look up why its held on June 19th and you will see:

I am well aware of the what Juneteenth is, and it does not make the name funnier "JUNETEENTH" a mishmash
Columbus day is the one that makes me laugh.

Juneteenth is simply a clever play of words designed to celebrate a wonderful event in American history. I like that name.

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » July 3rd, 2008, 5:15 am

A Ghost wrote:
Columbus day is the one that makes me laugh.

Juneteenth is simply a clever play of words designed to celebrate a wonderful event in American history. I like that name.

That would make sense if it was "COLUMBOCTOBER", but it isn't is it, not like the funny "Juneteenth"

You should thank Columbus, without his discovery, there would be no Juneteenth, unless the "native" Americans somehow managed to get the technology together to buy slaves off black africans

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 3rd, 2008, 7:03 am

thekinks1886 wrote:

You should thank Columbus, without his discovery, there would be no Juneteenth, unless the "native" Americans somehow managed to get the technology together to buy slaves off black africans
Are you kidding me? You're joking me right?

First of all please give your erroneous reason as to why you put quotation marks around the term "native".

Secondly, "buying slaves off black africans"?

At the time of the Atlantic slave trade there was another slave "trade" occuring called the arabic slave "trade." If this would not have occured then the Africans would have had enough power to fight off the Europeans during the Atlantic slave "trade."

Now with this in mind you will see that the Africans were in a bad situation and were tricked into helping the evil Europeans who enslaved the Africans.

Yes there were Africans who captured other Africans and gave them to the Europeans.

There were also Jews who worked for the Nazis. Does that excuse what the Nazis did to the Jews, or what the Europeans did to the Africans?

No.

Colombus came to America and paved the way for slaughter and slavery.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 3rd, 2008, 7:42 am

Razbojnik and thekinks1886 PLEASE STOP POSTING IMMEDIATELY

Your input is unwanted, irrelevant, misinformed, and your a bunch of gotdamn furrners

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Unread post by razbojnik » July 3rd, 2008, 8:10 am

Cold Bear wrote:Razbojnik and thekinks1886 PLEASE STOP POSTING IMMEDIATELY

Your input is unwanted, irrelevant, misinformed, and your a bunch of gotdamn furrners
Nein! You need us. Without us you would have no one to argue with and no one to disagree with you thus it would be boring for you on this forum this you would have no reason to come here. Also, just because we won a bunch of arguments and pissed you off on the race issue.. Jeez.. Your gonna try and get me banned again. Oh well. I'll come back after a month or so if I do.

Btw:

I don't give a crap if my input is unwanted, as long as people respond to it or notice it. Irrelevent? In what way? Misinformed? I'm plenty informed on a wide range of topics. And there's you being racist right there. Thank you for proving my point.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 3rd, 2008, 8:12 am

A Ghost wrote:
thekinks1886 wrote:

Simply by your post I can see you have no idea what you are talking about. Juneteenth is a celebration of when the slaves were freed. Look up why its held on June 19th and you will see:

Awww my June is ruined!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :P Nah just kidding. I don't really care for this, they can celebrate all they want it's their right. Just like my right to carry around an AK47 and drive around a tank because it's part of my culture and religion. Before you told everyone I didn't know what this event was thus I didn't post here. I only post where I know my stuff or where my interest lies... Carry on..

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 3rd, 2008, 11:20 am

thekinks is a straight up racist, razbojnik seems like someone who just doesn't know what he's talking about.

No offense Razbojnik.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 5th, 2008, 8:03 am

A Ghost wrote:

thekinks is a straight up racist, razbojnik seems like someone who just doesn't know what he's talking about.

No offense Razbojnik.
No problem. :D

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by clipse » July 5th, 2008, 3:30 pm

They will stay as long as you all continue to give them a audience and respond to their bulls-hit.

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » July 7th, 2008, 1:53 am

A Ghost wrote:

No offense Razbojnik.

You don't understand the meaning of the term "racist"

I judge people as individuals you ascribe "group identity" to people based on their skin tone

You are the bona fide racist, kudos to you

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 7th, 2008, 7:29 am

thekinks1886 wrote:
A Ghost wrote:

No offense Razbojnik.

I judge people as individuals you ascribe "group identity" to people based on their skin tone

Jahowl!

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Riverside

Unread post by Vincetheprince » July 7th, 2008, 7:40 am

What's this post about

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 7th, 2008, 10:19 am

Vincetheprince wrote:What's this post about
Do you know what Juneteenth is?

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 7th, 2008, 10:20 am

razbojnik wrote:
thekinks1886 wrote:

Jahowl!
Typical white supremacists.

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Vincetheprince » July 8th, 2008, 4:43 am

no what is juneteenth?

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 8th, 2008, 9:44 am

Vincetheprince wrote:no what is juneteenth?
Its a celebration of the end of slavery.

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by clipse » July 8th, 2008, 2:05 pm

A Ghost wrote:
Vincetheprince wrote:no what is juneteenth?
Its a celebration of the end of slavery.
But it hasnt ended.

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Vincetheprince » July 8th, 2008, 9:10 pm

you're right it hasn't ended and that's a very sad thing in my opinion

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 12th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Vincetheprince wrote:you're right it hasn't ended and that's a very sad thing in my opinion
ROFL!!! :D

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Vincetheprince » July 13th, 2008, 1:19 pm

how is that funny?