Southern Racism

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Southern Racism

Unread post by Red Kelly » August 18th, 2004, 4:45 pm

"We all know that the south is the home to the most racists people in the US whether they are republicans or democrats. The South is the dirty south."

Alonso, you made this quote on a previous thread and I wanted to generate some dialogue and opinion on the subject. I would love to hear what information you are basing this on. Is this personal experience, based upon some type of study, or just a stereotype that you are buying into?

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Southern Racism

Unread post by willihen » August 21st, 2004, 3:53 pm

Whooaaa! Hey buddy don't be so quick to talk about such.

I see you are a fellow Southerner. Yeah its still pretty backwards someplaces but take care. The history dosen't lie, its been bad throughout history.
But it is gettin better.

Most people don't realize the Most KKK activity is in the north. IT's a fact.

One day we'll turn it around. Give it a couple more generations.

Take care.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » August 21st, 2004, 3:53 pm

I didn't realize how racist Los Angeles people can be until I moved out here.

KRDreJ
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KRDreJ » August 21st, 2004, 4:49 pm

willihen wrote:I didn't realize how racist Los Angeles people can be until I moved out here.
I don't see anything racist about it.

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » August 22nd, 2004, 11:42 am

Well he is right about southern racism. Blacks down in Louisiana are so racist is unbelivable. I used to live in Mandeville and the toads were big time haters. I dont want to hear any BS about it either. Segragation is natural cause people feel comfortable with there own. Just like people rep hoods. Southern Blacks are 100% racist to the bone against their own even when they are too light. You guys dont like the truth around here at all....

Red Kelly
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Red Kelly » August 23rd, 2004, 10:45 am

"Whooaaa! Hey buddy don't be so quick to talk about such."

I think you missed the part where I said that was a quote from Alonso. I disagree with the statement. I do realize that there are racial problems all over the country but I believe that the whole white southern racism angle is pushed a little to hard by the media and society at large. I think different parts of the country have different black / white issues to overcome. The county I live in for example has a population of 200,000. Blacks make up 50% or more of the population and there is not a large rural population so everybody has to interact on some level sooner or later. There are still neighborhoods that are almost completely all one color or the other but I think this is more often than not an economic issue more than a racial one. Even so neighborhoods are sometimes in such close proximity that you can go from very rich to very poor in the blink of an eye. I just think that a city with two races that are a lot closer in terms of sheer numbers will have a different racial climate than a city where one is the minority by far. We have different issues to address than a place like LA county where the black population is only 10%.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » August 24th, 2004, 10:58 am

Red Kelly wrote:"Whooaaa! Hey buddy don't be so quick to talk about such."

I think you missed the part where I said that was a quote from Alonso. I disagree with the statement. I do realize that there are racial problems all over the country but I believe that the whole white southern racism angle is pushed a little to hard by the media and society at large. I think different parts of the country have different black / white issues to overcome. The county I live in for example has a population of 200,000. Blacks make up 50% or more of the population and there is not a large rural population so everybody has to interact on some level sooner or later. There are still neighborhoods that are almost completely all one color or the other but I think this is more often than not an economic issue more than a racial one. Even so neighborhoods are sometimes in such close proximity that you can go from very rich to very poor in the blink of an eye. I just think that a city with two races that are a lot closer in terms of sheer numbers will have a different racial climate than a city where one is the minority by far. We have different issues to address than a place like LA county where the black population is only 10%.
Personally from my own experience.....I have encountered many more racist whites up north....NY than down here in the south ....Virginia. Down here where I am at least the white folks are more cordial and will greet you. My brother-in-law and his friends are what many people would refer to as a "redneck" but we get along just fine. I think racism at times is based on ignorance and fear. In my opinion .....if you conduct yourself like a man and treat people with BASIC respect (not kissing someone's ass)....for the most part you will get that in return from people.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » August 24th, 2004, 6:38 pm

Red Kelly wrote:"We all know that the south is the home to the most racists people in the US whether they are republicans or democrats. The South is the dirty south."

Alonso, you made this quote on a previous thread and I wanted to generate some dialogue and opinion on the subject. I would love to hear what information you are basing this on. Is this personal experience, based upon some type of study, or just a stereotype that you are buying into?
Red Kelly,
I apologize. I misread the post, my fault, next time I'll be sure to read more carefully.

FLUID
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by FLUID » August 28th, 2004, 12:34 am

White people are racist as hell in Illinois too. A whole lot of em' be flashin them confederate flags.

fatlaces
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by fatlaces » August 28th, 2004, 4:02 pm

Nope the south has a lock on racism, you can still goto Vidor,Texas and see pictures of blackmen swinging off trees, in Waller,Texas some kids have their kkk costumes in their lockers, Ya'll remember what happend to Mr.Byrd in Jasper,Texas now these are small towns but the presence of that kind of racism is felt here in no other place like the south

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”