Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Post Reply
Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 65
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 10:34 am
What city do you live in now?: Carrollton

Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Motion » May 1st, 2010, 7:02 pm


Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 65
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 10:34 am
What city do you live in now?: Carrollton

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Motion » May 1st, 2010, 7:16 pm

I see his overall point. Black spending power is close to $1 trillion. So why so much Black poverty?? That's plenty of money to make many Black owned businesses profitable while those businesses provide jobs reducing poverty.

Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 65
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 10:34 am
What city do you live in now?: Carrollton

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Motion » May 3rd, 2010, 11:46 pm

That was Dr.Claude Anderson author of the book Powernomics speaking.

Scooby318
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 59
Joined: September 20th, 2009, 6:13 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Kentucky
What city do you live in now?: Shreveport
Location: South

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Scooby318 » March 16th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Good video, too.

Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 65
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 10:34 am
What city do you live in now?: Carrollton

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Motion » April 16th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Scooby318 wrote:Good video, too.
Yeah,if youth unemployment plays a big factor in gang formation then I'd think one of the solutions would be for more business development going on in Black communities as a way to deal with this high unemployment.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 756
Joined: September 8th, 2010, 11:01 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Quepolo3 » April 17th, 2011, 6:14 am

He is speaking the absolute truth, however I think its deeper than that. You have to look at the fact that we are not educated in how to become business owners. The ability to get loans and the ability to manage our money goes hand and hand. I have seen to many instances where one of our young brothers or sisters comes into some money and the first thing they do is spend it. They buy a car and add some rims and sounds, Start wearing these $300.00 jeans, and giving all their money to foot locker. They make it rain in the club, and spend $200 dollars a day on some kush, or diesal. What is the final result, you are a professional consumer. If we show them how to take those same dollars and put it into CD's and use those as collateral to get loans and work the system, we would see a change. However, many in our community aren't intersted in that, because that's not a quick fix.

Having been a business owner for over 13 years, I know the sacrifice it takes to own a business. However, our community doesn't support our businesses like the asian, white and hispanic community. We have been trained to think that black business services are of less quality, or we don't work as hard, or it costs more when dealing with our business. All of which are untrue. Until we understand the importance of recycling our dollars, these facts will never change.

Right now we have many black entrepreneurs, their businesses are open 24hrs. 7 days a week. Their industry is the dope game. If we could change that focus and energy and create a financial avenue to back some of their ideas, we would see a dramatic change in the number minorities, not just blacks that own businesses.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Sentenza » April 17th, 2011, 6:24 am

Quepolo3 wrote:
Having been a business owner for over 13 years, I know the sacrifice it takes to own a business. However, our community doesn't support our businesses like the asian, white and hispanic community. We have been trained to think that black business services are of less quality, or we don't work as hard, or it costs more when dealing with our business. All of which are untrue. Until we understand the importance of recycling our dollars, these facts will never change.
That has always puzzled me too. Blacks dont seem to have that kind of mentality to stick together, like many europeans and asians do.
When they go somewhere, the first thing they do is to build an infrastructure for their people, to get employed, to make money, send their kids to college etc.
Blacks kind of seem too divided and disorganized....Why is that?

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 756
Joined: September 8th, 2010, 11:01 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Quepolo3 » April 17th, 2011, 6:34 am

Sentenza wrote:
Quepolo3 wrote:
That has always puzzled me too. Blacks dont seem to have that kind of mentality to stick together, like many europeans and asians do.
When they go somewhere, the first thing they do is to build an infrastructure for their people, to get employed, to make money, send their kids to college etc.
Blacks kind of seem too divided and disorganized....Why is that?
@Sentenza- I wish I had an answer for you bruh. That is the million dollar question. Back in the day when we had no choice but to do buisness with each other we had prospering business. One example would be the Central Ave. buisness district. However, when the desegregation of schools and communities started to happen, everyone else kept doing business with their communities but we didn't. I think that we started to focus so much on the ability and right to do business in the white community, that we forgot out about the importance of doing business in ours and how it would affect our community in the long run. Now that's just my oppinion, others may have a different perspective.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1018
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Location: Everywhere in Canada

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 17th, 2011, 8:11 am

de segragation also ruined the american school systems, LOL. Black people too busy jumping around barking like dogs to be concerned with winning nobel peace prizes and making business deals. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsbZ2C9bH1k

Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 65
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 10:34 am
What city do you live in now?: Carrollton

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Motion » April 17th, 2011, 10:21 am

I want to add thing angle. Lets just say that the economic progress of the Black community should be tied to both the public and private sectors. The problem with Blacks is that we put more emphasis on the public sector or gov't for dealing with our economic issues. Since the 60's and 70's the agenda of much of our Black leadership and politicians has been on government wealth redistribution programs and gov't jobs for Blacks. Basically there's nothing wrong with that. But this over emphasis on gov't jobs and programs has trickled down to the Black masses. Too many Blacks have put all of their eggs in this one government basket. Much of our Black middle class is made up of government workers and not as entreprenurs. This is why whenever we hear of government cuts alot of Blacks get nervous because we know our financial destiny is heavily tied to gov't.

Economiclly Blacks need to diversify. Yes we need gov't jobs and programs like anyone else but let's not put all of our financial eggs in that one basket. We need more of our Black middle class being represented in the private sector especially as business owners and along with this we can provide more jobs for the Black poor. This way when gov't jobs and programs get cut we won't be as nervous. Even though many of us can use those jobs and progarms we won't be as dependent on them as we are now. Again lets diversify.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 756
Joined: September 8th, 2010, 11:01 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Quepolo3 » April 17th, 2011, 10:39 am

Motion wrote:I want to add thing angle. Lets just say that the economic progress of the Black community should be tied to both the public and private sectors. The problem with Blacks is that we put more emphasis on the public sector or gov't for dealing with our economic issues. Since the 60's and 70's the agenda of much of our Black leadership and politicians has been on government wealth redistribution programs and gov't jobs for Blacks. Basically there's nothing wrong with that. But this over emphasis on gov't jobs and programs has trickled down to the Black masses. Too many Blacks have put all of their eggs in this one government basket. Much of our Black middle class is made up of government workers and not as entreprenurs. This is why whenever we hear of government cuts alot of Blacks get nervous because we know our financial destiny is heavily tied to gov't.

Economiclly Blacks need to diversify. Yes we need gov't jobs and programs like anyone else but let's not put all of our financial eggs in that one basket. We need more of our Black middle class being represented in the private sector especially as business owners and along with this we can provide more jobs for the Black poor. This way when gov't jobs and programs get cut we won't be as nervous. Even though many of us can use those jobs and progarms we won't be as dependent on them as we are now. Again lets diversify.
@ Motion- very good point

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 756
Joined: September 8th, 2010, 11:01 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Quepolo3 » April 17th, 2011, 10:43 am

whiskeyjack wrote:de segragation also ruined the american school systems, LOL. Black people too busy jumping around barking like dogs to be concerned with winning nobel peace prizes and making business deals. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsbZ2C9bH1k
@whiskeyjack- I'm trying to understand the context of jumping around and barking like dogs, in relation to the nobel peace prize and making business deals. I'm not quite following, could you elaborate?

Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 65
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 10:34 am
What city do you live in now?: Carrollton

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Motion » April 17th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Here's how Caribbean people have been able to raise money to start businesses.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/franchises/ ... 63362.html

Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 65
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 10:34 am
What city do you live in now?: Carrollton

Re: Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Unread post by Motion » October 12th, 2011, 1:05 am

Here's another clip of the video.



Post Reply