Dirty secret of black-on-Asian violence is out

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Old_man07
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Dirty secret of black-on-Asian violence is out

Unread post by Old_man07 » May 2nd, 2010, 3:08 pm

San Francisco's hidden truth is out. That's what community organizer Carol Mo calls the realization that Asian residents are being targeted for robberies, burglaries and intimidation by young black men.

"It is San Francisco's dirty little secret," said Mo, a former Safety Network Community organizer in the Sunset District. "It's not news to us."

Hundreds of people marched into Tuesday's Board of Supervisors meeting to express their fear, frustration and outrage. But so far the response has been disappointing, particularly from the San Francisco Police Department. It seems intent on downplaying the role of race and its impact in the community.

The recent incidents of black violence against Asians is the perfect opportunity to open a dialogue about racism. Instead, they are attempting to close the door.

City officials, including the Police Department, say these assaults are part of a larger crime picture where gangs of kids take advantage of a vulnerable group of small stature. But Mo participated in a 2008 survey by the Police Department in which about 300 strong-arm robberies were analyzed. "In 85 percent of the physical assault crimes, the victims were Asian and the perpetrators were African American," she said.

The squeamishness city officials are experiencing about confronting those numbers doesn't reflect well on anyone. No one is saying the entire African American community is violent. But ignoring the legitimate anger and frustration from Asians is disingenuous and unfair.

"We love San Francisco," said the Rev. Norman Fong, a Presbyterian minister. "And we don't want to do anything to divide the communities. But at the same time, our community is hurting and we feel like our voices are not being heard."

Now that the Asian community has found its voice, city leaders must listen and respond. What should be done? Here are a few suggestions:

-- Understand the underlying conflict: This isn't just about stealing iPods. There's a deep divide between the two communities. Edward Chang, who lectures on civil unrest and race relations at UC Riverside, has studied the contentious history of Korean-African American relations in Los Angeles when Korean store owners moved into black neighborhoods.

"There was this sense of being invaded by someone else," Chang said. "There was a sense of needing to protect and defend their turf."

Another factor is the way the two cultures are perceived. Lee Mun Wah, a Berkeley-based documentary filmmaker and diversity trainer for large corporations, said there is resentment over how Asians are seen as "the favored minority."

"We are pitted against each other," Wah said. "African Americans sometimes say, 'We did all the work in civil rights, and they get all the benefits.' "

-- Create a dialogue: As Chang said, "In order to build trust, you must do things together." Wah suggests hiring black employees in Asian stores. Board of Supervisors President David Chiu is pushing a summer program to hire black and Asian youths to work together in community patrols.

-- Speak up: Chiu thinks the language barrier is a huge part of the reason Asian victims do no report crimes. He stresses the need for multilingual police officers.

But the Chinese community also needs to overcome its reticence to go to the police. They are only making themselves more vulnerable by being seen, as one officer put it, as "silent, vulnerable and unwilling to fight back."

-- Listen to Mrs. Cheng: The 52-year-old woman was attacked March 22 when a 15-year-old boy allegedly threw her off the Muni platform at Third Street and Oakdale Avenue. She was injured, but she says she doesn't want retribution.

"This is my simple request," she wrote in an e-mail with the help of an interpreter. "That we can all live safely in our own homes without being burglarized. I feel ashamed that this horrible bad luck has happened to me. I only hope that my bad luck will fend off future bad luck situations for other people."

And then she added one more thought.

"My neighbor is black," she said. "Though we can't communicate much, he is a good person and a good friend. He often jokes that he would teach me English and I Chinese to him."

That would be a great start - two people talking.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0moQnkyj6

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Dirty secret of black-on-Asian violence is out

Unread post by perongregory » May 2nd, 2010, 3:20 pm

It's not a dirty secret idiot ass black criminals pick on the vulnerable like all criminals, is the dirty secret out about anti-black racism that's prevalent in Asia especially China? Attacking Africans students in mobs and such.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » May 2nd, 2010, 3:22 pm

And why would some white fool preface it with dirty little secret... Agent provocateur ass mufucka.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 2nd, 2010, 7:21 pm

perongregory wrote:And why would some white fool preface it with dirty little secret... Agent provocateur ass mufucka.
he must be getting the boot from out of mommy's basement and is venting his anger :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » May 3rd, 2010, 8:15 am

City officials, including the Police Department, say these assaults are part of a larger crime picture where gangs of kids take advantage of a vulnerable group of small stature.
This is all the information we need from the article. Larger groups pick on smaller vulnerable groups.
It happens to Salvadorians in South Mexico, to black people in Russia, to Muslims in East Germany, to White people in Simbabwe etc.
Now tell me that someone in this world is innocent from this shit and im gonna laugh my fuckin ass off.

shing
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by shing » May 3rd, 2010, 5:31 pm

where are all the wah ching and jackson street boys? that's why gangs like these were formed in the first place.

caliboi
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: killa state

Unread post by caliboi » May 5th, 2010, 2:56 pm

man blacks shuldnt mess with asians cuz in the lbc i kno for a fact that blacks and asians get along straight up

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » May 7th, 2010, 12:44 am

people fuck with each other if they're not fucking someone else up.

warhead
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by warhead » November 6th, 2011, 4:59 am

:lol:

Asians have no time for this kind of BS. Asians are too busy making studying, making money, and trying to take over the world. :wink:

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » November 6th, 2011, 5:33 pm

I don't think there is a "dirty secret" here. In my oppinion, the economy and criminal opportunity dictates this. The economy, lack of jobs, and potential for gainful employment is affecting a lot of black and hispanic people. Especially the youngstas. The Asian community has not been affected by these factors, so they are viewed as having money. As a result, they are becoming targets of opportunity, and are being targeted more for their economic standings. I think that this can happen to anyone, regardless of race. If you look like you can be easily removed of your valuables and money, you will be targeted.

DiegoDog
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: NorCal

Unread post by DiegoDog » May 14th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Sentenza wrote:
City officials, including the Police Department, say these assaults are part of a larger crime picture where gangs of kids take advantage of a vulnerable group of small stature.
This is all the information we need from the article. Larger groups pick on smaller vulnerable groups.
It happens to Salvadorians in South Mexico, to black people in Russia, to Muslims in East Germany, to White people in Simbabwe etc.
Now tell me that someone in this world is innocent from this shit and im gonna laugh my fuckin ass off.
This was/is the most intellectual post on this thread. ^^^called as he saw and how it is for all colors...