Black & Native American Slave Owners

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Carrollton

Black & Native American Slave Owners

Unread post by Motion » May 4th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Some interesting info. This may expand on your view of slavery.

By the time of the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, the slaves owned by the Five Nations numbered approximately ten thousand. Unlike slavery in the southern states, the form of slavery in Indian Territory widely varied. The Creek and Seminole often intermarried with their slaves and allowed a broad range of freedoms. The Cherokee resisted intermarriage but pursued benign relationships on their small farms. The Choctaw and Chickasaw more closely approximated the system of white slave holders on the cotton plantations.

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/ency ... FR016.html
According to the federal census of 1830, free blacks owned more than 10,000 slaves in Louisiana, Maryland, South Carolina, and Virginia. The majority of black slaveowners lived in Louisiana and planted sugar cane.

http://www.uwec.edu/Geography/Ivogeler/ ... arles3.htm

Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Black & Native American Slave Owners

Unread post by Motion » May 4th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Throughout the years I've seen various movies and documentries on slavery. They all primarily focused on slavery as far as whites enslaving Blacks. Since it is a fact that some Native Americans and Blacks owned slaves then my question is at what point do their involvement in slave owning get injected into the conversation?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » May 5th, 2010, 5:28 pm

The natives paid dearly and still pay... the 5 "civillized" tribes who owned slaves tried very hard to assimilate into white culture -taking black slaves was one of the ways of assimilating- and still got fucked by their white allies. The Arabs are getting fucked as well in the present age -for the evils they committed, black slavery being one of them. I feel karma hits every nation and group for their collective sins. Blacks are paying for their sins as well. Only whites seem to have fucked everybody and got off scot free, but karma will pay them a visit as well.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » May 5th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Also the 5 civillized tribes manumitted many slaves and allowed black Indian offspring into the Indian books, granting them the rights of the tribe. White slaveholders and families screwed manay interracial offspring out of land etc. I should know being that my family dealt with slavery under the Choctaaw and whites. The difference, the Choctaws recognized us as their people, the whites took the land the black side of the family worked and disassociated themselves from the black slave descendants.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 5th, 2010, 7:31 pm

The natives paid dearly and still pay... the 5 "civillized" tribes who owned slaves tried very hard to assimilate into white culture -taking black slaves was one of the ways of assimilating- and still got #%@& by their white allies. The Arabs are getting #%@& as well in the present age -for the evils they committed, black slavery being one of them. I feel karma hits every nation and group for their collective sins. Blacks are paying for their sins as well. Only whites seem to have #%@& everybody and got off scot free, but karma will pay them a visit as well
you saying i should be expecting something nasty in the future? aint many sins in my bloodlines, if anything my bloddline has been sinned on by others

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » May 5th, 2010, 7:34 pm

You might not go through anything but karma pays individuals and collectives alike a visit.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 5th, 2010, 7:43 pm

i hear you, i believe the karma thing even though im not religous.... I hope fate judges me accordingly and justly...

Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Motion » May 5th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Found something interesting on Black slave owners.

A small group of scholars has questioned the benevolent premises of Woodson's thesis. In 1942, Luther P. Jackson reiterated the Woodson thesis that free black masters were primarily benevolent. Yet he also asserted that after 1850, the institution became more commercial, with free blacks beginning to purchase more and more slaves as capital investments. According to Jackson, black entrepreneurs purchased slaves to work in their businesses as barbers, carpenters, and as farm laborers. Recognizing that slaves could be used to produce more wealth, these entrepreneurs used slaves as commercial assets and purchased them and sold them to make a profit.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... ntent;col1

Motion
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Motion » May 5th, 2010, 10:49 pm

perongregory wrote:The natives paid dearly and still pay... the 5 "civillized" tribes who owned slaves tried very hard to assimilate into white culture -taking black slaves was one of the ways of assimilating- and still got #%@& by their white allies. The Arabs are getting #%@& as well in the present age -for the evils they committed, black slavery being one of them. I feel karma hits every nation and group for their collective sins. Blacks are paying for their sins as well. Only whites seem to have #%@& everybody and got off scot free, but karma will pay them a visit as well.
I don't connect the misfortunes of Indians and Blacks today to any kind of karma. That stuff is too subjective. People's outcomes has more to do with the decisions they make and strategies they use etc.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » May 5th, 2010, 10:53 pm

Karma is my cosmical term for what you said, they actually wrote an equaton for negativity (karma).

Scooby318
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Kentucky
What city do you live in now?: Shreveport

Unread post by Scooby318 » November 28th, 2010, 10:27 am

A very insignificant number of Free Blacks owned slaves. The number of Blacks who could afford slaves were so small since they couldn't afford them - that comparing them to white slaveholders is ridiculous. You see that with a lot of pro-white pro-confederate thinkers who try to downplay the destruction nature of White society against blacks back then.

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Tennessee
What city do you live in now?: A City Where Im Low Key

Unread post by ViciousRidah » January 8th, 2011, 9:48 pm

They make it seem like the worst culprits are the Choctaw, man the most cruel Indians to uphold slavery on blacks are Cherokees, i believe the Cherokees even imposed slavery on kindred Native Indians as well.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » January 9th, 2011, 7:57 am

ViciousRidah wrote:They make it seem like the worst culprits are the Choctaw, man the most cruel Indians to uphold slavery on blacks are Cherokees, i believe the Cherokees even imposed slavery on kindred Native Indians as well.
Interesting Point. Can you provide me with the name of some literature you have on this subject? You all have striked my interest on this matter. I appreciate whatever you can provide.

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ViciousRidah » January 9th, 2011, 11:00 am

Quepolo3 wrote:
ViciousRidah wrote:They make it seem like the worst culprits are the Choctaw, man the most cruel Indians to uphold slavery on blacks are Cherokees, i believe the Cherokees even imposed slavery on kindred Native Indians as well.
Interesting Point. Can you provide me with the name of some literature you have on this subject? You all have striked my interest on this matter. I appreciate whatever you can provide.

Well I picked up on them in books and literature I've come across.Can't remember exactly right now.Here's a link to it, though. It says a little something about Cherokee owning Indian slaves.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.realproperty.net/cherokee.htm

Abraham Wood tried unsuccessfully to maintain his trade monopoly with the Cherokee and sent two men, James Needham and Gabriel Arthur to the Cherokee Overhill capital at Echota in 1673, but the following year a group of Cherokee met with rival Carolina traders along the upper Savannah River. A treaty with South Carolina followed in 1684 beginning a steady trade in deerskins and Indian slaves.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » January 10th, 2011, 12:26 pm

ViciousRidah wrote:
Quepolo3 wrote:

Well I picked up on them in books and literature I've come across.Can't remember exactly right now.Here's a link to it, though. It says a little something about Cherokee owning Indian slaves.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.realproperty.net/cherokee.htm

Abraham Wood tried unsuccessfully to maintain his trade monopoly with the Cherokee and sent two men, James Needham and Gabriel Arthur to the Cherokee Overhill capital at Echota in 1673, but the following year a group of Cherokee met with rival Carolina traders along the upper Savannah River. A treaty with South Carolina followed in 1684 beginning a steady trade in deerskins and Indian slaves.

Appreciate the info. bruh! Interesting topic.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ViciousRidah » January 10th, 2011, 2:09 pm

No problem!