Why do other Hispanics Dislike Mexicans?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Anonymous20

Why do other Hispanics Dislike Mexicans?

Unread post by Anonymous20 » September 26th, 2004, 5:15 pm

I wonder about this, because, i havwe friends of verious backgrounds, and my Cuban friend from Miami told me Cubans dislike Mexicans because, the, as he said,"Swing from white Nuts" A puerto rican friend told me dislikes Mexicans, because the hate therir own skin. What is the opinion of everybody else out there?

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Why do other Hispanics Dislike Mexicans?

Unread post by MICK » September 30th, 2004, 7:43 pm

Ive noticed the same thing. My girl is from Equador, and my best friend is from Peru. They dont like eachother. I asked her why. and she said "because hes from peru".

And Ricardo ,(my friend from Peru) hates mexicans for some reason.

Thats a good question. why?

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » September 30th, 2004, 8:49 pm

I've tried to figure that one out myself, but when i ask my hispanic friends it seems like they don't even know, but the mexicans seem to be univerally hated by the rest of them, even more so than the cubans

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 30th, 2004, 9:03 pm

Well let me give it a shot from my feel, being that I am Mexican.
I'll tackle one at a time because it's going to get long.
You can throw questions along the way.

The beef with Central Americans goes back to the Conquistadors of Mexico, when after Cortez was established as Viceroy of Nueva España (Mejico), then after the consolidation of power over the Aztec Empire, Cortez sent his generals on exploration and conquest of lands far and wide, one of these generals whom was sent to what is today El Salvador, turned on Cortez and decided to ursurp power for himself, then turned and defamed Cortez in the Royal Court, hence the feud began between these two crowds per say and continues to this day, only now with the name calling and false atribution of bad qualities from both, it has now grown out of proportion and most don't have a clue as to how it started - sounds familiar huh.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 30th, 2004, 9:22 pm

Continued...

Most other Nations of around the Caribean, have the mixture of Spaniard, French, English and Portuguese with Black. In the list are Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Belize, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras, Colombia, and Venezuela. These Nations share more so with each other than with Mexico, a common trait and culture per say. Mexico is predominantly mestizo Spaniard and Indian, wich has a very distinct dialect, as well as customs from the ones mentioned. Some people would say that this makes the Mexicans racists, but that is an oversimplyfication.
The fact is that the attitude between these countries and Mexico is one of different ways to go about doing things.
When for instance we think of a Puerto Rican, we think of someone whom is very scandalous in their speech.
When we think of a cuban, we think of a very lively but arrogant person.
When we think of a Nica (Nicaraguan), we think of someone more corrupt than us Mexicans.
When we think of Dominicans, we think of a very open sexual opportunistic, without the romance.
On and on, we have these prejudices, wich are noticed and returned in kind.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 30th, 2004, 9:35 pm

Continued...

Now the deal with others like Chile is different.
The Chileans are very political and very arrogant, or at least that is the perception that one gets in general when speaking with a person from Chile.
Every thing can only be perfect if its according to their philosophy on things, and this gets very annoying to say the least.

The Argentinians are the truest white man of the Hispanics, their country consist of only like 2% natives, the rest are Spaniards, Germans, and Italians for the most part, and along with this "pure race" comes the attitude that they are the civilized gift to the rest of us indians, hence the conflict.

The Brazilians "are loved" for their liveliness and gaity, but despissed for their lack of morality and having no candidness in their sexual relations, wich in Mexico many things are taboo and not considered decent.

The Peruans and Ecuadorians are looked upon as straight out of the hills (hillbillies per say) with a very narrow mindset yet forceful and brute.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 30th, 2004, 9:37 pm

These are some of the things that I can think of right now, I'm tired and running out of steam. I'll come by mañana and try to address or clarify any questions or issues. Al Rato Chilaquiles.

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 30th, 2004, 9:39 pm

I DONT KNOW WHY HISPANICS DISLIKE MEXIKANS. BUT I KNOW WHEN SOMEONE SAYS I GOT MEXIKAN IN ME, I KORRECT THEM with THE QUICK-NESS. NOT MEXIKAN, SPANISH. IVE ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT AND DONT KNOW WHY.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 30th, 2004, 9:44 pm

There is a difference between calling yourself a Mexican or being Spaniard.
Mexicans are the outlaws of the Hispanics, and I would not like it if you referred to me as a Spaniard.

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 30th, 2004, 9:49 pm

RIGHT SO WHAT EXAKTLY IS YOUR NATIONALITY? MY GRANDMOTHER WAS STRAIGHT FROM SPAIN. THATS WHY I SAY IM NOT MEXIKAN IM SPANISH

$outh$ide
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by $outh$ide » October 1st, 2004, 4:25 am

im Puerto Rican (1/2) n 1 of me closet homies iz Mexican n we get on fine

$outh$ide
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by $outh$ide » October 1st, 2004, 4:34 am

me Mexican homie^ n me Bolivian homie get on fine as well. sumtimes
me n the Bolivian give he shyt coz he mexican (coz dey iz meant 2 b lazy n dirty witch he iz) (yez i no mexicans aint really like that americanz just say dey r)

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » October 1st, 2004, 1:49 pm

I DONT HATE MEXIKANS, BUT IVE ALWAYS KORREKTED SOMEONE.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » October 2nd, 2004, 1:28 pm

Caribean Hispanics generally look down on Mestizo/Indian Latinos. White Cubans in particular. Carib. Hispanics are proud of their drop of Taino/Arawak blood but they seem to find real live Indian people a little backwards and alien.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » October 2nd, 2004, 1:32 pm

Caribean Hispanics generally look down on Mestizo/Indian Latinos. White Cubans in particular. Carib. Hispanics are proud of their drop of Taino/Arawak blood but they seem to find real live Indian people a little backwards and alien.

mangler
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mangler » October 2nd, 2004, 2:28 pm

lonewolf wrote:

The Brazilians "are loved" for their liveliness and gaity, but despissed for their lack of morality and having no candidness in their sexual relations, wich in Mexico many things are taboo and not considered decent.

When we think of Dominicans, we think of a very open sexual opportunistic, without the romance.

On and on, we have these prejudices, wich are noticed and returned in kind.
you notice the hispanics that have black/African in them are sterotype as
permiscuis....

Thats an age old sterotype that Europeans made up of Africans...

Not all Carribeans are considered hispanics, right?

I always wonder why the Central American County Belize falls under the Caribean title also.....

Its the Language that defines u as Hispanic, right?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 2nd, 2004, 4:42 pm

The mix with Spanish blood, culture, and languague is predominantly what defines us as Hispanics.

Some people would refar to Hispanics as Latino, and to a degree this is correct yet misleading as to being Hispanic.
The Haitians can be considered a Latin mix, because of the French colonialist whom ruled Haiti and implanted their language and culture trends to the enslaved Black people. This also applies to other Caribean Island Nations whom are not Spanish speakers, however the word/name Hispanic denotes only those that have ties to Hispaniola, which is day Spain and Portugal, hence the difference between Latino & Hispanic.

Belize is in Central America, it was part of the British Empire and was colonized as such but with a large influx of people from outside of C.A. For the longest both Mexico & Guatemala claimed Belize (British Honduras) as part of their National territory. The United Kingdon (modern day Britain or England) stationed Harrier jump jets and troops to prevent Mexico or Guatemala from getting any ideas.
So understanding the fact that the people of Belize have more ties to other former British colonies or territories in the Caribean than to C.A. Then you can easily understand why some would bunch them in the Caribean list and not the Hispanic list.

In the Caribean you have countries like Jamaica, Haiti, as well as other islands which are French, British or Dutch protectorates or former territories like Aruba, Martinique, Barbados & Guadeloupe.

As to the stereotyping of Black/African as permiscuis,
I can only speak of what my side sees it to be, and I can attest that there is a perception "from what we hear and see" that leads my people to beleive that they are more liberal and carefree about sexual relations than us Mexicans. But being that I can only put in my side of the coin, I'll leave it for someone else to put in the argument against this stereotype.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » October 2nd, 2004, 7:19 pm

its funny somebody put up this topic coz now that i remember, my ex (colombian) always used to call mexicans corroncho jokin around imitating that mexican accent. of course its nothing serious, she always passed it as jokin around n i didnt understand why specifically mexicans. i also remember she was also often was jokin around sayin things on venezuelans also, like another 'people' to tease around with. im guessing every places' got their specific 'people' to say things on in the end? haha

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 2nd, 2004, 7:45 pm

Even within the same country you'll find differences and prejudices.

There is a movie that I once saw, in which these two young brother and sister from Guatemala make the journey north to the promised land, and while they pass thru Mejico, they are seriously taken advantage of because of their naive inocent ways compared to the brusque and ruff Mexican ways. Then when they reach the border with the U.S. and are getting ready to cross through the hills, the coyote tells them that if they get caught by la migra, not to admit that they are Central Americans otherwise they'll get deported all the way back. So they ask the coyote what if la migra doesn't beleive that they are Mex - the cotoye replies to them - just start cuzzing as hell and they'll beleive you - it worked.
Like I said in a prior post, is not only the Anglos and Blacks that have a problem with us Mejicanos, it is also other Hispanics - we are the outlaws of the Americas, unique and in many ways different from the rest.

What other Hispanic country can you compare to Mexico ?

You can compare Puerto Rico with Republica Dominicana and Cuba,
You can compare Honduras with Guatemala,
You can compare Colombia with Venezuela,
You can compare Argentina with Chile,
You can compare Peru with Ecuador & Bolivia,

But which can you compare with Mexico ?

This may be the reason why the feeling by many "that we are the racist", but the truth is that we feel that we have a uniqueness and would like to preserve it, not wishing to take away from anybody elses uniqueness, just that we like ours and are zealous about it.
How else would you explain the stiff resistance to assimiliation as a whole to the American type wich society here beleives an American should be like.
It is not because we don't want to be America, far from it - we beleive that we are American and we don't need to shed away our culture to be American.

mangler
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mangler » October 2nd, 2004, 8:13 pm

lonewolf wrote:
But which can you compare with Mexico ?

This may be the reason why the feeling by many "that we are the racist", but the truth is that we feel that we have a uniqueness and would like to preserve it, not wishing to take away from anybody elses uniqueness, just that we like ours and are zealous about it.
How else would you explain the stiff resistance to assimiliation as a whole to the American type wich society here beleives an American should be like.
It is not because we don't want to be America, far from it - we beleive that we are American and we don't need to shed away our culture to be American.
every imigrant group thinks that why when your in a foreign land around a foreign cultiure.

thats human instinct...human nature

Jews are the best at it.

once apon a time mexicans did assimilate into America..

to this day ill still come across mexicans that dont speak spanish..

itsjust a constant influx that stops total assimilation.

all imigants from the first wave assimilated. Italians, Irish, etc.....

its just Latin American is at the backdoor, so its constant..

but arent CHICANOS assimilated in the eyes of Mexicans in Mexico..

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 2nd, 2004, 9:38 pm

Chicanos assimiliated in the eyes of Mexicans ?

You could make that argument, I would be one to take issue with the fact that there is conflict between new arrivals not as yet in tune with how it is here, as with other generations of Mexicans. And just like with any group of immigrants, there will always be those that do take off their old clothes and throw on some new rags. We have them in our family too. We have a saying for those "no se miran el nopal en la frente" - "they don't see the cactus stamped on their forehead".
The fact remains though, that the majority, even those from old generations, and even those that don't speak fluent spanish, like my younger brother has difficulty with, "still" maintain some if not all the customs and traits, as well as to the language in the spanglish and calo form.
Just like Blacks have kept their unique ways in speech, mannerism, creativity, and so many other things, they still are Americans correct, they would never even think of becoming "whites", it is alien to the Blacks because they are comfortable and happy with their uniqueness, exept for those few like michael and that uncle tom type, whom are quickly dismissed by the main body.

There is a blend no doubt, of Anglo society mixed in with Mexican society which comes out as Chicano, "this however is not becoming white cultured", just like Blacks are not white cultured.
Mexicans and Chicanos have differences, but they are minor compared to the differences with the whites and anyone else, and for the most part they are not a divissive issue, from this mix of the same people from both sides of the border I beleive is the newest uniqueness of the Mexicans.

ChAoS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ChAoS » November 24th, 2004, 11:08 pm

shiittt....mexicanz prolly don't like pretty ricans either.....

PAPI CHULO
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PAPI CHULO » November 25th, 2004, 12:33 am

naw ha lolz mexicans hate ricans i know this

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » November 25th, 2004, 5:39 pm

I know one Nicaraguan / Rican cat out here from Queens who went out to South East LA to live with family when he was a lot younger. Let's just say he didn't have a easy time and still holds a grudge because they f'd with him so much in the predominantly Chicano neighborhood.

Anyways, out here in NYC, the Mexican population is nowhere close to how it is in Cali. Most of them might be considered Chunts. The only reason they don't get love is because they aren't established / don't know the language / have not assimilated to urban culture besides wearing FUBU. This is by no means disrespect, but the kids I became cool with in NY who were Dominican or Mixed would openly clown on Mexicans. Others who speak different strains of Spanish think that Spanish spoken by Mexicans sounds feminine, they'll clown the words they use like "ay, guey" and make it sound homo to clown.

They are the hard workers who keep their nose to the grind out here, not the outlaws.

SD4life
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SD4life » November 26th, 2004, 4:59 pm

My grandma moved to the US straight from Nicaragua and she dosn't like Mexicans. She now lives in a predominant Mexican area too, and she still hasnt really adapted to it.

ROLLIN' el Heavy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ROLLIN' el Heavy » December 1st, 2004, 5:11 am

anurwarizra wrote:I wonder about this, because, i havwe friends of verious backgrounds, and my Cuban friend from Miami told me Cubans dislike Mexicans because, the, as he said,"Swing from white Nuts" A puerto rican friend told me dislikes Mexicans, because the hate therir own skin. What is the opinion of everybody else out there?
Ignorance.

People think they're better but are too stupid to realize that they're just ignorant.

Mexico has the strongest economy and greatest influence of any country in Latin America. It isn't perfect but apparently it's doing something right--therefore, you have jealousy. Mexico is the only Latin country located in North America. Nealy half of the USA was once part of Mexico. Mexico has close economic ties to the USA. Your cuban friend is simply envious because her counrty is ruled by a communist, full of despair, hopelessness, and she feels powerless. The best advice I can give is to have her attend assertiveness training and take a stand. IMO.

ROLLIN' el Heavy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by ROLLIN' el Heavy » December 1st, 2004, 5:22 am

Capo wrote:its funny somebody put up this topic coz now that i remember, my ex (colombian) always used to call mexicans corroncho jokin around imitating that mexican accent. of course its nothing serious, she always passed it as jokin around n i didnt understand why specifically mexicans. i also remember she was also often was jokin around sayin things on venezuelans also, like another 'people' to tease around with. im guessing every places' got their specific 'people' to say things on in the end? haha
...was she strung out at the time?

B.M.W-Soldier
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by B.M.W-Soldier » December 1st, 2004, 8:48 am

This is a touchy subject but being that I am not mexican or even hispanic but do have mexican and hispanic relatives I would say it's the stereotypical undertones that people use to divide people.I never had problems with other races or people from other backrounds/nations because I have a fairly mixed family and a extremely big family at that so I was always around famliy members from differnt walks of life and differnt countries.If you really look at it as lonewolf said all it really is the prejudices that have grown between our people over the years whether it be passed down from generation to generation or randomly picked up for what ever reasons.Simple rule that made Napolean Bonaparte a great conquerer "divide and rule" it's that simple if all of us as people were together we would never face these problems but that day hasn't some yet

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » December 1st, 2004, 10:02 am

Considering that there is about 100 Million Mexicans in Mexico, with a very large country and a wide variety of dialects, customs, race composition, and attitudes to say the least, put it together with another estimated 30 to 50 Million Mexican ancestry Hispanics here in the U.S.A. many whom have generations and many whom are fresh out of the pond, you come to the conclusion that not only is there a whole lotta Mescans, but also that they come in a wide range of backgrounds. The numbers factor will always play a role on how some will dominate the scene and become hated by the minority, in other scenes they will constitute the minority to prey on, either way you still have to deal with the predominant Mexican attitude and beleif that we are in our country and don't need to assimiliate entirely to a non-culture of ours. While others come and shed away as much of their origin culture and assimialte into the local scene and become "AMERICAN" we already feel strong enough in our culture & our stance here as well as back there, and tend to disassociate ourselves from other Hispanics to large degree.
There is a sense of WE CAN TRANSIT BACK AND FORTH because we have our two countries IN A TRUE BONDAGE WITH EACH OTHER, while other Latin America Nations can not ever claim the same, THEREFORE the view of Mexicans from other Hispanics is one of which they look upon us as similiar in culture and arrogant attitute like the GABACHOS aka: GRINGOS, but what can you expect when a hell of a lot of our history has been in direct contact with the U.S. including colonization of the SouthWest

mamlook
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mamlook » December 1st, 2004, 10:06 am

Ahh phawk all that BS...All latinos get love down in Miami...Come here. Strong & united.

I know plenty of prican friends gettin hated in chicano areas of cali, phoenix and albaqurque(sp?) ... and ricans hating on chicanos in NY and Jerzey...It wont stop until ya azz touches down in the bottom.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » December 1st, 2004, 10:16 am

What I say, ONLY MY PERSPECTIVE, feel free to love or hate, THIS IS AFTER ALL "AMERICA".

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » December 7th, 2004, 3:10 pm

AS FAR AS CUBA BEING RULED BY A COMMUNITS THEY NEEDED IT AND ALL THE WHITE CUBANS HATE IT CAUSE THEIR RACIST PRESIDENT WAS NO LONGER IN POWER TO GIVE THEM DAMN WHATS THE WORD BETTER OPPURTUNITES OR SUPERIORNESS OR BLACK AND MULLATO BLACK CUBANOS CASTRO SYSTEM BEFORE I DID NOT LIKE IT AND DID NOT UNDERSTAND IT. BUT EVERY ONE IS ON THE SAME LEVEL WETHER YOU ARE A DOCTOR OR A ATHLETE OR STREET VENDOR.

I FORGOT THE PRESIDENT THAT WAS IN POWERE BEFORE CASTROS REIGN.
DURING THAT TIME CUBA WAS SEGREGATED JUST LIKE THE UNITED STATES AND GUESS WHAT CUBA AND THE UNTED STATES WERE ALLIES! SO WHEN I HEAR CUBANS COMPLAIN ABOUT CASTRO ITS ALL OUT OF HATE THAT HE GAVE AFRO CUBANS THE SAME OPPURTUNITES WHITE CUBANS HAD THEY ALL LIVE SIDE BY SIDE SURE THERE IS STILL RACISM CASTRO ALSO HELP SOUTH AFRICANS WITH THE APARTHEID TO ENSURE THEIR FREEDOM.