What Asians go through

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

What Asians go through

Unread post by George » December 18th, 2004, 8:16 pm

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~tiffloui/love.htm as retrieved on 23 Nov 2004 10:48:58 GMT.
G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
****FOR BEST RESULTS, MAXIMIZE YOUR BROWSER'S WINDOW****

Answer:
They've all been VICTIMS of

What is RACIST LOVE??

Often times, in today’s society, Asian Americans are deceived into believing that their presence is fully embraced by American culture. Through praise and reinforcement of the “model minority” myth, Asian Americans have come to rely on a false sense of acceptance. Most Asian Americans are unaware of society’s subtle racism and discrimination, which can be referred to as “racist love.” This type of racism is often overlooked since it is mistaken for good intentions and American approval (as opposed to the “racial violence” that society is used to seeing).

Racist love can be characterized and disguised as:
- Exoticism and Orientalism
- unaware perpetrators, and unaware
victims
- the idea that Asian Americans benefit
from the pre-established notions
- a supposed path towards success
- an assumed advantage over other races
socially and economically
- stereotypes
- the notion of Asian Americans as
“model minority” citizens

Our Objectives in Presenting this Web Site:

In presenting this webpage, we hope to bring about awareness to both Asian and non-Asian Americans. Often times assumptions about the Asian American race are made and received subconsciously. However the effects of these assumptions are often over-looked, yet for Asian Americans, have negative results. What we’ve found in talking to many Asian Americans is that they’ve come to embrace their status in American culture, and have been conditioned to accept their placement in society. Because of the long history of this subtle racism, Asian Americans are deceived into taking their status of being the “model minority” for face value. Asian Americans have come to accept their stereotypes, which are so deeply imbedded in their minds that they refuse to challenge what they believe as their property. Thus they have conformed to what society has depicted them as with feelings of inability and apathy towards changing them.
Throughout this webpage we present many controversial ideas that you may not agree with. However, while viewing our page, we ask you to keep an open mind and think about the concepts that we present. Our goal is not to attack white Americans, but to expose the underlying racism and discrimination that is often unseen, unheard, and unacknowledged.

In opening our eyes to the subtle racism of society, we must examine:
I. Stereotypes
II. The "Model Minority" Myth
III. Exoticism and Orientalism

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: What Asians go through

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » December 18th, 2004, 8:24 pm

lemme guess george, ur asian

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » December 18th, 2004, 10:18 pm

Actually that was not me, that was my friend coming on here, he's Asian. And i'm half Asian/Black. Some call it Blasian. My dad is of CHinese Jamaican, My mom is of Black Jamaican.

What are you? You mixed too?

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » December 18th, 2004, 10:42 pm

im spanish and irish

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » December 19th, 2004, 1:41 am

Cool. Uh, can people guess your mix or.... can they even tell???

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » December 19th, 2004, 7:55 am

naw i look like ur average white dude

asia818str8str8
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by asia818str8str8 » January 11th, 2005, 9:37 pm

i feel this shit because i am one. very intersting thx for posting this link.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 11th, 2005, 10:51 pm

most asians are either rich or wanan be rich and stay in school, and have higher iqs and do better in school generally than any other race. Even the asian gangs are made up of middle class boys.

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » January 12th, 2005, 2:46 am

Invincible wrote:most asians are either rich or wanan be rich and stay in school, and have higher iqs and do better in school generally than any other race. Even the asian gangs are made up of middle class boys.

that is a very stereotypical statement...

jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jboogie » January 12th, 2005, 3:22 am

^ thats true, when people say Asians they are lumping several different groups and cultures together when in fact different asian groups go through different experiences. I know a lot of Cambodians who come from disadvantaged backgrounds, and have Vietnamese friends who aren't rich. Filipinos have to contest with whether they are Asian or Pacific Islander, a lot of them are middle class but I have many Filipino frinds in L.A.and Carson that have to struggle too.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » January 12th, 2005, 4:46 am

does it make u harder the poorer u are?
does it make u more of a pussy cuz u are smart?

ich dont think so...

Asians are cool

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 12th, 2005, 4:47 am

Ive seen some show in my sociology class where asian parents would hire tutors and spend hundreds of dollars so theyre kids would get perfect sat scores.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » January 12th, 2005, 8:12 am

I've met some White students who's parents would put them in private schools away from "bad" influences from the public schools.

Plus these same parents also hire top notch tutors to teach there kids in Math/Science, English, Computers.

Invincible what is your point?

Do you think Asians are the only ones who have $???
What do you think of Black people???

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » January 12th, 2005, 8:18 am

oh by the way Invincible, you really met "Most" Asian people in the United States??? When? Where?

That must be a lot of people.... over into the millions??? How'd you meet them? A big potluck somewhere in California???

Can you give me the names/phone #'s/Addresses of "most" of these Donald Trump- Rockafella-Bill Gates type Asians in America????????

That would be so cool if you could actually prove your facts, instead of making silly generalizations and claims. YOu know. Saying "most" is a huge claim.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 12th, 2005, 1:42 pm

George I used to live on edge of Pomona/Claremont in like the cheapest apartments in CLaremont (kind of run down) and went to the high school there. One time in my computer class a guy came in giving some student awards or something to six students, all of them were asians and all of them knew each other.

kiwibro
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kiwibro » January 12th, 2005, 2:36 pm

Invincible wrote:George I used to live on edge of Pomona/Claremont in like the cheapest apartments in CLaremont (kind of run down) and went to the high school there. One time in my computer class a guy came in giving some student awards or something to six students, all of them were asians and all of them knew each other.

but what country in area do there parents come from because someone wrote before it's alot different for asians from Cambodia to asians from Japan.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » January 12th, 2005, 3:06 pm

I would suggest that is because there is a strong emphasis on education and performance in many Asian families. As for them knowing each other, most people tend to gravitate toward grouping together by race. You often see Whites hanging with Whites for example.

holyshit
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by holyshit » January 12th, 2005, 8:32 pm

Seriously dude, I'm not Asian, so I can't tell you anything about being Asian, but I found this to be wildly funny:

"unaware perpetrators, and unaware
victims"

So the racists don't know they are being racists and the victims don't know they are victims?

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 12th, 2005, 8:33 pm

Basically they are tuning that Asian Americans can be gangster rappers, crack dealers or Red Necks too.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 12th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Here is a comment from an asian guy about that site:

How can common chickens understand the long flight of the cranes?

I liken that website to your rusty students of books, whose journeyings are comprised between their brush and their inkstone, who spend their days in literary futilities, wasting both time and ink.

The authors fret over irrelevant things, if they wish for the Model Minority Myth to be disproved, then they should be glad to hear that Asian gangs are prominent and the subsequent Asian Males' stab at changing minds about an Asian Mans masculity are seeing people dead in the streets, and in the forests around St. Paul or have they forgotten Chai Vang already?

As mistaken as that rustic model minority theory is, it is hardly put forward as how a minority should act, but rather as how people should act. It is a myth though, because the word Asian hardly encompasses the wide variety of people it attempts to classify.

Ultimately, this is nothing more than a weak attempt by race hustlers to explain away the defficiency of their kind while trying to insite the same type of ruinous bitter hatred that they cherish in their heart of hearts.

They should mind their tongues, less they receive what they so aptly desire, and end to Asians being the silent minority. Just who's side, do they believe we will take? Do they believe that as a group we will join in the chorus of stupidity coming from certain minority rights groups? Do they believe that in this will to power struggles between minoritities and whites that we will simply join theirs by virtue of us being a minority? That doesn't even take into account the prejudices asians hold against one another, prejudices that are as vicious as anything that can be concucted by another race. I think they would not want me to be silent, for I would ask,

"Why are Asian Americans losing their spots in College Campuses so that less prepared Black/Latino can get in?"

Asians are indeed a silent minority, we don't vote, we don't protests, or remonstrate against perceived wrongs or even when wrongs are actually perpetrated against us. We suffer, because people put us on a pedestal, yet we also suffer because of bitter, ignorant, fools like the author of that website.

That website is useless, because it wastes its' time on things that are irrelevant, like "White guys think Asian girls are exotic," what merit does that excedingly useless thougth claim to, that it could be considered as a topic fit for debate?

chickens cannot understand the long flight of cranes....

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » January 14th, 2005, 10:06 am

Of course some Asians vote, of course there are Asians who speak up through forum theatre plays/activist events/workshops. Of course they do, its just Asians are often perceived as always silent and meek. That is not always true.

Another thing, Blacks don't all "just get into College for free". There are us who actually work/study hard for years with high grades and "earn" our way into College.

Not every Black person gets scholarships.

myDick in your mouth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by myDick in your mouth » January 15th, 2005, 2:21 am

this is a stupid topic...... it has no point. asian people as a whole, average/percentage wise are more hard workers and deeper thinkers compared to say blacks and latinos in america. so obviously more of them are gonna be better off than the other minority races here.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 15th, 2005, 4:10 am

you forgot to add Hawaiians and whites to that list.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » January 15th, 2005, 4:01 pm

Harder workers than latinos? That's a joke. Go to any Asian restaurant. The cashiers and owners are Asian, everybody doing the hard work are Latino.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » January 15th, 2005, 6:34 pm

You're missing the point fellas. There is a heavy stereotype surrounding Asian males in US. They are either seen as impotent older males, studious young geeks, or crazy young gangsters.

But really they are just people like everyone else. All the same issues and all the same challenges.

If you are going to stereotype then at least get it right. Most Asian men I have met should be applauded for selflessly working hard in difficult circumstances; doing whatever it takes to legitimately provide for their families. And I'm not talking about curbing or chasing bling bling either. Sure there's that 1%, but it is a much smaller percentage comparatively in my experience.

If we had more MEN in this country holding it down legitmately instead of going in and out of prison, being gangster, and chasing bling.. you know making wise decisions in which women they take on (so they don't have to live in a hell on earth) then doing what is necessary to legitimately provide for their women and offspring consistently like that we would all be a lot better off as a nation. I think we can take a lesson from them. Peace.

myDick in your mouth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by myDick in your mouth » January 16th, 2005, 11:48 am

Silencioso wrote:Harder workers than latinos? That's a joke. Go to any Asian restaurant. The cashiers and owners are Asian, everybody doing the hard work are Latino.

haha.. ur a f*ckin joke.

but my statement maybe have been a lil misunderstood let me rephrase it. percentage/average wise, asians are willing to do more to move up in society than blacks and latinos. sorry but its simply the truth

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 16th, 2005, 1:09 pm

Kemosave wrote:You're missing the point fellas. There is a heavy stereotype surrounding Asian males in US. They are either seen as impotent older males, studious young geeks, or crazy young gangsters.

But really they are just people like everyone else. All the same issues and all the same challenges.

If you are going to stereotype then at least get it right. Most Asian men I have met should be applauded for selflessly working hard in difficult circumstances; doing whatever it takes to legitimately provide for their families. And I'm not talking about curbing or chasing bling bling either. Sure there's that 1%, but it is a much smaller percentage comparatively in my experience.

If we had more MEN in this country holding it down legitmately instead of going in and out of prison, being gangster, and chasing bling.. you know making wise decisions in which women they take on (so they don't have to live in a hell on earth) then doing what is necessary to legitimately provide for their women and offspring consistently like that we would all be a lot better off as a nation. I think we can take a lesson from them. Peace.

there are peopl;e in all races that chase bling.

L Grindin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Hawthorne

Unread post by L Grindin » January 16th, 2005, 5:40 pm

makaveli389 wrote:
Silencioso wrote:Harder workers than latinos? That's a joke. Go to any Asian restaurant. The cashiers and owners are Asian, everybody doing the hard work are Latino.

haha.. ur a f*ckin joke.

but my statement maybe have been a lil misunderstood let me rephrase it. percentage/average wise, asians are willing to do more to move up in society than blacks and latinos. sorry but its simply the truth

What statistics are you basing this on?

myDick in your mouth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by myDick in your mouth » January 16th, 2005, 5:46 pm

Just be real with yourself dog. i aint tryna put down any race but im just callin it as it is. asians as a whole are more higher class than any other minority race as a whole, face it.

L Grindin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Hawthorne

Unread post by L Grindin » January 16th, 2005, 5:55 pm

makaveli389 wrote:Just be real with yourself dog. i aint tryna put down any race but im just callin it as it is. asians as a whole are more higher class than any other minority race as a whole, face it.

If that's how you feel, then you're free to feel that way. But what you are saying is a stereotype based on your own personal opinion, not fact.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » January 18th, 2005, 11:39 am

Hey Makaveli, let me ask you

Who put up these statistics and facts???? And who believes Asians are "a Minoritie"??? Do Asians feel minor compared to Whites???

And..... have these people who write such ridiculous "facts/statistics" met the "Most" of Asians to even make such claims???

Did they sit down in each and every Asian persons household, go through their bank accounts, see their expenses (wants verses needs)???

Did these White people who write "statistics" figure out how a Vietnamese man or a Filipina earns their money????

it just doesn't make any sense to me. these same people who state these "facts" are the same people who encourage the other generalizations like= White men treat their women right, White men are couragous, White men are sexy/handsome, etc blah blah blah, etc.

*Ever notice how you see White men freely dating/humping every colored women you can think of??? Black women, Asian Women, Brown Women, Hispanic women i always see day to day with White men but......

How often do you see a Korean guy with a Black woman or, an East Indian man with a Asian woman?

Guess these idiots who write "statistics" are the same ones who tell White Hollywood that every Oriental guy is bad in bed/abusive/ NOT COMPATIBLE- Every Middle Eastern man is sexist, murderous, and Abusive NOT COMPATIBLE.

Fuck statistics.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » January 18th, 2005, 3:00 pm

ASians aren't "colored"! They're the crackers of the Far East, especially Japanese.

Makaveli, you're a bitch.

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”