What Asians go through

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: What Asians go through

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » January 18th, 2005, 3:12 pm

LOL...

Ya'll are doing too much on here...haha!

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » January 18th, 2005, 3:16 pm

Silencioso, it is a documented fact that Japanese were the gardeners and laborers before it was the norm for Mexicans to do this type of labor in So Cal. Ask any elderly white person who was doing their lawn work before a Mexican and they’ll probably account for that. I don’t think crackers saw Japanese as crackers when they put them in internment camps, either. Your view is definitely ‘slanted’ because you live in the Sawtelle area. When the 405 was built through that neighborhood, many Japanese Americans’ homes were destroyed and they were displaced in order to build the freeway through there. Not saying your comment about Japanese being the ‘crackers of the Far East’ is all the way wrong, I know what you are trying to say, but you’re still obviously biased.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » January 19th, 2005, 3:32 pm

I don't know....... Cambodians are pretty dark skinned, Flips i meet often are dark, Vietnamese i've come across are darker than a White person, Same with some Thai's i met.

Indonesians are darker than Whites, Malaysian Orientals are pretty tanned and darker than Whites.

What the hell are you talking about dude?

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » January 19th, 2005, 3:48 pm

I'm talking about NE ASians, the so-called "yellow" race. Flips and Indonesians are Malayo-Polynesians (brown race). Cambodians are Mongoloid but not yellow.

Yellow race - Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Mongolians, Siberians, other similar people.

This race is analogous to the "white" race of Europe/W. Asia. Both groups are relaitively light skinned, adapted to the cold, aggresive with outsiders, culturaly advanced etc.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 19th, 2005, 3:54 pm

Cold Bear wrote:Silencioso, it is a documented fact that Japanese were the gardeners and laborers before it was the norm for Mexicans to do this type of labor in So Cal. Ask any elderly white person who was doing their lawn work before a Mexican and they’ll probably account for that. I don’t think crackers saw Japanese as crackers when they put them in internment camps, either. Your view is definitely ‘slanted’ because you live in the Sawtelle area. When the 405 was built through that neighborhood, many Japanese Americans’ homes were destroyed and they were displaced in order to build the freeway through there. Not saying your comment about Japanese being the ‘crackers of the Far East’ is all the way wrong, I know what you are trying to say, but you’re still obviously biased.

YEP I SEEN A DOC.... A BOUT JAPS IN CALIFORNIA WERE THROWN ONTO THE STREET DURING THE WAR IN 39 OR 41 I THINK.

BUT I ALSO AGREE THEY ARE NOT COLORED PEOPLE AND SHOULD NOT BE! JUST CAUSE THEY ARE CLASSIFIED AS YELLOW WHO GAVE EM THAT LABEL ANYWAY? GRRRR

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » January 19th, 2005, 4:18 pm

In my opinion a lot of chicanos who look closer to their Spanish roots look more European than 'Yellow' Asians. More European = More 'White'

littlecat

Unread post by littlecat » January 28th, 2005, 1:07 pm

You can find statistic from census 2000. http://www.census.gov. There are some indicators of household income, family income, household type, household size, poverty level and so on. However, these indicators can only explain the economic position of race groups instead of political position.

littlecat

Unread post by littlecat » January 28th, 2005, 2:04 pm

Per capita income in 1999

United States California
White 23,918 27,707
Black 14,437 17,447
Hispanic 12,111 11,674
Asian 21,823 22,050

US 2000 census bureau

littlecat

Unread post by littlecat » January 28th, 2005, 2:31 pm

littlecat wrote:You can find statistic from census 2000. http://www.census.gov. There are some indicators of household income, family income, household type, household size, poverty level and so on. However, these indicators can only explain the economic position of race groups instead of political position.

Income in 1999 below poverty level:

United States California
White alone 9.14% 10.46%
Black alone 24.90% 22.41%
Hispanic alone 22.63% 22.13%
Asian alone 12.60% 12.83%

littlecat

Unread post by littlecat » January 28th, 2005, 3:00 pm

littlecat wrote:You can find statistic from census 2000. http://www.census.gov. There are some indicators of household income, family income, household type, household size, poverty level and so on. However, these indicators can only explain the economic position of race groups instead of political position.

Education Comparison of White alone, black alone, Hispanic alone and Asian alone in United States:

White Black Hispanic Asian
Less than 9th grade 5.90% 7.93% 27.78% 10.68%
9th to 12th grade, no diploma 10.52% 19.80% 19.80% 8.89%
High school graduate 29.50% 29.76% 22.11% 15.83%
Some college, no degree 21.50% 22.48% 15.59% 13.97%
Associate degree 6.51% 5.77% 4.28% 6.57%
Bachelor's degree 16.59% 10.98% 6.66% 26.68%
Graduate or professional degree 9.47% 4.80% 3.79% 17.38%

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » January 28th, 2005, 4:50 pm

After affirmative action was lifted at the UC systems in 1997. here are the results.

Black enrollment went down
Native American enrollment went down
Hispanic enrollment went down
Asian enrollment stayed the same except for one year.

Only whites went up.

We've been duped everyone. Lifting affirmative action was a trick by whites. Asian leaders were pro Affirmative Action from the very beginning. Remember that.

project blowed
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by project blowed » January 29th, 2005, 11:03 pm

Invincible wrote:most asians are either rich or wanan be rich and stay in school, and have higher iqs and do better in school generally than any other race. Even the asian gangs are made up of middle class boys.

have you seen an average tiny rascal gang member or westside islander from long beach? far from what you might expect of your "typical" gang member.

it's more geographical for asians then ethnicity. if you go to places such as torrance, glendale, then your stereotypes make sense on the outside.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 29th, 2005, 11:35 pm

StreetKarma wrote:After affirmative action was lifted at the UC systems in 1997. here are the results.

Black enrollment went down
Native American enrollment went down
Hispanic enrollment went down
Asian enrollment stayed the same except for one year.

Only whites went up.

We've been duped everyone. Lifting affirmative action was a trick by whites. Asian leaders were pro Affirmative Action from the very beginning. Remember that.

you can take AA and go die with it. People should be rewarded for their own merit not some law allowing them to do so. AA is racist against anything not a minority go figure that one.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 29th, 2005, 11:36 pm

project blowed wrote:
Invincible wrote:most asians are either rich or wanan be rich and stay in school, and have higher iqs and do better in school generally than any other race. Even the asian gangs are made up of middle class boys.

have you seen an average tiny rascal gang member or westside islander from long beach? far from what you might expect of your "typical" gang member.

it's more geographical for asians then ethnicity. if you go to places such as torrance, glendale, then your stereotypes make sense on the outside.

most asian gangs are rich or middle class asian kids. Asian gangs actually make up the demographic of the richest gangs.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 30th, 2005, 1:33 pm

.... you proved why AA should hve been eliminated.

If the minority enrollments went down and Whitey's went up then if AA was enacted we can assume that the minorities enrollment will go back up and whitey's will go back down.

Doesn't that sound like AA was just propping up the minorities and holding whitey down?

Why is it ok to hold whity down but not the minoritys?

Let the best person for the position get it. Not let the best minority person get it.

I've seen countless situations where minorities got jobs or scholarships even though they weren't nearly as smart or nearly as hard working as the whites or asians who were turned down. Any "under repsresented" minority with talent knows that they do not have to work anywhere near as hard as a white to get a high paying job.

The biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action are middle and upper middle class blacks who don't even need affirmative action. The people that get left out are the lower class whites. It sucks when an upper middle class black kid with marginal test scores gets a scholarship because of affirmative action when a poor white with an equally low SAT score and similar grades does not get the scholarship.

It happens an enormous number of times in college admissions. Its the dirty secret of affirmative action.

holyshit
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by holyshit » February 2nd, 2005, 2:22 am

It is my opinion that the best candidates should get in to schools. My opinion is based on a belief in individualism and meritocracy. Many people believe that a college should try to do what is best for society as a whole. Colleges believe they are helping society when the use affirmative action. I happen to believe that society is best served when you let in the most qualified, not the most minimally qualifed people. Once people know that this is the deal, they will change the way they learn.

You need to know a whole lot of things before you ever get to college. If you even remotely believe you will get an extra boost, you won't work as hard and learn as much as you should have.

BTW, I am 100% against giving legacy preferences to schools. I think the Federal government should only give aid to colleges that do away with legacy prefernces.

Now please read what I am saying here because I don't really believe I am racist.

I do not believe that any race is even remotely inferior genetically to any other. There is no real evidence of this.

I've heard people gripe about how certain parts of black and hispanic cultures don't sufficiently prize education. I think this is partially true for a couple of reasons. One is that the parents who are undereducated don't really know the difference between a great and a good or a good and a bad education. Also, many lower class cultures have been lower class for so long that they have developed fatalistic attitudes about life. IMPORTANTLY: We see these exact same attitudes in poor white areas.

I often think that many minorities see their poor relatives and contrast them to all white people who they see as rich or easily middle class. If you go to the poor towns in and around Appalachia you we will see EXACTLY the same social problems among WHITE people that you see in the inner city black communites. You'll see: 16 year old girls with babies. Adults who can't speak even rudimentary English properly. High school students who can't find their own state on a map.

The difference is that the black kid with all these disadvantages gets an extra boost from society. The white kid gets stomped on.

Look specifically at the colleges. They have a fixed number of slots. If they allow 20 people in because of race, then 20 people did not get in because of their race. That is discrimination based on skin color plain and simple.

It is not racist to oppose this. It is intellectually dishonest to claim this is not discrimination. Affirmative Action is only talked about now in euphemisms so it's not clear to me that people really understand what it is. For people that are in favor of it, they should at least come clean, and say something like:

- " I am in favor of discriminating against some people based on race who are just as qualified or more qualified in order to achieve a greater social good" OR

- "I am in favor of discriminating against some people based on race just as qualified or more qualified in order to give a particular racial group a needed boost"

There are many variations on these themes and I don't want to put words in someone else's mouth. At least admin that AA is discrimination against someone in order to help someone else out. At least the Europeans have a are a bit more direct with their term for AA. They call it "POSITIVE DISCRIMINATION". I don't think the liberals in America actually have the guts to use that term.

My solution (it will take many years to fully work):

1. We have got to crank up education in this country. Some of it has to do with money. Some of it has to do with standards. The conditions in our schools, especially in our inner cities are absolutely unacceptable. A kid should be able to go into any school in a state and get an education whether or not they live in the district where the school is located. People in the inner cities should be marching on their state capitals demanding better education.

2. We need to build up our culture to cherish all children and communicate better to parents about what they need to do to get their kids educated. They say that your kids don't come with an instruction manual when they are born. Well, they should. White kids, black kids. Everybody. Modern psychology now basically knows how to raise a positive, curious child. These methods can be taught. These methods need to be taught to most parents, even the middle class and rich parents.

We need to continue to not tolerate racism. But let's not start by bashing people who are opposed to AA as being racist. I do have an individualist philosophy. That does not make me a racist. There are a lot of thoughtful intelligent people who are against AA. We have a whole bunch of ideas on what needs to be done to fix these problems.

It does still exist in subtle ways even if it is hard to quantify. We should be focusing on where the racism still exists. I have met the admissions people at the elite colleges. As far as they are concerned, being a minority is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » February 2nd, 2005, 6:23 pm

Invincible wrote:.... you proved why AA should hve been eliminated.

If the minority enrollments went down and Whitey's went up then if AA was enacted we can assume that the minorities enrollment will go back up and whitey's will go back down.

Doesn't that sound like AA was just propping up the minorities and holding whitey down?

Why is it ok to hold whity down but not the minoritys?

Let the best person for the position get it. Not let the best minority person get it.

I've seen countless situations where minorities got jobs or scholarships even though they weren't nearly as smart or nearly as hard working as the whites or asians who were turned down. Any "under repsresented" minority with talent knows that they do not have to work anywhere near as hard as a white to get a high paying job.

The biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action are middle and upper middle class blacks who don't even need affirmative action. The people that get left out are the lower class whites. It sucks when an upper middle class black kid with marginal test scores gets a scholarship because of affirmative action when a poor white with an equally low SAT score and similar grades does not get the scholarship.

It happens an enormous number of times in college admissions. Its the dirty secret of affirmative action.

nah. Asians still have to be more qualified than whites to get the same spot in schools. And the same treatment everywhere else in life. Just like for other minorities.

You can't deny that. Just try to.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » February 2nd, 2005, 7:42 pm

Sorry, ain't buying it.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » February 3rd, 2005, 2:25 pm

Can we really trust statistics all the time.......

blah
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by blah » February 3rd, 2005, 10:16 pm

stupid and ignorant

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » February 4th, 2005, 12:50 am

Blacks and Hispanics emphaize stupid shit like fake bravdo instead of scholarship and hardwork. They want respect but aren't willing to earn it legitamatly.

Indians, Asians and even Arabs are willing to put in the time and dicipline to achieve status beyond Air force ones, lowriders, spinners and "owning" in a prison riot.

When Hispanics and Blacks learn what other minorities already know then they won't be at the bottom of the social and economic scales any longer.

rio dude
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by rio dude » February 4th, 2005, 1:00 am

in asian do u also mean mean indian

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » February 4th, 2005, 5:56 am

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » February 7th, 2005, 11:01 am

There are quite some Blacks who actually work hard, study with all their efforts and, well lets simply put it= get into College, get good careers (sometimes we gotta define what "good" means to ourselves too), and provide for their kids via a legalized income.

What Blacks have gone through all throughout history in America/Canada is= often times being looked upon as "under-privilaged, ghettotized and under educated". This is a form of mental slavery. I believe in order for the Black Community to uplift itself, it needs to not fall prey to the media + society's hype; in regards to "Blacks being underprivilaged". Blacks can help themselves, educate themselves and, better themselves. Sometimes there are Blacks who are even born well off, cuz of their parents hard work in raising them.

i feel we need to stop characterizing A WHOLE group of people as such and such. There are different social classes, political beliefs, religious faiths, etc etc in every Ethnic group. There are some well off Blacks, Upper Middle class Blacks, Middle class Blacks, and poor Blacks. But, not every single Black person lives in the ghetto's of North America. It is no longer 1950. Times have changed. We need to respect that fact.

To lump a whole group of people under the assumption of poverty will not only breed the worlds sympathy but, also cause the world to look down on that group as "less superior" and look down on that group.

Ever told someone your wife/husband is Black to a non Black person and you sense a vibe from them???

Or you ever, as a professional emailed someone telling them you are Black from Los Angeles and, they ask you if you ever been in prison or shot????

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » February 12th, 2005, 11:55 pm

littlecat wrote:

Income in 1999 below poverty level:

United States California
White alone 9.14% 10.46%
Black alone 24.90% 22.41%
Hispanic alone 22.63% 22.13%
Asian alone 12.60% 12.83%

I've got a sneaking suspicion that we've got someone here that couldn't count his balls and come up with the same number twice.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » February 13th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Balls?????

wizdom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wizdom » February 20th, 2005, 7:33 pm

the statistics are crazy, but i know asians who are struggling like fuck, i hoods in Jersey City, Chicago, Cali. and the statistics dont show Pacific Islanders and shit

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » March 1st, 2005, 10:39 pm

I dont know about all that,

but I do know they cant f*cking drive.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by George » March 3rd, 2005, 9:59 am

fuck off

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » March 3rd, 2005, 7:41 pm

come on brother. Im just f*ckin around. I dont have anything against asians.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 3rd, 2005, 7:46 pm

LOL george u gotta admit that was kinda funny the way he said that

PlayaLarga
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PlayaLarga » March 4th, 2005, 12:47 pm

some of us chicanos are guilty of taking on the rice-rocket culture. i think we got better swerving and tailgating skills tho.

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”