IS THERE REALLY A SUCH THING AS LOOKING LATINO/HISPANIC OR A

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

IS THERE REALLY A SUCH THING AS LOOKING LATINO/HISPANIC OR A

Unread post by 100 » January 10th, 2005, 4:42 pm

IS THERE REALLY A SUCH THING AS LOOKING LATINO/HISPANIC OR ASAIN?

I HEAR IT ALL THE TIME READ A POST ON THIS BOARD SOMEONE STATYING THAT SOMEONE SAID HER PEOPLES LOOK HISPANIC? WHAT?

IF THERE IS A SUCH THING AS LOOKING LIKE A HISPANIC THEN PEOPLE WHO ARE HISPANIC/LATINO BUT DON'T FIT THE DESCRIPTION WHAT AR THEY?

LOOKING PUERTO RICAN- THERES ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE IN PUERTO RICO(NEGROS IN CAROLINA, LOIZA, MULLATAS, WHITES AND ASIANS AND TAINOS I THINK.

LOOKING MEXICAN? MEZTIZOS(MOSTLY) WHITES

, ASIANS AND A SPRINKLE A NEGROS(MORENAS)

CUBA- MULLATAS, NEGROS, WHITES

DOMINICAN REPUBLICANS- MOSTLY OF AFRICAN ORIGIN THOUGH THEY CLAIM TO BE INDIAN AND NOT BLACK OR AFRICAN, BUT MIXED MULLATA

PANAMA- AMERINDIANS, NEGROS, WESTINDIAN NEGROS FROM FRENCH AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CARIBBEAN, WHITES, ASIANS(EAST INDIANS FROM INDIA)

BELIZE- AMERINDIANS, METIZOS, LOTS OF NEGROS TOO(GARIFUNAS)

COLOMBIA- LOTS OF AFRO COLOMBIANS, WHITE, AMERINDIAN AND ETC, MIXED.

COSTA RICA- NEGROS ESP ALONG THE COAST, ALOT OF WHITES MEZTIZOS

VENUESUELA- PLENTY OF NEGROS, MEZTIZOS, MIXED ETC

SPANISH HONDURAS,ENGLISH HONDURAS--> NEGROS, WHITES, MIXED, MEZTIZO AND ETC

ARGENTINA- OVER 96% EUROPEAN

JUST A FEW COUNTRIES ABOVE^^^^

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Re: IS THERE REALLY A SUCH THING AS LOOKING LATINO/HISPANIC

Unread post by Silencioso » January 11th, 2005, 4:00 pm

In the SouthWest US, looking hispanic/latino generally implies looking mestizo or a darker Spaniard.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » January 11th, 2005, 4:15 pm

I get spoken to in Spanish all the damn time out here. Been pulled over a couple times by Cops looking for a "Hispanic Male in a Black Baseball Cap" or just Mexicans in general. Black folks think I'm either Samoan or Puerto Rican. These females uptown used to say I look like B-Real, white people say I look like Mr. Miyagi or light-skinned black. There's definitely looking like all types of things you may or may not be. A lot of times it tells you what kind of racism the person suffers from ,what they 'expect' to see, or want to see, instead of what may really be in front of them. Categories are a funny thing.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 11th, 2005, 4:18 pm

WHAA? @SILENCISO

THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE DON'T THEY KNOW THAT LATINOS CONSIST OF DIFFERENT CULTURES, AND ETHNIC AND RACIAL MAKEUPS.

ESP AMERICANS WHITE ONES EVEN BLACKS SAY THIS TYPE OF ISH YOU LOOK BLACK>>>SO REAL MEXICAN AMERIINDIAN DON'T APPLY TO IT?

I READ PLENTY OF STUFF ABOUT THE HISPANIC THING, MANY BELIEVE THAT IT IS A RACE ESP P.RS I JUST DON'T GETIT AND PROLLY NEVA WILL WHEN YOU HAVE A DIVERSE REGION HOW ARE ALL CONSIDERED 1 JUST CAUSE YOU SPEAK THE SAME LANGAUGE.

SHED SOME LIGHT IF YOU WILL

kodiak
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kodiak » January 18th, 2005, 11:48 am

Alot of people from south america and originally from Spain or native. If you see someone from Spain they are not dark. Alot of people from mexico/south america are darker that is because the Spanish settlers mixed with the natives there making thier skin tone darker. Although there are quit a few blue eye blond haired mexicans out there.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 18th, 2005, 6:27 pm

kodiak wrote:Alot of people from south america and originally from Spain or native. If you see someone from Spain they are not dark. Alot of people from mexico/south america are darker that is because the Spanish settlers mixed with the natives there making thier skin tone darker. Although there are quit a few blue eye blond haired mexicans out there.

AS FAR AS THE SPAIN AND SOUTH AMERICA THING:

NO THAT WOULD MAKE THEM LIGHTER YA THINK NOT DARKER. SOMEONE USUALLY THATS WHITISH MIXING WITH SOME NATIVE WOULD NOT MAKE THEM DARKER NATIVES WERE NOT ALL THAT DARK YA THINK?

OF COURSE THERE ARE WHITE/BLUE AND BLOND HAIR WHITES IN MEXICO WHITE LATINOS

CAMERON DIAZ=WHITE LATINO
SAMMY SOSA= WANNABE INDIO LATINO
CELIA CRUZ=AFRO-LATINO ETC ETC

MARIA(THIS MEXICAN GYAL THAT WORKED AT MY JOB) SHE IS MEXICAN BUT IS NOT USUALLY XCEPTED CAUSE SOME MEXICANS SAY SHE LOOK LIKE A LIGHT SKINNED AFRICAN AMERICAN.

HER PARENTS IN MEXICO ARE MORENA AND WHITE

kodiak
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kodiak » January 19th, 2005, 12:56 am

Depends on the genes of the parents really and which are dominent. There are many different people in many different places yes. What i'm saying is majority of people from mexico got their darker skin compared to european cultures do to the spainards mixing with the natives in south america/mexico.
Native americans have a darker tint to their skin compared to white people and lighter then black people, hence brown pride?

Lets say this: a black person and white person decide to have a child. mixing the two races will USUALLY make that child darker then the white person and lighter then the black person. Same is true if you mix a white person and a native.

Off the topic sorta though i found out something interesting i heard that the darker your skin in Mexico the worse people treated you due to these reasons: Whiter people have more of a pure Spainish bloodline compared to darker people having more native bloodline. From what i gather this was because spainish people were in power and natives were thought of little better then animals. I asked my wifes parents because both migrated to the US in their 30's and they confirmed that yes that was true, also spoke with a older man that just migrated here a few years ago from Mexico and he said yes that it was true. All of them did say though its changed much compared to many years ago and that was mostly phasing itself out now pretty much. Anymore feedback on this? Curious for me to hear more about that.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » January 19th, 2005, 8:44 am

I bet you cant tell the difference between southern italians ,spaniyards ,greece people and latinos if i d show you some of those i know.
so whats all that crap of lookin latino or whatever about.
Its just a thing of the ghettos of the mind.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 19th, 2005, 3:25 pm

Sentenza wrote:I bet you cant tell the difference between southern italians ,spaniyards ,greece people and latinos if i d show you some of those i know.
so whats all that crap of lookin latino or whatever about.
Its just a thing of the ghettos of the mind.
I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WERE TALKING TO ME BUT:

>>>SOUTHERN ITALIANS ARE NOT ALL DARK WHITE SKINNED.
I'VE SEEN SPAINARDS SOME LOOK LIKE A WHITE ENGLISHMEN SOME LOOK DARKER WHITE SO WHAT!

IF (THIS WAS 1991, ME BEING 10YRS OLD THEN
AND)YOU POSTED BOBBY BONILLA I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE WAS AFRICAN AMERICAN BLACK INSTEAD OF A BLACK LATINO

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 19th, 2005, 3:47 pm

kodiak wrote:Depends on the genes of the parents really and which are dominent. There are many different people in many different places yes. What i'm saying is majority of people from mexico got their darker skin compared to european cultures do to the spainards mixing with the natives in south america/mexico.
Native americans have a darker tint to their skin compared to white people and lighter then black people, hence brown pride?

Lets say this: a black person and white person decide to have a child. mixing the two races will USUALLY make that child darker then the white person and lighter then the black person. Same is true if you mix a white person and a native.

Lets say this: a black person and white person decide to have a child. mixing the two races will USUALLY make that child darker then the white person and lighter then the black person.

>>>>>IM 50/50 ON THAT ONE! I KNOW A HALF BLACK HALF WHITE CHILD THATS BROWN AS HELL HE DONT FIT THE STEREOTYPICAL MODEL OF A MIXED KID AND HE HALF BLACK AND HALF WHITE PEOPLE THINK HE BLACK ONLY OR ADOPTED BUT THE TRUTH IS HE MIXED.

Same is true if you mix a white person and a native.

>>>>WHAT--->
KIND OF NATIVES ARE YOU REFERING TOO? IVE BEEN TO POW WOWS AND PURE NATIVE AMERICANS FROM THIS COUNTRY(ONEIDA, POTAWATOMI, BLACK FOOT.
HAVE REDDISH WHITE LOOKING SKIN AND NOT TO FAR FROM WHITE BUT THEY AINT WHITE THEY ARE NATIVE AMERICAN.

NOW NATIVE MEXICANS IVE BEEN TOLD THEY WERE LIGHT TANNED/ EVEN DARK BROWN AS MOST AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE IF I WAS ABLE TO POST PICS ON HERE I WOULD TAKE A PICTURE OF THIS MURAL OFF A RESTURANT CALLED ACAPULCO ON THE SOUTH SIDE IN MILWAUKEE, WI THAT NATIVE MEXICAN WOMAN
IS DARKER WAY DARKER THAN THE AVG. MEXICANS I SEE ON THE STREET. NOW BACK TO WHAT YOU WERE SAYING ABOUT:

What i'm saying is majority of people from mexico got their darker skin compared to european cultures do to the spainards mixing with the natives in south america/mexico.

NOW GO BACK AND READ WHAT U SAID ABOUT BLACK AND WHITE PEOPLE MAKING KIDS! NOW IF IT WAS DUE TO THE SPAINARDS MIXING WITH THE NATIVES THEN THE RESULT WILL BE MUCH LIGHTER YA THINK SPEAKING ON THE BEHALF OF WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT AND THERE ARE STILL PURE NATIVES IN MEXICO AS YOU KNOW THAT DON'T SPEAK SPANISH.

OH YEAH AND A SPAINARD MIXING WITH A NATIVE MAKES A MEZTIZO NOT ANOTHER TYPE OF NATIVE MEXICAN UNLESS PARENTS/GRANDPARENTS GR GRAND PARENTS
ARE AUTHENTIC MEX-INDIANS BUT MEZTIZOS OUT NUMBER EVERYONE.

BUT THATS NOT BROWN(ORIGINAL) THERE ARE PLENTY OF BROWN COLORS BUT I GUESS,CRAYON BROWN IS DARKER THAN I AM

AND ALL BLACKS ARE NOT THE SAME COLOR ACTUALLY WERE BLACK RACIALLY NOT BY THE COLOR OF OUR SKIN THERES HISTORY BEHIND US BEING CALLED LABELS AND ACCEPTING BLACK AS A IDENTITY TU SABES

kodiak
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kodiak » January 19th, 2005, 4:47 pm

OK your trying to shoot down my discussion, although you arent giving any other answers. Since you think you have such a vast knowledge of that area you tell me then why are most people from mexico darker then people from spain?

The natives i'm refering to are Inca's, Aztecs, and Maya's. The other tribes in South America I'm not sure of the names of the tribes.

Your trying to push a point i have already conceded to. That being that there is exceptions to anything. Although i'm talking about vast majority not the exceptions.

Black people have different skin tones from one to another? NO SHIT ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? Your telling me some white people are darker then another?!?! You sir have crushed my world (sarcasm no shit sherlock)

Go to google and type in Inca maya or aztec. Also type in early mexican history.

I'm trying to find your point or are you just working on your typing skills? I have conceded yes there are exceptions.

1OldSchool
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1OldSchool » January 19th, 2005, 5:01 pm

u believe everything you read on the internet or books as facts??

kodiak
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kodiak » January 19th, 2005, 5:16 pm

No i do not.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 21st, 2005, 3:15 pm

kodiak wrote:OK your trying to shoot down my discussion, although you arent giving any other answers. Since you think you have such a vast knowledge of that area you tell me then why are most people from mexico darker then people from spain?

The natives i'm refering to are Inca's, Aztecs, and Maya's. The other tribes in South America I'm not sure of the names of the tribes.

Your trying to push a point i have already conceded to. That being that there is exceptions to anything. Although i'm talking about vast majority not the exceptions.

Black people have different skin tones from one to another? NO SHIT ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? Your telling me some white people are darker then another?!?! You sir have crushed my world (sarcasm no shit sherlock)

Go to google and type in Inca maya or aztec. Also type in early mexican history.

I'm trying to find your point or are you just working on your typing skills? I have conceded yes there are exceptions.

OK your trying to shoot down my discussion, although you arent giving any other answers. Since you think you have such a vast knowledge of that area you tell me then why are most people from mexico darker then people from spain?

NOT ALL OF THEM BUT YES THE VAST MAJORITY! AND THERE IS A WHITEING GOING ON IN MEXICO ALSO EVERY TYHING YOU SEE ABOUT A MEXICAN NOVELA IS WHITE/SPANISH OR WHITISH MEZTIZO LOOKING.
AND WHAT ABOUT THOSE NEGROS DOWN THERE NOT MANY BUT THEY ARE THERE AND SOME OF ARE MIXED WITH THEM.

>>>>THE MAYANS DON'T EVEN EXIST NEMORE. AND ALL I HEAR MEXICANS CLAIM IS AZTEC AND I SAW A DOCUMENATRY OF MEXICO A NATIVE WOMAN HELP A SPAINARD CONQUER ALOT OF TRIBES AND MEXICO AND THE DOCUMENTARY WAS DONE BY A MEZTIZO WOMAN NOT A WHITE PERSON.

>>>HELLLL YES COMPARE DANNY DEVITO TO ARNOLD(TOM ARNOLD)
ALOT OF TIMES I HEAR WHITES SAY THEY LIKE A DARK MAN I THOUGHT THEY REFERED TO COLOR SKIN TONES BUT THEY WERE TALKING BOUT A DARKER SHADE OF WHITE? BEATS THE HELL OUT OF ME?

>>.WILL DO!

NO I HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE OF MEXICO

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » January 21st, 2005, 3:35 pm

bolivians looks like pinoys

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 21st, 2005, 3:45 pm

these are the types in bolivia

Quechua, Afro-Bolivian, mestizo

kodiak
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kodiak » January 21st, 2005, 3:50 pm

The Maya Today

The Maya civilization and culture used to cover most of the Mesoamerican region. Now most of the Maya have blended in with the modern cultures of the area.

There are few Mayans today due to the fact that the Guatemalan government wanted to destroy the Mayan culture. But there are still more than 6 million who live mostly in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. Even though they still wear their ancient clothing styles, the also like to wear new and modern clothes. In Mayan villages you'll find cars and trucks on the road. They have schools and some Catholic churches. Most homes have radios and electricity. Some villages even have movie theaters, gas stations and taverns. Mayans still learn about their ancestors and their ancient number system and heiroglyphics. Many of them prefer to be part of the Mayan minority then blend in with the others in their country.

There are still some priests who understand the ancient calendar. People come to these Daykeepers to know about baby names, wedding dates and other special occasions.

They do infact exist today.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 24th, 2005, 12:37 pm

OKAY!

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » January 24th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Spaniards aren't particularly blonde so you're not going to see alot of blonde/blue eyed latinos.

Examples of white Spanish people are Penelope Cruz, Antonio Banderas and Daisy Fuentes.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » January 27th, 2005, 3:03 pm

SO PENELOPE IS WHAT YOU WOULD CALL A WHITE-LATINO OR A SPANISH-CUBAN?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 29th, 2005, 4:53 am

Remember European history guys. Spain was invaded by the Moors in the 8th century I think (not sure on the date), but nonetheless they were invaded by the Moors, a mainly northern african group of people with sprinkles of Arabs, and the southern half of Spain was under Moorish rule for about 700 years. Of course, like any invading force they mixed in with the natives. Thats why some Spaniards, are very tan, and have black hair ,e.g, Antonio Banderas. Also you get some of your more caustic sounding spanish words, from the Arabic the Moors infused into the Spanish language. Examples are: cafe, Azucar, cero. Anyways, the Moors never got into Northern Spain, so the whole country didn't get the Moorish genes. Queen Isabella beat out the Moors in 1492, but after 700 years of intermarriage, you're going to see phenotypical differences, and realize geneotypical differences. This happened also with other Mediterranean white peoples, for example the Siclians.

kodiak
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kodiak » January 29th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Didn't know that one perongregory thanks for the info. =)

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » January 30th, 2005, 1:34 am

De nada. I'm here to drop the knowledge.

PolarAC
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by PolarAC » February 2nd, 2005, 5:39 pm

What trips me are the Dominicans

When I used to live back east, the dominicans seperated themselves from black americans, just really saying that they were latino and disregarding the african connection, even though some of them were dark as hell with nappy ass hair.

Now out here in L.A. (where the main latino group is mexican) , the few Dominicans that I have seen tend to group up with black americans, even the lighter ones.

Just goes to show you, when the things get lonely, you will gravitate towards your people.

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » February 2nd, 2005, 8:47 pm

what about white Mexicans, how are they accepted in a majority Mexican Meztiso hood. If you look at the President of Mexico (Vincente Fox) he is definately from a white Spanish family.

DC

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » February 3rd, 2005, 8:00 am

PolarAC wrote:What trips me are the Dominicans

When I used to live back east, the dominicans seperated themselves from black americans, just really saying that they were latino and disregarding the african connection, even though some of them were dark as hell with nappy ass hair.

Now out here in L.A. (where the main latino group is mexican) , the few Dominicans that I have seen tend to group up with black americans, even the lighter ones.

Just goes to show you, when the things get lonely, you will gravitate towards your people.
The Dominicans also separate themselves from the Puerto Ricans pretty solid out here, especially Uptown like in the 135-140's and up on the Westside of Harlem. They got their own neighborhoods, their own food, they keep themselves distinct, and sometimes there's beef over PR or D.R.
But also you got plenty of Dominicans in Spanish Harlem down in the 110-125's on the Eastside, that pretty much blend in with Blacks, PR's, etc. If the family chooses to remain in their culture, they'll stay in a hood that allows for that, other hoods are just too mixed to really make that possible.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » February 5th, 2005, 12:20 pm

YOU KNOW WHAT WHEN I WENT TO NY I WAS IN HARLEM AROUND LEXINGTON RIGHT BEFORE YOU ENTER THE WEST SIDE I GOT OFF THE METRA NORTH TRAIN WENT TO MCDONALDS ETC ETC EVERY BODY WAS BLACK I SAW FEW WHITE LATINOS AROUND THEN I ASKED WHERE IS SPANISH HARLEM? ONE DUDE LOOK AT ME SAID SPANISH HARLEM ITS JUST HARLEM A HISTORICAL BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD HE ALSO STATED THAT HE DON'T KNOW WHY THEY ADDED SPANISH TO IT AND IT'S A HISTORICAL BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD BEFORE HISPANCS GOT THERE

WHATS YOUR TAKE?

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » February 5th, 2005, 3:14 pm

Vicente Fox is actually half Irish.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » February 5th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Northern European whites are part Mongoloid. East Asian DNA has been found in Scandinavians, Germans, Russians and Poles.

BobBarker
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BobBarker » February 5th, 2005, 5:50 pm

There's no such thing as looking hispanic. That's a term they came up with to group all spanish speaking people together. Every country has various races just like america but when americans think of a hispanic we think of a tan skinned indian/white looking person cause most of aren't aware that countries in south/central america and the carribean have diverse people.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » February 5th, 2005, 7:19 pm

Silencioso wrote:Northern European whites are part Mongoloid. East Asian DNA has been found in Scandinavians, Germans, Russians and Poles.
thats true, finnish and hungarian are mongoloid languages, so you can see that they had an impact on europe.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » February 6th, 2005, 1:05 pm

100 wrote:YOU KNOW WHAT WHEN I WENT TO NY I WAS IN HARLEM AROUND LEXINGTON RIGHT BEFORE YOU ENTER THE WEST SIDE I GOT OFF THE METRA NORTH TRAIN WENT TO MCDONALDS ETC ETC EVERY BODY WAS BLACK I SAW FEW WHITE LATINOS AROUND THEN I ASKED WHERE IS SPANISH HARLEM? ONE DUDE LOOK AT ME SAID SPANISH HARLEM ITS JUST HARLEM A HISTORICAL BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD HE ALSO STATED THAT HE DON'T KNOW WHY THEY ADDED SPANISH TO IT AND IT'S A HISTORICAL BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD BEFORE HISPANCS GOT THERE

WHATS YOUR TAKE?
My guess is you got off on 125th. Believe it or not, compared to higher up in the 45's (145's they - leave the 1 out) and up, 125 and that area has a good amount of Spanish speakers. Of course, Harlem is legendary as a historical Black neighborhood, but 125 and down (mostly 100-116) has many Dominicans, PR's, Cubans, and now Mexicans and Salvadorians they might not be the DOMINANT group, but there is a large number compared to other areas.

To many people they Harlem and East Harlem (Spanish Harlem) don't look different, but they got different histories.

East Harlem (Spanish Harlem)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the south and east of Harlem, East Harlem (also known as Spanish Harlem or El Barrio) is not easily distinguishable from its larger neighbor. Beginning on East 96th Street, from Fifth Avenue east to the river, the neighborhood runs north to 125th Street. It was once a predominantly Italian and Irish neighborhood. Pleasant Avenue still has some Italian families living there, along with Rao's, a New York institution and dining destination for the city's movers and shakers. In the 1920's, Puerto Ricans began to settle in the neighborhood, becoming the largest ethnic group. Now as the next immigrant wave settles in, the neighborhood remains heavily Latino, but with a wider range of nationalities. Mexicans, Ecuadorians, Colombians and Dominicans have joined the populace, adding their rich cultures to the mix. El Barrio is also the beginning of Museum Mile, with the Museo del Barrio, the Museum of the City of New York and the Central Park Conservatory along Fifth Avenue. Recently, the late bandleader Tito Puente was memorialized with a section of East 110th Street renamed after him.

Harlem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the largest of New York's neighborhoods, Harlem is the epicenter of African-American culture in America. Beginning at 110th Street, it spans most of the area from the East River to the Hudson River up to 155th Street. There are several smaller neighborhoods within Harlem that have their own singular feel. Striver's Row, with its stately and well-kept brownstones, has become a well-to-do district where homes are selling at prices comparable to those further south in Manhattan. Hamilton Heights and Sugar Hill, with early examples of high-rise buildings, classic townhouses and brownstones, are quiet sections. Morningside Gardens, just below the Heights and bordering Morningside Park, has classic New York pre-war buildings with high ceilings and ample closet space. Many lovely brownstones line the side streets and Manhattan Avenue. This part of Harlem has become a destination for families and couples looking for the same kind of space as on the Upper West Side, but for less money. The Mt. Morris Park Historic District, with its elegant homes, resembles Gramercy Park. Long the cultural and commercial heart of Harlem and the New York black community, 125th Street, running from river to river, is being revitalized. HMV, Modell's, Disney, the Wiz, Foot Locker and many other major retailers have opened or plan to open new stores on the street. In the 1800's and early 1900's, many middle class black families moved to Harlem after the development of the Tenderloin and Hell's Kitchen areas, where many African-Americans had settled in the years following the Civil War. The roaring 1920's and the Harlem Renaissance helped to define the style and grace of Harlem's middle class and wealthier families, and established the neighborhood as the foremost center of black American life.